corneal transplantation, lamellar keratoplasty, femtosecond laser, limbal stem cell transplantation, artificial cornea, Boston keratoprosthesis, ocular surface disease, dry eye disease and cataract innovations
Director - Cornea, Refractive, and Cataract Surgery
Director - Severe Ocular Surface Disease
Vice Chair - Ophthalmic Faculty
6) Study of Humphrey Visual Field (HVF) 10-2 testing in multifocal vs. monofocal intraocular lens implanted eyes.
Major goal: To evaluate whether there are associated visual field changes after multifocal versus monofocal lens implantation.
7) Study of effects of Mitomycin-C on wound healing in refractive surgery.
Major goal: Assess whether SHG can detect differences in corneal fibrosis induced by excimer surface ablation treated with and without mitomycin C (MMC).
8) Principal Investigator on National Cornea Donor Study.
Major goal: National study to evaluate corneal donor grafts.
9) Sub-Investigator/Co-Researcher on Safety and Efficacy of the KXL System with Riboflavin 0.1% Ophthalmic Solution for Corneal Collagen Cross-linking in Eyes with Keratoconus (KXL-001).
Major goal: National multi-center trial evaluating safety and efficacy of corneal crosslinking.
10) Principle Investigator for the 2014 Deans Triumvirate Award – Selective Cell Adhesion on Nanotopography for an Artificial Cornea Background.
Collaborators: Dr. Albert Yee and Dr. Roger Stienert.
Major goal: Evaluating Materials for Artificial Corneal Implant.
11) Co-Investigator for Dry Eye Disease Research.
Collaborators: Dr. James Jester, Dr. Jerry Paugh, Dr. Sam Garg and Dr. Lbachir BenMohamed.
Major goal: Involved in Multiple Projects to Evaluate Meibomian Gland Disease and the Pathophysiology of Dry Eye and Ocular Surface Disease.
12) Principle Investigator for KALA Dry Study Trial – KPI-121-C-006 and KPI-121-C-007: A Phase 3, Double-Masked, Randomized, Controlled Study of KPI-121 0.25% Ophthalmic Suspension Compared to Vehicle in Subjects with Dry Eye Disease.
Major Goal: Evaluating Safety and Efficacy of KPI-121 for Treatment of Dry Eye Disease.
13) Co-investigator. Leading the Animal and Clinical Trials. A Novel Bandage Contact Lens Against Resistant Fungal Infections with Ocular Drug Delivery.
Major Goal: To develop a nanopatterned, biocomposite bandage contact lens with an antifungal and antibacterial technology designed to prevent detrimental ocular fungal infections while simultaneously delivering drugs that aid in injured infected eyes.
14) Principal Investigator for KeraMed Trial – A Prospective, Multicenter Clinical Trial Designed to Evaluate the Safety and Probable Benefit of the Keraclear Non-Penetrating Keraprosthesis in Subjects with Corneal Opacity With Poor Prognosis for Corneal Transplant.
Major Goal: To evaluate the safety and efficacy of the KeraKlear Non-Penetrating Keratoprosthesis when implanted in an eye with corneal opacity that is at high risk of complications with PK.
15) Principal Investigator for EBAA Grant - Micro/Nanobubbles: A New Modality for Corneal Transplant Preservation.
Major Goal: The purpose of our study is to determine the effect of the addition of oxygen-laden micro/nanobubbles (MNBs) to Optisol solution on corneal graft survival and endothelial cell viability. (Submitted)
16) Assessments of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction as seen on meibography.
Major Goal: To understand the association between screen time, eye makeup usage, history of cosmetic eyelid procedures, and contact lens wear on meibomian gland dysfunction and associated changes on meibography.
17. Co-Principal Investigator for Department of Defense (DOD) Grant. Major goal: To develop a nanopatterned, biocomposite bandage contact lens with an antifungal and antibacterial technology designed to prevent detrimental ocular fungal infections while simultaneously delivering drugs that aid in injured infected eyes
18. Co-Principal Investigator – Assessing corneal nerve regeneration
with ocular surface therapeutics using Confocal Imaging.
