Peritoneal Carcinomatosis, Gastric cancer, Liquid Biopsy
University First Rank – Pharmacology, MGR University of Medicine, Tamilnadu, India 1995
Graduated Top 1% of the class, Madurai Medical College, Madurai, India 1998
Academic Excellence Award, UMDNJ – Department of Surgery 2003
Outstanding Manuscript Award, Basic Science Category, American College of Surgeons, NJ Chapter 2004
Academic Excellence Award, UMDNJ – Department of Surgery 2004
Joseph Susman Memorial Award for Best Paper, Surgical Infection Society of North America & Europe. 2005
Academic Excellence Award, UMDNJ – Department of Surgery 2005
Outstanding Trauma Resident Award, UMDNJ – 2006
Academic Excellence Award, UMDNJ – Department of Surgery 2006
Outstanding Resident Award, Hackensack University Medical Center, NJ 2008
Academic Excellence Award, UMDNJ – Department of Surgery 2008
Professor of Surgery, University of California –Irvine - May 2020 to present
Associate Professor, Loma Linda School of Medicine - Sep 2013 to Dec 2019
Assistant Professor, Loma Linda School of Medicine - Sep 2010 to Aug 2013
Peritoneal carcinomatosis is an extremely challenging clinical problem and is associated with dismal prognosis. One of the current challenges with peritoneal carcinomatosis is lack of sensitive markers for early diagnosis and prognostication. Dr. Senthil's basic science research work is focused on developing a liquid biopsy by utilizing blood- based Exosomal bio-markers in patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis to serve as a predictive and prognostic tool. The advantage of liquid biopsy is that it's a non-invasive tool that has the potential to replace tumor biopsies and invasive diagnostic testing to detect cancer.
On the clinical side, she conducts investigator-initiated clinical trials to change the treatment paradigm of peritoneal carcinomatosis. A phase-II clinical trial to test the efficacy of intraperitoneal chemotherapy in gastric peritoneal carcinomatosis is currently under review to be opened at UCI.
Alpha Omega Alpha - New Jersey Medical School 2008
Golden Apple Award for Excellence in Teaching, UMDNJ 2008
Arnold P. Gold Award for leadership and Humanism, NJ 2008
Excellence in Medical Student Teaching, UMDNJ 2008
Healing Hands Award 2017
Healing Hands Award 2018
Excellence in Education – Loma Linda University Health 2019
Dr. Senthil is a surgical oncologist with a special expertise in the management of patients with peritoneal carcinomatosis and advanced malignancies. She has successfully performed several hundreds of Cytoreductive surgery and HIPEC to treat this condition. Her treatment principle is to provide the best care possible through innovation, research, collaboration, and technical excellence.
Her objective is to help patients achieve healthy survivorship by healing their mind, body, and spirit.
Dr. Senthil is also a highly-respected educator. She considers it a privilege to train future generation of surgeons. She founded the complex general surgical oncology fellowship at Loma Linda University Health in 2015. She has received numerous awards for her commitment and dedication to educational excellence.Dr. Senthil has conducted many important research projects that address critical clinical questions and disparities. Several of her research papers are published in JAMA Surgery and Annals of Surgical Oncology.
1. VL Kaiser, Z Sifri, M Senthil, G S Dikdan, Q Lu, DZ Xu, EA. Deitch. Albumin peptide: a molecular marker for trauma / hemorrhagic-shock in rat mesenteric lymph. Peptides 2005; 26(12): 2491-2499
2. M Senthil, M.D., M Brown M.S.N., DZ Xu, M.D.,PhD., Q Lu, M.D., E Feketeova M.D., EA. Deitch, M.D. Gut- Lymph Hypothesis of SIRS/MODS: Validating studies in a Porcine Model. J Trauma 2006; 60(5): 958-65.
3. M Senthil, M.D., A Watkins, M.D., D Barlos, M.D., DZ Xu M.D., PhD, Q Lu M.D., B Abungu B.Sc., R Feinman PhD, EA. Deitch, M.D. Intravenous injection of Trauma- hemorrhagic shock mesenteric lymph causes lung injury that is dependent upon activation of the inducible nitric oxide synthase pathway. Ann Surg 2007; 246(5):822-30.
