Colon cancer screening, Risk assessment for colon cancer
2019 Super Doctors, Southern California Super Doctors
1. Goldschmeidt M, Karnes WE, Feldman M. Relationship between Helicobacter pylori (HP) and gastric acid secretion/serum gastrin concentrations in healthy humans. Gastroenterology 98(5):A50, 1990.
2. Chen MC, Martin M, Wu V, Karnes W, Kim R, Walsh J, Soll AH. Autocrine control of oxyntic stem cell growth by TGF-alpha. Gastroenterology 98(5):A406, 1990.
3. Craig PM, Karnes WE, Territo MC, Walsh JH. Helicobacter pylori secretes a chemotactic factor for monocytes and neutrophils. Gastroenterology 98(5):A33, 1990.
4. Karnes WE, Kim RS, Wu SV, Martin MG, Cuttitta F, Gazdar AF, Mendelsohn J, Walsh JH. EGF receptor mediates autocrine growth of human colon cancer cell line SNU-C1. Gastroenterology 98(5):A502, 1990.
5. Karnes WE, Matin A, Olson CE, Walsh JH. Ammonium reduces ability of canine chief cell monolayers to maintain high transepithelial resistance at low apical pH. Gastroenterology 100(5):A588, 1991.
6. Anderson BD, Karnes WE, Pearson RK. Conjugated bile acids stimulate proliferation of human colon carcinoma cells in vitro. The American Society for Cell Biology, 1992.
7. Anderson BD, Karnes WE, Pearson RK. Bile acids regulate the growth rate of transformed colonic epithelium and increase TGF-a mRNA levels in vitro. Gastroenterology 104(4):A384, 1993.
8. Kuwada SK, Karnes WE Jr, Maihle NJ. A 36-kilodalton phosphoprotein binds to the carboxy-terminal domain of the c-erbB1 oncogene product. Gastroenterology 104(4):A418, 1993.
9. Karnes WE Jr, Adelsman MA, Kuwada SK, Maihle NJ. An hsp70 protein binds to bacterially expressed avian c-erbB1 carboxyl-terminal fusion proteins. Gastroenterology 104(4):A414, 1993.
10. Rand A, Boardman LA, Thibodeau SN, Cunningham J, Karnes WE Jr. A unique p53 mutant behaves as a dominant “hot spot” mutant in an autonomous colon cancer cell line. Gastroenterology 108(4):A527, 1995.
11. Rand A, Boardman LA, Thibodeau SN, Cunningham J, Kovach JS, Karnes WE Jr. A unique p53 mutant in an autonomous colon cancer cell line. Presented at the 86th Annual Meeting of the American Association for Cancer Research, 1995.
12. Karnes WE Jr, Banoub R, Rand A, Glenn KS. Constitutive proliferative signals mediated through PKC via p21ras-dependent and -independent pathways in autonomous colon cancer cell lines. Proc Ann Meet Am Assoc Cancer Res 37:A368, 1996.
13. Karnes WE Jr, Rand A. Role of distinct PKC isoforms in apoptosis and proliferation of colon cancer cell lines. Gastroenterology 110:A540, 1996.
14. Karnes WE Jr, Banoub R, Glenn K, Rand A. PKC and p21ras-mediated proliferative signaling in autonomous EGFR ligand-independent colon cancer cells. Gastroenterology 110:A540, 1996.
15. Karnes WE Jr, Rand A. PKC agonists stimulate proliferation of colon cancer cells independently of enhanced TGF-? release. Gastroenterology 110:A539, 1996.
16. Karnes WE Jr, Glenn K, Rand A, Banoub R. P53 and Waf-1-independent apoptosis induced by selective EGFR kinase inhibitors is associated with proteolysis of Bcl-2 and Cdc-2. Gastroenterology 110:A539, 1996.
17. Limburg PJ, Ahlquist DA, Karnes WE Jr, Roche PC, Klee GG. Immunomagnetic isolation of malignant colonocytes from stool: feasibility study in a model system. Gastroenterology 110:A551, 1996.
18. Sorbi D, Karnes WE Jr. Recurrent paraganglioma: an unusual cause of abdominal pain. Am J Gastroenterol 92:1732, 1997.