Major Goal: To understand the effects of therapeutics such as Autologous serum, Cenegermin, and amniotic membrane on regeneration of corneal innervation in eyes with ocular surface disease.
Text Book Editor:
1. Corneal In-office Procedures: An Interactive Case-Based Approach. SLACK, Incorporated. Editor: Farid, M (In Publication)
2. Steinert’s Cataract Surgery. SLACK, Incorporated. Editors: Koch D and Garg S. Section Editor: Farid, M (In Publication)
TEXT BOOK CHAPTERS
5. Farid M, Gutti V, Schecter R. "Multifocal Intraocular Lens", Duane's Ophthalmology, 2012 Edition. Lippincott Williams &Wilkins, Volume 1, Chapter 68A.
6. Farid M, Garg S, Steinert RF. “Femtosecond Laser Keratoplasty (FLK)”, Copeland and Afshari's Principles and Practice of Cornea. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers 2012, Volume 2, Chapter 115, Pages 1421-1426.
7. Farid M. “Cataract Surgery”, Steinert and Garg’s Ophthalmic Microsurgery, Principles, Techniques, and Applications. SLACK Incorporated, 2014, Chapter 8, Pages 71-88.
8. Wade M, Farid M, Garg S., Steinert R. “Role of Optical Coherence Tomography in Endothelial Keratoplasty”, Mastering Endothelial Keratoplasty. Springer, 2016, Chapter 6, Pages 89-105.
9. Farid M, Steinert RF, Garg S, Wade M. “Femtosecond Assisted Penetrating Keratoplasty” Krachmer, Mannis & Holland (ed) Cornea, Fourth Edition. Mosby Elsevier 2017. Chapter 112, Pages 1283-1288.
10. Farid M, Steinert RF, Garg S, Wade M. “Corneal Ectasia” Krachmer, Mannis & Holland (ed) Cornea, Fourth Edition. Mosby Elsevier 2017. Chapter 170, 1812-1822.
11. Garcia G, Farid M. “Management of Ocular Surface Disease in Cataract and Refractive Surgery Patients”. Ocular Surface Disease 2017. Chapter 4, 43-60.
12. Asota I, Farid M. Femtosecond Laser-Assisted Keratoplasty. Advancements in Ophthalmology and Optometry 3, 2018. Vol. 2, 303-314.
13. Farid M, Vu P. “Epidemiology: Incidence, Prevalence, and Impact of Disease.” Dry Eye Disease: A Practical Guide. SLACK Incorporated, 2019, Chapter 1, Pages 3-10.
14. Farid M, Jarstad A, Chang DF, Agarwal A, Lee BS. “Anterior chamber IOL complications and management”. Advanced IOL Fixation Techniques: Strategies for compromised or missing capsular support. Editor David Chang, MD. SLACK Incorporated, 2019, Chapter 55, 419-426.
15. Farid M, Smith R. “Salzmans nodular degeneration”. Corneal In-office Procedures: An Interactive Case-Based Approach. SLACK, Incorporated. Editor: Farid, M (In Publication)
16. Farid M, Knezevic A. “Band Keratopathy”. Corneal In-office Procedures: An Interactive Case-Based Approach. SLACK, Incorporated. Editor: Farid, M (In Publication)
17. Farid M, Knezevic A. “Corneal suturing and adjusting at the slit lamp”. Corneal In-office Procedures: An Interactive Case-Based Approach. SLACK, Incorporated. Editor: Farid, M (In Publication)
18. Koch D, Xie K, Farid M. “Corneal relaxing Incisions”. Corneal In-office Procedures: An Interactive Case-Based Approach. SLACK, Incorporated. Editor: Farid, M (In Publication)
19. Farid M, Chhadva P. “Ophthalmic Viscoelastic Devices”. Steinert’s Cataract Surgery. SLACK, Incorporated. Editors: Koch D and Garg S. Section Editor: Farid, M (In Publication)
PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
13. Chamberlain W, Omid N, Lin A, Farid M, Gaster RN, Steinert RF. Comparison of corneal surface higher-order aberrations after endothelial keratoplasty, femtosecond laser-assisted keratoplasty, and conventional penetrating keratoplasty. Cornea. 2012 Jan; 31(1):6-13.
