2018 Southern California Super Doctors
2013-2018 Physician of Excellence—Orange County Medical Association
2014 Department of Medicine, Chair’s Research Grant Award
2012 Faculty of the Year Award—Fellow Advocate
2007 Outstanding Cardiology Fellow—Research Accomplishments
2000 Dean’s Award for Outstanding Student
2000 Gustave D. Suffin Award for Outstanding Senior in Clinical Medicine
2000 Health Sciences Partners Award, Outstanding senior with scholastic achievement
2000 Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Award
2000 Merck Manual Award
1999 Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society
1999 Educational Affairs Service Award
1998 Basic Science Certificate of Excellence
1998 Distinguished Achievement Award in Pathology
1998 American Society of Clinical Pathologist Award for Academic Excellence
1998 Dean’s Summer Research Program Award
1995 Ruth Richards Outstanding Public Health Student Award
1995 Delta Omega Member National Public Health Scholastic Honor Society
1. Malik S, Sorenson SB, Aneshensel CS. Community and dating violence among adolescents: perpetration and victimization. J Adolesc Health. 1997 Nov;21(5):291-302.
2. Malik S, Kashyap ML. Niacin, lipids, and the heart. Current Cardiology Reports. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2003; 5:470-6.
3. Malik S, Kashyap ML. Dyslipidemia treatment: current considerations and unmet needs. Expert Review of Cardiovascular Therapy. 2003;1:121-134.
4. Malik S, Wong ND, Franklin, SS, Kamath TV, L’Italien GJ, Pio JR, Williams GR. The Impact of the Metabolic Syndrome on Mortality from Coronary Heart Disease, Cardiovascular Disease, and All Causes in United States Adults. Circulation 2004;110:1245-50.
5. Malik S, Wong ND, Franklin S, Pio J, Fairchild C, Chen R. Cardiovascular disease in U.S. patients with metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and elevated C-reactive protein. Diabetes Care. 2005 Mar;28(3):690-3.
6. Delfino RJ, Sioutas C, and Malik S. Potential role of ultrafine particles in associations between
airborne particle mass and cardiovascular health. Environ Health Perspect. 2005
7. Jacobs MJ, Kleisli T, Pio JR, Malik S, L'Italien GJ, Chen RS, Wong ND. Prevalence and control
of dyslipidemia among persons with diabetes in the United States. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2005
8. Vu JD, Vu JB, Pio JR, Malik S, Franklin SS, Chen RS, Wong ND. Impact of C-reactive protein on the likelihood of peripheral arterial disease in United States adults with the metabolic syndrome, diabetes mellitus, and preexisting cardiovascular disease. Am J Cardiol. 2005 Sep 1;96(5):655-8.
9. Asch SM, Kerr EA, Keesey J, Adams JL, Setodji CM, Malik S, McGlynn EA. Who is at greatest risk for receiving poor-quality health care? N Engl J Med. 2006 Mar 16;354(11):1147-56.
10. Shrank WH, Asch SM, Adams J, Setodji C, Kerr EA, Keesey J, Malik S, McGlynn EA. The Quality of Pharmacologic Care for Adults in the United States. Medical Care. 2006; 44(10):936-945.
11. Malik S, Lopez V, Chen R, MD, Wu W, and Wong ND. Undertreatment of Cardiovascular Risk Factors Among Persons with Diabetes in the United States. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. Diabetes Research and Clinical Practice. 2007;77(1):126-33.
12. Shaw LJ, Berman DS, Blumenthal RS, Budoff MJ, Faber TL, Goraya T, Halliburton SS, Hecht H, Kiat H, Koenig W, Malik S, Merhige M, Nasir K, Min JK, O’Keefe J, Polk DM, Raggi P, Rosenblatt JA, Schwartz RG, Taylor RJ, Thomas GS, Wijns W. Clinical imaging for prevention: directed strategies for improved detection of presymptomatic patients with undetected atherosclerosis--Part I: Clinical imaging for prevention. J Nucl Cardiol. 2008;15(1):e6-19.