19. Boardman LA, Batts KP, Rand A, Ahlquist DA, Zaheer S, Pemberton J, Karnes WE Jr. Relevance of occult nodal metastases by immunodetection in rectal cancer. Gastroenterology 112:A539, 1997.
20. Weller SG, Klein IK, Graves-Deal R, Bogatcheva G, Coffey R Jr, Karnes WE Jr. PKC agonists stimulate mitogenesis of SNU-C4 colon cancer cells by augmenting autocrine stimulation of epidermal growth factor receptor. Gastroenterology 114:A703(G2906), 1998.
21. Weller SG, Klein IK, Karnes WE Jr. Distinct PKC isoforms mediate proliferative and apoptotic effects of phorbol esters in human colon cancer cell lines. Gastroenterology 114:A702(G2905), 1998.
22. Timmons LJ, Carlson EC, King JE, Lindor NM, Ahlquist DA, Treder CE, Karnes WE Jr. A computerized colorectal cancer registry and risk assessment tool. Gastroenterology 114:A689(G2848), 1998.
23. Klein IK, Ritland SR, Ziesmer SC, Burgart LJ, Roche PC, Gendler SJ, Karnes WE Jr. Colorectal Neoplasia Group. PKC isoforms in intestinal mucosa and adenomas of APCMIN mice. Gastroenterology 114:A626(G2576), 1998.
24. Kim KB, Herrington JJ, Devens ME, Grabau Cm, Klee GG, Ahlquist DA, Karnes WE Jr. Prospective evaluation of urinary transforming growth factor alpha levels for predicting clinical important colorectal neoplasia. Gastroenterology 114:A624(G2566), 1998.
25. Karnes WE Jr, Dubois RN Jr, Shattuck-Brand R, Burgart LJ, Tester DJ, Thibodeau SN. Reduced COX-2 protein expression in human colorectal cancer exhibiting defective mismatch repair. Gastroenterology 114:A618(G2541), 1998.
26. Weller S, Penington R, Karnes WE Jr. Apoptosis induced by phorbol ester in SNU-C4 colon cancer cells is associated with, but progresses independently of caspase-3-mediated cleavage of PKC-delta. Gastroenterology 116:G1898, 1999.
27. Ritland SR, Gendler, Burgart LJ, Fry DW, Nelson JM, Bridges Aj, Andress L, Karnes WE Jr. Inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor fails to suppress adenoma formation in APCMIN mice but induces flat hyperproliferative duodenal lesions. Gastroenterology 116:G1897, 1999.
28. Penington RC, Weller SG, Karnes WE Jr. Protein kinase C-mediated MAPK activation is mediated through autocrine EGFR activationin SNU-C4 colon cancer cells. Gastroenterology 116:G1896, 1999.
29. Itzkowitz SH, Shattuck R, Thibodeau S, Karnes WEJr, Burgart L. Relationship between siayl-tn (STN) antigen expression and microsatellite instability (MSI) in sporadic colorectal cancers (SCC). Gastroenterology 116:G1870, 1999.
30. Chinery R, Morrow J, Lamps LW, Green DR, Karnes WEJr. Potential role of cyclooxygenase-2 products on tumor immune escape. Gastroenterology 116:G1705, 1999.
31. Boardman L, Rand A, Batts KP, McDonnell SK, Peterson BJ, Zaheer S, Pemberton JH, Karnes WE Jr. P53 overexpression and K-ras mutation in early stage rectal cancer do not correlate with recurrence. Gastroenterology 116:G1660, 1999.
32. Desai DS, Ritland SH, Klein I, Karnes WE Jr. Protein kinase C-alpha is a target of ?-catenin/Tcf-4 transcriptional regulation. Gastroenterology 188:A878, 2000.
33. Penington RC, Weller SG, Karnes WE Jr. Protein kinase C signals mitogenesis and ERK activation through metalloproteinase-dependent release of autocrine TGF-? in SNU-C4 colon cancer cells. Gastroenterology 188:A538, 2000.
34. Weller SG, Penington RC, Karnes WE Jr. PMA Induces apoptosis in the SNU-C4 colon cancer cells through caspase-9 independently of caspase-3 and -8. Gastroenterology 188:A542, 2000.
