Lower urinary tract dysfunction, Urinary incontinence, Neurourology, Regenerative urology, Reconstructive Urology
1. University of Michigan Urology department poster award, May 2022.
2. AUA2021 Basic Science symposium travel grant award.
3. SUFU 2020 best poster award, February 2020.
4. SUFU 2020 Neuromodulation grant.
5. North Central Section (NCS) of AUA 2019, best poster award, October 2019.
6. American Urology Association, member, 2014-present.
7. Task force member, Society of Women in Urology (SWIU), May 2018-present.
8. Travel award – AUA 2019 basic science symposium, May 2019.
9. Best oral presentation award, Urology symposium at University Hospital Cleveland Medical Center, January 2017.
10. Rodney Appell SUFU Travelling Preceptorship grant, January 2017.
11. SUFU 2015 best poster award, and resident travel award, February 2015.
12. SUFU 2014 best poster award, February 2014.
13. Travel award- MSC2013- NIH; for participating at MSC 2013 conference, Ohio, 2013.
14. NIH/T32 grant for a year of research fellowship at Urology Institute, UHCMC, Cleveland, Ohio, 2013.
15. Invention Disclosure submission on “Use of Lavacell labeling for invivo trafficking of cells”, to Center of Clinical Research and Technology, University Hospitals Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, USA. (Dr. Adonis Hijaz, Dr. Chris Flask, Dr. Zhina Sadeghi, Joseph Molter).
16. Travel Award- AUA- NIH; for participating at “Nanomedicine Basic Science symposium”, AUA 2012, Atlanta, USA.
17. Travel Award- AUA- NIH/NIDDK for participating at “Stem cell and Basic Science symposium”, AUA 2011, Washington D.C., USA.
18. Silver Medal of National Biology Olympiads, 1999, Tehran, Iran.
19. Student at National Organization of Exceptional Talented Students (NODETs), Iran. 1993-2000.
Dr. Zhina Sadeghi is fellowship trained in neurourology, female and reconstructive urologic surgery from University of Michigan. Her expertise of urological diseases includes pelvic organ prolapse, urinary storage and voiding dysfunction (overactive bladder, urinary incontinence, etc.), urethral and bladder neck pathologies (diverticulum, stricture, etc.), neurogenic bladder, radiation cystitis, complications of urinary diversion and stomas, recurrent UTIs, urinary tract fistulas, evaluation and management of hydronephrosis, ureteral obstruction and stricture diseases. She performs outpatient and complex inpatient, vaginal and abdominal, endoscopic, open, and laparoscopic robotic surgeries. Her major scientific interest is translational studies of urinary system storage and voiding dysfunction including pathogenesis of urethral and bladder dysfunction, and investigation of novel multipotent cell therapy, gene therapy and neuromodulation.
Her extensive training and research over the last 16 years has resulted in 30 publications in translational and clinical research mostly focused on lower urinary tract dysfunction and novel reconstructive treatments. This research studying lower urinary tract dysfunction involved development of different pre-clinical models of urinary incontinence, applying novel treatment options like stem cell therapy, and examining the mechanism of action of these novel therapies. These projects have laid a foundation of knowledge on how to apply urodynamic studies for modeling and to follow up impact of treatments from a cellular and micro-environment level to the major phenomenal functioning level of the genitourinary tract.
Her further interests is in investigating patient targeted therapy development and in discovering pathways to modulate neuronal signals to overcome the underlying dysfunctional pathology.
1. Moy BM, Andino JJ, Sadeghi Z, Gupta P. DaVinci-Assisted Laparoscopic Removal of an Intrauterine Device in the Bladder. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2022 Jul 10. doi: 10.1002/ijgo.14343. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 35810399.
2. Pipitone F, Sadeghi Z, DeLancey JOL. Urethral function and failure: A review of current knowledge of urethral closure mechanisms, how they vary, and how they are affected by life events. Neurourol Urodyn. 2021 Nov;40(8):1869-1879. (Journal Cover page Image.)
3. Sadeghi Z, Kenyon JD, Richardson B, Khalifa AO, Cartwright M, Conroy B, Caplan A, Cameron MJ, Hijaz A. Transcriptomic Analysis of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Therapy in Incontinent Rat Injured Urethra. Tissue Eng Part A. 2020 Jul;26(13-14):792-810.
