Fellow of the American College of Physicians (FACP)
As a physician scientist, I have been engaged in basic, translational and clinical research with federal funding from the VA and the NIH for more than two decades. We have been deeply involved in bench to bedside research to understand the basic mechanisms leading to pre-clinical translation and clinical trials utilizing multidisciplinary team efforts. My translational and clinical research focuses on identifying novel targets and advancing therapeutic strategies to improve clinical outcomes in malignancies. Specifically: 1. We undertake retrospective clinical and clinico-pathological studies to help characterize clinical conditions and novel prognostic markers. We identified specific SNPs predictive of chemotherapy response and toxicity in lung cancer (Lamba et al. Pharmacogenomics 2014). Secondly, as the Study Chair of a national clinical trial (through the NCI-sponsored Cancer and Leukemia Group B; CALGB), we investigated the efficacy and pharmacokinetics of an orally bioavailable anti-angiogenic molecule in myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS) (Gupta et al. Invest New Drugs 2013). Thirdly, basic and pre-clinical studies from our group identified the presence of opioid receptors on endothelial cells and tumor cells, and found that activation of these peripheral opioid receptors leads to tumor progression and shortened survival in animal models (Nguyen et al. Br J Anaesth 2014) and in patients with lung cancer (Zylla et al. Br J Anaesth 2014). Based on these findings, we have initiated an NCI-funded national clinical trial of an opioid receptor antagonist in advanced lung cancer through the NCI-sponsored Cooperative Group ALLIANCE (ClinicalTrials.gov #03087708; National Study Chair: Pankaj Gupta).
As a member of the Leukemia Committee and the Symptom Intervention Committee of the ALLIANCE, the institutional Co-Principal Investigator for the ALLIANCE at the Minneapolis VA (until recently), and currently at the Long Beach VA, the institutional PI for the NCI-VACO sponsored NAVIGATE clinical trials initiative, the PI for the VACO sponsored Lung Cancer Precision Oncology Program (STELLAR), and the institutional PI for the Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG), I actively support a wide variety of multi-center cancer clinical trials. Finally, as a member of the Intergroup Working Group on MDS, I am contributing to designing the next series of NCI-sponsored clinical trials for the treatment of MDS.
I have leadership experience at the Minneapolis VA (one of the largest hem/onc services in the VA system nationally; winner of Robert W. Carey Awards in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 [Trophy Winner] and 2009), the University of Minnesota, the Long Beach VA and University of California Irvine, and nationally. At the Minneapolis VA, I served as the Medical Director of the Hem/Onc clinic, Chair of the R&D Committee, Chair of the Research Grants Committee, a member of the Board of Directors of the VA non-profit Institute, Director of the Research Flow Cytometry Core Facility and Acting Chief, Hem/Onc. At the VA Long Beach (VALB) and Univ. of California Irvine (UCI) I am the Research Rotation Director and the site Director for the Hem/Onc Fellowship Program, the Institutional Principal Investigator(PI) for the NCI-sponsored NAVIGATE cancer clinical trials program, institutional PI for SWOG, a NCI-sponsored multi-center cancer clinical trials group, and PI for the STELLAR Program at VALB (a VA-sponsored regional lung cancer screening and precision oncology program). At the national level, I served as a member of the VA’s MERIT Review Board for Hematology, and as an ad-hoc member/reviewer for various Study Sections of the NIH (most recently the HEAL initiative to address the opioid epidemic), several European organizations, and various journals. Currently, I am a member of the Leukemia Committee and the Symptom Intervention Committee of the NCI-sponsored Cooperative Clinical Trials Group ALLIANCE, and was the institutional co-Principal Investigator for the ALLIANCE at the Minneapolis VA. At the National Cancer Institute (NIH), I am a member of the Symptom Management and Health Related Quality of Life Steering Committee [charged with reviewing and approving nationwide NCI-sponsored clinical trials] and a member of the Myelodysplastic Syndromes (MDS) Intergroup Working Group [that is designing the next generation of NCI-sponsored nationwide clinical studies in MDS]. I am a member of the ABIM Medical Oncology Board Examination Item-Writing Task Force and Standard Setting Panel, where I contribute to creating and evaluating the content of the ABIM Board Examination in Medical Oncology.
