The use of ultrasound performed at the point of care by a clinician throughout all phases of medical education and training
2002 UCI EM Residency: Resident Advocate of the Year Award
2003 AAEM Young Educator Award
2004 UCI Flying Samaritans Faculty Advisor Award
2007 Medical Student Faculty Teaching Award
2009 Emergency Ultrasound Teaching Award – York Hospital
2009 Fabien Vickrey, MD Memorial Award in Emergency Medicine
2009 EMIG Student Symposium Contribution Award
2009 ARiSE award for Academic Excellence – UCI Medical Center
2009 Outstanding Faculty Service Award – UCI School of Medicine
2010 Outstanding Faculty Service Award – UCI School of Medicine
2010 Medical Student Faculty Teaching Award
2010 Excellence in Teaching Award – UCI School of Medicine
2011 Emergency Ultrasound Educator of the Year Award
2012 Excellence in Teaching Award – UCI School of Medicine
2014 J. Edward Berk Award – Assoc. of Volunteer Clin. Faculty
2014 Excellence in Teaching Award – UC Irvine School of Medicine
2015 Top 25 Professor of Sonography Award
2016 AIUM Peter Arger Award for Excellence in Medical Student Ultrasound Education
2016 SAEM Academy of Emergency Ultrasound “Best Cross-Sectional Study” Award
2017 SAEM Academy of Emergency Ultrasound “Best Case-Control Study” Award
2018 SAEM Academy of Emergency Ultrasound “Best Prospective Study” Award
2018 SAEM Academy of Emergency Ultrasound “Most Prolific Researcher” Award
2018 Society of Ultrasound in Medical Education “The Presidential Recognition Award” for outstanding contribution and service to ultrasound education
1. Gaspari RJ, Fox JC, Sierzenski P. Emergency Ultrasound: Principles and Practice. Mosby, 2006. 272 pages. (hardback)
2. Fox JC. Clinical Emergency Radiology. Cambridge University Press. 2008. 658 pages, 2058 images. (hardback)
3. Fox JC. Atlas of Emergency Ultrasound. Cambridge University Press. 2011. 208 pages, 800 images. ISBN 978-0-521-19168-5 (hardback)
4. Fox JC. Clinical Emergency Radiology 2nd Edition. Cambridge University Press. 2017. 650 pages, 2200 images. (hardback)
Journal Articles, peer reviewed:
1. Langdorf MI, Fox, JC, Marwah, RS, Montague, BJ, Hart, M. “Physician versus Computer Knowledge of Potential Drug Interactions in the Emergency Department.” Academic Emergency Medicine. November 2000; 7: 1321-1329
2. Blaivas M, Fox JC “Outcome in Cardiac Arrest Patients Found to have Cardiac Standstill on Bedside Emergency Department Echocardiogram.” Academic Emergency Medicine. June 2001; 8: 616-621
3. Langdorf MI, Rudkin SE, Dellota K, Fox JC, Munden S: “Decision Rule and Utility of Routine Toxicology Screening of Trauma Patients” European Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2002, 9, 115-121.
4. Lee FM, Fox JC: “Diagnosis of Hip Effusion with Bedside Ultrasound in the Emergency Department”; The California Journal of Emergency Medicine. Vol4: no3. Jul-Oct 2003
5. Lambert MJ, Fox JC, Chhiv N: “Cyanotic Congential Heart Disease. Emergency Department Diagnosis by Limited Bedside Echocardiography”; Topics in Emergency Medicine. July 2004. Vol 26(3);249-253
6. Kendal JL, Blaivas M, Hoffenberg S, Fox JC: “History of Emergency Ultrasound”; Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2004 Aug;23(8) 1130-3
7. Kahn A, Kahn AL, Corinaldi C, Benitez F, Fox JC: “Retinal Detachment Diagnosed by Bedside Ultrasound in the Emergency Department”; The California Journal of Emergency Medicine. Vol6:no3. Sept 2005
8. Vaca FE, Fox JC, Mai D, Anderson CL, Kwon KT, Weichmann WF: “Skatepark-related Injuries in a Southern California Skatepark and their Associated Short-term Disability and healthcare Utilization”; Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine. 2005 15(3): 142-147.