35. Desai DS, Karnes WE Jr?-catenin and retinoic acid receptor beta. Gastroenterology 188:A878, 2000.
36. Chinery R, Watson AJ, Karnes WE Jr. Evidence for Fas ligand-mediated tumor immune evasion in a murine model of colorectal carcinogenesis. Gastroenterology 188:A530, 2000.
37. Chinery R, Lund PE, Reyes DA, Bentley MD, Karnes WE Jr, Ritman EL. Applications of micro-CT imaging to study tumor neovascularization in murine models of colon cancer. Gastroenterology 188:A765, 2000.
38. Farid Jalali, Argyrios Ziogas, Jason A. Zell, Michael J. Stamos, Hoda Anton-Culver, William E. Karnes. Effect of Delay in Surgical Treatment of Colon Cancer on Survival. Su1789, DDW 2014
39. Sarah L. Flores, Argyrios Ziogas, Gregory Albers, Hoda Anton-Culver, William E. Karnes. Variable Recognition of Sessile Serrated Adenomas Among Colonoscopists and Pathologists - a Compounded Roadblock to Reducing Interval Colon Cancers 742 DDW 2014 (Oral)
40. Matthew A. Chin, Chien-Lin Chen, William E. Karnes. Improved polyp detection among high risk patients with endocuff. DDW 2015
41. Jasleen Grewal, Matthew Chin, Chien-Lin Chen, Williams Karnes. Endocuff-assisted colonoscopy improves sessile serrated adenoma detection rate: A single academic center observational study. ACG 2015
42. Matthew Chin, Williams Karnes, M. Mazen Jamal, Jason Samarasena, Robert Lee, John Lee, C. Gregory Albers, Matthew Bechtold, MD, Douglas Nguyen. Optimizing Adenoma Detection Rate Through the Use of Endocuff: A Meta-analysis. ACG 2015
43. Matthew Chin, Jasleen Grewal, Chien-Lin Chen, Williams Karnes. Endocuff®-assisted Colonoscopy: A Single-center Experience with an Average-risk, Asymptomatic Population ACG 2015
44. Jason B. Samarasena, Marielle Reataza, Nathan Kwak, Joshua Steichen, Gregory Albers, Nimisha K. Parekh, William Karnes, Douglas Nguyen, Robert H. Lee, M. Mazen Jamal. Single Day Low Residue Diet Prior to Colonoscopy Shows Improved Tolerance and Bowel Preparation Quality Over Clear Liquid Diet: Interim Results From a U.S. Multicenter Randomized Controlled Trial. DDW 2016 (Oral)
45. Anish Patel, Jasleen K. Grewal, William E. Karnes. Endocuff Improves GI Fellows Colonoscopy Performance (PDR, ADR and number of polyps/colonoscopy) Without Affecting Time of Procedure. DDW 2016
46. Jasleen K. Grewal, Gregory Albers, William E. Karnes. Endocuff-Assisted Colonoscopy Increases Detection of Sessile Serrated Adenomas in Middle-Aged Women. DDW 2016 (Oral)
47. Jasleen K. Grewal, Jacqueline Kulwin, Argyrios Ziogas, Jason Zell, William E. Karnes. Increased Detection of Precancerous Colorectal Polyps in Young Obese Males. DDW 2016
48. Shawn Kaye, Mohit Mittal, Katherine Kim, Williams Karnes. Endocuff increases sessile serrated adenoma detection rates in the right colon. DDW 2016
49. Daniel M. Kim, Anish H Patel, Robert Lee, William E. Karnes. The Awake Patient: Unsedated colonoscopies are associated with higher adenoma detection rates. ACG 2016
50. Talal Alkayali, Jason Samarasena, William Karnes. NICE&Easy way to ignore rectal polyps? ACG 2016
51. J. Grewal, A. Patel, J. Kulwin, W. Karnes. Increased Detection of Precancerous Colorectal Polyps in Young Obese Patients. ACG 2016
52. Anish Patel and William Karnes. Endocuff Improves Polyp Detection by GI Fellows
Across Multiple Stages of Training. ACG 2016
