Women's health across the lifespan, infertility, depression, qualitative research methods
2005 Empire Who’s Who in America
2004 Who’s Who in Education
2003 American Academy of Nursing, Fellow
2001-2003 NIMH/NINR Building the Capacity of Psychiatric Nursing Research
Selected as one of 16 nurse-scholars across the country to participate in this mentored program to encourage psychiatric nursing research. My mentor for this program was Dr. Ellen Frank, who continues to work closely with me.
2000-2001 Distinguished Writer for Sigma Theta Tau International (selected to be part of a mentoring group to mentor nurses in writing for publication)
1994 CARE Award (Creative Achievement in Reproductive Endocrinology) presented by the American Society for Reproductive Medicine (formerly the American Fertility Society) in association with Serono Pharmaceutical Company. This award was for nursing science in the area of reproductive endocrinology, recognizing the contributions of a nurse scientist to this field.
1992 Research Award (with Dr. Marie Annette Brown) National Organization of Nurse Practitioners Faculties, Research Award for Research Proposal to study nurse practitioners during their first year of transition to their new roles.
1986 American Nurses Foundation Scholar
1977 Lifetime Red Cross Nurse Award
1975 Sigma Theta Tau International, Nursing Honor Society lifetime membership,
1975 Graduation with Highest Honors - University of California, San Francisco School of Nursing, B.S. in Nursing, 1975
1972 Graduation with Distinction in General Scholarship - University of California, Berkeley, B.A. in Social Welfare, 1972
1968 Edward Frank Kraft Prize - University of California, Berkeley
Refereed Journal Articles
48. Shaver, J., Olshansky, E., Woods, N.F. (in press). Women’s health: A research agenda. Nursing Outlook.
47. Berg, J., Olshansky, E., Taylor, D., Shaver, J., Woods, N.F. (2012). Women’s health in jeopardy: Failure to curb unintended pregnancies: A statement from the AAN Women’s Health Expert Panel. Nursing Outlook, 60, (3), 163-164.
46. Hershberger, P.E., Gallo, A.M., Kavanaugh, K., Olshansky, E., Schwartz,
A., & Tur-Kaspa, I. (2012). The decision-making process of genetically
at-risk couples considering preimplantation genetic diagnosis: Initial
findings from a grounded theory study. Social Science & Medicine, 74, 1536-1543.
45. Olshansky, E. (2012). My daughter (or even my son) the nurse: Jews in nursing and the healing role of nurses. CCAR Journal: The Reform Jewish Quarterly, LIX(III), 25-33.
44. Zender, R., Olshansky, E. (in press). The biology of caring: Health consequences of patient-provider relationships. Biological Research in Nursing.
43. Olshansky, E., Lakes, K.D., Vaughan, J., Gravem, D., Rich, J.K., David, M., Nguyen, H., Cooper, D. (2012). Enhancing the construct and construct validity of rating scales for clinical research: Using qualitative methods to develop a rating scale to assess parental perceptions of their role in promoting infant exercise. International Journal of Educational and Psychological Assessment, 10 (1), 36-50.
42. Hershberger, P. E., Kavanaugh, K., Hamilton, R., Klock, S. C., Merry, L., Olshansky, E., et al. (2011). Development of an informational web site for recruiting research participants: Process, implementation, and evaluation. CIN: Computers, Informatics, Nursing.
41. Lindell, K.O., Olshansky, E., Song, M.K., Zullo, T.G., Gibson, K.F., Kaminski, N., Hoffman, L.A. (2010). Impact of a disease-management program on symptom burden and health-related quality of life in patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis and their care partners. Heart and Lung, 39 (4), 304-313.
40. Courtney, K. L., Lingler, J. H., Person Mecca, L., Garlock, L.A., Schulz, R., Dick, A.W., & Olshansky, E. (2010). Initial impressions of community-dwelling older adults and case managers about community-based telehealth kiosks. Research in Gerontological Nursing, 31,1-5.
39. Schlenk, E., Ross, D., Stilley, C., Dunbar-Jacob, J. Olshansky, E. (2009). Participation in clinical research among older adults with mobility limitation. Clinical Nursing Research.. 18 (4), 348-369.
38. Gravem, D., Lakes, K., Rich, J., Tehran, L., Cooper, D., Olshansky, E. (2009). Maternal perceptions of NICU infant exercise. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 38, 527-533.
37. Zender, R., Olshansky, E. (2009). Womens’ mental health: Depression and anxiety. Nursing Clinics of North America, 44 (3), 355-364.
36. Zender, R., Olshansky, E. (2009). Promoting wellness in women across the lifespan. Nursing Clinics of North America., 44 (3), 281-291.
35. Bryce, C.L., Zickmund, S., Hess, R., McTigue, K.M., Olshansky, E., Fitzgerald, K., Fischer, G. (2008). Value versus user fees: Perspectives of patients before and after using a web-based portal for management of diabetes. Telemedicine and e-Health, 14 (10), 1001-1009.
