Eye movement disorders, advanced neuroimaging of visual pathways (MRI, fMRI), thyroid eye disease, idiopathic intracranial hypertension, demyelinating disorders
June 2019, Teacher of the Year Award, USC Roski Eye Institute
Mar 2018, Dean’s Faculty Teaching Award, USC Keck School of Medicine
June 2017, Teacher of the Year Award, USC Roski Eye Institute
June 2016, Faculty Teaching Award, LAC + USC Medical Center
2016, Achievement Award, American Academy of Ophthalmology
2016-18, Top Doctors, Pasadena Magazine
July 2015, Peer selected as a “Southern California Rising Star,” Super Doctors
June 2015, Teacher of the Year Award, USC Roski Eye Institute
June 2009, Teacher of the Year Award, Univ. of Ottawa Eye Institute
June 2008, Teacher of the Year Award, Univ. of Wisconsin, Dept. of Ophthalmology & Visual Sciences
June 2007, Teacher of the Year Award, USC Doheny Eye Institute
Board certified in the U.S and Canada, Vivek R. Patel, M.D., is Professor of Clinical Ophthalmology and serves as Chief of Neuro-Ophthalmology at the UCI Gavin Herbert Eye Institute. His clinical practice is dedicated to the medical and surgical management of adult strabismus, and the full spectrum of neuro-ophthalmologic disorders. Dr. Patel is an accomplished educator, having served as a Residency and Fellowship Program Director, and has been recognized as Teacher of the Year, 8 times in his career thus far. He is active on national and international levels within the neuro-ophthalmic community and currently serves as an Associate Editor for the Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology and Neuro-Ophthalmology Section Editor for the American Academy Ophthalmology’s ONE Network, a platform devoted to disseminating current ophthalmologic knowledge internationally. Dr. Patel has extensive experience studying structural and functional changes in the visual pathways following retinal and optic nerve injury, using diffusion tensor tractography and functional MRI techniques, and was funded by the NIH over the past 5 years to delve deeper into this emerging area of neuroscience.
Dr. Patel has been honored as a Visiting Professor 23 times, invited to lecture by departments across the country and internationally in addition to over 70 invited lectureships regionally, nationally and internationally He is the co-author of the 3rd and 4th editions of what is widely considered one of the central textbooks of neuro-ophthalmology (Walsh & Hoyt’s Clinical Neuro-Ophthalmology: The Essentials). At UCI he is eager to work closely with our faculty and use his experience in education to fully support our collective mission to uphold the highest standards of education and mentorship in academic ophthalmology.
1. Patel V, Bowen RC. Pathological laughter and obsessive-compulsive disorder in patients with affective illnesses. Can J Psychiatry. 2000 Jun;45(5):489.
2. Midha R, Noble J, Patel V, Ho P, Munro CA, Szalai JP. Prospective analysis of relationships of outcome measures for ulnar neuropathy at the elbow. Can. J. Neurol. Sci. 2001; 28: 239-244.
3. Shelhamer M, Peng GY, Ramat S, Patel V. Context-specific adaptation of the gain of the oculomotor response to lateral translation using roll and pitch head tilts as contexts. Exp Brain Res (2002) 146: 388-393.
4. Sadun AA, Patel V. Neuro-Ophthalmology. Neurosurg. Focus 2007;23(5):1.
5. Quigley MG, Patel V, Harasymowycz P. Determination of true optic disc area using fundus camera technique: correlation with HRT measurements. J Glaucoma Volume 17, Number 6, September 2008.
6. Johnson DL, Patel V. Atypical Central Serous Chorioretinopathy With Peripapillary Subretinal Fluid Suggesting an Optic Neuropathy . J Neuro-ophthalmol December 2011- volume 31- issue 4, p 397.
7. Bussiere M, Falero R, Nicolle D, Proulx A, Patel V, Pelz D. Unilateral transverse sinus stenting in patients with idiopathic intracranial hypertension. Am J Neuroradiol 2010 Apr;31(4):645-50.
8. Al-Abri M, Britton WA, Manusow JS, Brownstein S, Patel V, Hurley B, Agapitos P. Restoration of Vision following surgical removal of an intraocular needlefish jaw. Retinal Cases and Brief Reports. Published ahead of print. 2011.
9. Jabedar Maralani P, Hassanlou M, Chakraborty S, Kingstone M, Torres C, Patel VR, Zackon D Bussiere M. Accuracy of Brain Imaging in Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. Clin Radiol. 2012 Jul;67(7):656-63.
10. Tang V, Fantaneanu T, Chakraborty S, Patel V, Dowlatshahi D. Intracranial non-occlusive thrombus and multi-territory infarcts in giant cell arteritis. Canadian Journal of Neurological Sciences. 39;1. 2012.
