Skin cancer, Mohs surgery, Health policy
Fulbright Fellowship, Terengganu, Malaysia 2006-2007
• Served as an English teacher in Terengganu, Malaysia at an Islamic, all-girls secondary school
• Studied local health care practice at the largest hospital in the state
American Academy of Dermatology Association's Sept 2017 Legislative Conference Scholarship
• Selected to attend the annual AADA Legislative Conference in Washington, DC to develop political advocacy and leadership skills, participate in Congressional meetings and grassroots advocacy
AAD Resident International Grant Oct 2016
• Award to complete a four-week elective in Gaborone, Botswana, take part in dermatologic HIV care for both children and adults, and visit outreach sites in Francistown and Southern Botswana
Women's Dermatologic Society Mentorship Award Sept 2016
• Award to study dermatology and clinical guideline development with Professor Catherine Smith at St. John's Institute of Dermatology at Guy's and St. Thomas' Hospital in London, England
JAAD Editorial Mentorship Award May 2016
• Program designed to help young physicians develop critical appraisal and editorial skills by reviewing articles under the supervision of a mentor
American Society for Dermatologic Surgery Resident Scholarship Oct 2016
• Funding awarded in order to attend the ASDS annual meeting
American Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery Preceptorship Program Mar 2016
• Award to learn about lasers and research the optical perception of blue nevi with Dr. Jared Jagdeo
Office of International Programs Summer Travel Grant May 2009
• Grant to travel to Arequipa, Peru to complete a two-month Spanish language study program
Rose Award, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA Jun 2006
• $1,000 University award that recognizes “outstanding achievement in research by undergraduates”
David M. Robb Thesis Prize, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA Jun 2006
• History of Art Departmental award for best Honors thesis
Dean’s List, Philadelphia, PA Jun 2006
• Granted to students who have maintained at least a 3.7 GPA over two consecutive semesters
• Urso B, Kuan E, and Shive M. Intralesional Candida antigen injection as a treatment modality for sinonasal squamous papilloma. International Forum of Allergy & Rhinology. Accepted
• Juhasz M, Sharma A, Lee P, Zachary C, and Shive M. Electrosurgery use during post-Mohs micrographic surgery repair and complication rates – how important is a dry field? Dermatologic Surgery. Accepted.
• Shive M, Hou Z, Zachary C, Cohen J, Rivers R. The Use of Chlorhexidine as a Skin Preparation on the Head and Neck: A Systematic Review of Ocular and Ototoxicity. Dermatologic Surgery. 2021 Jan 1;47(1):34- 37.
• Shive M, Zachary C, Lee P. Virtual Didactics Exchanges to Enhance Trainee Education. JAAD. 2020 Jun; S0190-9622(20)31027-6.
• Sharma A, Martin B, Shive M, Zachary B. The Readability of online patient information about laser resurfacing therapy. Dermatol Online J. 2020 Apr 15;26(4):13030/qt5t9882ct
• Shive M, Coakley B, Bierman D, Serowka K, Wiegell S, Haedersdal M, Zachary C. Use of 5-Aminolevulinic Acid and Daylight Photodynamic Therapy for the Treatment of Actinic Keratoses. Dermatologic Surgery. 2019 Apr; 45(4):529-535.
• Shive M, Zachary C, Lee P. Moh Play-Doh Please: Using Modeling Clay to Teach Concepts Underlying Mohs Surgery. Dermatologic Surgery. 2019 Jan 11.
• Shive, M. Eye taping and chlorhexidine exposure: caution in interpreting scarce evidence. Canadian Journal of Anesthesia. 2018 March; 65(3):322.
• Shive M, Bhatt M, Madkan V, and Pinter-Brown L. Localized Urticaria During Rituximab Infusion During Treatment of Cutaneous Lymphoid Hyperplasia. Clinical Skin Cancer. Dec 2017; 2 (1-2):66-68.
• Pouldar D, Shive M, Gee SN. Papular eruption in a woman with Down syndrome. J Am Acad Dermatol. Oct 2017;77(4):e95-e96.
• Shive M, Ho D, Lai O, Mamalis A, Miller KM, Jagdeo J. The Role of Subtractive Color Mixing in the Perception of Blue Nevi and Veins-Beyond the Tyndall Effect. JAMA Dermatol. Oct 01 2016;152(10):1167- 1169.
• Wehner MR, Chren MM, Shive ML, Resneck J, Pagoto S, Seidenberg A, Linos E. Twitter: an opportunity for public health campaigns. Lancet. Jul 12 2014;384(9938):131-132.
• Berger TG, Shive M, Harper GM. Pruritus in the older patient: a clinical review. JAMA. Dec 11 2013;310(22):2443-2450.