14. Farid M, Pirouzian A, Steinert RF. Femtosecond Laser Keratoplasty. International Ophthalmology Clinics. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.2013 Winter; 53(1):55-64. PMID: 23221885
15. Garg S, Said B, Farid M, Steinert RF. Prevalence of Positive Microbiology Results From Donor Cornea Tissue in Different Methods of Corneal Transplantation. Cornea 2013 Feb; 32(2);137-40. PMID: 22580430
16. Asota I, Farid M, Garg S, Steinert RF. Femtosecond Laser Enabled Keratoplasty. International Ophthalmology Clinics. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. Spring 2013; 53(2); 103-14. PMID: 23470593.
17. Farid M. Trans-Scleral Suturing of the Implantable Miniature Telescope. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 2013 July; 39(7); 979-983.
18. Shue A, Farid M. Visual Field Deficits with a Multifocal Intraocular Lens. JCRS Online Case Reports, 2013 September.
19.Wade M, Steinert R, Garg S, Farid M, Gaster R. Results of toric intraocular lenses for post-keratoplasty astigmatism. Ophthalmology. 2014 March; 121(3): 771-777.
20. Farid M, Chak G, Steinert R, Garg S. Reduction in mean deviation values in automated perimetry in eyes with multifocal compared to monofocal intraocular lens implants. The American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2014 August; 158 (2): 227-231.
21. Farid M, Lee N. Ocular surface reconstruction with keratolimbal allograft for the treatment of severe or recurrent symblepharon. Cornea. 2015 Jun; 34(6):632-6.
22. Ng J, Behshad S., Farid M. Review of Surgical Techniques for Posterior Chamber Intraocular Lens Fixation in the Absence of Capsular Lens Support. US Ophthalmic Review. 2015; 8(2):86–91
23. Behshad S, Vu PQ, Farid M. Surgical Management of Keratoconus: Battle of the bulge. Review of Cornea and Contact Lenses. 2016 May; 1-5.
24. Farid M, Agrawal A, Fremgen D, Tao J, Chuyi H, Nesburn A, BenMohamed L. Age-related Defects in Ocular and Nasal Mucosal Immune System and the Immunopathology of Dry Eye Disease. Informa Healthcare. 2016 June; 24(3): 327-347.
25. Ng J., Minckler D., Walsh TJ, Farid M. An Intractable Case of Prototheca Keratitis and Chronic Endophthalmitis in Stevens–Johnson Syndrome With Boston Type 1 Keratoprosthesis. Cornea. 2016 September; 35(9): 1257-1260.
26. Jeng, BH., Farid, M., Patel, SV, Schwab, IR. Corneal crosslinking for keratoconus: a look at the data, the FDA, and the future. Elsevier. 2016 November; 123(11): 2270-2272.
27. Hovanesian J, Starr C, Vroman D, Mah F, Gomes J, Farid M, Shamie N, Davidson R, John T, Holland E, Kim T. Surgical Techniques and Adjuvants for the Management of Primary and Recurrent Pterygia. Elsevier. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. 2017 March; 43(3), 405–419.
28. Muniz Castro, H, Tai, AX, Farid M. Ectopia Lentis in a 2-year-old child with Marfan Syndrome. Int J Ophthal Vision Res. 2017 May; 1(1): 012-015.
29. Lin, M, Bhatt, A, Haider, A, Kim, G, Farid, M, Schmutz, M, Mosaed, S. Vision retention in early versus delayed glaucoma surgical intervention in patients with Boston Keratoprosthesis type 1. PLoS ONE. 2017 Aug, 12(8): e0182190.
30. Farid, M. Dry Eye Disease: Let's Start Thinking Outside of the Artificial Tear Box. Ophthalmology. 2017 Nov; 124(11S):S1-S3.
31. Shumway, C., Aggarwal S., Farid, M., Muniz-Castro H., Jarstad, A., Garg, S., Kedhar, S., Wade, M. Penetrating Keratoplasty Using Femtosecond Laser: A Comparison of Postoperative Visual Acuity and Astigmatism by Suture Pattern. Cornea. 2018 Dec; 37(12):1490-1496.
