Dr. Johnston has authored multiple manuscripts in major peer-reviewed orthopaedics and sports medicine journals. With a background in mechanical engineering, he maintains academic interests in biomechanics, medical device design, and clinical outcomes res
1. Johnston TR, Costouros JG, Behn A, Thio T. Cyclic Biomechanical Evaluation of Single-Tunnel Coracoclavicular Reconstruction: Is Augmentation Necessary? International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine Annual Meeting, Cancun, Mexico 2019
2. Johnston TR, Bennett CG, Behn A, Koltsov J, Alamin T. Cortical Trajectory vs Traditional Pedicle Screws: Biomechanical Analysis Under Cyclic Axial and Flexion Loads. The International Society of the Study of the Lumbar Spine Annual Meeting, Athens, Greece 2017
Before earning his medical degree at Stanford University, Dr. Johnston graduated with honors and completed a master’s in mechanical engineering also at Stanford. He subsequently completed his orthopaedic surgery residency at Stanford Hospital before pursuing a year of focused sports medicine and shoulder surgery fellowship at Duke University. During his time at Duke he proudly served as an assistant team physician for the Duke basketball, baseball, football, and wrestling teams, as well as the North Carolina Central University football team. Subsequently, Dr. Johnston completed two international orthopaedic surgery fellowships including an AO trauma fellowship in Madrid, Spain, and a shoulder surgery fellowship in Nice, France, under the mentorship of Professor Pascal Boileau.
Dr. Johnston currently provides care at the UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange, the Orthopaedic and Sports Medicine Center in Costa Mesa, UCI Health in Tustin, and the Long Beach Veterans Affairs Hospital.
1. Micicoi G, Chalmers PN, Godinho A, Paiva F, Olmos MI, Johnston TR, Boileau P. Tenotomy for treatment of clinically failed (over-tensioned) biceps tenodesis. In preparation.
2. Levigne C, Chelli M, Johnston T, Trojani MC, Mole D, Wakch G, Boileau P. Reverse shoulder arthroplasty in rheumatoid arthritis: survival and outcomes. Submitted J Shoulder Elbow Surg
3. Johnston TR, Behn A, Thio T, Costouros J. Cyclic biomechanical evaluation of single-tunnel coracoclavicular reconstruction: is augmentation necessary? In revision Orth J Sports Med
4. Swinford S, Johnston TR, Kolstov J, Behn A, Alamin T. Cortical trajectory pedicle screws vs traditional trajectory: comparison of unstable lumbar fatigue loading. Submitted North Am Spine Society J
5. Cavalier M, Andréani, O, Johnston TR, Boileau P. Is glenoid erosion a contraindication to Hill-Sachs remplissage? Submitted Bone & Joint J
6. Liles J, Fletcher A, Johnston T, Riboh J. Arthroscopic double row bony Bankart bridge repair of the posterior glenoid for chronic defect using a tensionable knotless system. Submitted Arthrosc Tech
7. Johnston TR, Liles J, Riboh J. Anchor-based femoral fixation for physeal sparing medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction- A time-zero biomechanical comparison to tenodesis screw fixation. Am J Sports Med 2020; 48(12):3021-3027
8. Johnston TR, Hu J, Gregory B, Liles J, Riboh J. Transphyseal anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction using hybrid transtibial femoral drilling and a quadriceps tendon autograft. Arthrosc Tech 2020;9(8):e1121-e1131
9. Liles J, Johnston T, Riboh J. Physeal-sparing medial patellofemoral ligament reconstruction with suture anchor for femoral fixation of graft. Arthrosc Tech 2020; 9(7):e889-e895
10. Lau BC, Johnston TR, Gregory BP, Pineda LB, Wu M, Fletcher A, Hu J, Ledbetter L, Riboh JC. Outcomes after revision anterior shoulder stabilization: a systematic review. Orth J Sports Med 2020; 8(5)
2013-Present AMERICAN ACADEMY OF ORTHOPAEDIC SURGEONS
2019-Present AMERICAN ORTHOPAEDIC SOCIETY FOR SPORTS MEDICIN
2019-Present INTERNATIONAL SOCIETY OF ARTHROSCOPY, KNEE SURG