Dr. Lee actively engages in research that involves clinical trials on the latest treatments for spinal disorders, nerve regeneration, and biomechanics of the spine.
2001 Charles H. Herndon Residency Research Award
Dr. Lee received his undergraduate degree in Physiologic Science from UCLA and his medical doctorate degree UCLA. He later went onto an Orthopedic Internship and Residency at UCLA Medical Center. He followed that by a combined Orthopedic/Neurosurgical spine surgery at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation. He was at UCSD for 10 years where he was in charge of the spine surgery fellowship, the clinical trials coordinator, and served on national committees. Dr. Lee currently serves as a Clinical Professor at the University of California, Irvine.
1. Lieberman JR, Daluiski A, Stevenson S, Wu L., McAllister P, Lee YP, Kabo JM, Finerman GA, Berk AJ, Witte ON. The effect of regional gene therapy with bone morphogenetic protein-2-producing bone-marrow cells on the repair of segmental femoral defects in rats. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1999 Jul;81(7):905-17.
2. Abe N, Lee Y, Sato M, Zhang Z, Wu J, Mitani K, Lieberman J. Enhancement of Bone Repair with a Helper-Dependent Adenoviral Transfer of Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002 Sep 27;297(3):523-7.
3. Berger F, Lee Y, Leoning A, Chatziioannou A, Tso C, Freedland S, Leahy R, Lieberman J, Beldegrun A, Sawyers C, Gambhir S. Whole body skeletal imaging in mice utilizing MicroPET and MicroCAT: new tools for small animal bone imaging. European Journal of Nuclear Medicine & Molecular Imaging. 2002 Sep;29(9):1225-36.
4. Lee Y, Wang J, Kanim L, Jo M, Davies M, Lieberman J. The direct comparison of different commercially available demineralized bone matrix substances in an athymic rat model. The Spine Journal Volume 2, Issue 2, Supplement 1 4 March 2002 Pages 25-26. (Abstract)
5. Lee Y, Kanim L, Wang J. Comparing human "local" bone versus human cancellous bone for spinal fusion in an athymic rat model. The Spine Journal Volume 2, Issue 2, Supplement 1 4 March 2002 Page 25. (Abstract)
6. Lee Y, Schwarz E, Davies M, Jo M, Zhang X, Gates J, Wu J, Lieberman J. The use of zoledronate to treat osteoblastic versus osteolytic lesions associated with prostate tumors in a SCID mouse model. Cancer Res. 2002 Oct 1;62(19):5564-70.
7. Lee Y, Schwarz E, Davies M, Jo M, Gates J, Wu J, Zhang X, Lieberman J. The cytokine profile associated with osteolytic versus osteoblastic prostate cancer metastases to bone. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 2003 Jan 8; 21: 62-72.
8. Davies MR, Lee YP, Lee C, Zhang X, Afar DE, Lieberman JR. Use of a SCID mouse model to select for a more aggressive strain of prostate cancer. Anticancer Res. 2003 May-Jun;23(3B):2245-52.
9. Severns AE, Lee YP, Nelson SD, Johnson EE, Kabo JM. Metabolic measurement techniques to assess bone fracture healing: a preliminary study. Clin Orthop. 2004 Jul;(424):231-8.
10. Dragoo JL, Lieberman JR, Lee RS, Deugarte DA, Lee Y, Zuk PA, Hedrick MH, Benhaim P. Tissue-engineered bone from BMP-2-transduced stem cells derived from human fat. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2005 May;115(6):1665-73.
11. Lee Y, Jo M, Luna M., Chien B., Lieberman J., Wang J. The efficacy of different commercially available demineralized bone matrix substances in forming a spinal fusion in an athymic rat model. J Spinal Disord Tech. 2005 Oct;18(5):439-44.
12. Gamradt SC, Abe N, Bahamonde ME, Lee YP, Nelson SD, Lyons KM, Lieberman JR Tracking Expression of Virally Mediated BMP-2 in Gene Therapy for Bone Repair. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2006 May 11
13. Wang ML, Massie J, Allen RT, Lee YP, Kim CW. Altered bioreactivity and limited osteoconductivity of calcium sulfate-based bone cements in the osteoporotic rat spine.
Spine J. 2008 Mar-Apr;8(2):340-50.
14. Allen RT, Lee YP, Stimson E, Garfin SR. Bone morphogenetic protein-2 (BMP-2) in the treatment of pyogenic vertebral osteomyelitis. Spine. 2007 Dec 15;32(26):2996-3006.
15. Kim CW, Lee YP, Taylor W, Oygar A, Kim WK. Use of navigation-assisted fluoroscopy to decrease radiation exposure during minimally invasive spine surgery.
Spine J. 2008 Jul-Aug;8(4):584-90.
16. Ghofrani H, Lee YP. Bone Graft Substitutes and Extenders. Contemporary Spine Surgery. April 2008.
17. Regev GJ, Chen L, Dhawan M, Lee YP, Garfin SR, Kim CW. Morphometric analysis of the ventral nerve roots and retroperitoneal vessels with respect to the
minimally invasive lateral approach in normal and deformed spines. Spine (Phila
Pa 1976). 2009 May 20;34(12):1330-5.
