clinical informatics, social media, information technology
UCLA School of Medicine Outstanding Problem-Based Learning Tutor Award, 2010 - 2011
Medical Student Teaching Award, UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Department of Psychiatry, 2007 – 2008
Housestaff Teaching Award, UCLA Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior, Department of Psychiatry, 2005 – 2006
Resident’s Outstanding Faculty Award, UC Davis Department of Psychiatry, 1999 – 2000
Fellowship, Medical Informatics, UC Davis Department of Psychiatry, 1998-1999
Fellowship, Medical Education, UCLA School of Medicine, 2009-2011
EpicCare 2010 Inpatient Clinical Documentation, 2012-2013
Fellow, American College of Psychiatrists, 2015
Distinguished Fellow, Association for Academic Psychiatry, 2013
Roberts Award for Inspirational Mentorship in Academic Psychiatry, Association for Academic Psychiatry, 2009
Regional Teaching Award - Region VI, Association for Academic Psychiatry, 2009
Distinguished Fellow, American Psychiatric Association, 2009
American Psychiatric Association Irma Bland, M.D. Award for Excellence in Teaching Residents, 2008
American Psychiatric Association Nancy C.A. Roeske, M.D. Certificate of Recognition for Excellence in Medical Student Education, 2003
American College of Psychiatrists Laughlin Fellow, 1998
American Psychiatric Association/Center for Mental Health Services Minority Fellowship,
Award 1995 – 1997
John Luo, M.D. is the Director of Emergency & Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry at the University of California Irvine Medical Center. He is on faculty as a Health Sciences Clinical Professor of Psychiatry at the University of California Irvine School of Medicine. Dr. Luo is an internationally recognized educator and expert on behavioral health informatics. He has presented at numerous conferences, written books and articles on technology use in mental health, and he has been recognized locally and nationally for excellence in teaching.
Dr. Luo completed a medical informatics fellowship at the UC Davis Department of Psychiatry as well as a fellowship in medical education at the UCLA School of Medicine. He was chief resident and resident at the Harbor-UCLA Medical Center in Psychiatry and received his medical degree from the University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. He is board certified in general psychiatry and clinical informatics.
1. Hilty D, Chan S, Torous J, Luo J, Boland R. “A Framework for Competencies for the Use of Mobile Technologies in Psychiatry and Medicine: Scoping Review”, JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2020 Feb 21;8(2):e12229. doi: 10.2196/12229
2. A Guide for the 21st Century Psychiatrist to Managing Your Online Reputation, Your Privacy, and Professional Use of Social Media.
Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2019 Dec;42(4):649-658. doi: 10.1016/j.psc.2019.08.011. Review.
3. Mobile Health, Smartphone/Device, and Apps for Psychiatry and Medicine: Competencies, Training, and Faculty Development Issues.
Hilty DM, Chan S, Torous J, Luo J, Boland RJ.
Psychiatr Clin North Am. 2019 Sep;42(3):513-534. doi: 10.1016/j.psc.2019.05.007. Review.
4. Approaches for Departments, Schools, and Health Systems to Better Implement Technologies Used for Clinical Care and Education.
Hilty DM, Unützer J, Ko DG, Luo J, Worley LLM, Yager J.
Acad Psychiatry. 2019 Jun 6. doi: 10.1007/s40596-019-01074-2.
5. Clinical Informatics in Psychiatric Training: Preparing Today's Trainees for the Already Present Future.
Torous J, Chan S, Luo J, Boland R, Hilty D.
Acad Psychiatry. 2018 Oct;42(5):694-697. doi: 10.1007/s40596-017-0811-4. Epub 2017 Oct 18.
6. A framework for telepsychiatric training and e-health: Competency-based education, evaluation and implications.
Hilty DM, Crawford A, Teshima J, Chan S, Sunderji N, Yellowlees PM, Kramer G, O'neill P, Fore C, Luo J, Li ST.
Int Rev Psychiatry. 2015;27(6):569-92. doi: 10.3109/09540261.2015.1091292. Epub 2015 Nov 5. Review.
7. Long-Acting Injectable Risperidone for Relapse Prevention and Control of Breakthrough Symptoms After a Recent First Episode of Schizophrenia. A Randomized Clinical Trial.
Subotnik KL, Casaus LR, Ventura J, Luo JS, Hellemann GS, Gretchen-Doorly D, Marder S, Nuechterlein KH.
JAMA Psychiatry. 2015 Aug;72(8):822-9. doi: 10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2015.0270.
8. The impact of second-generation antipsychotic adherence on positive and negative symptoms in recent-onset schizophrenia.
Subotnik KL, Ventura J, Gretchen-Doorly D, Hellemann GS, Agee ER, Casaus LR, Luo JS, Villa KF, Nuechterlein KH.
Schizophr Res. 2014 Oct;159(1):95-100. doi: 10.1016/j.schres.2014.07.008. Epub 2014 Aug 6.
9. Emergency medicine and psychiatry agreement on diagnosis and disposition of emergency department patients with behavioral emergencies.
Douglass AM, Luo J, Baraff LJ.
Acad Emerg Med. 2011 Apr;18(4):368-73. doi: 10.1111/j.1553-2712.2011.01024.x.
10 Telepsychiatry: an overview for psychiatrists.
Hilty DM, Luo JS, Morache C, Marcelo DA, Nesbitt TS.
CNS Drugs. 2002;16(8):527-48. Review.
American Psychiatric Association
Association for Academic Psychiatry
American College of Psychiatrists
American Association for Technology In Psychiatry
American Medical Informatics Association