11. Patel VR. Transient Monocular Visual Loss. Focal Points. Volume XXXI Number 7, July 2013 American Academy of Ophthalmology.
12. Channa R, Welsbie DS, Patel VR. More than just disc swelling. JAMA Ophthalmology.2013 Nov 1;131(11):1477-8.
13. Durling, B. Toren A., Jordan D, Gilberg S., Patel V. Incidence of Discordant Temporal Artery Biopsies in the Diagnosis of Giant Cell Arteritis. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology 2014 Apr; 9(2): 157-611.
14. Beh S, Muthusamy B, Calabresi P, Hart J, Zee D, Patel V, Frohman E Hiding in Plain Sight: A closer look at posterior cortical atrophy Pract Neurol. Feb; 2015(1):5-13.
15. Patel VR. Zee DS. The cerebellum in eye movement control: nystagmus, coordinate frames and disconjugacy. Eye (2015) pp 1-5.
16. Jivraj I, Patel V. Treatment of Ocular Motor Palsies. Curr Treat Options Neurol. 2015 Mar;17(3):338.
17. Kontzialis M, Choudhri AF, Patel V, Subramanian P, Ishii M, Gallia G, Aygun N, Blitz AM High Resolution 3D Magnetic Resonance Imaging of the Adult Abducens Nerve: Anatomic and Pathologic Considerations by Segment. J Neuroophthalmol. 2015 Dec;35(4):412-25.
18. Storey PP, Lee-Kim, E, Patel V. Ptosis, Miosis, and Intermittent Esotropia Following Pituitary Adenoma Resection. JAMA Ophthalmol. Published online June 23, 2016.doi:10.1001/jamaophthalmol.2016.0787.
19. Albreiki D, Al Belushi F, Patel V, Farmer J. When a temporal artery biopsy reveals a diagnosis other than temporal arteritis; Eosinophilic Granulomatosis with Polyangiitis (EGPA). Can J Ophthalmol. 2016 Jun; 51(3):e108-9.
20. Moysidis SN, Koulisis N, Patel VR, Kashani, AH, Rao NA, Humayun MS, Rodger DA
The Second Blind Spot: Small Retinal Vessel Vasculopathy Following Vaccination Against Neisseria Meningitides and Yellow Fever. Retin Cases Brief Rep. 2017 Winter;11 Suppl 1:S18-S23.
21. Toren A, Weis E, Patel V, Monteith B, Gilberg S, Jordan D. Clinical predictors of positive temporal artery biopsy. Can J Ophthalmol. 2016 Dec;51(6):476-481.
22. Szymanski L, See KY, Gokoffski K, Barger M, Hu J, Blodget E, Wagle N, Patel V, Gill K, Lerner A, Liu CS, Rajamohan A, Zada G, Shiroishi M, Hurth K. Treatment of multifocal central nervous system AIDS-related Epstein Barr virus-associated malignant myopericytoma and bevacizumab. Radiology of Infectious Diseases (2017).
23. Jiun Lap Do, Beau Sylvester, Anoush Shahidzadeh , Ruikang K. Wang, Zhongdi Chu, Vivek Patel, Grace Marie Richter. Utility of optical coherence tomography angiography in detecting glaucomatous damage in a uveitic patient with disc congestion: A case report. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2017 Oct 5;8:78-83.
24. Edsel B Ing, Gabriela Lahaie Luna, Andrew Toren, Royce Ing, John J Chen, Nitika Arora, Nurhan Torun, Otana Jakpor, J Alexander Fraser, Felix J Tyndel, Arun NE Sundaram, Xinyang Liu, Cindy TY Lam, Vivek Patel, Ezekiel Weis, David Jordan,Steven Gilberg, Christian Pagnoux, Martin ten Hove. Multivariate prediction model for suspected giant cell arteritis: development and validation. Clin Ophthalmol. 2017 Nov 22;11:2031-2042.
25. Weis E, Toren A, Jordan D, Patel V, Gilberg S. Development of a Predictive Model for Temporal Artery Biopsies. Can J Ophthalmol. 2017 Dec;52(6):599-605.
26. Rayess NM, Patel VR. Bilateral severe decreased vision with normal examination. JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018 Oct 1;136(10):1201-1202.
27. Miranda-Acuña J, Rivas-Rodríguez E, Levy, M, M. Ansari, Stone R, Patel V, Amezcua L. Rituximab during pregnancy in neuromyelitis optica: a case report. Neurol Neuroimmunol Neuroinflamm. 2019 Feb 1;6(2):e542.