4. Sadeghi Z, MacLennan G, Childs SJ, Zimmern PE. Is trigonitis a neglected, imprecise, misunderstood, or forgotten diagnosis? Low Urin Tract Symptoms. 2019 Sep;11(4):182-188.
5. Gupta K, Donnola SB, Sadeghi Z, Lu L, Erokwu BO, Kavran M, Hijaz A, Flask CA. (2017) Intrarenal injection of Escherichia coli in rat model of pyelonephritis. J Vis Exp. 18;(125).
6. Rivera-Delgado E, Sadeghi Z, Wang NX, Kenyon J, Kavran M, Flask C, Hijaz AZ, Von recum HA. (2016) Local release from affinity-based polymers increases urethral concentration of the stem cell chemokine CCL7 in rats. Miomedical materials. 11(2):025033.
7. Sutton MT, Fletcher D, Ghosh SK, Weinberg A, Van heeckeren R, Kaur S, Sadeghi Z, Reese J, Lennon DP, Caplan AI, Bonfield TL. (2016), Antimicrobial properties of mesenchymal stem cells: therapeutic potential for cystic fibrosis infection, and treatment. Stem cells international. Stem Cells Int. 2016:5303048
8. Sadeghi Z, Isariyawongse J, Kavran M, Izgi K, Marini G, Molter J, Daneshgari F, Flask CA, Caplan A, Hijaz A. (2016) Mesenchymal stem cell therapy in rat model of birth-trauma injury: functional improvement and biodistribution. International urogynecology journal. 27(2)291-300.
9. Kajbafzadeh AM, Mehdizadeh M, Aryan Z, Ebadi M, Esfahani SA, Montaser-kouhsari L, Elmi A, Talab SS, Sadeghi Z. (2014) Drainage-related ultrasonography (DRUS): A novel technique for discriminating obstructive and non obstructive hydroureters in children. J ultrasound. 18(2) 117-25.
10. Neupane R, Sadeghi Z, Fu R, Hagstrom SA, Moore CK, Daneshgari F (2014) Mutation screen of LOXL1 in patients with female pelvic organ prolapse. 20(6)316-21.
11. Cheng JW, Sadeghi Z, Levine AD, Penn MS, Von Recum HA, Caplan AI, Hijaz A (2014), The role of CXCL12 and CCL7 chemokines in immune regulation, embryonic development, and tissue regeneration. Cytokine 69(2):277-83.
12. Hijaz AK, Grimberg KO, Tao M, Schmotzer B, Sadeghi Z, Lin YH, Kavran M, Ozer A, Xiao N, Daneshgari F. Stem cell homing factor, CCL7, expression in mouse models of stress urinary incontinence. (2013) Female pelvic medicine reconstruction surgery 19(6)356-61..
13. Helfer H, Balducci A, Sadeghi Z, OHanlon C, Hijaz A, Flask C, Wesa A. 19F MRI tracer preserve in vitro and in vivo properties of hematopoietic stem cells. (2012) Journal of Cell Transplantation. 22(2):87-97.
14. Hijaz A, Sadeghi Z, Byrne L, Hou JC, Daneshgari F. Advanced maternal age as a risk factor for stress urinary incontinence: a review of the literature. Int Urogynecol J. 2011. 23(4):395-401.
15. Kajbafzadeh AM, Esfahani SA, Sadeghi Z, Elmi A, Monajemzadeh M. Application of different scaffolds for bladder wall regeneration: The bladder as a natural bioreactor. Tissue Eng Part A. 2012. 18(7-8):882-7.
16. Kajbafzadeh AM, Elmi A, Sadeghi Z, Emami A, Sotoudeh M. Autografting of Renal Progenitor Cells Ameliorates Kidney Damage in Experimental Model of Pyelonephritis. J of Cell Medicine. 2010. 1 (3): 115-122(8).
