Biotechnology education, innate immunity, complement, macrophage activation
1. Roach, T.I.A., Slater, S.E., Koval, M., White, L., Cahir McFarland, E., Okumura, M., Thomas, M., and Brown, E.J. CD45 Regulates Src Family Kinase Activity associated with Macrophage Integrin-mediated Adhesion. Current Biology, 7(6):408-417, 1997.
2. Blystone, S.D., Williams, M.P., Slater, S.E., and Brown, E.J.: Requirement of Integrin ß3 Tyrosine 747 for ß3 Tyrosine Phosphorylation and Regulation of avß3 Avididty. Journal of Biological Chemistry, 272 (45): 28757-28761, 1997.
3. Roach, T.I.A., Slater, S.E., White, L., Zhang, X., Majerus, P.W., Brown, E.J., and Thomas, M.L.: The Protein Tyrosine Phosphatase SHP-1 Regulates Integrin-mediated Adhesion of Macrophages. Current Biology, 8(18):1035-1038, 1998
4. Blystone, S.D., Slater, S.E., Williams, M.P., Crow, M.T. and Brown, E.J.: A Molecular Mechanism of Integrin Crosstalk: avß3 Supression of Calcium/Calmodulin-Dependent Protein Kinase II Regulates a5ß1 Function. Journal of Cell Biology, 145 (4):889-897, 1999
5. Bohlson, S.S., Strasser, J.A., Bower, J.J and Schorey J.S.: The Role of Complement in M. avium Pathogenesis: In vitro and in vivo analysis of the Host Response in the Absence of Complement Component C3. Infection and Immunity, 2001, 69 (12) 7729-35.
6. Bohlson, S.S, Zhang, M., Ortiz, C.E., and Tenner, A.J. CD93 interacts with the PDZ doman containing protein GIPC: Implications in the modulation of phagocytosis. Journal of Leukocyte Biology, 2005, 77(1):80-9.
7. Zhang, M., Bohlson, S.S., Dy, M., and Tenner, A.J. Modulated interaction of the ERM protein, moesin, with CD93. Immunology, 2005, 115:63-73.
8. Bohlson, S.S., Silva, R. Fonseca, M.I. and Tenner, A.J. CD93 is rapidly shed from the surface of human myeloid cells in response to a variety of stimuli and the soluble form is detected in human plasma. J of Immun, 2005, 175: 1239-1247.
9. Fraser D., Bohlson, S.S, Jasinskiene, N., Rawal, N., Palmerini, G., Ruiz, S., Rochford, R., and Tenner, A. C1q and MBL, components of the innate immune system, modulate monocyte cytokine expression. J of Leuk Bio, 2006, Jul;80(1):107-16
10. Fraser, D., Arora, M., Bohlson, S.S, Lozano, E., and Tenner, A.J. Generation of Inhibitory NF?B Complexes and pCREB Correlates with the Anti-inflammatory Activity of Complement Protein C1q in Human Monocytes. J Biol Chem, 2007 Mar 9;282(10):7360-7.
11. Bohlson, S.S., Fraser, D., Tenner, A.J. Complement Proteins C1q and MBL are Pattern Recognition Molecules that Signal Immediate and Long Term Protective Immune Functions. Review. Mol Immunology, 2007 Jan;44(1-3):33-43.
12. Lillis, A., Greenlee, M., Mikhailenko, I., Pizzo S., Tenner A., Strickland, D., and Bohlson, S. Murine LRP is required for phagocytosis of targets bearing LRP ligands but is not required for C1q-triggered enhancement of phagocytosis. J of Immun. 2008, July: 181(1): 364-373.
13. Greenlee, M.C., Sullivan, S.A., and Bohlson, S.S. CD93 and Related Family Members: Their Role in Innate Immunity. Review. Current Drug Targets. 2008, Feb:9(2):130-8.
14. Greenlee, M., Sullivan, S., and Bohlson, S.S. Detection and characterization of soluble CD93 released during inflammation. Inflammation Research, 2009, July 15
15. Kozmar, A., Greenlee-Wacker, M.C., Bohlson, S.S. Macrophage response to apoptotic cells varies with the apoptotic trigger and is not altered by a deficiency in LRP expression. J of Innate Immun. 2010, 2(3): 248- 259.
16. Greenlee-Wacker MC, Galvan MD and Bohlson, S.S. CD93: Recent Advances and Implications in Disease. Current Drug Targets. 2011, Dec 29 [Epub ahead of print].
17. Greenlee-Wacker MC, Briseño C, Galvan M, Moriel G, Velázquez P, Bohlson, S.S. Membrane-Associated CD93 Regulates Leukocyte Migration and C1q-Hemolytic Activity during Murine Peritonitis. J of Immun. 2011, Sep 15;187(6):3353-61. Epub 2011 Aug 17.
18. Galvan, M.D., Foreman D.B., Zeng, E., Tan, J.C., Bohlson, S.S. Complement component C1q regulates macrophage expression of Mer tyrosine kinase to promote clearance of apoptotic cells, J of Immun. 2012 Apr 15;188(8):3716-23.
19. Galvan MD, Greenlee-Wacker MC, and Bohlson, S.S. C1q and phagocytosis: the perfect complement to a good meal. J of Leuk Bio. 2012 Sep;92(3):489-97.
20. Galvan, M. D., Hulsebus, H., Heitker, T., Zeng, E., and Bohlson, S.S. Complement protein C1q and adiponectin stimulate Mer tyrosine kinase dependent engulfment of apoptotic cells through a shared pathway J. Innate Immun. 2014. June 6: 780-92.
21. Bohlson, S.S., O’Conner. S.D., Hulsebus, H.H., Ho, M., and Fraser. Complement, C1q, and C1q-related molecules regulate macrophage polarization. Frontiers in Immunology. 2014. Aug 21;5:402
22. Hulsebus, H.J., O’Conner, SD., Smith, E.M., Jie, C., and Bohlson, S.S. Programmed efferocytosis and inhibition of proinflammatory signaling by complement component C1q in primary macrophages.” Frontiers in Immunology. 2016. 7:230
23. Thielens, N., Tedesco, F., Bohlson, S.S., Gaboriaud, C. and Tenner, A.J. C1q: A fresh look upon an old molecule. Mol Immunol. 2017 Sep; 89:73-83. PMID 28601358
24. Bohlson, S.S., Garred, P., Kemper, C., and Tenner, A.J. Complement Nomenclature- Deconvoluted. Frontiers in Immunology. 2019 June. PMID 31231398
25. Willmann, E.A., Pandurovic, V., Jokinen, A., Beckley, D., Bohlson, S.S. Extracellular signal-regulated kinase 1/2 is required for complement component C1q and fibronectin dependent enhancement of Fc?- receptor mediated phagocytosis in mouse and human cells. BMC Immunology. 2020 Dec 21:61PMID 33317446
26. Bohlson, S.S., Baty, JJ, Greenlee-Wacker, MC, Bruns, HA. Piecing Complement Together with LEGO Bricks: Impacts on Interest, Confidence, and Learning in the Immunology Classroom. Immunohorizons. 2022. July 22;6(7); PMID 35868839