28. Teja S, Patel VR. Ischemic Optic Neuropathies: Diagnosis and Management. Int. Ophthalmol Clin. 2019 Summer; 59(3):39-57.
29. Francis C, Patel VR. Should a hyper-coagulable workup be ordered for all young NAION patients? J Neuro-ophthalmol. 2019 Dec;39(4):523-528.
30. Cao JL, Browne AW, Clifford T, Sharma S, Patel VR. Intravitreal silicone oil migration into the lateral cerebral ventricles. Journal of VitreoRetinal Diseases, vol. 3, 6: pp. 466-473. September 25, 2019.
31. Jung EE, Greer C, Patel VR. Vision Loss, Gaze Palsy, and Nystagmus in a Patient with Leukemia. J Clin Neurosci. 2020;S0967-5868(20)30509-9.
32. Patel VR. Should a hyper-coagulable workup be ordered for all young NAION Patients?- Response. Online ahead of print. 2020 Apr 28. J Neuroophthalmol.
33. Solomon A, Patel VR, Francis CE. Factors affecting ophthalmology resident choice to pursue neuro-ophthalmology fellowship training. Accepted, In press. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology (June 2020).
34. Lee D, DeBoer C, Liu, A, Masson R, Nguyen A, Patel VR, Zhang-Nunes S. Slit Lamp Safety in the COVID-19 era: How much protection is your shield providing? Under review, submitted to Clinical Ophthalmology, April 2020.
35. Khurana RN, Patel VR. Paracentral and Cecocentral Scotomas after Pars Plana Vitrectomy for Rhegmatogenous Retinal Detachment. [published online ahead of print, 2020 Jul 1]. Am J Ophthalmol. 2020; S0002-9394(20)30322-6. doi:10.1016/j.ajo.2020.06.026.
36. Gokoffski KK, Patel VR. Reversible Toxic Optic Neuropathy from Tacrolimus (FK506). Under review, submitted to American Journal of Ophthalmology Case Reports, May 2020.
37. Do JL, Patel VR. Branch Retinal Vein Occlusion associated with Fingolimod treatment for MS. Can J Ophthalmol, (July 2020).
38. Patel VR, Subramanian PS, Fortin E, Carey AR. New Initiatives at JNO: Highlighting Technology, Social Media, and Content for Trainees. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmlology, June 2020.
39. Zhou S, Jones-Lopez EC, Soneji DJ, Azevedo CJ, Patel VR. Myelin Oligodendrocyte Glycoprotein antibody-associated optic neuritis and myelitis in COVID-19. J Neuroophthalmol. 2020 Jun 26. doi: 10.1097/WNO.0000000000001049.
40. Gokoffski KK, Lifton J, Xu BY, Patel VR. Surgical Outcomes of Transposition Surgery for the Correction of Large Angle Strabismus. Submitted for review, American Journal of Ophthalmology (July 2020).
1. Patel VR. Editor’s Choice AAO ONE Network. Review of the Neuroinvasive Potential of SARS-CoV2. Published online April 20, 2020.
2. Patel VR, Teja S. Review of Neuro-Ophthalmology Illustrated by Valerie Biousse and Nancy J Newman World Neurosurgery, 102: I-VIII. Page 413; June 2017.
3. Patel VR. Modern Neuro-Ophthalmology Volume 1: Anatomy & Physiology of the Human Visual System June edition. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology, 2017.
4. Wong B, Patel VR, Randleman JB. Review of “Long-term effects of cataract surgery with topical Levofloxacin on ocular bacterial flora.” Journal Club Review, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. September 2017.
5. Patel VR. A Current Review of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension. ASOPRS-AAO Oculofacial Plastic Surgery online knowledge database. October 2015.
6. Zhu D, Cuzzo L, Patel VR. Myopic Eyes and Cataract Surgery: We’ve Come a Long Way. Journal Club Review, American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. March 2015.
U01EY025864. Patel (PI). “Human Connectomes for Low Vision, Blindness, and Sight Restoration” (NIH/NEI). 7/1/2015 – 8/30/2020.
American Academy of Ophthalmology
North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society (NANOS)
Canadian Ophthalmological Society
Association of University Professors of Ophthalmology
AAO ONE network
American Board of Ophthalmology: Examiner & Question Writer
Royal College of Physicians & Surgeons: Neurology Examiner
Residency in Ophthalmology
McGill University —2006
Fellowship in Neuro-Ophthalmology
University of Southern California/Doheny Eye Institute —2007
Research trainee, Department of Neurology
Johns Hopkins Hospital —1997
Chief Resident, Department of Ophthalmology
McGill University —2006