13. Ong MK, Mangione CM, Romano PS, Zhou Q, Auerbach AD, Chun A, Davidson B, Ganiats TG, Greenfield S, Gropper MA, Malik S, Rosenthal JT, Escarce JJ. Looking forward, looking back: assessing variations in hospital resource use and outcomes for elderly patients with heart failure. Circul Cardiovas Qual Outcomes. 2009; 2:548-57.
14. Malik S, Wong ND. Metabolic syndrome, cardiovascular risk, and screening for subclinical atherosclerosis. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2009; 7:273-280.
15. Song M, Alexander CM, Mavros P, Lopez VA, Malik S, Phatak HM, Wong ND. Use of the UKPDS Outcome Model to predict All-cause Mortality in US adults with type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: Comparison of predicted versus observed mortality. Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2011 ;91(1):121-6.
16. Saremi F, Mekhail S, Sefidbakht S, Thonar B, Malik S, Sarlaty T. Quantification of epicardial adipose tissue: correlation of surface area and volume measurements. Acad Radiol. 2011 ;18(8):977-83.
17. Saremi F, Thonar B, Sarlaty T, Shmayevich I, Malik S, Smith CW, Krishnan S, Sánchez-Quintana D, Narula N. Posterior interatrial muscular connection between the coronary sinus and left atrium: anatomic and functional study of the coronary sinus with multidetector CT. Radiology. 2011;260(3):671-679.
18. Malik S, Budoff M, Katz R, Blumenthal R, Bertoni A, Nasir K, Szklo M, Barr G, and Wong ND. Impact of Subclinical Atherosclerosis on Cardiovascular Disease Events in Individuals with Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2011; 34:2285-2290.
19. Wong ND, Glovaci D, Wong K, Malik S, Franklin SS, Wygant G, Iloeje U. Global cardiovascular disease risk assessment in United States adults with diabetes. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2012;9(2):146-52.
20. Wong K, Glovaci D, Malik S, Franklin SS, Wygant G, Iloeje U, Kan H, Wong ND. Comparison of demographic factors and cardiovascular risk factor control among US adults with type 2 diabetes by insulin treatment classification. J Diabetes Complications. 2012;26(3):169-74.
21. Evangelista LS, Motie M, Lombardo D, Ballard-Hernandez J, Malik S, Liao S. Does Preparedness Planning Improve Attittudes and Completion of Advance Directives in Patients with Symptomatic Heart Failure? J Palliat Med. 2012; 15: 1316-1320.
22. Evangelista L, Lombardo D, Malik S, Motie M, Ballard-Hernandez J, Liao S. Examining the Effects of an Outpatient Palliative Care Consultation on Symptom Burden, Depression, and Quality of Life in Patients with Symptomatic Heart Failure. ?Journal of Cardiac Failure. 2012; 18:894-9.
23. Ghaznavi K, Malik S. Provider and systems factors in diabetes quality of care. Curr Cardiol Rep. 2012;14(1):97-105.
24. Alipour N, Wong ND, Malik S. Diagnosis of coronary artery disease in persons with diabetes mellitus. Curr Diab Rep. 2012 Jun;12(3):286-93.
25. Alipour N, Wong ND, Malik S. The metabolic syndrome and dyslipidemia in primary and secondary prevention: examining the implications of recent trials. Clin. Lipidology. 2012;7(2):223-239.
26. Mohar D and Malik S. The Sirtulin System: The Holy Grail of Resveratrol? J Clin Exp Cardiolog. 2012 Nov;3(11).
27. Malik S, Billimek J, Greenfield S, Sorkin DH, Ngo-Metzger Q, Kaplan SH. Patient Complexity and Risk Factor Control Among Multimorbid Patients with Type 2 Diabetes: Results From the R2D2C2 study. Med Care. 2013; 51(2): 180-185.
28. Narula J, Nakano M, Kolodgie F, Petersen R, Newcomb R, Malik S, Fuster V, Virmani R, Finn A. Histopathological Characteristics of Atherosclerotic Coronary Disease and Implications of the findings for the Invasive and Noninvasive Detection of Vulnerable Plaques. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2013;61(10):1041-51.