Mentoring experience: I have provided training in clinical, translational and laboratory research to Internal Medicine residents, subspecialty fellows, medical students, undergraduates, post-doctoral associates, research associates and junior faculty in my laboratory and clinic. I have served as a mentor/member of NIH-sponsored training grants including a Cancer Center Support grant, a Hematology Research Training grant and a Translational Research in Neurobiology grant. Many of my former trainees/mentees now hold faculty positions in the U.S. and elsewhere and are independently funded investigators.
1. Anand I, Gupta P. How I treat anemia in heart failure (Invited article for Blood). Blood 2020; 136(7):790-800.
2. Novy D, Nelson D, Koyyalagunta D, Cata J, Gupta P, Gupta K. Pain, opioid therapy and survival: a needed discussion. Pain 2020; 161(3):496-501.
3. Anand I, Gupta P. Anemia and iron deficiency in heart failure: Current concepts and emerging therapies. Circulation 2018; 138:80-98. (Invited State of the Art Review).
4. Mesa H, Rawal A, Gupta P. Diagnosis of lymphoid lesions in limited samples: a guide for the general surgical pathologist, cytopathologist and cytotechnologist. Am J Clin Pathol 2018;150(6):471-484.
5. Zylla D, Steele G, Shapiro A, Richter S, Gupta P. Impact of opioid use on health care utilization and survival in patients with newly diagnosed stage IV malignancies. Support Care Cancer Journal of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer 2018; 26(7):2259-66.
6. Katkish LA, Rangaraju S, Rector TS, Gravely AA, Johnson GJ, Klein MA, Gupta P. Incidence of unprovoked venous thromboembolic events in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma 2018;59(2):509-511.
7. Zylla D, Steele G, Gupta P. A systematic review of the impact of pain on overall survival in patients with cancer. Support Care Cancer Journal of the Multinational Association of Supportive Care in Cancer 2017; 25(5):1687-98.
8. Katkish L, Rector T, Ishani A, Gupta P. Incidence and severity of pseudohyperkalemia in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Leuk Lymphoma 2016; 57(8):1952-5.
9. Aich A, Gupta P, Gupta K. Could peri-operative opioid use increase the risk of cancer progression and metastases. Int Anesthesiol Clinics 2016; 54(4):e1-e16.
10. Gruenberg J, Manivel JC, Gupta P, Dykoski R, Mesa H. Fatal acute cardiac vasculopathy during cisplatin-gemcitabine-bevacizumab (CGB) chemotherapy for advanced urothelial carcinoma. J Infection Chemother 2016; 22(2):112-6.
11. Shekels LL, Buelt-Gebhardt M, Gupta P. Effect of systemic heparan sulfate haploinsufficiency on steady state hematopoiesis and engraftment of hematopoietic stem cells. Blood Cells, Mol Dis 2015; 55(1):3-9.
12. Shekels LL, Colvin Wanshura LE, Xie Y, Nelson MS, Stephenson EJ, Khan SA, Gupta P. The effects of Gremlin1 on human umbilical cord blood hematopoietic progenitors. Blood Cells, Mol Dis 2015;54(1):103-109.
13. Huang H, Bazerbachi F, Mesa H, Gupta P. Asymptomatic multiple myeloma presenting as a nodular hepatic lesion: a case report and review of the literature. Ochsner J 2015; 15(4):457-67.
14. Lamba JK, Fridley BL, Yu Q, Mehta G, Ghosh TM, Gupta P. Genetic variation in platinating agent and taxane pathway genes as predictors of outcome and toxicity in advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Pharmacogenomics 2014;15(12):1565-74.
15. Zylla D, Kuskowski M, Gupta K, Gupta P. Association of opioid use and cancer pain with progression and survival in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Br J Anaesth 2014; 113(S1):ii109-16.
16. Wang X, Owzar K, Gupta P, Larson RA, Mulkey F, Miller AA, Lewis LD, Hurd D, Vij R, Ratain MJ, Murry DJ. Vatalanib population pharmacokinetics in patients with myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS): CALGB 10105 (Alliance). Br J Clin Pharmacol 2014; 78(5):1005-13.
17. Nguyen J, Luk K, Vang D, Soto W, Vincent L, Robiner S, Saavedra R, Li Y, Gupta P, Gupta K. Morphine stimulates cancer progression and mast cell activation and impairs survival in transgenic mice with breast cancer. Br J Anaesthesia 2014; 113(S1):i4-13.
