Melanoma, skin cancers, merkel cell carcinoma, cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma, sarcoma, phase 1, clinical/translational research in melanoma and sarcoma
2021- Top Reviewer, Journal of Clinical Oncology Precision Oncology
2020- Scholar in Training Award, American Association for Cancer Research
2016- Oral Presentation Award, Oregon Chapter American College of Physicians, 2016
Justin T. Moyers is board certified medical oncologist at the University of California, Irvine Medical Center and an assistant clinical professor of medicine at UCI School of Medicine.
His clinical interests include skin cancers, including melanoma, merkel cell carcinoma, cutaneous squamous cell carcinoma as well as sarcomas. He has research interests in developmental therapeutics and phase 1 clinical trials along with the use of biomarkers and genomic data for patient selection. He currently serves as the ASCO Editorial Fellow for JCO Precision Oncology and has presented research at ASCO, SITC, ASCO-SITC, AACR, and ESMO in melanoma database research, immunotherapy predictive biomarker research, and phase 1 combinatorial trial design.
Dr. Moyers received a B.S. in Chemistry from the University of Kansas and subsequently completed medical school at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. He performed his residency in internal medicine residency at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center, in Portland, Oregon followed by a fellowship in Hematology and Oncology at Loma Linda University Medical Center in Loma Linda, CA. Finally he completed a fellowship in the Department of Investigational Cancer Therapeutics (A Phase 1 Program) at the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, TX.
1. Moyers JT, Glitza Oliva IC. Immunotherapy for Melanoma. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2021;1342:81-111. doi: 10.1007/978-3-030-79308-1_3. PMID: 34972963.
2. Gow-Lee VJ, Moyers JT, Rogstad DK. Fatal recurrent disseminated Lomentospora prolificans infection during autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplantation: A case report and review, and discussion on the importance of prolonged neutropenia. Transpl Infect Dis. 2021 Dec;23(6):e13701. doi: 10.1111/tid.13701. Epub 2021 Aug 16. PMID: 34328649.
3. Pant S, Moyers JT, Naing A. Letter to the editor from Pant et al. J Immunother Cancer. 2021 Nov;9(11):e003991. doi: 10.1136/jitc-2021-003991. PMID: 34725215; PMCID: PMC8562505.
4. Coleman N, Moyers JT, Harbery A, Vivanco I, Yap TA. Clinical Development of AKT Inhibitors and Associated Predictive Biomarkers to Guide Patient Treatment in Cancer Medicine. Pharmgenomics Pers Med. 2021 Nov 25;14:1517-1535. doi: 10.2147/PGPM.S305068. PMID: 34858045; PMCID: PMC8630372.
5. Yap TA, Parkes EE, Peng W, Moyers JT, Curran MA, Tawbi HA. Development of Immunotherapy Combination Strategies in Cancer. Cancer Discov. 2021 Jun;11(6):1368-1397. doi: 10.1158/2159-8290.CD-20-1209. Epub 2021 Apr 2. PMID: 33811048; PMCID: PMC8178168.
6. Tsai HHC, Moyers JT, Moore CJ, Thinn M. Activated Prothrombin Complex Concentrate-Induced Atypical Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome Treated with Eculizumab. Am J Case Rep. 2021 Mar 8;22:e929616. doi: 10.12659/AJCR.929616. PMID: 33678802.
7. Moyers JT, Chong EG, Peng J, Tsai HHC, Sufficool D, Shavlik D, Nagaraj G. Real world outcomes of combination and timing of immunotherapy with radiotherapy for melanoma with brain metastases. Cancer Med. 2021 Feb;10(4):1201-1211. doi: 10.1002/cam4.3716. Epub 2021 Jan 22. PMID: 33484100; PMCID: PMC7926022.
8. Lau E, Moyers JT, Wang BC, Jeong ISD, Lee J, Liu L, Kim M, Villicana R, Kim B, Mitchell J, Kamal MO, Chen CS, Liu Y, Wang J, Chinnock R, Cao H. Analysis of Post-Transplant Lymphoproliferative Disorder (PTLD) Outcomes with Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Assessments-A Single Tertiary Referral Center Experience and Review of Literature. Cancers (Basel). 2021 Feb 21;13(4):899. doi: 10.3390/cancers13040899. PMID: 33669937; PMCID: PMC7924879.
9. Moyers JT, Chong EG, Peng J, Tsai HHC, Sufficool D, Shavlik D, Nagaraj G. Real world outcomes of combination and timing of immunotherapy with radiotherapy for melanoma with brain metastases. Cancer Med. 2021 Feb;10(4):1201-1211. doi: 10.1002/cam4.3716. Epub 2021 Jan 22. PMID: 33484100.
10. Moyers JT, Patel A, Shih W, Nagaraj G. Association of Sociodemographic Factors With Immunotherapy Receipt for Metastatic Melanoma in the US. JAMA Netw Open. 2020 Sep 1;3(9):e2015656. doi: 10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2020.15656. PMID: 32876684.
11. Jeong ISD, Mo H, Nguyen A, Chong EG, Tsai HHC, Moyers J, Kim M, Lacy C, Shah V, Lau E, Xu Y, Cao H. Primary chemoradiation with cisplatin versus cetuximab for locally advanced head and neck cancer: a retrospective cohort study. Exp Hematol Oncol. 2020 Aug 5;9:19. doi: 10.1186/s40164-020-00175-1. PMID: 32775042.
12. Jeong ISD, Moyers J, Thung I, Thinn MM. Combination Chemohormonal Therapy in Metastatic Salivary Duct Carcinoma. Am J Case Rep. 2020 Jun 30;21:e925181. doi: 10.12659/AJCR.925181. PMID: 32601266.
13. Moyers JT, Liu LW, Ossowski S, Goddard L, Kamal MO, Cao H. A rash in a hairy situation: Leukocytoclastic vasculitis at presentation of hairy cell Leukemia. Am J Hematol. 2019 Dec;94(12):1433-1434. doi: 10.1002/ajh.25597. Epub 2019 Aug 23. PMID: 31364185.
14. Ahn J, Moyers J, Wong J, Hsueh CT. Thyroid dysfunction from inhibitor of fibroblast growth factor receptor. Exp Hematol Oncol. 2019 Feb 18;8:6. doi: 10.1186/s40164-019-0130-4. PMID: 30820365.
American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO)
Medical Oncology Association of Southern California (MOASC)
Loma Linda University 2017—2020
Fellowship in Investigational Cancer Therapeutics
University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center 2020—2021
Internal Medicine Residency
Providence St. Vincent Medical Center 2014—2017
Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center