4. FJ Caputo, B Rupani, AC Watkins, DBarlos, D Vega, M Senthil, EA. Deitch. Trauma hemorrhage-induced gut barrier failure and the production of biologically active intestinal lymph require pancreatic proteases. Shock 2007; 28(4): 441-6
5. EA Deitch, M Senthil, M Brown, F Caputo, A Watkins, D Anjaria, C Badami, V Pisarenko, D Doucet, Q Lu, E Feketeova, DZ Xu. Trauma- Shock-induced gut injury and the production of biologically active intestinal lymph are abrogated by castration in a large animal model. Shock 2008; 30(2): 135-41.
6. C Badami, M Senthil, FJ Caputo, BJ Rupani, Doucet D, Pisarenko V, Xu DZ, EA Deitch. Mesenteric Lymph duct ligation improves survival in lethal shock model.Shock 2008; 30(6):680-5.
7. J Kim, B Mailey, M Senthil , A Artinyan , CL Sun, S Bhatia. Disparities in gastric cancer outcomes among Asian ethnicities in the USA. Ann Surg Oncol 2009; 16(9): 2433-41.
8. M Senthil, LE Harrison. Bicavitary hyperthermic chemotherapy in the management of pseudomyxoma peritoneii with pleural extension. Arch Surg 2009;144(10)970-972
9. M Senthil, B Mailey, L Leong, V Chung, Y Yen, YJ Chen, H Marx, J Kim. Liver-directed therapies in the multidisciplinary management of Hepatocellular cancer. Curr Cancer Ther Rev 2010;6:19-25
10. J Gao, M Senthil, B Ren, J Yan, Q Xing, J Yu, L Zhang, JH Yim. IRF-1 transcriptionally up regulates PUMA, which mediates the mitochondrial apoptotic pathway in IRF-1 induced apoptosis in cancer cells. Cell Death Differ 2010;17(4):699-709
11. R Buettner, R Corzano, R Rashid, J Lin, M Senthil, M Hedvat, A Schroeder, A Mao, A Herrmann, J Yim, H Lin, YC Yuan, YC Yuan, K Yakushijin, F Yakushijin, N Vaidehi R Moore, G Gugiu, TD Lee, R Yip, Y Chen, R Jove, DA Horne, JC Williams. Alkylation of cysteine 468 in Stat3 defines a novel site for therapeutic development. ACS Chem Biol 2011; 6: 432-43
12. AC Watkins, B Abungu, M Senthil, Q Lu, D Barlos, L Prescott, FJ Caputo, BK McCracken, DZ Zu, M Bosch-Marce, GL Semenza, EA Deitch, R Feinmann. Partial HIF-1 Deficiency Attenuates Ischemia Reperfusion-Mediated Gut and Lung Injury. Submitted to PNAS
13. M Senthil, V Trisal, IB Paz, LL Lai. Prediction of the adequacy of lymph node retrieval in colon cancer by hospital type. Arch Surg 2010; 145 :840-3.
14. A Holt, DW Wagman, M Senthil, S Mckenzie, H Marx, YJ Chen, N Vora, M.D., J Kim. Transarterial Radioembolization with Yttrium-90 for Regional Management of Hepatocellular Cancer: The Early Results of a Non-Transplant Center. Am Surg 2010; 76(10); 1079-83
15. M Condon, M Senthil , DZ Xu, L Mason, SU Sheth , Z Spolarics, E Feketova, GW Machiedo, EA Deitch. Intravenous injection of mesenteric lymph produced during hemorrhagic shock decreases RBC deformability in the rat. J Trauma 2011;70:489-95
16. J Gao, Y Wang, Q Xing, J Yan, M Senthil, Y Akmal, CM Kowolik, J Kang, DM Lu, M Zhao, Z Lin, CH Cheng, RM Yip, JH Yim. Identification of natural compound by cell-based screening that enhances interferon regulatory factor-1 activity and causes tumor suppression. Mol cancer Ther 2011; 10:1774-83.
17. LJ Wrighton, KR O’ Bosky, JP Namm, M Senthil. Postoperative management after hepatic resection. J Gastrointest Oncol 2012; 3:41-47.
18. ML Wanis, JA Wong, S Rodriguez, JM Wong, B Jabo, A Ashok, SJ Lum, N L Solomon, ME Reeves, CA Garberoglio, M Senthil. Rate of Re-Excision after Breast-Conserving Surgery for Invasive Lobular Carcinoma. Am Surg. 2013 Oct;79(10):1119-22.