9. Squire B, Fox JC, Anderson C: “ABSCESS: Applied Bedside Sonography for Convenient Evaluation of Superficial Soft Tissue Infections”; Academic Emergency Medicine. 2005 12(7): 601-606.
10. Boysen M, Fox JC, “Pediatric Crash Injury Research: The Challenge in Obtaining Informed Consent”; Topics in Emergency Medicine. February 2006
11. Johnson S, Fox JC, Koenig K, “Diagnosis of Ovarian Torsion in a Hemodynamically Unstable Pediatric Patient by Bedside Ultrasound in the ED”. The American Journal of Emergency Medicine, July, 2006
12. Hodgson D, Lotfipour S, Fox JC “Vaginal Bleeding Before 20 Weeks Gestation Due to Placental Abruption Leading to DIC and Fetal Loss after Appearing to Satisfy Criteria for Routine Threatened Abortion: A Case Report and Brief Review of the Literature”; (2007) Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol 32, Issue 4; pp387-392.
13. Fox JC, , Hunt M, Zlidenny A Oshita M, Barajas G, Langdorf, M. (2007) “A Retrospective Analysis of the Use of Bedside Ultrasound in the Diagnosis of Acute Appendicitis”; Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol. 8: No. 2, Article 2.
14. Fox JC, Cusick, S, Scruggs W, Henson T, Anderson C, Barajas G, Zlidenny A, Langdorf, M McDonough, J,: “Educational Assessment of Medical Student Rotation in Emergency Ultrasound” (2007), Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol 8: No. 3, Article 5.
15. Gharahbaghian L, Brosnan D, Fox JC, Stratton S, Langdorf, M: “New Onset Thyrotoxicosis Presenting as Vomiting, Abdominal Pain and Transaminitis in the Emergency Department” (2007), Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol 8: No. 3, Article 9.
16. Vaca F, Mai D, Anderson CL, Fox JC, Ferrarella N: “Associated Economic Impact of Skatepark-Related Injuries in Southern California” (2007). Clinical Medicine and Research Oct; 5(3):149-54.
17. Scruggs W. Fox JC, Potts B, Zlidenny A, Potts B, McDonough J, Anderson C, Larson J, Barajas, G, Langdorf, M: “Accuracy of ED Bedside Ultrasound for Identification of Gallstones: A Retrospective Analysis of 575 Studies” (2008), Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol. 9: No.1, Article 1.
18. Bahner D, Blaivas M, Cohen H, Fox JC, Hoffenberg S, Kendall J, Langer J, McGahan JP, Sierzenski P, Tayal VS: “AIUM Practice Guideline for the Performance of the Focused Assessment with Sonography for Trauma (FAST Examination)” (2008), Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. Feb:27(2): 313-8.
19. Fox JC, Solley M, Anderson CL, Zlidenny A, Lahham S, Maasumi K: “Prospective evaluation of emergency physician performed bedside ultrasound to detect acute appendicitis” (2008), European Journal of Emergency Medicine. April;15(2):80-85
20. Kahn A, Kahn, AL, Fox JC, Langdorf, MI, “Subchorionic Hemorrhage Appearing as Twin Gestation on Endovaginal Ultrasound, “Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 9(2):115-7, 2008
21. Fox JC, Irwin Z: “Emergency and Critical Care Imaging” (2008), Emergency Medicine Clinics of North America. V26:787-812
22. Doniger SJ, Ishimine P, Fox JC, Kanegaye J, “Randomized Controlled Trial of Ultrasound-Guided Peripheral Intravenous Catheter Placement Versus Traditional Techniques in Difficult-Access Pediatric Patients”, Pediatric Emergency Care. Volume 25, Number 3, March 2009
23. Summers S, Habicht M, Fox JC, Niknafs N, “Adult Colo-colonic Intussusception Incidently Detected by Emergency Bedside Gallbladder Sonography”, Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol X, No X, 2010
24. Smith CJ, Fox JC, Lotfipour SH: “CD-ROM Review of EM ultrasound. Fundamentals for emergency and acute care physicians”. Journal of Emergency Medicine. Vol 38 No 1, pp106-107; 2010.