29. Dhoot J, Erande A, Amin A, Patel P, Tariq S, Malik S. The Effect of Morbid Obesity on In- Hospital Mortality and Coronary Revascularization Outcomes After Myocardial Infarction in the United States. Am J Cardiol. 2013 Apr 15;111(8):1104-10.
30. Qazi M and Malik S. Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease: Original Insights from the Framingham Heart Study. Glob Heart. 2013 Mar 1;8(1):43-48.
31. Tehrani DM, Malik S, Wong ND. Coronary artery calcium screening in persons with metabolic syndrome and diabetes: implications for prevention. Metab Syndr Relat Disord. 2013 Jun;11(3):143-8.
32. Wong ND, Patao C, Wong K, Malik S, Franklin SS, Iloeje U. Trends in control of cardiovascular risk factors among US Adults with Type 2 Diabetes from 1999 to 2010: Comparison by prevalent cardiovascular disease status. Diab Vasc Dis Res. 2013 Nov;10(6):505-13.
33. Tehrani DM, Darki L, Erande A, Malik S. In-hospital Mortality and Coronary Procedure Utilization for Dementia Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction in the United States. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2013 Nov;61(11):1932-6.
34. Groves E, Yu K, Wong N, and Malik S. Standard and Novel Treatment Options for Metabolic Syndrome and Diabetes Mellitus. Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine. 15:706–721 November 15 2013, Epub.
35. Sunkara N, Wong ND, and Malik S. Role of coronary artery calcium in cardiovascular risk assessment. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2014 Jan; 12(1): 87-94.
36. Wong ND, Patao C, Malik S, Iloeje U. Preventable Coronary Heart Disease Events from Control of Cardiovascular Risk Factors in US Adults with Diabetes (Projections from Utilizing the UKPDS Risk Engine). American Journal of Cardiology. 2014 Apr 15;113(8):1356-61.
37. Groves E, Khoshchehreh M, Le C, Malik S. The Effect of Weekend Admission on Outcomes of Patients with Ruptured Aortic Aneurysm in the United States. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2014 Aug;60(2):318-24. doi: 10.1016/j.jvs.2014.02.052. Epub 2014 Apr 4.
38. Malik S. Excess Risk of Stroke in Women –the Role of Diabetes Mellitus. Nature Reviews Endocrinology. 2014 Jun;10(6):318-20. doi: 10.1038/nrendo.2014.56. Epub 2014 Apr 22.
39. Naderi N, Masoomi H, Mozaffar T, Malik S. Patient Characteristics and Comorbidities Associated with Cerebrovascular Accident following Acute Myocardial Infarction in the United States. International Journal of Cardiology. 2014 Aug 1;175(2):323-7.
40. Groves EM, Erande AS, Le C, Salcedo J, Hoang KC, Kumar S, Mohar DS, Saremi F, Im J, Agrawal Y, Nadeswaran P, Naderi N, Malik S. Comparison of epicardial adipose tissue volume and coronary artery disease severity in asymptomatic adults with versus without diabetes mellitus. Am J Cardiol. 2014 Sep 1;114(5):686-91.
41. Mohar D, Salcedo J, Hoang K, Kumar S, Saremi F, Erande A, Naderi N, Nadeswaran P, Le C, Malik S. Epicardial adipose tissue volume as a marker of coronary artery disease severity in patients with diabetes independent of coronary artery calcium: Findings from the CTRAD study. Diab Res Clin Prac. 2014 Nov; 106(2):228-35.
42. Billimek J, Malik S, Sorkin D, Schmalbach P, Ngo-Metzger Q, Greenfield S, Kaplan S. Understanding disparities in lipid management among patients with type 2 diabetes: Gender differences in medication nonadherence following treatment intensification. Women’s Health Issues. Womens Health Issues. 2015 Jan-Feb;25(1):6-12.
43. Kim M, Chu A, Khan Y, Malik S. Predicting and preventing vascular complications following percutaneous coronary intervention in women. Expert Rev Cardiovasc Ther. 2015 Feb;13(2):163-72.
44. Zhao Y, Malik S, Wong ND. Evidence for coronary artery calcification screening in the early detection of coronary artery disease and implications of screening in developing countries. Glob Heart. 2014 Dec;9(4):399-407.