18. Zylla D, Gourley BL, Vang D, Jackson S, Boatman S, Lindgren B, Kuskowski MA, Le C, Gupta K, Gupta P. Opioid requirement, opioid receptor expression, and clinical outcomes in patients with advanced prostate cancer. Cancer 2013; 119:4103-10.
19. Gupta P, Mulkey F, Hasserjian RP, Sanford BL, Vij R, Hurd DD, Odenike OM, Bloomfield CD, Owzar K, Stone RM, Larson RA. A Phase II Study of the Oral VEGF Receptor Tyrosine Kinase Inhibitor Vatalanib (PTK787/ZK222584) in Myelodysplastic Syndrome: Cancer and Leukemia Group B Study 10105 (Alliance). Invest New Drugs 2013; 31(5):1311-20.
20. Ninan MJ, Rawal A, Mesa H, Knapp DJ, Kuskowski MA, Gupta P. Expression and phosphorylation of translation regulatory protein 4E-binding protein (BP)-1 in low-risk diffuse large B cell lymphoma. J Hematopathol 2013; 6(3):121-126.
21. Abraham A, Habermann EB, Rothenberger DA, Kwaan M, Weinberg AD, Parsons HM, Gupta P, Al-Refaie WB. Adjuvant Chemotherapy for Stage III Colon Cancer in the Oldest Old: Results beyond clinical guidelines. Cancer 2013; 119(2):395-403.
22. Boucher AA, Patel NN, Gupta P. Pulmonary vein thrombosis during treatment of non-Hodgkin lymphoma. BloodMed.com 2013; Trainees and CPD: Case reports (with images and MCQs) section; image #364.
23. Nan Z, Shekels L, Ryabinin O, Evavold C, Nelson MS, Khan SA, Deans RJ, Mays RW, Low WC, Gupta P. Intra-cerebroventricular transplantation of human bone marrow-derived multipotent progenitor cells in an immunodeficient mouse model of mucopolysaccharidosis type I (MPS-I). Cell Transplantation 2012; 21(7): 1577-93.
24. Wolf DA, Lenander AW, Nan Z, Braunlin EA, Podetz-Pedersen KM, Whitley CB, Gupta P, Low WC, McIvor RS. Increased longevity and metabolic correction following syngeneic BMT in a murine model of mucopolysaccharidosis type I. Bone Marrow Transplant 2012; 47(9):1235-40.
25. Weber ML, Vang D, Velho PE, Gupta P, Crosson JT, Hebbel RP, Gupta K.. Morphine promotes renal pathology in sickle mice. Int J Nephrol Renovasc Dis 2012; 5: 109-18.
26. Kreuziger LB, Carlson M, Mesa H, Gupta P. Perinephric extramedullary haematopoiesis in primary myelofibrosis. Br J Haematol 2012; 157(2):157.
27. Zadroga RJ, Zylla D, Cawcutt K, Musher DM, Gupta P, Kuskowski M, Dincer A, Kaka AS. Pneumoccocal pyomyositis. Clin Infect Dis 2012; 55(3):e12-17.
28. Wolf DA, Lenander A, Nan Z, Belur L, Whitley CB, Gupta P, Low WC, McIvor RS. Direct gene transfer to the CNS prevents emergence of neurologic disease in a murine model of mucopolysaccharidosis type I. Neurobiol Dis 2011; 43(1):123-33.
29. Kodali D, Rawal A, Ninan MJ, Patel MR, Knapp D, Mesa H, Schnitzer B, Kratzke RA, Gupta P. Expression and phosphorylation of eukaryotic translation initiation factor 4E-binding protein (eIF4E-BP)-1 in B-cell lymphomas and reactive lymphoid tissues. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2011; 135(3):365-71.
30. Ninan MJ, Wadhwa P, Gupta P. Prognostication of diffuse large B cell lymphoma in the rituximab era. Leuk Lymphoma 2011; 52(3):360-73.
31. Marinier D, Mesa H, Rawal A, Gupta P. Refractory cytopenias with unilineage dysplasia (RCUD): a retrospective analysis of refractory neutropenia and refractory thrombocytopenia. Leuk Lymphoma 2010; 51(10):1923-26.
32. Kohli DR, Li Y, Khasabov SG, Gupta P, Simone DA, Kehl LJ, Ericson ME, Gupta V, Hebbel RP, Gupta K. Pain related behaviors and neurochemical alterations in mice expressing sickle hemoglobin: Modulation by cannabinoids. Blood 2010; 116(3):456-65.