34. Olshansky, E., Sacco, D., Fitzgerald, K., Zickmund, S., Hess, R., Bryce, C., McTigue, K., Fischer, G. (2008). Living with diabetes: Normalizing the process of managing diabetes. The Diabetes Educator, 34 (6), 1004-1012.
33. Chasens, E., Olshansky, E. (2008). Daytime sleepiness, diabetes, and psychological wellbeing. Issues in Mental Health Nursing, 29, 1134-1150.
32. Hess, R., Olshansky, E., Ness, R., Bryce, C.L., Dillon, S., Kapoor, W., Chang, C-C H., Matthews, K.A. (2008). Pregnancy and birth history influences women’s experiences of menopause. Menopause – The Journal of the North American Menopause Society, 15 (3), 435-441.
31. Lawrence K, Stilley CS, Olshansky E, Bender A, Webber SA. (2008). Further exploration: Maturity and adherence in adolescent and young adult heart transplant recipients. Progress in Transplantation, 18 (1): 50-54.
30. Zickmund, S., Hess, R., Bryce, C., McTigue, K., Olshansky, E., Fitzgerald, K., Fischer, G. (2008). Interest in the Use of Computerized Patient Portals: Role of the Provider-Patient Relationship. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 23 (Suppl 1), 20-26.
29. Hess, R., Bryce, C. Paone, S., Fischer, G., McTigue, K., Olshansky, E, Zickmund, S. Fitzgerald, K., Siminerio, L. (2007). Exploring Challenges and Potentials of Personal Health Records in Diabetes Self-Management: Implementation and Initial Assessment. Telemedicine and e-Health, 13 (5), 509-517.
28. Handler, S.M., Perera, S., Olshansky, E.F., Studenski, S.A., Nace, D.A., Fridsma, D.B., Hanlon, J.T. (Nov 2007). Identifying modifiable barriers to medication error reporting in the nursing home setting. Journal of the American Medical Directors Association, 8 (9), 568-574.
27. Rosenblum, K., Olshansky, E. (2007). Building families: Diverse pathways to parenthood. Zero to Three Journal.
26. Chasens, E., Olshansky, E. (2006). The experience of being sleepy while managing type 2 diabetes. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 12 (5), 272-278.
25. Hess, R, Bryce, CL, McTigue, K, Fitzgerald, K, Olshansky, E, Zickmund, S, Fischer, G, (2006). The Diabetes Patient Portal: Patient perspectives on structure and delivery, Diabetes Spectrum, 92(2):106-10.
24. McTigue, K., Hess, R., Bryce, C., Fitzgerald, K., Olshansky, E., Sacco, D., Fischer, G. (2006). Perception of “healthy” body weight by patients with diabetes. Diabetes Care, 29 (3), 695-697.
23. Stilley CS, Lawrence K, Bender A, Olshansky E, Webber SA, Dew MA. (2006). Maturity & adherence in adolescent and young adult heart recipients. Pediatric Transplantation 2996: 10: 323-330
22. Watson, K.C., Kieckhefer, G.M., Olshansky, E. (2006). Striving for therapeutic relationships: Parent-provider communication in the developmental treatment setting. Qualitative Health Research, 16, 647-663.
21. Olshansky, E. (2005). Feeling normal: Women’s experiences of menopause after infertility. MCN: The American Journal of Maternal Child Nursing, 30 (3), 195-200.
20. Olshansky, E., Sacco, D., Braxter, B., Dodge, P., Huges, E., Ondeck, M. Stubbs, M. Upvall, M. (2005). Participatory action research to understand and reduce health disparities. Nursing Outlook, 53 (3), 21-26.
19. Liang, H.W. & Olshansky, E. (2005). The process of decision-making about care practices for children by caregivers who are Taiwanese temporary residents in the U.S.A. The Journal of Pediatric Nursing, 20 (6), 453-460.
18. Olshansky, E., Sereika, S. (2005). Depression and the transition to pregnancy and postpartum in previously infertile women. Archives of Psychiatric Nursing, 19 (6), 273-280.
17. Whitney, S.L., Jacob, R.G., Sparto, P.J., Olshansky, E., Detweiler-Shostak, G., Brown, E.L., Furman, J.M. (2005). Acrophobia and pathological height vertigo: indications for vestibular physical therapy. Physical Therapy, 85 (5), 443-458.
16. Olshansky, E. (2003). A theoretical explanation for previously infertile mothers’
vulnerability to depression. Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 35 (3), 23-268.
15. Sekula, K., Holmes, D., Zoucha, R., DeSantis, J., Olshansky, E. (2001). Forensic psychiatric nursing: Discursive practices and the emergence of a specialty. Journal of Psychiatric and Mental Health Nursing, 39 (9), 51-57.
14. Maxwell-Young, L., Olshansky, E., & Steele, R. (1998). Conducting feminist research in nursing: Personal and political challenges. Health Care for Women International, 19,505-513.
13. Brown, M.A. & Olshansky, E.F. (1998). Becoming a primary care nurse practitioner: Challenges of the first year of practice. Nurse Practitioner, 23 (7), 46-66.