53. Karnes, William E.; Alkayali, Talal; Mittal, Mohit; Patel, Anish; Kim, Junhee; Chang, Kenneth J.; Ninh, Andrew; Urban, Gregor; Baldi, Pierre. Automated polyp detection using deep learning: leveling the field. DDW 2017
54. Kulwin, Jacqueline; Grewal, Jasleen; Karnes, William E. Colonoscopy Quality Measures of GI Fellow Colonoscopy Performance by Quarter of Training. DDW 2017
55. Grewal, Jasleen; Patel, Anish; Ali, Mohammed F.; Karnes, William E. Size, Serration, and Specific Solutions: Details on the Successes of Split Bowel Prep. DDW 2017 (Oral)
56. Ali, Mohammed F.; Patel, Anish; Grewal, Jasleen; Mittal, Mohit, William E. Karnes. Precancerous polyp detection rates among Asian males undergoing screening colonoscopy. DDW 2017
57. Anish H. Patel, Jasleen K. Grewal, Mohammed F. Ali, William E. Karnes. Underwater colonoscopy is associated with higher detection rates of proximal sessile serrated polyps. DDW 2017 (Oral Plenary)
58. Allen R. Yu, Jason B. Samarasena, Talal Alkayali, Grace J. Lee, William E. Karnes. Usability of AmplifEYE- and Endocuff Vision-Assisted Colonoscopy Compared to Conventional Colonoscopy during Colonoscopy. ACG 2017
59. Talal Alkayali, Allen R. Yu, Jason B. Samarasena, Grace J. Lee, William E. Karnes. First Side-by-Side Comparison of AmplifEYE, Endocuff Vision and Conventional Colonoscopy for PDR, ADR and SDR. ACG 2017
60. Meredith Clary, Lauren C. Dedecker, William E. Karnes. Measuring Colonoscopy Value Without Penalizing Polyp Detection. ACG 2017 (Oral)
61. William E. Karnes, Andrew Ninh, Gregor Urban, Pierre Baldi. Adenoma Detection Through Deep Learning. ACG 2017
62. Mohammed F. Ali, Anish H. Patel, Jasleen Grewal, Daniel M. Kim, William E. Karnes. Higher Rates of Proximal Sessile Serrated Adenomas Among Whites Compared to Asians, Hispanics and Blacks. ACG 2017
63. Daniel Kim, William Karnes. The Obese Patient: Effects of Split-dose Preparation During Colonoscopy on Adenoma Detection Rate. ACG 2017
64. Grace Lee, William Karnes. Should Sessile Serrated Polyp Detection Rate be Added as a Marker for Colonoscopy Quality? ACG 2017
65. Anish Patel, Jasleen Grewal, Daniel Kim, Mohammed Ali, William Karnes. Clean and Clear Colonoscopy: Underwater Insertion Techniques Associated with Higher Rates of Adequate Bowel Prep. ACG 2017
66. Mohammed F. Ali, Anish H. Patel, Jasleen Grewal, Daniel M. Kim, William E. Karnes. Turning the Tides of Training: Underwater Colonoscopy is Associated with Higher Polyp, Adenoma and Sessile Serrated Adenoma Detection Rates Among Gastroenterology Fellows. ACG 2017
67. Jasleen K. Grewal, Anish H. Patel, Daniel M. Kim, Mohammed F. Ali, William E. Karnes. From Mississippi to Caribbean: The Additive Benefit of Underwater Colonoscopy to Split Dose Bowel Prep. ACG 2017
68. Jasleen K. Grewal, Anish H. Patel, Mohammed F. Ali, Daniel M. Kim, William E. Karnes. No Polyp Left Behind: Endocuff Significantly Improves Polyp Detection in Underwater Colonoscopy. ACG 2017
1. Karnes WE Jr, Jabobs R. ras gene mutations in colorectal cancer. Gastroenterology 93(6):1440-1441, 1987.
2. Karnes WE Jr, Maxwell V, Sytnik B, Chew P, Walsh JH. Prolonged inhibition of meal-stimulated acid secretion and gastrin release following single subcutaneous administration of octreotide (SMS 201-995) in man. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 3:527-538, 1989.