25. Summers S, Scruggs W, Menchine M, Lahham S, Anderson C, Amr O, Lotfipour S, Cusick S, Fox JC: “A Prospective Evaluation of Emergency Department Bedside Ultrasonography for the Detection of Acute Cholecystitis”, Annals of Emergency Medicine. 2010 Aug;56(2):123-5
26. Noble V, Blaivas M, Blankenship R, Chiricolo G, Dean A, Fox J, Gaspari R, Hoffman B, Jones R, Moore C, Sierzenski P, Tayal V, Tillotson R: “Decision Rule for Imaging Utilization in Blunt Abdominal Trauma – Where is Ultrasound?”, Annals of Emergency Medicine. Vol 55, No 5, 2010
27. Ibrahim D, Patel N, Gupta M, Fox J, Lotfipour S: “Ileocecal Intussusception in the Adult Population: Case Series of Two Patients”, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2010;197-200.
28. Lotfipour S, Patel B, Grotsky T, Anderson CL, Carr E, Ahmed S, Chakravarthy B, Fox JC, Vaca F: “Comparison of the Visual Function Index to the Snellen Visual Acuity Test in Predicting Older Adult Self-Restricted Driving”, Traffic Injury Prevention. 2010 Oct11(5):503-7.
29. Fox JC, Anderson CL, Ahmed S, McDonough J, Wiechmann W, Waters M, Barajas G, Lotfipour S: “Effect of a Medical Student Emergency Ultrasound Clerkship on Number of Emergency Department Ultrasounds”, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2010; 11:31-34.
30. Cardena R, Fox J, Chakravarthy B, Lotfipour, S: “A Practical Guide for Medical Students in Spain Interested in Emergency Medicine”, Emergencias. Jan 2011
31. Lahham S, Tu K, Ni M, Lotfipour S, Anderson C, Fox JC, “Comparison of Pressures Applied by Digital Tourniquets in the Emergency Department”, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2011;12(2):242-249.
32. Fox JC, Boysen M, Gharahbaghian L, Cusick S, Ahmed SS, Anderson CL, Lekawa M, Langdorf MI. "Test Characteristics of Focused Assessment of Sonography for Trauma (FAST) for Clinically Significant Abdominal Free Fluid in Pediatric Blunt Abdominal Trauma" Academic Emergency Medicine, 2011:May;18(5):477-82
33. Fox JC, Bertoglio KC. “Emergency Physician-Performed Ultrasound for DVT Evaluation”. Thrombosis, 2011:938709. Epub 2011 Mar 6.
34. Fox JC, Richardson A, Lopez S, Solley M, Lotfipour S. “The Implications and Approach to Incidental Findings in Live Ultrasound Models”. Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2011;12(4):472-474.
35. Lotfipour S, Sayegh R, Chakravarthy B, Hoonpongsimanont W, Anderson CL, Fox JC, Vaca FE. “Fatality and Injury of Older Adult Motor Vehicle Collisions in Orange County, California, 1998-2007”, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2013 Feb
36. Lotfipour S, Cisneros V, Chakravarthy B, Barrios C, Anderson C, Fox JC, Roumani S, Hoonpongsimanont W, Vaca F. “Assessment of readiness to change and relationship to AUDIT score in a trauma population utilizing computerized alcohol screening and brief intervention”. Substance Abuse, 2012:Jan
37. Aichinger G, Zechner P, Prause G, Sacherer F, Wildner G, Anderson C, Pocivalnik M, Wiesspeiner U, Fox JC. “Cardiac Movement Identified on Prehospital Echocardiography Predicts Outcome in Cardiac Arrest Patients”. Prehospital Emergency Care, 2012 April/June
38. Chin E, Chan C, Mortazavi R, Anderson C, Kahn C, Summers S, Fox JC. “A Pilot Study Examining the Viability of a Prehospital Assessment with UltraSound for Emergencies (PAUSE) Protocol. The Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2012 May
39. Fox JC, Chiem AT, Rooney KP, Maldonado G. “Web-based Lectures, Peer Instruction and Ultrasound-integrated Medical Education”, Medical Education, 2012; 46: 1099-1110
40. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM practice guideline for the performance of a focused reproductive endocrinology and infertility scan. J Ultrasound Med 2012; 31: 1865–1874.
41. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM practice guideline for the performance of a transcranial Doppler ultrasound examination for adults and children. J Ultrasound Med 2012; 31: 1489–1500.
42. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM practice guideline for the performance of a musculoskeletal ultrasound examination. J Ultrasound Med 2012; 31: 1473–1488.
43. Becker B, Chin E, Mervis E, Anderson CL, Oshita M, Fox JC. “Emergency Biliary Sonography: Utility of Common Bile Duct Measurement in the Diagnosis of Cholecystitis and Choledocholithiasis”, The Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2013 March
44. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM practice guideline for the? performance of obstetric ultrasound examinations. J Ultrasound Med 2013; 32: 1083–1101. doi:10.7863/ultra.32.6.1083
45. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM practice guideline for the performance of native renal artery duplex sonography. J Ultrasound Med 2013; 32: 1331–1340. doi:10.7863/ultra.32.7. 1331
46. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM practice guideline for the performance of a?thyroid and parathyroid ultrasound examination. J Ultrasound Med 2013; 32: 1319–1329. doi:10.7863/ultra.32.7. 1319
47. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM practice guideline for the performance of an ultrasound examination?for detection and assessment of developmental dysplasia of the hip. J Ultrasound Med 2013; 32: 1307–1317. doi:10.7863/ultra.32.7. 1307
48. American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine. AIUM practice guideline for the?performance of fetal echocardiography. J Ultrasound Med 2013; 32: 1067–1082. doi:10.7863/ultra.32.6.1067
49. Cotter JA, Yu A, Kreitenberg A, Haddad FH, Baker MJ, Fox JC, Adams GR. “Suction-modified needle biopsy technique for the human soleus muscle”, Aviation, Space, and Environmental Medicine. 2013 October; 84(10):1066-73.
50. Doubilet P, Benson C, Bourne T, Blaivas M, Barnhart K, Brown D, Filly R, Fox JC, Goldstein S, Kendall J, Lyons E, Porter M, Pretorius D, Timor-Trisch E. “Diagnostic Criteria for Nonviable Pregnancy Early in the First Trimester”, The New England Journal of Medicine, 2013 October 10.
51. Fox JC, Marino H, Fischetti C. “Differential Diagnosis of Cardiovascular Symptoms
Setting the Expectations for the Ultrasound Examination and Medical Education”, Global Heart, 2013 December. Vol8(4); 289-292
52. Steller, J, Russell, B, Lotfipour S, Maldonado G, Siepel T, Jakle H, Hata S, Chiem A, Fox JC. “Incorporation of Bedside Ultrasound into the Standard Physical Exam: Feasibility Study of the Ultrasound Screening Exam for Underlying Lesions”, WestJEM, 2014 January 9.
53. Farukhi S, Fox JC. “The Role of Ultrasound in the Management and Diagnosis of Infectious Mononucleosis”, Critical Ultrasound Journal, 2014 February
54. Frumin E, Schlang J, Wiechmann W, Hata S, Rosen S, Anderson C, Pare L, Rosen M, Fox JC. “Prospective Analysis of Single Operator Sonographic Optic Nerve Sheath Diameter Measurement for Diagnosis of Elevated Intracranial Pressure”, WestJem, 2014 March
55. Fox JC, Schlang JR, Maldonado G, Lotfipour S, Clayman RV. “Proactive Medicine: The UCI 30, an Ultrasound-Based Clinical Initiative From the University of California, Irvine”, Academic Medicine, 2014 July.
56. AIUM Practice Guideline for the Performance of the Focused Assessment With Sonography for Trauma (FAST) Examination. Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2014, November. ?
57. Chiem A, Chan C, Ibrahim D, Anderson C, Wu D, Gilani C, Mancia Z, Fox JC. “Pelvic Ultrasonography and Length of Stay in the ED: An Observational Study”, American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2014 December
58. Connolly K, Beier L, Langdorf M, Anderson C, Fox JC, “UltraFest: A Novel Approach to Ultrasound in Medical Education Leads to Improvement in Written and Clinical Examinations”, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2014 December.