19. Senthil M. Assessment of clinical benefit and quality of life in patients undergoing cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for management of peritoneal carcinomatosis. J Gastrointest Oncol 2013;4(1):3-4.
20. Kim A, Scharf K, Senthil M, Solomon N, Garberoglio C, Lum SS The Prevalence of overweight and obesity in a breast clinic population: consideration for weight loss as a therapeutic intervention. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2014; 10(2):348-53.
21. Ling TC, Slater JM, Senthil M, Kazanjian K, Howard F, Garberoglio CA, Slater JD, Yang GY. Surgical and radiation therapy management of recurrent anal melanoma. J Gastrointest Oncol 2014; 5(1): E7-12.
22. Tang H, Mirshahidi S, Senthil M, Kazanjian K, Chen CS, Zhang K. Down-regulation of LXR/RXR activation and negative acute phase response pathways in colon adenocarcinoma revealed by proteomics and bioinformatics analysis. Cancer Biomark 2014;4(5):313-24.
23. Prada-Villaverde A, Esquivel J, Lowy AM, Markman M, Chua T, Pelz J, Baratti D, Baumgartner JM, Berri R, Bretcha-Boix P, Deraco M, Flores-Ayala G, Glehen O, Gomez-Portilla A, Gonzalez-Moreno S, Goodman M, Halkia E, Kusamura S, Moller M, Passot G, Pocard M, Slati G, Sardi A, Senthil M, Spiliotis J, Torres-Melero J, Turaga K, Trout R. The American Society of Peritoneal Surface Malignancies evaluation of HIPEC with mitomycin C versus oxaliplatin in 539 patients with colon cancer undergoing a complete cytoreductive surgery. J Surg Oncol 2014;110(7):779-85.
24. Esquivel J, Lowy AM, Markman M, Chua T, Pelz J, Baratti D, Baumgartner JM, Berri R, Bretcha-Boix P, Deraco M, Flores-Ayala G, Glehen O, Gomez-Portilla A, Gonzalez-Moreno S, Goodman M, Halkia E, Kusamura S, Moller M, Passot G, Pocard M, Slati G, Sardi A, Senthil M, Spiliotis J, Torres-Melero J, Turaga K, Trout R. The American Society of Peritoneal Surface Malignancies multi-institution evaluation of the peritoneal surface disease severity score in 1013 patients with colorectal cancer with peritoneal carcinomatosis. Ann Surg Oncol 2014;21(13):4195-201.
25. Senthil M, Chaudhary P, Smith DD, Ventura PE, Frankel PH, Pullarkat V, Trisal V. A shortened activated partial thromoboplastin time predicts the risk of catheter associated venous thrombosis in cancer patients. Thromb Res 2014;134(1):165-8.
26. Choi AH, Surrusco M, Rodriguez S, Bahjri K, Solomon N, Garberoglio C, Lum S, Senthil M. Extranodal extension on sentinel lymph node dissection; why should we treat it differently? Am Surg 2014:80(10): 932-5.
27. Morgan JW, Ji L, Friedman G, Senthil M, Dyke C, Lum SS. Role of the cancer center when using lymph node count as a quality measure for gastric cancer surgery. JAMA Surg 2015;50(1):37-43.
28. Mclean LS, Watkins CN, Campbell P, Zylsatra D, Rowland L, Amis LH, Scott L, Babb CE, Livingston WJ, Darwanto A, Davis WL Jr, Senthil M, Sowers LC, Brantley E. Aryl hydrocarbon receptor ligand 5F203 induces oxidative stress that triggers DNA damage in human Breast cancer cells. Chem Res Toxicol 2015; 28(5):855-71.
29. Choi AH, Blount S, Perez MN, Chavez de Paz CE, Rodriguez SA, Surrusco M, Garberoglio CA, Lum SS, Senthil M. Size of extranodal extension on sentinel lymph node dissection in the American College of Surgeons Oncology Group Z011 trail era. JAMA Surg 2015; 150(12):1141-8.
30. Howarth DR, Lum SS, Esquivel P, Garberoglio CA, Senthil M, Solomon NL. Initial results of multigene panel testing for herditary breast and ovarian cancer and lynch syndrome. Am Surg 2015;81(10):914-4.
