Associate Clinical Professor, Family Medicine
School of Medicine
M.D., College of Human Medicine, Michigan, 2006
Family Medicine Residency, UC Irvine, 2009
B.S., UC Irvine, 1999
Fellowship, UCLA, 2013, PCMH & Faculty Development
Phone: (714) 456-7002
University of California, Irvine
FHC Anaheim, Route 135
Mail Code: 2975
Irvine, CA 92697
Covid-19, Physician experiences and responses; Medical student career choice;
1. AAFP/CAFP FMIG funding Initiative. Advisor. Grant $600. 12/2015
2. Hooder for James Suchy at UCI SOM Graduation. June 2015
3. Medical Humanities Initiative Grant: $500. Feb 2015
4. AAFP Recognition for top 10 schools graduating students going into FM. Advisor. 4/2015
5. Judge, Selected by AAFP to serve on a panel for the FMIG National Program of Excellence. May 2014
6. AIME Educational Innovation Support Grant. 2014-15
7. Winner, Faculty iPad Innovation Pilot Proposal: Enhancing Medical Student Teaching by Incorporating Medical Humanities Using the iPad. 2014
8. Steven Thompson Loan Repayment Award. 2013-2016
9. Award, Cal-Optima Circle of Care Group Practice. 2012
10. AAFP and STFM Scholarship for representing UCI FMIG at National Conferences. 2011-2012
11. STFM Resident as Teacher of the year Award 2009
12. Resident Scholar: Top score on in-service examination 2009
13. FQHC Champion: Resident seeing the most patients in 2009
14. William B. Weil Scholarship, 2006
15. MSU-CHM Bernard Smookler’s Scholarship for academic excellence, 2004 & 2005
16. Invitee to Disney’s Community Service Award, 2001
17. Tenet Health System Ethics Photo Award, 2nd place winner, 2001
18. Excellence in Research Award, UC Irvine, 1999
Investigator and co-author – Prevalence of Advanced Directives in patients younger than 65. 2007-current
Chart reviewer and co-author – Pulmonary Hypertension and Obstructive Sleep Apnea, MSU, 2005-2006
Research Subject – Student attitude toward working with disadvantaged population. MSU, 2004-2006
Student Investigator / Main Author – TGF BII’s role in acute pancreatitis. Paper published in Journal of Undergraduate Research 1999. Poster Presentation at UC Irvine. 1997-1999
Dr. Nguyen practices full spectrum family medicine and is currently involved in medical student and resident training. He is the advisor for the Family Medicine Interest Group. His interests also include medical humanities, pediatric and adolescent care, Non-opioid approach to chronic pain, and faculty mentoring.
Journal article, other. Co-Author:
Acad Med. 2015 Dec;90(12):1633. doi: 10.1097/01.ACM.0000473765.96210.72.
Medicine and the Arts. "Anatomy Lesson" by Jack Coulehan. Commentary.
Shapiro J1, Nguyen T.
Journal article, peer reviewed, online publication, Lead Author:
J Asthma. 2015;52(10):1031-7. doi: 10.3109/02770903.2015.1056348. Epub 2015 Sep 14.
The prevalence of asthma risk and contributing factors in underserved Vietnamese children in Orange County, CA.
Nguyen T, Kilgore D, Morphew T, Tran J, Berg J, Galant S.
1. Digital Photography: “Reflections on Aging” and “Center of Attention” in Plexus, March 2010.
(UC Irvine SOM Journal of the Arts and Humanities)
Alpha Gamma Sigma Honor Society Permanent Member, 1997
Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society Induction, 1999
Orange County Medical Association, 2006-Current
California Medical Association, 2006-Current
UCI Inaugural Member: Academy for Innovation in Medical Educ