Social Epistemology, Wittgenstein, American Pragmatism
UCI Chancellor's ADVANCE Postdoctoral Fellow, 2018-2019
My current research focuses on hinge epistemology, social epistemology and epistemic injustice. I am working in particular on the nature of prejudice and stereotypes, which I investigate through the lenses of the later Wittgenstein’s thought.
My next book will be on Wittgenstein's notion of forms of life (under contract with Cambridge University Press).
I have been working extensively also on pragmatism, particularly on Charles S. Peirce, William James, and Frank P. Ramsey.
(3) (Forthcoming) Wittgenstein on Forms of Life. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press
(2) Wittgenstein and Pragmatism. On Certainty in the Light of Peirce and James. London: Palgrave Macmillan, 2016
(1) Wittgenstein. Lo sguardo e il limite. Milan: Mimesis, 2012
(2) Pragmatism Today, IX (2), 2018, Special issue: “The Varieties of Immediate Experience. Between Wittgenstein and Pragmatism”, co-edited with Roberta Dreon.
(1) Philosophical Inquiries, V (2): 57-148, Focus “Practicing William James”.
Articles and Book Chapters
(Forthcoming) “Wrong Hinges”, in Perspectives on Moral Certainty, eds. C. Eriksen, J. Hermann, N. O’Hara and N. Pleasants, London: Routledge.
(Forthcoming) “Between Captivity and Liberation: The Role of Pictures in Wittgenstein”, in Wittgensteinian Exercises. Aesthetic and Ethical Transformations, ed. L. Guidi, Paderborn: Fink/Brill.
(28) “Sense and Common Sense in William James", in The Jamesian Mind, edited by Sarin Marchetti, London: Routledge.
(27) "Prejudice in Testimonial Justification: A Hinge Account", Episteme, Early view: 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1017/epi.2021.40
(26) "LGBTQ Identities and Hermeneutical Injustice at the Border", Humana.Mente Journal of Philosophical Studies, 14(39): 151-174, 2021
(25) "Enactivism and Normativity. The case of Aesthetic Gestures", The Journal for the Philosophy of Language, Mind and the Arts, I (2), 2020
(24) “On Contexts, Hinges, and Impossible Mistakes” (Critical Notice on N. Venturinha’s Description of Situations), Logos & Episteme, XI (4), 2020
(23) “Relativism and Pragmatism”, in The Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy of Relativism, edited by Martin Kusch, London: Routledge, 2019
(22) “Hinges, Prejudices and Radical Doubters”, Wittgenstein-Studien, Internationales Jahrbuch für Wittgenstein-Forschung, 10 (1): 165-181, 2019
(21) “William James and Wittgenstein”, in Klein, A. ed. The Oxford Handbook of William James, Oxford: Oxford University Press (published online Jan 2019, hardback in print).
(20) “Wittgenstein’s Pragmatism? Some Notes on Cheryl Misak’s Reading”, Transactions of the Charles S. Peirce Society, 54 (2): 368-377, 2018
(19) “Wittgenstein on Meaning, Use and Linguistic Commitment”, in D.G. Stern, ed. Wittgenstein in the 1930s: Between the Tractatus and the Investigations, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2018
(18) “Immediacy and Experience in Wittgenstein’s Notion of ‘Imponderable Evidence’”, Pragmatism Today, IX (2): 94-106, 2018
(17) Introduction to the Special Issue “The Varieties of Immediate Experience”, Pragmatism Today, IX (2): 5-8, 2018 (co-authored with Roberta Dreon)
(16) “Common Sense, Philosophy, and Mental Disturbance: A Wittgensteinian Outlook”, in J. Gonçalves, I.V. Hipólito and J. Pereira, eds. Schizophrenia and Common Sense. Explaining the Relation between Madness and Social Values, London: Springer Nature, 2018
(15) “Wittgenstein and Pragmatism: A Neglected Remark in Manuscript 107”, in Baghramian, M. and Marchetti, S., eds. Pragmatism and the European Traditions: Encounters with Analytic Philosophy and Phenomenology before the Great Divide, London: Routledge, 2017