31. Kam K, Lee E, Pairawan S, Anderson K, Cora C, Bae W, Senthil M, Solomon NL, Lum SS. The effect of breast implants on mammogram outcomes. Am Surg 2015;81(10):1053-6.
32. Nottegar A, Veronese N, Senthil M, Roumen RM, Stubbs B, Choi AH, Verheuvel NC, Solmi M, Pea A, Capelli P, Fassan M, Sergi G, Manzato E, Maruzzo M, Bagant F, Koc M, Eryilmaz MA, Bria E, Carbognin L, Bonetti F, Barbareschi M, Luchini C. Extra-nodal extension of sentinel lymph node metastasis is a marker of poor prognosis in breast cancer patients:A systematic review and an exploratory meta-analysis. Eur J Surg Oncol 2016;42(7):919-25.
33. Selleck M, Senthil M. Implications of preoperative axillary imaging in the post Z011 era. Gland Surg 2016; 5(3):372-4.
34. Pairawan SS, Cora C, Olaya W, Deisch J, Garberoglio R, Solomon N, Senthil M, Garberoglio CA, Lum SS. Percutaneous sentinel lymph node biopsy in breast cancer: results of a phase 1 study. Ann Surg Oncol 2016; 23(10):3330-6.
35. Bonev V, De Paz Vilanueva CC, Solomon N, Senthil M, Reeves ME, Garberoglio CA, Lum SS. Is sentinel lymph node dissection necessary in all patients with ductal carcinoma in siti undergoing total mastectomy? Am Surg 2016;82(10):982-984.
36. Whelaon MD, Gahagan JV, Sujatha-Bhaskar S, O’Leary MP, Selleck M, Dumitra S, Lee B, Senthil M, Pigazzi A. Is fecal diversion needed in pelvic anastomoses during hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC)? Ann Surg Oncol 2017;24(8):2122-2128.
37. McMullen JRW, Selleck M, Wall NR, Senthil M. Peritoneal Carcinomatosis: limits of diagnosis and the case for liquid biopsy. Oncotarget 2017;8(26): 43481-43490.
38. Selleck MJ, Senthil M, Wall NR. Making meaningful clinical use of biomarkers. Biomark Insights 2017;19: 12: 1177271917715236.
39. Chavez de Paz Villanueva C, Bonev V, Senthil M, Solomon N, Reeves ME, Garberoglio CA, Namm JP, Lum SS. Factors associated with underestimation of invasive cancer in patients with ductal carcinoma in situ: precautions for active surveillance. JAMA Surg 2017:152(11);1007-1014.
40. Aljehani MA, Morgan JW, Guthrie LA, Jabo B, Ramadan M, Bahjri K, Lum SS, Selleck M, Reeves ME, Garberoglio C, Senthil M. Association of primary tumor site with mortality in patients receiving bevacizumab and cetuximab in metastatic colorectal cancer. JAMA Surg 2018;153(1):60-67.
41. Maroney S, de Paz CC, Reeves ME, Garberoglio C, Raskin E, Senthil M, Namm JP, Solomon N. Benefit of surgical resection of the primary tumor in patients undergoing chemotherapy for stage IV colorectal cancer with unresected metatstasis. J Gastrointest Surg 2018; 22(3): 460-466.
42. Jabo B, Selleck MJ, Morgan JW, Lum SS, Bahjri KA, Aljehani M, Garberoglio CA, Reeves ME, Namm JP, Solomon NL, Luca F, Dyke C, Senthil M. Comparison of perioperative chemotherapy with adjuvant chemoradiotherapy for rescetable gastric cancer: findings from a population based study. J Gastrointest Oncol 2018; 9(1):35-45.
43. Babcock BD, Aljehani MA, Jabo B, Choi AH, Morgan JW, Selleck MJ, Luca F, Raskin E, Reeves ME, Garberoglio CA, Lum SS, Senthil M. High- risk stage II colon cancer: Not all risks are created equal. Ann Surg Oncol 2018; 25(7);1980-85.
44. Jabo B, Selleck MJ, Morgan JW, Lum SS, Bahjri KA, Aljehani M, Garberoglio CA, Reeves ME, Namm JP, Solomon NL, Luca F, Yang G, Senthil M. Role of lymph node ratio in selection of adjuvant treatment (chemotherapy vs chemoradiation) in patients with resected gastric cancer. J Gastrointest Oncol 2018; 9(4):708-717.
