Assistant Clinical Professor, Neurology
B.A., Dartmouth College, 2012, Biology
M.D., Geisel School of Medicine at Dartmouth, 2016, Medicine
University of California, Irvine
200 S. Manchester, Suite 206, Orange, CA 92868
Orange, CA 92697
Traumatic Brain Injury, Multimodal Neuromonitoring, Critical Care EEG, Epileptiform Abnormalities, Brain Health, Neurocritical Care
-NIH Summer Internship Program (SIP), National Institutes of Health
-James O. Freedman Presidential Scholar, Dartmouth College
-Scholarship to the Annual Meeting, American Academy of Neurology
-Chief Resident, UCSD
-Golden Neuron Award, “Outstanding Teacher”, UCSD
-Golden Neuron Award, “Outstanding Resident”, UCSD
-Reviewer Achievement Award, American Academy of Neurology
Dr. Chen is an assistant clinical professor of neurology and neurointensivist with a particular interest in traumatic brain injury (TBI) and the multifaceted personal challenges these patients and their families face. He hopes to develop a comprehensive inpatient-outpatient service which fills current gaps in TBI care in a personalized yet methodical manner. He hopes to better understand the long term chronic sequelae, including the effect of TBI on degenerative diseases , medical comorbidities and brain health. He also has an interest in how we may best apply novel multimodal technology such as cerebral microdialysis and EEG in the neuro-intensive care unit in a practical and efficient manner.
1. Izzy S, Chen PM, Tahir Z, et al. Association of Traumatic Brain Injury With the Risk of Developing Chronic Cardiovascular, Endocrine, Neurological, and Psychiatric Disorders. Jama Netw Open. 2022; 5(4)
2. Ali A, Khawaja A, Reilly A, Tahir Z, Rao S, Bernstock J, Chen P, et al. Venous Thromboembolism Risk and Outcomes Following decompressive Craniectomy in Severe Traumatic Brain Injury: An Analysis of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample Database. World Neurosurgery; 2022.; 161: e531-e545.
3. Migdady I*, Chen PM*, Izzy S, et al. Cerebral Hyperperfusion and Delayed Coma Recovery after Subdural Hematoma Evacuation. Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Disease. 2021; 30 (12). *co-first authorship
4. Chen PM, Trando A, Labuzetta J. Simulation-Based Training Improves Fellows’ Competence in Brain Death Discussion and Declaration. Neurologist. 2021. In press
5. Nacimiento F, Chen PM, Westover B. Generalized periodic discharges with triphasic morphology – to treat or not to treat? Epileptic Disorders. 2021; 23 (2). PMID: 33926861
6. Labuzetta JN, Chen PM. Response to: “Gaps in Understanding About Brain Death in Various Health Care Professionals and Families”. Neurohospitalist. 2021.
7. Chen PM, Olson S, Handwerker J. Bithalamic Lesions: Cranial dural arteriovenous fistula (dAVF) Manifesting as Thalamic Dementia. Stroke. 2020; 51 (12). PMID: 33131425.
8. Chen PM, Meyer D, Meyer BC. Encephalopathy Only Stroke Codes (EoSC) Do Not Result in rt-PA Treatments. Journal of Stroke Cerebrovascular Disease. 2020; 29 (9). PMID: 32807437.
9. Chen PM, Hemmen TM. Evolving Healthcare Delivery in Neurology During the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic. Frontiers in Neurology. 2020; 11:578. PMID: 32574251.
10. Chen PM, Labuzetta JN. A Qualitative Identification of Gaps in Understanding About Brain Death Amongst Trainees, Healthcare Personnel and Families at an Academic Medical Center. Neurohospitalist 2020; https://doi.org/10.1177/1941874420923906
11. Chen PM, Chen M, Chia-Chun C, et al. Moyamoya Presenting After Whole Body Cryotherapy. Acta Neurologica Taiwanica 2020.; 29 (2): 64-66. PMID: 32436205.
12. Alakkas A, Chen P, Chen M, et al. Hyperglycemia Related Occipital Lobe Seizures. JRSM Open 2020; 11 (6). PMID: 32595976.
13. Chen PM, Ben-Haim S, Handwerker J, Ansari H. Cluster-Tic or Tic-Cluster? Trigeminal Neuralgia (Tic) Turning to Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgia (TAC) Following Venous Decompression of the Trigeminal Nerve: A Case Report and Review of the Literature. Ann Head Med 2020; 01:02.
14. Abrahams P, Longardner K, Chen PM, et al. Case: 279: Central-Variant Posterior Reversible Encephalopathy. Radiology. 2020; 296 (1): 239-243. PMID: 3253964.
15. Abrahams P, Longardner K, Chen PM, et al. Case 279. Radiology. 2020; 294 (3)-714-715. PMID: 32069186
16. Chen PM, Evans S. Emerging Subspecialties: Medical Education. Neurology. 2019; 93 (6): 273-276. PMID: 31383802
17. Chen PM, Pirastefar M, Hailey L, et al. PREMISE: Posterior Circulation Results Comparing Embolectomy to Medical Intervention in Stroke Emergencies. Cureus. 2019; 11(10): e6000. doi:10.7759/cureus.6000. PMID: 31807387
18. Chen M, Chen PM, Meyer BC, et al. Mapping a reliable stroke onset time course using signal intensity on DWI scans. Journal of Neuroimaging. 2019. doi: 10.1111/jon.12616. PMID: 30932243
19. Chen PM, Lehmann B, Meyer BC, et al. Timing of symptomatic intracerebral hemorrhage (sICH) after rt-PA Treatment in Ischemic Stroke. Neurology Clinical Practice. 2019; 9 (4): 304-308. PMID: 31583184
20. Chen PM , Meyer DM, Claycomb R, Agrawal K, Meyer B. Encephalopathy only stroke code (EoSC) rarely lead to final diagnosis of stroke. Neurology Research International. 2019: 2105670. PMID: 30886747
21. Chen PM, Chen M, McDonald M, et al. Illustrative Cases: Cranial Dural Arteriovenous Malformation, a Treatable Mimic. Stroke. 2018; 49: 12: e332-e334. PMID: 30561436.
22. Chen PM, Nguyen D, Ho JP, et al. Factors Influencing Acute Stroke Thrombolytic Treatments in Hispanics in the San Diego Region. Austin J Cerebrovasc Dis Stroke. 2018; 5(1): 1074. PMCID: PMC6103626
23. Rourke D*, Chen PM*, Gaspard N, et al. Response Rates to Anticonvulsant Trials in Patients with Triphasic-Wave EEG Patterns of Uncertain Significance. Neurocritical Care. 2015; 24(2):233-9. PMCID: PMC4870012 *co-first authorship
24. Dietrich M, Ankeny C, Chen PM. Publication Trends in Model Organism Research. Genetics 2014; 198:1-8. PMCID: PMC4224171
25. Cecil S, Chen P, Callaway S, et al. Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI): Advanced Multimodal Neuromonitoring from Theory to Clinical Practice. Crit Care Nurse. 2011; 31: 25-37. PMID: 20592189
26. Chen P, Gombart Z, Chen J. Chloroquine Treatment of ARPE-19 Cells Leads to Lysosome Dilation and Intracellular Lipid Accumulation: Possible Implications of Lysosomal Dysfunction in Macular Degeneration. Cell & Bioscience. 2011; 1(10). PMCID: PMC3125200
Society of Critical Care Medicine
Neurocritical Care Society
American Academy of Neurology
Neurocritical Care Fellowship
Massachusetts General Hospital/Brigham and Women's Hospital/ Harvard Medical School 2020—2022