33. Gourley B, Mesa H, Gupta P. Rapid and complete resolution of chemotherapy-induced TTP/HUS with rituximab. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2010; 65(5):1001-1004.
34. Luikart SD, Panostalkis-Mortari A, Hinkel, T, Gupta K, Oegema TR, Gupta P. Mactinin, a fragment of alpha-actinin, is a novel inducer of heat shock protein (Hsp)-90 mediated monocyte activation. BMC Cell Biol 2009;10:60. DOI: 10.1186/1471-2121-10-60.
35. Aronovich EL, Bell JB, Khan SA, Belur LR, Gunther R, Konair BL, Schachern PA, Carlson CS, Whitley CB, McIvor RS, Gupta P, Hackett PB. Systemic Correction of Storage Disease in MPS I NOD/SCID Mice using the Sleeping Beauty Transposon System. Mol Therap 2009;17(7):1136-44.
36. Elikottil J, Gupta P, Gupta K. The analgesic potential of cannabinoids. J Opioid Manag 2009; 5(6):341-57.
37. Gupta K, Schwartz R, Gupta P, Hebbel RP. Thrombospondin inhibits VEGF-induced endothelial survival and cell cycle progression. Open Circulation Vasc J 2009; 2:1-9.
38. Dudeja V, Armstrong L, Gupta P, Ansel H, Askari S, Al-Refaie WB. Emergence of imatinib resistance associated with downregulation of c-kit expression in recurrent GIST: optimal timing of resection. J Gastrointest Surg 2009; 14(3):557-61.
39. Mesa H, Rawal A, Rezcallah A, Iwamoto C, Niehans G, Druck P, Gupta P. Burned out testicular seminoma presenting as a primary gastric malignancy. Int J Clin Oncol 2009; 14:74-77.
40. Nelson MS, Xie Y, Asrani AC, Gupta K, Gupta P. Validating real-time quantitative RT-PCR amplicons from linearly amplified primitive hematopoietic progenitor mRNA. Open Circulation Vasc J 2008; 1:1-6 (doi: 10.2174/1877382600801010001).
41. Khan SA, Nelson MS, Pan C, Gaffney PM, Gupta P. Endogenous heparan sulfate and heparin modulate bone morphogenetic protein-4 (BMP-4) signaling and activity. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol 2008; 294(6):C1387-97.
42. Hussein K, Jahagirdar B, Rogers T, Gupta P, Burns L, Larsen K, Weisdorf D. Day 14 bone marrow biopsy in predicting complete remission and survival in acute myeloid leukemia. Am J Hematol 2008; 83(6):446-50.
43. Sebasky MM, Gupta P, Filice GA. Elevated G-CSF, non-infectious leucocytosis and fevers in a patient with multiple myeloma. J Gen Intern Med 2008; 23(12):2134–5.
44. Kodali D, Mesa H, Rawal A, Cao Q, Gupta P. Thrombocytosis in myelodysplastic and myelodysplastic/myeloproliferative syndromes. Leuk Lymphoma 2007; 48(12):2375 – 2380.
45. Garcia-Rivera MF, Colvin-Wanshura LE, Nelson MS, Nan Z, Khan SA, Rogers TB, Maitra I, Low WC, Gupta P. Characterization of an immunodeficient mucopolysaccharidosis type I (MPS-I) mouse model suitable for preclinical testing of human stem cell and gene therapy. Brain Res Bull 2007; 74(6):429-38.
46. Gupta P. Impairment of the activity of glycosaminoglycan-binding cytokines by functionally abnormal heparan sulfates: a novel mechanism underlying disease pathophysiology. Scientific World J 2006; 6:452-56. (DOI 10.1100/tsw.2006.83).
47. Pan C, Nelson MS, Reyes M, Koodie L, Brazil JJ, Stephenson EJ, Zhao RC, Peters C, Selleck SB, Stringer SE, Gupta P. Functional abnormalities of heparan sulfate in mucopolysaccharidosis-I are associated with defective biological activity of FGF-2 on human multipotent progenitor cells. Blood 2005; 106 (6):1956-64.
48. Luikart SD, Krug HE, Nelson RD, Hinkel T, Majeski P, Gupta P, Mahowald M, Oegema TR. Mactinin: a modulator of the monocyte response to inflammation. Arthritis Res Therapy 2003; 5(5):R310-16.