• Shive M, Linos E, Berger T, Wehner M, Chren MM. Itch as a patient-reported symptom in ambulatory care visits in the United States. J Am Acad Dermatol. Oct 2013;69(4):550-556.
• Shive M, Bhatt M, Cantino A, Kvedar J, Jethwani K. Perspectives on acne: what Twitter can teach health care providers. JAMA Dermatol. May 2013;149(5):621-622.
• Park HS, Schoenfeld JD, Mailhot RB, Shive M, Hartman R, Ogembo L, Mucci L. Statins and prostate cancer recurrence following radical prostatectomy or radiotherapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Ann Oncol. Jun 2013;24(6):1427-1434.
• Shive ML, Baskin LS, Harris CR, Bonham M, MacKenzie JD. Ureteral fibroepithelial polyp causing urinary obstruction. J Radiol Case Rep. Jul 2012;6(7):23-28.
• Wehner MR, Shive ML, Chren MM, Han J, Qureshi AA, Linos E. Indoor tanning and non-melanoma skin cancer: systematic review and meta-analysis. BMJ. Oct 02 2012;345:e5909.
• Shive M, Dorn B. Leadership versus management training in residency programs. J Am Acad Dermatol. Oct 2012;67(4):789.
• Blumenthal S and Shive M. July 22, 2011. Making AIDS History. The Huffington Post.
• Shive M and Blumenthal S. March 30, 2011. The Beginning and End of AIDS: Marking the 30th Anniversary of the Epidemic. The Akili Journal. .
• Blumenthal S and Shive M. November 30, 2011. A Roadmap for an AIDS-Free Generation. The Huffington Post. < http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-blumenthal/world-aids-day_b_1120968.html>.
• Blumenthal S and Shive M. December 1, 2009. World AIDS Day: Women’s Rights and AIDS. The Huffington Post. < http://www.huffingtonpost.com/susan-blumenthal/world-aids-day-womens- rig_b_375450.html>.
• Blumenthal S and Shive M. December 1, 2008. AIDS: A Stigma Endures. San Francisco Chronicle. < http://www.sfgate.com/opinion/article/AIDS-A-stigma-endures-3182902.php>
• Shive M. Fall 2008. The Dissolution of Pictorial Thresholds: the Angel Pietàs of Andrea del Sarto, Rosso Fiorentino, and Jacopo da Pontormo. Rutgers Art Review.
• Blumenthal S, and Shive M. August 12, 2008. AIDS Amnesia in America. Washington Times.
• Blumenthal S, Dunn-Georgiou E, and Shive M. April 1, 2008. Pervasive Stigma Surrounds Women Living with HIV/AIDS. The Huffington Post. .
• Blumenthal S, Ko Y, Hoffman B, and Shive M. March 2, 2008. U.S. Presidential Candidates' Health Care Plans Update: A Side-by-Side Comparison. The Huffington Post. .
• Blumenthal S, Ko Y, Hoffman B, and Shive M. Jan. 2, 2008. U.S. Presidential Candidates' Health Care Plans Update: A Side-by-Side Comparison. The Huffington Post. .
• Blumenthal S, Shive M, Hoffman B, Ko Y. Dec. 12, 2007. U.S. Presidential Candidates' Health Care Plans 2008: HIV/AIDS Proposals -- A Time for Leadership. The Huffington
• Blumenthal S and Shive M. World AIDS Day 2007: Electing to Fight AIDS. Nov. 30, 2007. The Huffington Post. .
• Blumenthal S and Shive M. Nov. 29, 2007. Will the Next President Fight AIDS? Newsweek.com.
ACADEMIC POSTERS AND PRESENTATIONS:
• Shive, Melissa. Virtual Rotations. Oral Presentation at the Association of the Professors of Dermatology Virtual Conference; 2020 July 18.
• Shive, Melissa. Pearls in the Management of High-Risk SCCs. Oral presentations at: Orange County Dermatology Society; 2019 September 18; Irvine, CA.
• Shive, Melissa. Cases from Dermatology. Oral presentation at: Otolaryngology Grand rounds; 2018 February 6; Orange, CA.
• Shive, Melissa and Scott Worswick. Widespread verrucous papules in an otherwise healthy man: A case of psoriasis verrucosa. Oral presentation at: Pacific Dermatologic Association Annual Meeting; 2017 August 17; San Francisco, CA.
• Shive, Melissa and Sarah Gee. Perichondritis-like presentation of T-cell large granular lymphocytic leukemia cutis. Oral presentation at: Gross and Microscopic Symposium, AAD Annual Meeting; 2016 March 5; Washington, DC.
• Shive, Melissa, Vandana Madkan, and Lauren Pinter-Brown. Localized Urticaria During Rituximab Infusion. Oral poster presentation at: AAD Annual Meeting; 2016 March 5; Washington, DC.