18. Regev GJ, Lee YP, Taylor WR, Garfin SR, Kim CW. Nerve injury to the posterior
rami medial branch during the insertion of pedicle screws: comparison of
mini-open versus percutaneous pedicle screw insertion techniques. Spine (Phila Pa
1976). 2009 May 15;34(11):1239-42.
19. Lee YP, Ghofrani H. Degenerative Scoliosis. Contemporary Spine Surgery May 2010.
20. Regev GJ, Haloman S, Chen L, Dhawan M, Lee YP, Garfin SR, Kim CW. Incidence and prevention of intervertebral cage overhang with minimally invasive lateral approach fusions. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Jun 15;35(14):1406-11.
21. Lee YP, Robertson C, Mahar A, Kuper M, Lee D, Regev G, Garfin S. Biomechanical evaluation of transfacet screw fixation for stabilization of multi-level cervical corpectomies. Journal of Spinal Disorders and Techniques. Accepted for publication.
22. Regev GJ, Kim CW, Tomiya A, Lee YP, Ghofrani H, Garfin SR, Lieber RL, Ward SR. Psoas Muscle Architectural Design, In Vivo Sarcomere Length Range, and Passive Tensile Properties Support its Role as a Lumbar Spine Stabilizer. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2011 Mar 14.
23. Lee YP, Ghofrani H, Regev GJ, Garfin SR. A retrospective review of long anterior fusions to the sacrum. Spine J. 2011 Apr;11(4):290-4.
24. Vinko Zlomislic , Y Lee, Alexandra Schwartz, Steven Garfin. Management of sacroiliac joint dysfunction. Contemporary Spine Surgery April 2011.
25. Webb J, Gottschalk L, Lee YP, Garfin S, Kim C. Surgeon Perceptions of Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery. SAS J. 2008 Sep 1;2(3):145.
26. Lee YP, Regev G, Chan J. Evaluation of hip flexion strength following lateral lumbar interbody fusion. Spine J. 2013 Oct;13(10):1259-62.
27. Anubhav Jagadish, Douglas Chang, Yu-Po Lee. Use of Bisphosphonates in Spine Surgery Contemporary Spine Surgery. Publication pending.
28. AnubhavJagadish, Sreeharsha V. Nandyala, AlejandroMarquez-Lara,
Kern Singh, and Yu-Po Lee. Spinal Interventions-The Role in the Athlete. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine
29. Yu-Po Lee, Joseph Sclafani. Lumbar iatrogenic spinal instability. Seminars in Spine Surgery. Volume 25, Issue 2, June 2013, Pages 131–137.
30. Chen F, Lee YP. Vertebral Augmentation. Contemporary Spine Surgery. 14(8):1-7, August 2013.
31. Nandyala, Sreeharsha V.; Marquez-Lara, Alejandro; Lee, Yu-Po. Strategies to Prevent Infection after Spine Surgery. Contemporary Spine Surgery. 15(6):1-5, June 2014.
32. Ghofrani H, Nunn T, Robertson C, Mahar A, Lee Y, Garfin S. An evaluation of fracture stabilization comparing kyphoplasty and titanium mesh repair techniques for vertebral compression fractures: is bone cement necessary? Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2010 Jul 15;35(16):E768-73.
33. Tatsumi R, Lee YP, Khajavi K, Taylor W, Chen F, Bae H. In vitro comparison of endplate preparation between four mini-open interbody fusion approaches. Eur Spine J. 2015 Apr;24 Suppl 3:372-7.
34. Lee YP, Ihn HE, McGarry MH, et al. Biomechanical Analysis of an S1 Pedicle Screw Salvage Technique via a Superior Articulating Process Entry Point. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2015 Dec 14.
35. Allison DW, Allen RT, Kohanchi DD, Skousen CB, Lee YP, Gertsch JH. Vasculopathy, Ischemia, and the Lateral Lumbar Interbody Fusion Surgery: Report of Three Cases. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2015 Dec;32(6):e41-5.
36. Lee, Yu-Po; Allen, R. Todd. Proximal Junctional Kyphosis. Contemporary Spine Surgery. June 2016 - Volume 17 - Issue 6. pp: 1-6.
37. Jagadish, Anubhav; Nandyala, Sreeharsha V.; Marquez-Lara, Alejandro; Chang, Douglas G.; Lee, Yu-Po. Use of Bisphosphonates in Spine Surgery. Contemporary Spine Surgery. 16(5):1-5, May 2015.
38. Yu-Po Lee, Jeffrey Gertsch, William Taylor, David Allison, John Attenello, Kara Nepomuceno, Miguel Nepomuceno and Nitin Bhatia. The Reliability of Neuromonitoring to Detect Neurologic Injury during Lateral Interbody Fusion. Spine Research. Vol. 1 No. 1:5. Pg. 1-5.
39. Yu-Po Lee, Alex Dohrmann, Douglas Kiester, Nitin Bhatia. ICD10 and its relevance to Spine Surgeons in Contemporary Spine Surgery.