59. Zha Y, Zhou M, Hari A, Jacobsen B, Mitragotri N, Rivas B, Ventura G, Boughton J, Fox JC, “Ultrasound Diagnosis of Malaria: Examination of the Spleen, Liver, and Optic Nerve Sheath Diameter”. World Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2015 January.
60. Winn S, McKeown P, Lotfipour S, Maguire G, Youm J, Wiechmann W, Fox JC, “Remote, Synchronous, Hands-on Ultrasound Education”, Telemedicine and e-Health, 2015 July.
61. Ramsingh D, Fox JC, Wilson W, “Perioperative Point-of-Care Ultrasonography: An Emergency Technology to be Embraced by Anesthesiologists”, Anesthesia Analgesia, 2015.
62. Khalsa B, Lall C, Houshyar R, Fox JC, “40-year old female with menorrhagia and abdominal pain: A case of metastatic gestational trophoblastic neoplasia”, Radiology Case Reports, 2015 January.
63. Turner E, Fox JC, Rosen M, Allen A, Rosen S, Anderson C, Implementation and Assessment of a Curriculum for Bedside Ultrasound Training”, Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine, 2015 May.
64. Lane N, Lahham S, Joseph L, Bahner DP, Fox JC, “Ultrasound in medical education: listening to the echoes of the past to shape a vision for the future”, European Journal of Trauma and Emergency Surgery, 2015 May
65. Villar J, Summers SM, Menchine M, Fox JC, Wang R, “The Absence of Gallstones on Point-of-Care Ultrasound Rules Out Acute Cholecystitis”, Journal of Emergency Medicine 2015 July
66. Miner B, Purdy A, Curtis L, Simonson K, Shumway C, Baker J, Vaughan J, Percival K, Sanchez O, Lahham S, Joseph L, Fox JC, “Feasibility study of first-year medical students identifying cardiac anatomy using ultrasound in rural Panama”, World Journal of Emergency Medicine, Vol 6, No 3. 2015
67. Jacobsen B, Lahham S, Lahham S, Patel A, Spann S, Fox JC, “Retrospective Review of Ocular Point-of-Care Ultrasound for Detection of Retinal Detachment”, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine 2016 March
68. Rezayat T, Stowell J, Kendall JL, Turner E, Fox JC, Barjaktarevic I, “Ultrasound-Guided Cannulation: Time to Bring Subclavian Central Lines Back”, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine 2016 March
69. Dinh VA, Fu JY, Lu S, Chiem A, Fox JC, Blaivas M, “Integration of Ultrasound in Medical Education at United States Medical Schools: A National Survey of Directors’ Experiences”, Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine 2016; 35:413-419
70. Chiem A, Soucy Z, Dinh V, Chilstrom M, Gharahbaghaian L, Shah V, Medak A, Nagdev A, Jang T, Stark E, Hussain A, Lobo V, Pera A, Fox JC, “Integration of Ultrasound in Undergraduate Medical Education at the California Medical Schools
A Discussion of Common Challenges and Strategies From the UMeCali Experience”, Journal of Ultrasound Medicine 2016; 35:e1–e13
71. Rooney KP, Lahham S, Lahham S, Anderson C, Bedsoe B, Soane B, Joseph L, Osborn M, Fox JC, “Pre-hospital assessment with ultrasound in emergencies: implementation in the field”, World Journal of Emergency Medicine; Vol 7, No 2. 2016
72. Boysen M, Mattson J, Yanuck J, Anderson C, Fox JC, Harris IB, “Ranking Practice Variability in the Medical Student Performance Evaluation: So Bad, It’s “Good”, Academic Medicine 2016 (in press)
73. Lahham S, Becker B, Chiem A, Joseph L, Anderson CL, Wilson SP, Subeh M, Trinh A, Viquez E, Fox JC, “Pilot Study to Determine Accuracy of Posterior Approach Ultrasound for Shoulder Dislocation?by Novice Sonographers”, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine 2016 (in press)
74. Silva JP, Plescia T, Molina N, Tonelli AC, Langdorf MI, Fox JC, “Randomized study of effectiveness of computerized ultrasound simulators for an introductory course for residents in Brazil”, Journal of Educational Evaluation for Health Professions 2016, 13:16
