Simulation, Medical Education
Dr. Strom is board certified in both Anesthesiology and Pediatric Anesthesiology. Her primary academic interest is in Curriculum Development in Medical Education, with a focus on Anesthesiology clinical education and multidisciplinary Simulation Education for Crisis Management Skills and Communication. Her involvement in Graduate Medical Education includes many leadership roles in Anesthesiology Residency Education as well as institution-wide Patient Safety leadership. She has also been involved in simulation training at UC Irvine for ten years. She is a contributor to simulation curricula and has instructed medical student though CME simulations in the UC Irvine Health Medical Education Simulation Center, as well as Continuing Medical Education (CME) workshops at national conferences.
1. Martin SR, Chorney JM, Tan ET, Fortier MA, Blount RL, Wald SH, Shapiro NL, Strom SL, Patel S, Kain ZN. “Changing Healthcare Providers’ Behavior during Pediatric Inductions with an Empirically Based Intervention” Anesthesiology. 2011 Jul;115(1):18-27.
2. Strom S, Kain ZN. Commentary on ‘Non-pharmacological interventions for assisting the induction of anaesthesia in children’. Evidence-Based Child Health: A Cochrane Review Journal 2011;6:137-40.
3. Strom, S. Preoperative evaluation, premedication, and induction of anesthesia in infants and children. Curr Opin Anesthesiol 2012, 25:321–325.
4. Fortier MA, Tan E, Mayes LC, Wahi A, Rosenbaum A, Strom S, Stantistevan S, Kain Z. Ethnicity and parental report of postoperative behavioral changes in children. Pediatric Anesthesiology 23 (2013) 422–428. PMID:23061878
5. Shbeeb A., M.D., Nelson C., M.D., Strom, S., M.D., Mecca R., M.D. Postanesthesia Care Unit Simulations: Acute Upper Airway Obstruction Secondary to Laryngospasm. Society for Simulation in Healthcare. 2013 Apr;8(2):124-30.
6. Fortier MA1, Batista ML, Wahi A, Kain A, Strom S, Sender LS. Illness uncertainty and quality of life in children with cancer. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2013 Jul;35(5):366-70. PMID: 23669725
7. Langdorf MI, Strom SL, Yang L, Canales C, Anderson CL, Amin A, Lotfipour S. High-fidelity simulation enhances ACLS training. Teach Learn Med. 2014;26(3):266-73. PMID: 25010238
8. Dhillon, A, Strom, S. Transitioning from 1:1 to 1: 2 Supervision in Anesthesia Training: A Descriptive Survey. Journal of Perioperative Medicine. Volume XVI - Issue III. January-June 2014.
9. Ramsingh D, Rinehart J, Kain Z, Strom S, Canales C, Alexander B, Capatina A, Ma M, Le KV, Cannesson M. Impact Assessment of Perioperative Point-of-Care Ultrasound Training on Anesthesiology Residents. Anesthesiology. 2015 2015 Sep;123(3):670-82.
10. Suzanne L. Strom, MD; Craig L. Anderson, PhD, MPH; Luanna Yang, PharmD, MD; Cecilia Canales, MPH; Alpesh Amin, MD, MBA; Shahram Lotfipour, MD, MPH; C. Eric McCoy, MD, MPH; Mark I. Langdorf, MD, MHPE. Correlation of Simulation Examination to Written Test Scores for Advanced Cardiac Life Support Testing: Prospective Cohort Study. Western J Emerg Med. 2015;16(6):907-912. Pubmed ID: 26594288.
11. Megan Boysen-Osborn, Craig L. Anderson, Roman Navarro, Justin Yanuck, Suzanne Strom, Christopher E. McCoy, Julie Youm, Mary Frances Ypma-Wong, Mark I. Langdorf. Flipping the advanced cardiac life support classroom with team-based learning: comparison of cognitive testing performance for medical students at the University of California, Irvine, United States. J Educ Eval Health Prof; Volume 13; 201613: PMID: 26893399.
12. Canales, C, Strom, S, Anderson, C, Fortier, M, Cannesson, M, Rinehart, J, Kain, Z, Perret, D. Humanistic Medicine in the Technological Age: Development and Assessment of Humanism Curriculum for Anaesthesiology Residents. Accepted for publication by the British Journal of Anaesthesia on August 12, 2019.
1. Strom SL. Hyperkalemia. In: Roizen MF, Fleisher LA (eds.) Essence of Anesthesia Practice, 3rd edition. Philadelphia: Elsevier Saunders, 2011.
2. Warren Wiechmann, Cecilia Canales, Suzanne Strom, Sharon Lin, Chris Fox. Technology in Clerkship Education. Guidebook for Clerkship Directors, 4th edition, Alliance for Clinical Education; Gegensatz Press, NY 2012.
3. Strom SL. Potassium. In: Singh N (ed) The 5 Minute Anesthesia Consult, Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer – LWW, 2013
4. Strom SL. Intraoperative Hypoxia. In: Singh N (ed) The 5 Minute Anesthesia Consult, Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer – LWW, 2013.
5. Strom SL. Postoperative Hypoxia. In: Singh N (ed) The 5 Minute Anesthesia Consult, Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer – LWW, 2013.
6. Strom SL. Intestinal Obstruction. In: Singh N (ed) The 5 Minute Anesthesia Consult, Philadelphia: Wolters Kluwer – LWW, 2013.
Pediatric Anesthesiology (AN)