Cardiac Muscle and Fluid Mechanics, Cardiac Imaging, Echocardiography
Young Investigator Award in Cardiology - D.P. Basu - Annual Association of Physicians of India Conference, Lucknow 1997
Young Investigator Award - American Society of Echocardiography (ASE) Annual Scientific Sessions, San Diego 2004
Outstanding Investigator Award - Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic 2007
Mayo Brother’s Distinguished Fellowship Award for outstanding clinical performance, humanitarianism and scholarly activities 2009
Investigator Award - American College of Cardiology, California Chapter 2009
Best Fellow in Training Poster Nominee - American College of Cardiology, Atlanta, GA 2010
My research is focused on the analysis of structure, function, and flow patterns in the cardiovascular system. The primary goal is to detect early stages of cardiovascular disease using state of the art cardiac ultrasound technologies. Our translational research includes both experimental and clinical studies to identify minor amplitude and temporal subtleties in myocardial and vascular wall motion and blood flow for providing a window into the early manifestations of a heterogeneous group of diseases that affect the cardiovascular system.
1. Sengupta PP, Mohan JC, Mehta V, Arora R, Pandian NG, Khandheria BK. Accuracy and pitfalls of early diastolic motion of the mitral annulus for diagnosing constrictive pericarditis by tissue Doppler imaging. Am J Cardiol 2004 Apr 1; 93(7):886-90.
2. Sengupta PP, Mohan JC, Mehta V, Jain V, Arora R, Pandian NG, Khandheria BK. Comparison of echocardiographic features of noncompaction of the left ventricle in adults versus idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy in adults. Am J Cardiol 2004 Aug 1; 94(3):389-91.
3. Sengupta PP, Khandheria BK. Transoesophageal echocardiography. Heart 2005 Apr; 91(4):541-7. PMID:15772230. PMCID:1768839.
4. Sengupta PP, Khandheria BK, Korinek J, Wang JW, Belohlavek M. Biphasic tissue Doppler waveforms during isovolumic phases are associated with asynchronous deformation of subendocardial and subepicardial layers. J Appl Physiol 2005 Sep; 99(3):1104-11.
5. Sengupta PP, Khandheria BK, Korinek J, Wang J, Jahangir A, Seward JB, Belohlavek M. Apex-to-base dispersion in regional timing of left ventricular shortening and lengthening. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006 Jan 3; 47(1):163-72. Epub 2005 Dec 01. PMID:16386681.
6. Sengupta PP, Korinek J, Belohlavek M, Narula J, Vannan MA, Jahangir A, Khandheria BK. Left ventricular structure and function: basic science for cardiac imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol 2006 Nov 21; 48(10):1988-2001.
7. Sengupta PP, Khandheria BK, Korinek J, Jahangir A, Yoshifuku S, Milosevic I, Belohlavek M. Left ventricular isovolumic flow sequence during sinus and paced rhythms: new insights from use of high-resolution Doppler and ultrasonic digital particle imaging velocimetry. J Am Coll Cardiol 2007 Feb 27; 49(8):899-908.
8. Krishnamoorthy VK, Sengupta PP, Gentile F, Khandheria BK. History of echocardiography and its future applications in medicine. Crit Care Med 2007 Aug; 35(8 Suppl):S309-13.
9. Sengupta PP, Krishnamoorthy VK, Abhayaratna WP, Korinek J, Belohlavek M, Sundt TM 3rd, Chandrasekaran K, Mookadam F, Seward JB, Tajik AJ, Khandheria BK. Disparate patterns of left ventricular mechanics differentiate constrictive pericarditis from restrictive cardiomyopathy. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2008 Jan; 1(1):29-38.
10. Dal-Bianco JP, Sengupta PP, Khandheria BK. Role of echocardiography in the diagnosis and management of asymptomatic severe aortic stenosis. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2008 Feb; 6(2):223-33. PMID:18248276.
11. Sengupta PP, Northfelt DW, Gentile F, Zamorano JL, Khandheria BK. Trastuzumab-induced cardiotoxicity: heart failure at the crossroads. Mayo Clin Proc 2008 Feb; 83(2):197-203.
12. Sengupta PP, Tajik AJ, Chandrasekaran K, Khandheria BK. Twist mechanics of the left ventricle: principles and application. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging 2008 May; 1(3):366-76.
13. Sengupta PP, Krishnamoorthy VK, Abhayaratna WP, Korinek J, Belohlavek M, Sundt TM 3rd, Chandrasekaran K, Seward JB, Tajik AJ, Khandheria BK. Comparison of usefulness of tissue Doppler imaging versus brain natriuretic peptide for differentiation of constrictive pericardial disease from restrictive cardiomyopathy. Am J Cardiol 2008 Aug 1; 102(3):357-62.
14. Dal-Bianco JP, Khandheria BK, Mookadam F, Gentile F, Sengupta PP. Management of asymptomatic severe aortic stenosis. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008 Oct 14; 52(16):1279-92.
15. Cho EJ, Caraccciolo G, Khandheria B, Steidley DE, Chandrasekaran K, Abhayaratna W, Sengupta PP. Tissue Doppler derived measurements during isovolumic contraction predict exercise capacity in patients with reduced left ventricular ejection fraction. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging 2009; in press.
16. Sengupta PP. Exploring Left Ventricular Isovolumic Shortening and Stretch Mechanics-The Heart has its Reasons. JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging 2009; 2:202-11.
17. Sengupta PP. Left ventricular transmural mechanics: tracking opportunities in-depth. J Am Soc Echocardiogr 2009; 22:1022-24
18. Sengupta PP, Sorajja D, Eleid MF, Somers VK, Ommen SR, Parish JM, Khandheria B, Tajik AJ. Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy and sleep-disordered breathing: an unfavorable combination. Nat Clin Pract Cardiovasc Med 2009 Jan; 6(1):14-5.
19. Eleid MF, Konecny T, Orban M, Sengupta PP, Somers VK, Parish JM, Mookadam F, Brady PA, Sullivan BL, Khandheria BK, Ommen SR, Tajik AJ. High prevalence of abnormal nocturnal oximetry in patients with hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009 Nov 3; 54(19):1805-9.
20. Geyer H, Caracciolo G, Abe H, Wilansky S, Carerj S, Gentile F, Nesser HJ, Khandheria B, Narula J, Sengupta PP. Assessment of myocardial mechanics using speckle tracking echocardiography: fundamentals and clinical applications. J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2010 Apr;23(4):351-69