32. Maharana P, Sahay P, Singhal D, Gelman R, Farid M, Sinha R, Agarwal T, Sharma N, Titiyal J. Pharmacologic Therapy of Mycotic Keratitis. Survey of Ophthalmology. 2019 Feb; S0039-6257(17)30338-7.
33. Paugh J, Alfonso-Garcia A, Nguyen AL, Sulahin J, Farid M, Garg S, Tao J, Potma E, Jester J. Characterization of expressed human meibum using hyperspectral stimulation Raman scattering microscopy. The Ocular Surface. 2019 Jan; 17(1):151-159.
34. Wade, M., Muniz-Castro H., Garg, S., Kedhar, S., Aggarwal S., Shumway, C., Farid, M. Long-Term Results of Femtosecond Laser Enabled Keratoplasty with Zig-Zag Trephination. Ophthalmology. 2019 Jan; 38(1):42-49.
35. Akpek EK, Amescua G, Farid M, Garcia-Ferrer FJ, Lin A, Rhee MK, Varu DM, Musch DC, Dunn SP, Mah FS. Dry Eye Syndrome Preferred Practice Pattern. American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2019 Jan; 126(1):P286-P334.
36. Garcia-Ferrer FJ, Akpek EK, Amescua G, Farid M, Lin A, Rhee MK, Varu DM, Musch DC, Mah FS, Dunn SP. Corneal Ectasia Preferred Practice Pattern. American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2019 Jan; 126(1):P170-P215.
37. Farid M, Rhee MK, Apkek EK, Amescua G, Garcia-Ferrer FJ, Lin A, Varu DM, Musch DC, Mah FS, Dunn SP. Corneal Edema and Opacification Preferred Practice Pattern. American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2019 Jan; 126(1):P216-P285.
38. Varu DM, Rhee MK, Apkek EK, Amescua G, Farid M, Garcia-Ferrer FJ, Lin A, Musch DC, Mah FS, Dunn SP. Conjunctivitis Preferred Practice Pattern. American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2019 Jan; 126(1):P94-P169.
39. Lin A, Rhee MK, Apkek EK, Amescua G, Farid M, Garcia-Ferrer FJ, Varu DM, Musch DC, Dunn SP, Mah FS. Bacterial Keratitis Preferred Practice Pattern. American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2019 Jan; 126(1):P1-P55.
40. Amescua G, Apkek EK, Farid M, Garcia-Ferrer FJ, Lin A, Rhee MK, Varu DM, Musch DC, Dunn SP, Mah FS. Blepharitis Preferred Practice Pattern. American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2019 Jan; 126(1):P56-P93.
41. Starr CE, Gupta PK, Farid M, Beckman KA, Chan CC, Yeu E, Gomes JAP, Ayers BD, Berdahl JP, Holland EJ, Kim T, Mah FS. An algorithm for the preoperative diagnosis and treatment of ocular surface disorders. ASCRS Cornea Clinical Committee. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2019 May;45(5):669-684. Review.
42. Sahay P, Singhal D, Nagpal R, Maharana PK, Farid M, Gelman R, Sinha R, Agarwal T, Titiyal JS, Sharma N. Pharmacological therapy of mycotic keratitis. Survey of Ophthalmology. 2019 May - Jun;64(3):380-400. Review.
43. Paugh JR, Tse J, Nguyen T, Sasai A, Chen E, De Jesus MT, Kwan J, Nguyen AL, Farid M, Garg S, Jester JV. Efficacy of the fluorescein tear break up time test in dry eye. Cornea. 2019 Sep 9; E-pub ahead of print.
44. Tsai L, Shen E, Muniz Castro H, Wade M, Farid M. Femtosecond Laser-Assisted in Situ Keratomileusis Treatment of Residual Refractive Error following Femtosecond Laser-Enabled Keratoplasty. Journal of Ophthalmology. 2019 Aug 29.