49. Stringer SE, Nelson MS, Gupta P. Identification of a MIP-1? binding heparan sulfate oligosaccharide of defined length that supports long-term in vitro maintenance of human LTC-IC. Blood 2003; 101(6):2243-45.
50. Luikart SD, Masri M, Wahl D, Hinkel T, Beck JM, Gyetko MR, Gupta P, Oegema TR. Urokinase is required for the formation of mactinin, an ?-actinin fragment that promotes monocyte/macrophage maturation. Biochim Biophys Acta 2002; 1591: 99-107.
51. Punzel M, Gupta P, Verfaillie CM. The microenvironment of AFT024 cells maintains primitive human hematopoiesis by counteracting contact mediated inhibition of proliferation. Cell Communication and Adhesion 2002; 9 (3):149-159.
52. Brazil JJ, Gupta P. Constitutive expression of the Fas receptor and its ligand in adult human bone marrow: a regulatory feedback loop for the homeostatic control of hematopoiesis. Blood Cells Mol Dis 2002; 29 (1):94-103.
53. Gupta K, Gupta P, (joint first author), Ramakrishnan S, Hebbel RP. Binding and displacement of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) by thrombospondin: effect on human microvascular endothelial cell proliferation and angiogenesis. Angiogenesis 2000; 3:147-58.
54. Gupta P, Oegema TR, Brazil JJ, Dudek AZ, Slungaard A, Verfaillie CM. Human LTC-IC can be maintained for at least 5 weeks in vitro when interleukin-3 and a single chemokine are combined with O-sulfated heparan sulfates: requirement for optimal binding interactions of heparan sulfate with early-acting cytokines and matrix proteins. Blood 2000; 95:147-55.
55. Greenberg P, Anderson J, de Witte T, Estey E, Fenaux P, Gupta P, Hamblin T, Hellstrom-Lindberg E, List A, Mufti G, Neuwirtova R, Ohyashiki K, Oscier D, Sanz G, Sanz M, Willman C. Problematic WHO re-classification of myelodysplastic syndromes. J Clin Oncol 2000; 18:3447-9.
56. Punzel M, Gupta P, Roodell M, Mortari F, Verfaillie CM. Factor(s) secreted by AFT024 fetal liver cells following stimulation with human cytokines are important for human LTC-IC growth. Leukemia 1999; 13:1079-84.
57. Gupta K, Kshirsagar S, Li W, Gui L, Ramakrishnan S, Gupta P, Law PY, Hebbel RP. VEGF prevents apoptosis of human microvascular endothelial cells via opposing effects on MAPK/ERK and SAPK/JNK signaling. Exp Cell Res 1999; 247:495-504.
58. Gupta K, Gupta P, Solovey A, Hebbel RP. Mechanism of interaction of thrombospondin with human endothelium and inhibition of sickle erythrocyte adhesion to human endothelial cells by heparin. Biochim Biophys Acta 1999; 1453:63-73.
59. Gupta P, Niehans GA, LeRoy SC, Gupta K, Morrison VA, Schultz C, Knapp DJ, Kratzke RA. Fas ligand expression in the bone marrow in myelodysplastic syndromes correlates with FAB subtype and anemia, and predicts survival. Leukemia 1999; 13:44-53.
60. Gupta P, LeRoy SC, Luikart SD, Bateman A, Morrison VA. Long-term blood product transfusion support for patients with myelodysplastic syndromes (MDS): cost analysis and complications. Leukemia Res 1999; 23:953-59.
61. Verfaillie CM, Gupta P, Prosper F, Hurley R, Lundell B, Bhatia R. Stromal extracellular matrix components as growth regulators for human hematopoietic progenitors. Hematology 1999; 4:321-33.
62. Gupta P. Oral antibiotics can be used safely for the treatment of neutropenic fever. Natl Med J Ind 1999;12:166-7.
63. Frizelle SP, Grim J, Zhou J, Gupta P, Curiel DT, Geradts J, Kratzke RA. Re-expression of p16INK4a in mesothelioma cells results in cell cycle arrest, cell death, tumor suppression and tumor regression. Oncogene 1998; 16:3087-95.
64. Gupta P, Blazar BR, Gupta K, Verfaillie CM. Human CD34+ bone marrow cells regulate stromal production of interleukin-6 and granulocyte colony-stimulating factor and increase the colony-stimulating activity of stroma. Blood 1998; 91:3724-33.