3. Karnes WE Jr, Walsh JH. Perspectives. In: Campylobacter Pylori in Gastritis and Peptic Disease, M Blaser, ed. Igaku-Shoin Medical Publishers, New York, 1989, pp 241-9.
4. Karnes WE Jr, Guth P. C. pylori: innocent until proven guilty. In: Debates in Gastroenterology, Volume 3. G Gitnik, ed. Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, 1990, pp 321-334.
5. Karnes WE Jr, Walsh JH. The gastrin hypothesis. Implications for selection of drug therapy. J Clin Gastroenterol 12 (Suppl. 2):S7-S12, 1990.
6. Karnes WE Jr, Berlin RG, Maxwell V, Sytnik B, Root JK, Walsh JH. Prolonged inhibition of acid secretion causes hypergastrinemia without altering pH inhibition of gastrin release in humans. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 4:443-456, 1990.
7. Karnes WE Jr, Cuttitta F, Walker A., Walsh JH. Autocrine growth factors and solid tumor malignancy. West J Med 155:152-163, 1991.
8. Karnes WE Jr, Samloff IM, Siurala M, Kekki M, Sipponen P, Kim SWR, Walsh JH. Positive serum antibody and negative tissue staining for Helicobacter pylori infection in subjects with atrophic body gastritis. Gastroenterology 101:167-174, 1991.
9. Karnes WE Jr, Ohning GV, Sytnik B, Kim SWR, Walsh JH. Elevated
meal-stimulated gastrin release in subjects with Helicobacter pylori infection: Reversal by low intragastric pH. Reviews of Infectious Diseases 13 (Suppl. 8):S665-S670, 1991.
10. Goldschmiedt M, Barnett CC, Schwarz BE, Karnes WE Jr, Redfern JS, Feldman M. Effects of aging on gastric acid secretion and on serum pepsinogen concentrations in healthy men and women: Relationships with serum gastrin and Helicobacter pylori infection. Gastroenterology 101:1-9, 1991.
11. Walsh JH, Karnes WE Jr, Cuttitta F, Walker A. Autocrine growth factors and solid tumor malignancy. West J Med 155:152-163, 1991.
12. Craig PM, Territo MC, Karnes WE Jr, Walsh JH. Helicobacter pylori secretes a chemotactic factor for monocytes and neutrophils. Gut 33:1020-1023, 1992.
13. Karnes WE Jr, Walsh JH, Wu SV, Kim RS, Martin MG, Wong HC, Mendelsohn J, Gazdar AF, Cuttitta F. Autonomous proliferation of colon cancer cells that coexpress transforming growth factor-a and its receptor. Gastroenterology 102:474-85, 1992.
14. Chen MC, Lee A, Karnes WE Jr, Avedian D, Sorvillo J, Soll AH. Paracrine control of gastric epithelial cell growth in culture by transforming growth factor-a. Am J Physiol 264(2 Pt 1):G390-6, 1993.
15. Karnes WE Jr. Epidemiology and etiology of sporadic colorectal adenocarcinoma. Curr Opin Gastroenterol 10:19-26, 1994.
16. Karnes WE Jr. Growth factors and gastrointestinal malignancies. In: Gut Peptides, JH Walsh G Dockrey, eds. Raven Press, New York, 1994, pp 825-850.
17. Karnes WE Jr. Epidermal growth factor and transforming growth factor alpha. In: Gut Peptides, JH Walsh, G Dockrey, eds. Raven Press, New York, 1994, pp 553-586.
18. Boardman LA, Karnes WE Jr. Src family of tyrosine kinases: A roles of c-yes in colon carcinogenesis. Gastroenterology 108:291-294, 1995.
19. Boardman LA, Karnes WE Jr. Epidemiology and etiology of colorectal cancer. In: Surgery of the Colon and Rectum, RJ Nicholls, RR Dozois, eds. VK Churchill-Liviningston. 1996
20. Rand A, Glenn KS, Alvares CP, White MB, Thibodeau SN, Karnes WEJr (senior author). P53 functional loss in a colon cancer cell line with two missense mutations (218leu and 248 trp) on separate alleles. Cancer Letters 98:183-191, 1996.