45. Narula J, Chandrashekhar YS, Dilsizian V, Garcia MJ, Kramer CM, Malik S, Ryan T, Sen S, Wu JC. COCATS 4 Task Force 4: Training in Multimodality Imaging. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2015 May 5;65(17):1778-85.
46. Kurth J, Malik S. Reducing women’s cardiovascular disease risk profile. Women’s Health. 2015 Jun; 11(3):385-97.
47. Budoff MJ, Raggi P, Beller GA, Berman DS, Druz RS, Malik S, Rigolin VH, Weigold WG, Soman P; Imaging Council of the American College of Cardiology. Noninvasive Cardiovascular Risk Assessment of the Asymptomatic Diabetic Patient: The Imaging Council of the American College of Cardiology. JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2016 Feb;9(2):176-92
48. Boulos NM, Gardin JM, Malik S, Postley J, Wong ND. Carotid Plaque Characterization, Stenosis, and Intima-Media Thickness According to Age and Gender in a Large Registry Cohort. Am J Cardiol. 2016 Apr 1;117(7):1185-91
49. Khoshchehreh M, Groves EM, Tehrani D, Amin A, Patel PM, Malik S. Changes in mortality on weekend versus weekday admissions for Acute Coronary Syndrome in the United States over the past decade. Int J Cardiol. 2016 May 1; 210:164-72.
50. Bhatia S, Qazi M, Erande A, Shah K, Amin A, Patel P, Malik S. Racial Differences in the Prevalence and Outcomes of Atrial Fibrillation in Patients Hospitalized with Heart Failure. Am J Cardiol. 2016 May 1;117(9):1468-73.
51. Wong ND, Zhao Y, Patel R, Patao C, Malik S, Bertoni AG, Correa A, Folsom AR, Kachroo S, Mukherjee J, Taylor H, Selvin E. Cardiovascular Risk Factor Targets and Cardiovascular Disease Event Risk in Diabetes: A Pooling Project of the Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study, Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis, and Jackson Heart Study. Diabetes Care. 2016 May;39(5):668-76.
52. Ganesan G, Warren RV, Leproux A, Compton M, Cutler K, Wittkipp S, Tran G, O’Sullivan T, Malik S, Galassetti PR, Tromberg BJ. Diffuse optical spectroscopic imaging of subcutaneous adipose tissue metabolic changes during weight loss. Int J Obesity. 2016 Aug;40(8):1292-300. doi: 10.1038/ijo.2016.43. Epub 2016 Apr 22.
53. Gurudevan S, Garg P, Malik S, Khattar R, Saremi F, Hecht H, DeMaria A, Narula J. Impaired fasting glucose is associated with increased severity of subclinical coronary artery disease compared to patients with diabetes and normal fasting glucose: evaluation by coronary computed tomographic angiography. BMJ Open. 2016 Aug 16;6(8):e005148. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005148.
54. Dubin RF, Deo R, Bansal N, Anderson AH, Yang P, Go AS, Keane M, Townsend R, Porter A, Budoff M, Malik S, He J, Rahman M, Wright J, Cappola T, Kallem R, Roy J, Sha D, Shlipak MG; CRIC Study Investigators. Associations of Conventional Echocardiographic Measures with Incident Heart Failure and Mortality: The Chronic Renal Insufficiency Cohort. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol. 2017 Jan 6;12(1):60-68.
55. Malik S, Zhao Y, Budoff M, Nasir K, Blumenthal RS, Bertoni AG, Wong ND. Coronary Artery Calcium Score for Long-term Risk Classification in Individuals with Type 2 Diabetes and Metabolic Syndrome for the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. JAMA Cardiol. 2017 Dec 1;2(12):1332-1340.
56. Fiandaca MS, Mapstone M, Connors E, Jacobson M, Monuki ES, Malik S, Macciardi F, Federoff HJ. Systems Healthcare: a holistic paradigm for tomorrow.
BMC Syst Biol. 2017 Dec 19;11(1):142.