17. Kajbafzadeh AM, Sadeghi Z, Esfahani AS, Fisher C, Judson I.
Adult Pelvic Neuroblastoma: Long-Term Survival and Review of the Literatures. Turk J Urol. 2011. 37(2):167-171
18. Kajbafzadeh AM, Baradaran N, Sadeghi Z, Tourchi A, Saeedi P, Madani A, Ataei N, Taghavinejad AM, Mohsseni MJ. Children with Vesicoureteral Reflux and Primary Bladder Neck Dysfunction: Urodynamic Evaluation and randomized double blind clinical Trial on the Effect of Alpha-Adrenergic-Blocker Therapy. J Urol. 2010; 184(5):2128-33
19. Kajbafzadeh AM, Tourchi A, Elmi A, Sadeghi Z, Ramyar A, Mahjoob F. Teratoid Wilms' Tumor with Hypertension Treated with Partial Nephrectomy: Case Report with Literature Review. Eur J Pediatr Surg. 2010;20(4):270-2
20. Elmi A, Kajbafzadeh AM, Sadeghi Z, Tanhaeivash R, Mirzadeh H. Biodegradable Mini Plate and Screw: A Secure Method for Internal Fixation of Symphysis Pubis in Animal Model of Pubic Diastasis. Urology 2010; 75(3):676-81
21. Esfahani SA, Montaser-kouhsari L, Saeedi P, Sadeghi Z, Kajbafzadeh AM. An antenatally diagnosed rhabdomyosarcoma of the bladder treated without extensive surgery. Nature reviews Urology 2009;6(8):449-53
22. Sadeghi Z, Kajbafzadeh AM, Tajik P, Monajemzadeh M, Payabvash S, Elmi A. Vitamin E administration at the onset of fever prevents renal scarring in acute pyelonephritis. Pediatr Nephrol. 2008 Sep; 23(9):1503-10.
23. A Elmi, Zh Sadeghi, S Elmi, B Daraei, M Ghazi-Khansari. Hepatoprotective role of captopril on paraquat induced hepatotoxicity. Hepatoprotective role of captopril on paraquat induced hepatotoxicity. Human & Experimental Toxicology 2007 Oct;26(10):789-94.
24. Payabvash S, Kajbafzadeh AM, Saeedi P, Sadeghi Z, Elmi A, Mehdizadeh M. Application of magnetic resonance urography in diagnosis of congenital urogenital anomalies in children. Pediatr Surg Int. 2008 Sep;24(9):979-86.
25. Kajbafzadeh AM, Elmi A, Payabvash S, Salmasi AH, Saeedi P, Mohamadkhani A, Sadeghi Z, Nikfarjam L. Transurethral autologous myoblast injection for treatment of urinary incontinence in children with classic bladder exstrophy. J Urol. 2008 Sep;180(3):1098-105.
26. Kajbafzadeh AM, Payabvash S, Sadeghi Z, Elmi A, Jamal A, Hantoshzadeh Z, Eslami L, Mehdizadeh M. Comparison of magnetic resonance urography with ultrasound studies in detection of fetal urogenital anomalies. J Pediatr Urol. 2008 Feb;4(1):32-9.
27. Kajbafzadeh AM, Payabvash S, Tavangar SM, Salmasi AH, Sadeghi Z, Elmi A, Tirgari F, Razavi AE. Comparison of Different Techniques for Hemostasis in a Rabbit Model of Hypospadias Repair. Journal of Urology. 2007; 178:2555-60.
28. Kajbafzadeh AM, Elmi A, Payabvash S, Sina A, Arshadi H, Sadeghi Z. The urethral valve of Guerin and lacuna magna: clinical presentations and urodynamic findings. Pediatric surgery international 2007;23(9):873-8.
29. Payabvash S, Kajbafzadeh AM, Tavangar SM, Monajemzadeh M, Sadeghi Z. Myocyte apoptosis in primary obstructive megaureters: the role of decreased vascular and neural supply. Journal of Urology. 2007;178(1):259-64.
30. Kajbafzadeh AM, Payabvash S, Salmasi AH, Sadeghi Z, Elmi A, Vejdani K, Tavangar SM, Tajik P, Mahjoub F. Time-Dependent Neovasculogenesis and Regeneration of Different Bladder Wall Components in the Bladder Acellular Matrix Graft in Rats. Journal of Surgical Research. 2007;139(2),189-202.
31. Hajimehdipoor H, Sadeghi Z, Elmi S, Elmi A, Ghazi-Khansari M, Amanzadeh Y, Sadat-Ebrahimi SE. Protective effects of Swertia longifolia Boiss. and its active compound, swerchirin, on paracetamol-induced hepatotoxicity in mice. Journal of Pharm Pharmacol. 2006;58(2),277-80.