75. Lahham S, Schmalbach P, Wilson S, Ludeman L, Subeh M, Chao J, Albadawi N, Mohammadi N, Fox JC, “Prospective evaluation of point-of-care ultrasound for pre-procedure identification of landmarks versus traditional palpation for lumbar puncture”, World Journal of Emergency Medicine; Vol 7, No 2. 2016
76. Jacobsen B, Lahham S, Lahham S, Patel A, Spann S, Fox JC, “Retrospective Review of Ocular Point-of-Care Ultrasound for Detection of Retinal Detachment”, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine 2016 March
77. Wilson S, Connolly K, Lahham S, Subeh M, Fischetti C, Chiem A, Aspen A, Anderson C, Fox JC, “Point-of-care ultrasound versus radiology department pelvic ultrasound on emergency department length of stay”, World Journal of Emergency Medicine; vol 7, No 3. 2016
78. Lahham S, Tsai L, Wilson S, Assaf S, Navarro R, Banimahd F, Subeh M, Barton E, Barbera A, Fox JC, “Thrombosis of Inferior Vena Cava Diagnosed using Point-of-Care Ultrasound After Pediatric Near-Syncope”; Journal of Emergency Medicine. In Press
79. Lahham S, Wilson S, Subeh M, Butterfield M, Albakri Abdelhafez, Bashir R, Fox JC, “Ultrasound-guided Central Venous Access: Which Probe is Preferred for Viewing the Subclavian Vein using a Supraclavicular Approach?”; Vol 34 (2016) 1761-1764.
80. Wilson S, Assaf S, Lahham S, Subeh M, Chiem A, Anderson C, Shwe S, Nguyen R, Fox JC, “Simplified point-of-care ultrasound protocol to confirm central venous catheter placement: a prospective study”; Western Journal of Emergency Medicine. Vol 8. No1, January 2017.
81. Fox JC, Lahham S, Maldonado G, Klaus S, Aish B, Sylwanowicz L, Yanuck J, Wilson S, Shieh M, Anderson CL, English C, Mayer R, Mohan U “Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy in Young Althletes: Successful Screening with Point-of-Care Ultrasound by Medical Students”; Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2017
82. Wilson SP, Mefford JM, Lahham S, Lotfipour S, Subeh M, Maldonado G, Spann S, Fox JC
“Implementation of a 4-Year Point-of- Care Ultrasound Curriculum in a Liaison Committee on Medical Education Accredited US Medical School”; Journal of Ultrasound in Medicine. 2017
83. Brinley A, Alvarado M, Fox JC “Bedside Echocardiography for Rapid Diagnosis of Malignant Cardiac Tamponade”; Journal of Education and Technology in Emergency Medicine. 2017
84. Denny S, Minteer W, Fenning R, Aggarwal S, Lee D, Raja S, Raman K, Farfel A, Patel P, Lieber M, Bernstein M, Lahham S, Fox JC “Ultrasound curriculum taught by first-year medical students: A four-year experience in Tanzania”; World J Emerg Med. 2018;9(1):33-40. doi: 10.5847/wjem.j.1920-8642.2018.01.005.
85. Ghosh N, Kruse D, Subeh M, Lahham S, Fox JC “Comparing Point-of-care-ultrasound (POCUS) to MRI for the Diagnosis of Medial Compartment Knee Injuries”; J Med Ultrasound. 2017 Jul-Sep;25(3):167-172. doi: 10.1016/j.jmu.2017.06.004. Epub 2017 Aug 17
86. Lahham S, Smith T, Baker J, Purdy A, Frumin E, Winner B, Wilson S, Gari A, Fox JC “Procedural simulation: medical student preference and value of three task trainers for ultrasound guided regional anesthesia”; World J Emerg Med. 2017;8(4):287-291. doi: 10.5847/wjem.j.1920-8642.2017.04.007
87. Lee J, Tse C, Keown T, Louthan M, Gabriel C, Anshus A, Hasjim B, Lee K, Kim E, Yu L, Yu A, Lahham S, Bunch S, Alvarado M, Gari A, Fox JC “Evaluation of a point of care ultrasound curriculum for Indonesian physicians taught by first year medical students”; World J Emerg Med. 2017;8(4):281-286. doi: 10.5847/wjem.j.1920-8642.2017.04.006.