45. Muniz Castro H, Tai AX, Sampson SJ, Wade M, Farid M, Garg S. Accuracy of intraocular lens power calculation using anterior chamber depth from two devices with Barrett Universal II Formula. Journal of Ophthalmology. 2019 Sep 23; 2019:8172615.
46. Beckman K, Gupta PK, Farid M, Berdahl JP, Yeu E, Ayres BD, Chan CC. Gomes J, Holland EJ, Kim T, Starr CE, Mah F. Corneal crosslinking: Current protocols and clinical approach. Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery. 2019 Nov;45(11):1670-1679.
47. Behshad S, Wade M, Farid M, Garg S. Surgical outcomes of endothelial keratoplasty safety-basket suture for management of difficult cases. Canadian Journal of Ophthalmology. 2019 Dec; Vol. 54, No. 6.
48. Farid M, Sabeti S, Minckler DS. Histopathological study of an explanted novel artificial corneal device. Cornea. 2020 Feb 7. (E-pub ahead of print)
49. Lu Y, Farid M, Garg S, Wade M. Exploring the 10-year incidence of endophthalmitis at a tertiary care academic referral practice. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. 2020 Apr. 46(4):641-643
50. Farid M, Sabeti S, Minckler DS. Histopathological study of an explanted novel artificial corneal device. Cornea. 2020 Jul;39(7):915-918.
51. Mehta U, Diep A, Nguyen K, Le B, Yuh C, Frambach C, Doan J, Wei A, Palma A, Farid M, Garg S, Kedhar S, Wade M, Jameson K, Kenney MC, Browne AW. Quantifying color vision changes associated with cataracts using cone contrast thresholds.” Translational Vision Science & Technology. 2020 Nov; 9(12): 11.
52. Farahani M, Minckler D, Chu J, Huynh K, Farid M. Combined epithelial, stromal, and anterior chamber ingrowth after penetrating keratoplasty. Cornea. 2021 Apr;40(4):506-508.
53. Mehta U, Farid M. Dupilumab induced limbal stem cell deficiency. International Medical Case Reports Journal. 2021 May 5; 14: 275–278.
54. Yeu E, Gomes J, Ayres B, Chan C, Gupta PK, Beckman KA, Farid M, Holland EJ, Kim T, Starr C, Mah F. Posterior lamellar keratoplasty: Techniques, outcomes, and recent advances. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. 2021 Mar 5. (E-pub ahead of print)
55. Gupta PK. Berdahl JP, Chan CC, Rocha KM, Yeu E, Ayres B, Farid M, Lee BW, Beckman KA, Kim T, Holland EJ, Mah FS. The corneal endothelium: A clinical review of endothelial cell health and function. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. 2021 Mar 18. (E-pub ahead of print)
2003 - present: American Academy of Ophthalmology
2004 - present: Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
2006 - present: Ophthalmic Women Leaders (OWL)
2006 - present: Orange County Cornea Society
2006 - present: American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
2007 - present: Orange County Society of Ophthalmology
2013 - present: Orange County Medical Association (OCMA)
2013 - present: California Medical Association (CMA)
2013 - present: Paton Society and the EBAA (Eye Bank Association of America)
2014 - present: ASCRS Cornea Clinical Committee
2014 - present: Scientific Programs Committee, Eye Bank Association of America
2014 - present: Member with Thesis, The Cornea Society (Founded as The Castroviejo Society in 1975)
2016: Judge for the Scientific Posters for ASCRS Cornea/Refractive Symposium
2017 - present: American-European Congress of Ophthalmic Surgery (AECOS)
2017-present: Cornea, External Disease, and Refractive Society (CEDARS) and the American Society of Progressive Enterprising Surgeons (ASPENS)
2017-2018: Preferred Practice Pattern (PPP), Cornea/External Disease Panel
2018: Member, CEDARS ASPENS 2018 Research Subcommittee
2020-2021 Member, Delphi Panel on Neurotrophic Keratitis
2020-present Member, Research Committee, Eye Bank Associatio
2020-present AUPO Cornea Fellowship Education Committee
2021-present Member, ASCRS Program Committee
2021-present Member, ASCRS Executive Committee
Gavin Herbert Eye Institute