65. Gupta P. Thrombopoietin. Natl Med J Ind 1998; 11:80-81.
66. Gupta P, Oegema TR, Brazil JJ, Dudek AZ, Slungaard A, Verfaillie CM. Structurally specific heparan sulfate support primitive human hematopoiesis by formation of a multimolecular stem cell niche. Blood 1998; 92:4641-51.
67. Gupta P. Granulocyte colony-stimulating factor in children with acute lymphoblastic leukemia. N Engl J Med 1997; 337:1320. (letter to the editor).
68. Gupta P. Gemcitabine. Natl Med J Ind 1997; 10:72-73.
69. Gupta P. Bedside case presentations. Natl Med J Ind 1997; 10:182.
70. Gupta P, McCarthy JB, Verfaillie CM. Stromal fibroblast heparan sulfate is required for cytokine-mediated ex vivo maintenance of human long-term culture-initiating cells. Blood 1996; 87:3229-36.
71. Gupta P. Adjuvant therapy for colon cancer. Natl Med J Ind 1996; 9:174.
72. Gupta P, Kochupillai V, Singh S, Berry M, Kumar L, Sundaram KR. A twelve-year study of multiple myeloma. Ind J Med Ped Oncol 1995; 16(2):108-14.
73. Gupta P, Hurley RW, Helseth PH, Goodman JL, Hammerschmidt DE. Pancytopenia due to hemophagocytic syndrome as the presenting manifestation of babesiosis. Am J Hematol 1995; 50:60-62.
74. Fredstrom S, Rogosheske J, Gupta P, Burns LJ. Extrapyramidal symptoms in a BMT recipient with hyperintense basal ganglia and elevated serum manganese. Bone Marrow Transplantation 1995; 15:989-992.
75. Burroughs J, Gupta P, Verfaillie CM. Diffusible factors from the murine cell line M2-10B4 support human in vitro hematopoiesis. Exp Hematol 1994; 22:1095-1101.
76. Tiley C, Powles R, Treleaven J, Catovsky D, Milan S, Teo CP, Catalano J, Mehta J, Shields M, Gupta P, Richards S, Millar J, Gorman C. Feasibility and efficacy of maintenance chemotherapy following autologous bone marrow transplantation for first remission acute lymphoblastic leukaemia. Bone Marrow Transplantation 1993; 12:449-55.
77. Gupta P, Kochupillai V, Bajaj R. A randomized trial of CHOP versus COPBLAM-I chemotherapy in advanced aggressive histology non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hematol Rev Communications 1993; 7:77-83.
78. Gupta P, Kochupillai V, Misra A. A randomized trial of CHOP versus P-CHOP chemotherapy in advanced aggressive histology non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hematol Rev Communications 1993; 7:85-90.
79. Kumar L, Gupta P, Kochupillai V. A phase II trial of alternating non-cross resistant chemotherapy (MCP-842) in aggressive non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. Hematol Rev Communications 1993; 7:71-75.
80. Gupta K, Sood A, Gupta P. Morphine administration induces cataract like changes in rat lens proteins, polyols, G6PD and AR. J Basic and Appl Biomedicine 1993; 2:25-29.
81. Gupta K, Gupta P. Taurine in Friedrich's ataxia. J Basic and Appl Biomedicine 1993; 1:1-4.
82. Misra A, Gupta P, Sharma R. Haematopoietic growth factors (HGFs, Biomodulators) in cytopenias: clinical perspectives. J Basic and Appl Biomedicine 1993; 2:57-66.
83. Kochupillai V, Gupta P, Misra A. A phase II trial of cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin and cisplatin (CAP) in advanced breast cancer. Am J Clin Oncol 1992; 15(5):388-91.
84. Gupta P, Tiley C, Powles R, Treleaven J, Millar J, Catalano J. No increase in relapse in patients with myeloid leukaemias receiving rhGM-CSF after allogeneic bone marrow transplantation. Bone Marrow Transplantation 1992; 9:491-93.
85. Gupta P, Tandon R. Mitoxantrone for advanced breast cancer. J Assoc Physicians Ind 1992; 40:282.
86. Gupta P, Bijlani L, Rath GK, Misra A, Mishra MC, Shurla NK, Kapur BML. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy with cyclophosphamide, doxorubicin and 5-fluorouracil (CAF) or with cyclophosphamide, methotrexate and 5-fluorouracil (CMF) in 69 cases of locally advanced (stage IIIb) breast cancer. Surgery Today 1991; 21(6):637-42.
