Translational research correlated to head and neck pathology
Since 2011, Dr. Wang has been named one of the Best Doctors, by New York Magazine; one of the New York Super Doctors, by Castle Connolly; and Top Doctors of New York Times Magazine. Since 2015, Dr. Wang has been named one of the Super Doctors in Southern California, by Los Angeles Times Magazine.
Dr. Wang has many years of experience in clinico-pathological correlation of head and neck research including “Histologic assessment of risk in oral squamous cell carcinoma”. She has conducted several NIH funded translational research projects, including a). Mucosal melanoma of the head and neck; and b). Cohort study on oral squamous cell carcinoma involving multiple institutions.
Selected peer-reviewed articles:
1. Iskandar ME, Bonomo G, Avadhani V, Persky M, Lucido D, Wang B, Marti J. Evidence for
overestimation of the prevalence of malignancy in indeterminate thyroid nodules classified as
Bethesda category III. Surgery. 157:510-7, 2015, 2015
2. Su HK, Wang BY, Mannan ASR, Dewey EH, Alpert EH, Dos Reis LL, Urken ML. Very delayed
cervical lymph node metastases from hyalinizing clear cell carcinoma: Report of 2 cases. Head Neck.
DOI 10.1002/HED, 2014
3. Donaka D, Wang BY, Sun C-CJ. A study of Phox2b and Gata3 Expression in Tumors of Autonomic Nervous System Derivation. Am J Surg Pathol. 7:1236-41, 2013
4. Wei C, Sirikanjanapong S, DeLacure M, Martiniuk F, Wang BY. Primary Mucosal Melanoma Arising from the Eustachian Tube with CTLA-4, IL-17A, IL-17C, and IL-17E Up-Regulation. ENT J. 92:36-40, 2013
5. Liu HG, Kong MX, Yao Q, Wang SY, Shibata R, Yee H, Martiniuk F, Wang BY. Expression of Sox10 and c-kit in Sinonasal Mucosal Melanomas Arising in the Chinese Population. Head Neck Pathol. 4:401-408, 2012
6. Gupta S, Ajise O, Dultz L, Wang, B, Nonaka D, Ogilvie J, Heller KS, Patel KN. Follicular Variant of Papillary Thyroid Cancer - Encapsulated, Nonencapsulated, and Diffuse: Distinct Biologic and Clinical Entities. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 138:227-233, 2012
7. Salazar CR, Francois F, Li Y, Corby P, Hays R, Leung C, Bedi S, Segers S, Queiroz E, Sun J, Wang B, Ho H, Craig R, Cruz GD, Blaser MJ, Perez-Perez G, Hayes RB, Dasanayake A, Pei Z, Chen Y. Association between oral health and gastric precancerous lesions. Carcinogenesis. 33:399-403, 2012
8. Weinberg M, Wang BY. Oral Malignancies in two American Presidents: Case reports. General Dentistry. 59:492-7. 2011.
9. Brandwein-Gensler M, Smith R, Wang B, Penner C, Theilken A, Broughel D, Schiff B, Owen R, Smith J, Sarta, Hebert T, Nason R, Ramer M, DeLacure M, Hirsch D, Myssiorek D, Heller K, Prystowsky M, Schlecht N, Negassa A. Validation of the histologic risk model in a new cohort of patients with head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Am J Surg Pathol. 34:676-688, 2010.
10. Sun W, Song K, Zervos M, Pass H, Cangiarella J, Bizekis C, Crawford B, and Wang BY. The Diagnostic Value of Endobronchial Ultrasound-guided Needle Biopsy in Lung Cancer and Mediastinal Adenopathy. Diagnostic Cytopathology. 38:337-342, 2010.
11. Sirikanjanapong S, Lanson B, Amin M, Martiniuk F, Kamino H, Wang BY. Collision Tumor of Primary Laryngeal Mucosal Melanoma and Invasive Squamous Cell Carcinoma with IL-17A and CD70 Gene over Expression. Head Neck Pathol. 4:295-9, 2010
12. Wu HH, Zafar S, Huan Y, Yee H, Chiriboga L, Wang BY. Fascin Over Expression Is Associated with Dysplastic Changes in Sinonasal Inverted Papillomas – A Study of 47 Cases. Head Neck Pathol. 3:212-216, 2009.
13. Wang S, Yee H, Wen HY, Wang BY. Papillomas of the External Ear Canal: Report of Ten cases in Chinese Patients with HPV In Situ Hybridization. Head Neck Pathol. 3:207-211, 2009.
14. Morris L, Wen YH, Nonaka D, DeLacure D, Kutler DI, Huan YM, Wang BY. PNL-2 melanocytic marker in immunohistochemical evaluation of primary mucosal melanoma of the head and neck. Head Neck. 30:771-5, 2008.
15. Brandwein-Gensler M, Texiera MS, Hula JJ, Lewis C, Lee B, Romizky L, Genden E, Urken M, Wang BY. Oral squamous cell carcinoma: Histological risk assessment, but not margin status, is strongly predictive of local disease-free and overall survival. Am J Surg Pathol 29:167-178, 2005.
16. Chunhui Ye, Jim Qihui Zai, Beverly Y Wang. Updates on Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Application of Selected Head and Neck Malignancies. Review. Arch Pathol Lab Medicine. 1:1214-1235, 2017. PIMD: 28854343
17. Goshtasbi K, Abiri A, Abouzari M, Sahyouni R, Wang BY, Tajudeen BA, Hsu FPK, Cadena G, Kuan EC. Hyams grading as a predictor of metastasis and overall survival in esthesioneuroblastoma: a meta-analysis. Int Forum Allergy Rhinol. 9:1054-1062, 2019. Review. PMID: 31251848
18. Thomas Chong, M. Fernando Palma-Diaz, Craig Fisher, Dorina Gui, Nora L. Ostrzega, Geoffrey Sempa, Anthony E. Sisk, Mark Valasek, Beverly Y. Wang, Jonathan Zuckerman, Chris Khaxherian, Scott Binder and W. Dean Wallace. The California Telepathology Service: UCLA’s Experience in Deploying a Regional Digital Pathology Subspecialty Consultation Network. J Pathol Informatics. Epub, DOI: 10.4103/jpi.jpi_22_19, 2019. PMID: 31620310
19. Xinyu Ren, Yin Cheng , Shafei Wu, Xuan Zeng, Xiaohua Shi, Qing Ling, Zongzhu Li, Zhiyong Liang and Beverly Wang. Primary non-Hodgkin lymphoma of the tongue base: the clinicopathology of seven cases and evaluation of HPV and EBV status. Diagn Pathol. 1:15-30, 2020
20. Joshua Mo, Donald Tan, Xiaohui Zhao, Tjoson Tjoa, Beverly Wang. Anaplastic Transformation of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Mimicking a Plasmacytoma. Diagnostics. 10:29-6, 2020. PMID: 31936233
College of American Pathology, member and inspector