Associate Clinical Professor, Ophthalmology
School of Medicine
M.D., University of Southern California, 2008
M.S., Georgetown University, 2004, Physiology & Biophysics
Phone: (949) 824-6256
Fax: (949) 824-4015
University of California, Irvine
Gavin Herbert Eye Institute
850 Health Sciences Road
Mail Code: 4375
Irvine, CA 92697
Surgical Devices, Surgical Techniques, Retinal Detachments, Diabetic Retinopathy, Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD), Epiretinal Membranes, Macular Holes, Uveitis, Radiation Retinopathy
Board Certified in Ophthalmology
Mitul Mehta MD MS, is a board-certified ophthalmologist with fellowship training in medical and surgical diseases of the retina. He sees patients at the UCI Medical Center in Orange, CA and the Gavin Herbert Eye Institute in Irvine, CA.
A Southern California native, Dr. Mehta graduated from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), he then completed a Master of Science degree in Physiology & Biophysics at Georgetown University and earned his MD degree from the University of Southern California (USC). After completing his ophthalmology residency at the University of Cincinnati, he graduated from fellowship training in vitreoretinal surgery at the New York Eye & Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai.
In addition to the care of patients with vitreoretinal disorders, Dr. Mehta teaches medical students, residents, and fellows, and does research in surgical devices, techniques and vitreoretinal diseases such as diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration.
11. Aggarwal S, Ju D, Allen AM, Rose LA, Gill KP, Shen SA, Temco JE, Chang I, Faraj J, Brabender DE, Herbst de Cortina S, Marik-Reis O, Mehta MC. Regional differences in vision health: findings from Mwanza, Tanzania. Int Health. 2018 Nov 1;10(6):457-465. doi:10.1093/inthealth/ihy046.
12. Hamid MA, Mehta MC, Kupperman BD. Multimodal imaging in a patient with Prader-Willi Syndrome. Int J Retina Vitreous, 2018 Nov 30; 4:45. doi: 10.1186/s40942-018-0147-6. eCollection 2018.
13. Schechet SA, Pandya HK, Mehta MC. Social Media Collaboration of Retinal Physicians: A ‘Young Retina Forum’ Survey. European Journal of Ophthalmology, Feb. 2019, doi:10.1177/1120672119832186.
14. Shah C, Gabriel R, Kedhar S, Kupperman BD, Mehta MC. Subclinical Foveal Vasculopathy in Patients with Systemic Lupus Erythematosus using Optical Coherence Tomography-Angiography. J Vitreoretin Dis. 2019:247412641985075. doi:10.1177/2474126419850758. Published July, 2019.
15. Wang AL, Knight DK, Vu TT, Mehta MC. Retinitis Pigmentosa: Review of Current Treatment. Int Ophthalmol Clin. 2019 Winter;59(1):263-280. doi: 10.1097/IIO.0000000000000256.
16. Xie K, Kong C, Mehta MC. A Case of Melanoma-Associated Retinopathy, Uveitis, and Optic Neuritis Associated With Pembrolizumab, Managed With Topical , Intravitreal, and Intravenous Steroids. J Vitreoretin Dis. 2019; epub ahead of print. doi:10.1177/2474126419886154
17. Gabriel RS, Boisvert CJ, Mehta MC. (2020) Review of Vitreopapillary Traction Syndrome, Neuro-Ophthalmology, DOI: 10.1080/01658107.2020.1725063.
American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
American Society of Retina Specialists (ASRS)
American Association of Physicians of Indian origin (AAPI)
Fellowship in Vitreoretinal Surgery and Diseases
New York Eye & Ear Infirmary of Mount Sinai
Gavin Herbert Eye Institute