87. Gupta P, Bijlani L, Dawar R. Angiocentric lymphoma. Ind J Pathol Microbiol 1991; 34(4):293-95.
88. Kumar H, Garg SP, Kumar A, Gupta P. Serous macular detachment in lymphoproliferative disorders. Canadian J Ophthalmol 1991; 26(5):280-82.
89. Gupta P. Adult T-cell leukemia/lymphoma virus (HTLV-I) and HTLV-II and their transmission through blood. In: Verghese T, Kumari S, Chattopadhyaya D, Rai A (eds). Transfusion Associated AIDS and Other Infections, 1990, pp 53-56.
90. Gupta P. Electrocardiographic changes occurring after brief antimony administration in the presence of dilated cardiomyopathy. Postgrad Med J 1990; 66(782):1089.
91. Gupta P, Pande JN. Pulmonary and diaphragmatic functions in chronic severe nutritional anemia. Natl Med J Ind 1989;2:266-68.
92. Misra A, Gupta P, Bhargava M, Kochupillai V. Cytochemical characterization of extramedullary blast crisis in patients of chronic myelogenous leukemia using fine needle aspiration biopsy. N Zealand Med J 1989; 102 (871):358-59.
93. Misra A, Gupta P. The polymerase chain reaction. Natl Med J Ind 1989; 2:190.
94. Gupta P, Misra A. Aggressive non-surgical treatment for locally advanced breast cancer. Natl Med J Ind 1989; 2:27.
95. Kumar L, Gupta P, Agarwal S, Misra A, Kochupillai V. Low-dose cytosine arabinoside in acute non-lymphoblastic leukemias and myelodysplastic syndromes. Natl Med J Ind 1988; 1:229-3
96. Gupta P, Gupta K. Broken tablets: does the sum of the parts equal the whole. Am J Hosp Pharmac 1988; 45(7):1498.
97. Gupta P, Misra A, Kochupillai V. A case of myelodysplastic syndrome: an unusual presentation and partial response to non-cytotoxic combination chemotherapy. Ind J Hematol 1988; 6:213-15.
98. Kochupillai V, Gupta P. Plasma cell myeloma. In: Kulpati DDS (ed). Recent Advances in Medicine, Vol II, 1988.
NCI (Alliance #A221504); Gupta (PI); 10/01/2017 – 9/30/2022; Title: Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Pilot Study of an Oral, Selective Peripheral Opioid Receptor Antagonist in Advanced Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (Adenocarcinoma). Goals: Examine the effect of opioid receptor blockade on quality of life and lung cancer outcomes. Role: PI.
NCI and Veterans Health Administration (#CSP-C0007); Gupta (PI); 10/01/2018 – 9/30/2022; Title: NCI and VA Interagency Group to Accelerate Trials Enrollment (NAVIGATE). Goals: To create a comprehensive cancer clinical trials program at VA Long Beach. Role: Site PI at VA Long Beach.
Rita and Alex Hillman Foundation (# MIRB1929); Yamarick (PI); 10/012020 – 9/30/2021
Tille: Nurse-Led Advance Care Planning using PREPARE. Goals: To develop a system for nurse-led counseling of cancer/dialysis patients on advance directives. Role: Co-Investigator.
Department of Defense (DoD #PC190263); Hoyt (PI); 9/01/2020 – 8/31/2022. Title: Inflammatory processes, emotion regulation and depression in prostate cancer survivors. Goals: Long-term study of depression and symptom trajectories in patients with early-stage prostate cancer. Role: Multi-PI.
Department of Defense (DoD #CA190644); Fruman (PI); 9/01/2020 – 8/31/2022. Title: Mechanism and clinical application of statin/venetoclax combinations in blood cancer. Goal: To develop a novel combination therapy (including statins) for acute myeloid leukemia. Role: Co-Investigator.
Veterans Health Administration (#1 I50 CU000173-01); 7/01/2021 – 6/30/2026. Title: Southern California Lung Cancer Program (STELLAR). Goals: To create a lung cancer screening precision oncology clinical trials program in southwestern USA. Role: Site PI at VA Long Beach.
Medical Oncology Association of Southern California (MOASC)