(14) “The ‘Middle’ Wittgenstein (and the ‘Later’ Ramsey) on the Pragmatist Conception of Truth”, in Misak, Cheryl, and Price, Huw, eds. The Practical Turn: Pragmatism in Britain in the Long 20th Century, Oxford: Oxford University Press, Proceedings of the British Academy Series, 2017
(13) “Religious Experience, Psychology, and Healing in a Pragmatist Perspective. Introduction to the Focus ‘Practicing William James’”, Philosophical Inquiries, V (2): 57-62, 2017
(12) “‘I’ll Show you Something We Humans Do’. Facts of Life in Wittgenstein and Peirce”. Paradigmi. Rivista di Filosofia, XXXIV (3): 51-65, 2016
(11) “Elucidating Forms of Life. The Evolution of a Philosophical Tool”, in Nordic Wittgenstein Review, (S.I.): 155-175, 2015
(10) “Parole che ‘ingranano’. Le radici pragmatiste di un concetto wittgensteiniano”, in Oliverio, S., Santarelli, M. and Striano, M., eds. Nuovi usi per vecchi concetti. Contributi per la filosofia e le scienze sociali, Milan: Mimesis, 2015
(9) “Il naturalismo esteso di Sidney Hook e Morton White”, in Calcaterra, R. M., Maddalena, G. and Marchetti, G. eds. Pragmatismo. Dalle origini agli sviluppi contemporanei, Rome: Carocci, 2015
(8) “From Wheels Turning Idly to Meaning as Use. Pragmatist Tendencies in the ‘Middle’ Wittgenstein”, in Realism, Relativism, Constructivism. Contributions of the 38th International Wittgenstein Symposium (pre-proceedings), Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society, 2015
(7) “On Trying to Say What ‘Goes without Saying’. Wittgenstein on Certainty and Ineffability”, Ricerche di Pedagogia e Didattica – Journal of Theories and Research in Education, IX (1): 51-68, 2014
(6) “‘Le mie proposizioni illustrano così’. Scrittura e Mistico in Wittgenstein”, in Bazzani, F., Lanfredini, R. and Vitale, S. eds. Scrivere di Dio, Florence: Clinamen, 2014
(5) “Enactivism and the ‘Explanatory Trap’. A Wittgensteinian Perspective”, Methode - Analytic Perspectives, II (2): 27-49, 2013
(4) “The ‘Pragmatic Maxim’ in Wittgenstein’s On Certainty”, in Mind, Language and Action. Papers of the 36th International Wittgenstein Symposium (pre-proceedings), Austrian Ludwig Wittgenstein Society, 2013
(3) “Streams and River-Beds. James’ Stream of Thought in Wittgenstein’s Manuscripts 165 and 129”, European Journal of Pragmatism and American Philosophy, IV (2): 36-53, 2012
(2) “‘The Mother-Tongue of Thought’. James and Wittgenstein on Common Sense”, Cognitio. Revista de Filosofia (São Paulo, Brazil), XIII (1): 37-59, 2012
(1) “From the Ground to the Background. Forms of Life as ‘the Given’ in Wittgenstein”, L&PS – Logic and Philosophy of Science, IX (1): 451-460, 2011
(1) “Let Me Tell You a Story: Heroes and Events of Pragmatism. Interview with Hilary Putnam”, co-authored with Michela Bella, European Journal of Pragmatism and American Philosophy, VII (1): 230-238, 2015
(6) Review of Wittgenstein and Scientism, by J. Beale and I.J. Kidd (eds.); Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews, July 2018
(5) Review of Wittgenstein, l’estetica e le arti, by E. Caldarola, D. Quattrocchi and G. Tomasi (eds.); Aphex – Portale italiano di filosofia analitica, Issue 10/2014
(4) Review of Shifting Ground. Knowledge and Reality, Transgression and Trustworthiness, by Naomi Scheman; Humana.Mente Journal of Philosophical Studies, Issue 22/2012.
(3) Review of New Perspectives on Pragmatism and Analytic Philosophy, by Rosa M. Calcaterra (ed.); European Journal of Pragmatism and American Philosophy, III (2), 2011
(2) Review of Philosophical Delusion and its Therapy, by Eugen Fischer; Aphex – Portale italiano di filosofia analitica, Issue 4/2011
(1) Review of L’albero del Tractatus, by Luciano Bazzocchi; Humana.Mente - Journal of Philosophical Studies, Issue 18/2011