21. Karnes WE Jr, Boardman LA. Colorectal Neoplasms - Epidemiology & Etiology. In: Surgery of the Colon and Rectum. RJ Nicholls and RR Dozois, eds. Churchill Livingston, London, UK. 1997.
22. Karnes WE Jr, Weller SG, Adjei PN, Kottke TJ, Glenn KS, Gores GJ, Kaufmann SH. Inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor kinase induces protease-dependent apoptosis in human colon cancer cells. Gastroenterology 114:930-939, 1998.
23. Karnes WE Jr, Shattuck-Brandt R, Burgart LJ, et al. Reduced COX-2 protein in colorectal cancer with defective mismatch repair. Cancer Res 58:5473-5477, 1998.
24. Weller SG, Klein IK, Karnes WE Jr (senior author). Distinct protein kinase C isozymes signal mitogenesis and apoptosis in human colon cancer cells. Gastroenterology 117:848-857, 1999.
25. Desai DS, Hirai SI, Karnes WE Jr, Niles RM, Ohno S. Cloning and characterization of the murine PKC a promoter: identification of a retinoic acid response element. Biochem Biophys Res Comm 263:28-34, 1999.
26. Karnes WE Jr. Implications of low COX-2 expression in colorectal neoplasms with
defective DNA mismatch repair. J Cell Biochem 77 (Suppl 34):23-27, 2000.
27. Klein IK, Ritland SR, Burgart LJ, Ziesmer SC, Roch, PC, Gendler SJ, Karnes WE Jr (senior author). Adenoma-specific alterations of protein kinase C isozyme expression in ApcMIN mice. Cancer Res. 60(8):2077-80, 2000.
28. Ritland SR, Gendler SJ, Burgart LJ, Fry DW, Nelson JM, Bridges AJ, Andress L, Karnes WE Jr (senior author). Inhibition of epidermal growth factor receptor kinase fails to suppress adenoma formation in ApcMIN mice but induces duodenal injury. Cancer Res. 60(17):4678-4681, 2000.
29. Lindor NM, Dozois R, Nelson H, Wolff B, King J, Boardman L, Wilson M, Greene MH, Karnes W, Mesa R, Welch T, Edmonson J, Limburg P. Desmoid tumors in familial adenomatous polyposis: a pilot project evaluating efficacy of treatment with pirfenidone. Am J Gastroenterol. 98(8):1868-74, 2003.
30. Tsang, WY, Ziogas A, Lin BS, Seery TE, Karnes W, Stamos MJ, Zell JA. Role of Primary Tumor Resection Among Chemotherapy-Treated Patients with Synchronous Stage IV Colorectal Cancer: A Survival Analysis. J Gastrointest Surg. 18(3):592-8, 2014
31. Chin M, Karnes W, Jamal MM, Lee JG, Lee R, Samarasena J, Bechtold ML, Nguyen DL. Use of the Endocuff during routine colonoscopy examination improves adenoma detection: A meta-analysis. World J Gastroenterol. 2016 Nov 21;22(43):9642-9649
32. Nangia, CS, Belmonte, J, Tsang, W. Hoang, H,X, Carmichael, J, Kuo, J, Karnes, W, Taylor, TH, Zell, JA. Estimated Risks for Second Primary Cancers in the Field of Radiation Therapy Delivered to Loco-Regional Stage Rectal Cancers. Submitted
33. Farid Jalali, Argyrios Ziogas, Jason A. Zell, Michael J. Stamos, Hoda Anton-Culver, William E. Karnes Effect of Delay in Surgical Treatment of Colon Cancer on Survival. In Preparation.
34. Jasleen K. Grewal, Jacqueline Kulwin, Argyrios Ziogas, William E. Karnes. Increased Detection of Precancerous Colorectal Polyps in Young Obese Males. In Preparation
35. Shah, K, Chin, M, Argyrios Z, Flores, S, Albers, G, Lee, J, Samarasena, J, Parekh, N, Chang, K, William E. Karnes. Variable Recognition of Sessile Serrated Adenomas Among Colonoscopists and Pathologists - a Compounded Roadblock to Reducing Interval Colon Cancers. In Preparation
Associate Professor of Medicine
Mayo Clinic 1992—2001
Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN 1990—1992
Private Practice, Gastroenterology