45. Luca F. Craigg DK, Senthil M, Selleck MJ, Babcock BD, Reeves ME, Garberoglio CA. Sexual and urinary outcomes in robotic rectal surgery: review of the literature and technical considerations. Updates Surg 2018; 70(3):415-421.
46. Babcock BD, Jabo B, Selleck MJ, Reeves ME, Garberoglio CA, Namm J, Kazanjian K, Senthil M. Factors predictive of outcomes after cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy for colon and appendiceal carcinomatosis: Single institution experience. Am Surg 2018;84:1575-1579.
47. Malek KS, Namm JP, Garberoglio CA, Senthil M, Solomon N, Reeves ME, Lum SS.Attending surgeon variation in operative case length: an opportunity for quality improvement. Am Surg 2018; 84:1595-1599.
48. Midthun L, Shaheen S, Deisch J, Senthil M, Tsai J, Hseuh C. Concomitant KRAS and BRAF Mutations in colorectal cancer. J Gastrointest Oncol 2019:10: 577-581.
49. Ji L, Selleck MJ, Morgan JW, Xu J, Babcock BD, Shavlik D, Wall NR, Langridge WH, Lum SS, Garberoglio CA, Reeves ME, Solomon N, Namm JP, Senthil M. Gastric cancer peritoneal carcinomatosis risk score. Ann Surg Oncol 2020;27:240-247.
50. Dupont E, Tsangaris T, Garcia-Cantu C, Howard-McNatt M, Chiba A, Berger AC, Levine EA, Gass JS, Gallagher K, Lum SS, Martinez RD, Willis AI, Pandya SV, Brown EA, Fenton A, Mendiola A, Murray M, Solomon NL, Senthil M, Ollila DW, Edmonson D, Lazar M, Namm JP, Li F, Butler M, McGowan NE, Herrera ME, Avitan YP, Yoder B, Walters LL, McPartland T, Chagpar AB. Resection of cavity shave margins in stage 0-III breast cancers patients undergoing breast conserving surgery. Ann Surg. 2019. [Epub ahead of print]
51. Babcock B, Rodrigues M, Donovan K, Solomon N, Reeves ME, Senthil M, Garberoglio CA, Namm J. Improved survival with immunotherapy but lack of synergistic effect with radiation in stage IV head and neck melanoma. Am Surg 2019;85:1118-1124.
52. Malek KS, Namm J, Garberoglio CA, Senthil M, Solomon N, Reeves ME, Lum SS. Attending surgeon variation in operative case length: an opportunity for quality improvement. Am Surg 2019;84:1595-1599.
53. Selleck M, Senthil M. ASO Author reflections: Using the gastric cancer peritoneal carcinomatosis risk score to inform surveillance and treatment. Ann Surg Oncol 2020;27:248-249.
54. Thornhill R, Chang J, Selleck MJ, Senthil M, Solomon N, Namm JP, Garberoglio CA, Lum S. From evidence to practice: Are low-risk breast cancer patient still enduring unnecessary costs of radiation? Am Surg 2019; 85:1414-1418.
55. Kwong MLM, Denham L, Selleck MJ, Kim C, Kunihira K, Kubba R, Rojas R, Garberoglio C, Senthil M. Response to neoadjuvant treatment is influenced by grade in gastric cancer. Am Surg 2019;85:1419-1422.
56. Grossi S, Lin A, Wong A, Namm J, Senthil M, Gomez N, Reeves ME, Garberoglio C, Solomon N. Costs and complications: Delayed gastric emptying after pancreaticoduodenectomy. Am Surg 2019;85:1423-1428.
57. Mudgway R, Chavez de Paz Villanueva C, Lin AC, Senthil M, Garberoglioa CA, Lum SS. The impact of primary tumor surgery on survival in HER 2 positive stage IV breast cancer patients in the current era of targeted therapy. Ann Surg Oncol 2020; [Epub ahead of print]
Society of Surgical Oncology
American College of Surgeons
Alpha Omega Alpha
American Association of Cancer Research
Association of Women Surgeons
Pacific Coast Surgical Association
Arnold P. Gold Humanism foundation
Program Director - Surgical Oncology Fellowship
Loma Linda University 2015—2020
Chief, Surgical Oncology
Loma Linda University 2014—2020
Director of Peritoneal Malignancy Program
Loma Linda University 2010—2020
STERN Center for Clinical Trials