40. Nitin Bhatia, Asheen Rama, Brandon Sievers, Ryan Quigley, Michelle H. McGarry, Yu-Po Lee, Thay Q Lee. Biomechanical Evaluation of Unilateral Versus Bilateral C1 Lateral Mass-C2 Intralaminar Fixation. Global Spine Journal. Accepted for publication.
41. Lee YP, Farhan SD, Kiester D, Rosen C, Pendi A, Bhatia N. Variables Affecting Return to Work After Spinal Surgery in a Non-workers' Compensation Population: A Retrospective Cohort Study. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2017 Dec;25(12):e282-e288.
42. Young Lu, Lee, YP, Nitin Bhatia, Thay Lee. Biomechanical Comparison of C1 Lateral Mass C2 Pars and C3 Lateral Mass Screw-Rod Construct vs C1 Lateral Mass C2 Pedicle Screw Fixation for Type II Odontoid Fractures. October 2017
The Spine Journal 17(10):S183
43. Jose Covarrubias, Irene Say, Nitin Bhatia, Lee YP. How to Reduce Radiation Exposure During Spine Surgery Journal of Contemporary Spine Surgery, July 2017.
44. Gande A, Rosinski A, Cunningham T, Bhatia N, Lee YP. Selection Pressures of Vancomycin Powder Use in Spine Surgery: A Meta-analysis. Spine J. 2019 Jan 17.
45. Lee YP, Farhan SD, Pendi A, Cunningham TJ, Kiester PD, Hahn P, Rosen CD, Bhatia N. Does Addition of Tobramycin Powder Reduce Infection Rates After Spine Surgery? Global Spine J. 2018 Dec;8(8):816-820.
46. Pendi A, Lee YP, Farhan SAB, Acosta FL, Bederman SS, Sahyouni R, Gerrick ER, Bhatia NN. Complications associated with intrathecal morphine in spine surgery: a retrospective study. J Spine Surg. 2018 Jun;4(2):287-294.
47. Pendi A, Wang JC, Bederman SS, Farhan SD, Bhatia NN, Lee YP, Ashraf J, Acosta FL. Preferences of Spine Surgeons With Regard to Management of Intraoperative Durotomy: A Survey of Current Management. Clin Spine Surg. 2018 Oct;31(8):E381-E385.
48. Lee, YP, Pendi A., Farhan SAB, Nitin Bhatia. Pseudoarthrosis. Journal of Contemporary Spine Surgery, October 2018.
49. Lee, YP, Kiester D, Rosen C, Farhan SAB, Nitin Bhatia. Charcot Spine Journal of Contemporary Spine Surgery, 21(2):1-5, February 2020.
50. Lin CC, Lu Y, Patel NA, Kiester PD, Rosen CD, Bhatia NN, Lee YP. Outcomes and Complications After Spinal Fusion in Patients With Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Global Spine J. 2019 May;9(3):287-291.
51. Musa A, Farhan SA, Lee YP, Uribe B, Kiester PD. Traumatic Atlantoaxial Lateral Subluxation With Chronic Type II Odontoid Fracture: A Case Report. Int J Spine Surg. 2019 Feb 22;13(1):79-83.
52. Lu Y, Lee YP, Bhatia NN, Lee TQ. Biomechanical Comparison of C1 Lateral Mass-C2 Short Pedicle Screw-C3 Lateral Mass Screw-Rod Construct Versus Goel-Harms Fixation for Atlantoaxial Instability. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2019 Apr 1;44(7):E393-E399.
53. Gande A, Rosinski A, Cunningham T, Bhatia N, Lee YP.
Selection pressures of vancomycin powder use in spine surgery: a meta-analysis.
Spine J. 2019 Jun;19(6):1076-1084. doi: 10.1016/j.spinee.2019.01.002. Epub 2019 Jan 17.
54. Impact of Sickle Cell Anemia on Inpatient Morbidity After Spinal Fusion.
Lu Y, Lin CC, Doermann A, Patel N, Bhatia NN, Kiester PD, Rosen CD, Lee YP.
Clin Spine Surg. 2019 Mar 19
55. Lin CC, Lu Y, Patel NA, Kiester PD, Rosen CD, Bhatia NN, Lee YP. Outcomes and Complications After Spinal Fusion in Patients With Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Global Spine J. 2019 May;9(3):287-291.
56. Le, Ryan; Anderson, Amanda; Chalmers, Christen E.; Scolaro, John A.; Lee, Yu-Po; Bhatia, Nitin. Major Orthopaedic Conference Abstract Publication: An Analysis of Abstracts Accepted for the AAOS Annual Meetings Between 2014 and 2017 Journal of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons. Accepted for publication
57. Lee, Yu-Po; Yeung, Christopher A.; Oh, Michael; Bhatia, Nitin. Endoscopic Spine Surgery. Contemporary Spine Surgery. 21(11):1-5, November 2020.
Member of the North American Spine Society
Member of the American Association of Orthopaedic Surgeons
Member of the Western Orthopaedic Association 2007 – Pr
Member of the Society for Minimally Invasive Spine Surgery
Member of the International Society for the Advancement of S