88. Lahham S, Becker B, Gari A, Bunch S, Alvarado M, Anderson C, Viquez E, Spann S, Fox JC “Utility of common bile duct measurement in emergency department point of care ultrasound: A prospective study”; Am J Emerg Med. 2018 Jun;36(6):962-966. doi: 10.1016/j.ajem.2017.10.064. Epub 2017 Nov 20.
89. Lahham S, Wilson S, Turner E, Subeh M, Rosen M, Youssefian A, Anderson C, Hosseini M, Rosen S, Gari Abdulatif, Fox JC “Three-Window Ultrasonography Confirmation of Endotracheal Tube Placement”; Res Cardiovasc Med. 2017 Jul; e59361. doi: 10.5812/cardiovascmed.59361.
90. Lahham S, Baydoun J, Bailey J, Sandoval S, Wilson SP, Fox JC, Slattery DE “A Prospective Evaluation of Transverse Tracheal Sonography During Emergent Intubation by Emergency Medicine Resident Physicians”; J Ultrasound Med. 2017 Oct;36(10):2079-2085. doi: 10.1002/jum.14231. Epub 2017 May 15.
91. Yu A, Hasjim B, Yu L, Gabriel C, Anshus A, Lee J, Louthan M, Kim E, Lee K, Tse C, Keown T, Lahham S, Alvarado M, Bunch S, Gari A, Fox JC, “Comparison of ultrasound-measured properties of the common carotid artery to tobacco smoke exposure in a cohort of Indonesian patients”; World J Emerg Med. 2017;8(3):177-183. doi: 10.5847/wjem.j.1920-8642.2017.03.003.
92. Vyas A, Moran K, Livingston J, Gonzales S, Torres M, Duffens A, Romo C, Mazza G, Livingston B, Lahham S, Fox JC “Feasibility Study Minimally Trained Medical Students Using the Rural Obstetrical Ultrasound Triage Exam (ROUTE) in Rural Panama”; World J Emerg Med. 2018;9(3):216-222. doi: 10.5847/wjem.j.1920-8642.2018.03.009.
93. Lahham S, Fox JC, Thompson M, Nakorchai T, Alruwali B, Doman G, Lee S, Shafi A, Shniter I, Valdes V, Zhang L “Tricuspid Annular Plane of Systolic Excursion to Prognosticate Acute Pulmonary Symptomatic Embolism (TAPSEPAPSE Study)”; J Ultrasound Med 2018;00:1–8
94. Kwon A, Lahham S, Fox JC “Can an 8th grade student learn point of care ultrasound?”; World J Emerg Med 2019;10(2):109–113 DOI: 10.5847/wjem.j.1920–8642.2019.02.007
95. Becker A, Lahham S, Gonzales M, Nomura J, Bui M, Truong T, Stahlman B, Fox JC, Kehrl T “A Prospective, Multicenter Evaluation of Point-of-care Ultrasound for Small-bowel Obstruction in the Emergency Department”; Academic Emerg Med 2019;00:1–10.
96. Byrne C, Kahl N, Knight B, Lee M, Morley S, Lahham S, Bingisser R, Thompson M, Shniter I, Valdes V, Fox JC “A Prospective Evaluation of Point of Care Ultrasound Teaching in Switzerland”; J Med Ultrasound; 2019
97. Lahham S, Shniter I, Thompson M, Le D, Chadha T, Mailhot T, Kang T, Chiem A, Tseeng S, Fox JC, “Point-of-Care Ultrasonography in the Diagnosis of Retinal Detachment, Vitreous Hemorrhage, and Vitreous Detachment in the Emergency Department”; JAMA Network Open. 2019;2(4):e192162. doi:10.1001/jamanetworkopen.2019.2162
UC Irvine Clinical X Faculty Development Grant. $60,000
UniHealth Foundation. $700,000 grant for medical student ultrasound instruction
SonoSite $75,000 unrestricted grant for medical student ultrasound instruction
2015 $750,000 UniHealth grant for medical student ultrasound education
Fellow of the American Institute of Ultrasound in Medicine