57. Bajwa, EI and Malik S. Debunking the Myth of Diabetes Mellitus as Cardiovascular Disease Equivalent: What Took So Long? Curr Cardiovasc Risk Rep (2018) 12: 20. doi.org/10.1007/s12170-018-0585-6
58. Sahyouni R, Roufail J, Cadena G, Chen J, Hsu F, Gannotta R, Malik S, Vadera S. A Novel Integrative Healing Services Approach for Neurosurgery Inpatients: Preliminary Experiences and Cost Calculations. Interdisciplinary Neurosurgery (2018). Accepted for publication.
59. Gannotta R, Malik S, Chan A Y, et al. (August 04, 2018) Integrative Medicine as a Vital Component of Patient Care. Cureus 10(8): e3098. doi:10.7759/cureus.3098.
60. Ridker PM, Everett BM, Pradhan A, MacFadyen JG, Solomon DH, Zaharris E, Mam V, Hasan A, Rosenberg Y, Iturriaga E, Gupta M, Tsigoulis M, Verma S, Clearfield M, Libby P, Goldhaber SZ, Seagle R, Ofori C, Saklayen M, Butman S, Singh N, Le May M, Bertrand O, Johnston J, Paynter NP, Glynn RJ; CIRT Investigators. Low-Dose Methotrexate for the Prevention of Atherosclerotic Events. N Engl J Med. 2019; 380(8):752-762.
61. Guo ZL, Malik S. Acupuncture activates a direct pathway from the nucleus tractus solitarii to the rostral ventrolateral medulla. Brain Res. 2019;1708:69-77. doi:10.1016/j.brainres.2018.12.009
62. Zhao Y, Evans MA, Allison MA, Bertoni AG, Buodff MJ, Criqui M, Malik S, Ouyang P, Polak J, Wong ND. Multisite atherosclerosis in subjects with metabolic syndrome and diabetes and relation to cardiovascular events: The Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis. Atherosclerosis. 2019;282:202-209.
63. Kawata H, Erande A, Lafi O, Chen CV, Hirai T, Santucci P, Malik S. Occurrence, mortality and predictors of complicated cardiac perforation in patients with CRT-D: Based on the National Inpatient Sample registry. Int J Cardiol. 2019;293:109-114.
64. Malik S, Samaniego T, Guo ZL. Adenosine Receptor A2a, but Not A1 in the rVLM Participates Along With Opioids in Acupuncture-Mediated Inhibition of Excitatory Cardiovascular Reflexes. Front Neurosci. 2019;13:1049.
65. Guo Z, Lin X, Samaniego T, Iserb A, Cao S, Malik S, Holmes TC, Xu X. Fos-CreER-based genetic mapping of forebrain regions activated by acupuncture. J Comp Neurol. 2020;528(6):953-971.
66. Fu LW, Tjen-A-Looi SC, Barvarz S, Guo ZL, Malik S. Role of opioid receptors in modulation of P2X receptor-mediated cardiac sympathoexcitatory reflex response. Sci Rep. 2019;9(1):17224.
67. Kalantar-Zadeh K, Joshi S, Schlueter R, Cooke J, Brown-Tortorici A, Donnelly M, Schulman S, Lau WL, Rhee CM, Streja E, Tantisattamo E, Ferrey AJ, Hanna R, Chen JLT, Malik S, Nguyen DV, Crowley ST, Kovesdy CP. Plant-Dominant Low-Protein Diet for Conservative Management of Chronic Kidney Disease. Nutrients. 2020;12:1931.
68. Jones NM, Mukamel DB, Malik S, Greenfield RS, Reikes A, Wong ND, Chow E. The costs outweight the benefits: seeing side-effects online may decrease adherence to statins. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2020 Aug 20;20(1):197.
NIH/NHLBI R01HL128801 Malik (PI) 7/15/15-4/30/2020
SBHW-PREDICT (The role of PRoteomics, gEnetics, and Directed Imaging using CT)
Adolph Coors Foundation Malik (Co-PI) 11/1/2016-10/31/2019
Electroacupuncture for Middle-aged Females with Hypertension
Cardiovascular Disease (IM)
Susan Samueli Integrative Health Institute