• Shive, Melissa, Betty Yan, Vanessa Holland, Scott Worswick. Acute graft-versus-host-disease after lung transplantation. Oral presentation at: LA Metroderm October Meeting; 2015 October 27; Los Angeles, CA.
• Shive, Melissa. Gone Wrong: Complications of Cosmetic Procedures. Oral presentation at: UCLA Grand Rounds; 2015 October 6; Los Angeles, CA.
• Shive, Melissa, Vandana Madkan, and Lauren Pinter-Brown. Localized Urticaria During Rituximab Infusion. Poster presented at: 2015 CalDerm Annual Meeting; 2015 September 18-20; Santa Barbara, CA.
• Shive, Melissa, Vandana Madkan, and Lauren Pinter-Brown. Localized Urticaria During Rituximab Infusion for the Treatment of Cutaneous Lymphoid Hyperplasia. Oral presentation at: 2015 Pacific Dermatology Annual Meeting; 2015 August 5-9; Park City, UT.
• Shive, Melissa. Fundamentals of Sun Protection. Oral presentation at: UCLA Grand Rounds; 2015 March 31; Los Angeles, CA.
• Shive, Melissa and Scott Worswick. Cutaneous manifestations of methymalonic acidemia. Oral presentation at: LA Metroderm January Meeting; 2015 January 20; Los Angeles, CA.
• Shive, Melissa, Eleni Linos, Timothy Berger, Mackenzie Wehner, Mary-Margaret Chren. Ambulatory Care Visits for Itch in the United States 1999-2009. Poster presented at: 71st Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology; 2013 March 1-5; Miami, FL.
• Shive, Melissa, Eleni Linos, Timothy Berger, Mackenzie Wehner, Mary-Margaret Chren. Ambulatory Care Visits for Pruritus in the United States 1999-2009. Oral Presentation at: Scratching the Surface: Frontier in Itch from Skin to Brain; 2012 September 28; St. Louis, MO.
• Collins J, Rao A, Lakshman T, Cantor J, Shive M, Nguyen B, Luo J, Friedberg J. A Photodynamic Therapy Generated Autologous Tumor Vaccine in an Orthotopic Murine Malignant Mesothelioma Model. Poster presented at: International Mesothelioma Interest Group: 8th Annual International Conference; 2006 October; Chicago, IL.
• Shive M, Martin S, Lask G, 2018. Dermal Nevi. In Alexiades M, ed. Cosmetic Dermatologic Surgery.
• Jagdeo J, Shive M, Hruza G, 2018. Laser and Light-Based Approaches to Hair Removal. In Kantor J, ed. Dermatologic Surgery.
• Blumenthal S and Shive M, 2008. Hong Kong and the United States: Shared Health Care Challenges and Opportunities. In Hong Kong on the Move: 10 Years as the HKSAR, ed. Carola McGiffert and James Tang, 158-178.
American Academy of Dermatology Clinical Guidelines Committee. Resident Member (2017-2018) Member (2019-2021) Deputy Chair (2021-2023)
Director of Digital Media, UC Irvine Department of Dermatology (2020 - Current)
Board Member, MCalDerm Board of Directors (2020-2024)
Legislative Committee Member & Young Dermatologist, CalDerm (2019-2021)
Service Committee, Women's Dermatologic Society (2019-2022)
Member, American Academy of Dermatology Appropriate Use Criteria Committee (2020-2022)
Member, American Society of Dermatologic Surgery Association State Affairs Workgroup (2019-2020)
Member, American Society of Dermatologic Surgery Association Policy Priorities Workgroup (2019-2020)
Member, American Society of Dermatologic Surgery Association Federal Affairs Workgroup (2019-2020)
Resident Member, Pacific Dermatologic Association Executive Committee (2016-2017)
Resident Board Member, CalDerm Board of Directors (2016-2017)
Resident Liaison, Women's Dermatologic Society (2015-2017)
Resident Representative, Housestaff Education Committee, Olive View-UCLA Medical Center (2013-2014)
Health Policy and Management Department Representative, Student Government, Harvard School of Public Health (2011-2012)
Organizer, TEDxChange, School of Public Health (2011-2012)
Vice President, Academic Affairs, Associated Students of the University of California, San Francisco (2009-2010)
Student Representative, Academic Senate, Committee on the Library (2009-2010)
School of Medicine Representative, Chancellor’s Endowment Fund Project Review Committee (2010)
Volunteer-Dermatology Clinic Coordinator, UCSF Students’ Homeless Clinic, San Francisco (2008-2010)
Founder and Co-President, Photography Interest Club (2008-2011)
UCSF Delegate, American Medical Association (2008-2009)
Medical Student Representative, Kaiser Teaching Awards Committee (2008-2011)
Elective Coordinator, How to Succeed in Public Policy Advocacy (2009)