12. Olshansky, E.F. (1998). What price progress? Readings: A Journal of Reviews and Commentary in Mental Health, 13 (2), 10-13.
11. Brown, M. A. & Olshansky, E. F. (1997). From limbo to legitimacy: A theoretical model of the transition to the primary care nurse practitioner role. Nursing Research, 46 (1), 46-51.
10. Olshansky, E. F. (1996). A counseling approach with persons experiencing infertility: Implications for advanced practice nursing. Advanced Practice Nursing Quarterly, 2(3), 42-47.
9. Olshansky, E. F. (1992). Redefining the concepts of success and failure in infertility treatment. NAACOGs Clinical Issues in Women’s Health and Perinatal Nursing, 3(2), 343-347.
8. Woods, N. F., Olshansky, E. F. & Draye, M. A. (1991). Infertility: Women’s experiences. Health Care for Women International, 12, 179-190.
7. Olshansky, E. F. (1988). Responses to high technology infertility treatment. Image: The Journal of Nursing Scholarship, 20(3), 128-131.
6. Olshansky, E. F. (1987). Infertility and its influence on women’s career identities. Health Care for Women International, 8(2,3), 185-196.
5. Conley, N. J. & Olshansky, E. F. (1987). Current controversies in pregnancy and epilepsy: A unique challenge for nursing. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 16(5), 321-328.
4. Olshansky, E. F. (1987). Identity of self as infertile: An example of theory-generating research. Advances in Nursing Science, 9 (2), 54-63.
3. Olshansky, E. F. & Sammons, L. N. (1985). Artificial insemination: An overview. Journal of Obstetric, Gynecologic, and Neonatal Nursing, 15 (6s), 49-54.
2. Gara (Olshansky), E. F. & Tilden, V. P. (1984). Adjusted control: One explanation for women’s positive perceptions of their pregnancies. Health Care for Women International, 5, 427-236.
1. Gara (Olshansky), E. F. (1981). Nursing protocal to improve the effectiveness of the contraceptive diaphragm. MCN: the American Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing, 6(1), 41-45.
Olshansky, E.F. (2000). Integrated women’s health: Holistic approaches for comprehensive care. Gaithersburg, MD: Aspen Publishing Company.
Olshansky, E. F. (1986, 1990). Fertility and infertility. In J. D. Neeson & K. A. May (Eds.),
Comprehensive Maternity Nursing. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott. (American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year, 1986).
Olshansky, E. F. (1987, 1990). Nursing assessment: Reproductive system. In S. Mantik & I.
C. Collier (Eds), Medical-Surgical Nursing: Assessment and Management of Clinical
Problems. New York: McGraw-Hill.
Lamb, M., Olshansky, E. F., Power, D., & Woods, N. F. (1987). Interventions for persons with problems of the reproductive system. In W. Phipps, B. Long, & N. F. Woods (Eds.), Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts and Clinical Practice (2nd ed.). St. Louis: C. V.
Catanzaro, M. & Olshansky, E. F. (1988). Evaluating research reports. In N. F. Woods & M. Catanzaro (Eds.), Nursing Research: Theory and Practice. St. Louis: C. V. Mosby. (Book received the 1988 American Journal of Nursing Book of the Year Award).
Phipps, W. J. & Olshansky, E. F. (1989). Sexually transmitted diseases. In B. C. Long & W. J. Phipps (Eds.), Medical-Surgical Nursing: A Nursing Process Approach (2nd ed.). St. Louis: C. V. Mosby.
Olshansky, E. (1990). In vitro fertilization, artificial insemination, and reproductive controls. In J. McCloskey & H. Grace (Eds.), Current Issues in Nursing (3rd ed.). St. Louis: C. V.
Olshansky, E. F. (1990). Altered parenting. In. G. K. McFarland & M. D. Thomas (Eds.), Psychiatric Mental Health Nursing: Nursing Diagnosis and Process. Philadelphia: J. B. Lippincott.
Olshansky, E. F. & Lamb, M. (1990). Management of women’s reproductive health problems. In W. Phipps, B. Long, & N. Woods (Eds.), Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts and Clinical Practice (3rd ed.). St. Louis: C. V. Mosby.
Olshansky, E. F. (1990). Management of sexually transmitted diseases. In W. Phipps, B. Long, & N. Woods (Eds.), Medical-Surgical Nursing: Concepts and Clinical Practice (3rd ed.). St. Louis: C. V. Mosby.
Hancock, L., Olshansky, E., Abrums, M., & McCarthy, A. M. (1990, 1994). The prenatal period. In C. Edelman & C. Mandle (Eds.), Health Promotion Throughout the Lifespan (2nd & 3rd eds.). St. Louis: C. V. Mosby.
Olshansky, E. (1990). Infectious and inflammatory disorders affecting reproductive function.
In M.L. Patrick, S.L. Woods, R.F. Craven, J.S. Rokosky, & P.M. Bruno (Eds.),
Medical-Surgical Nursing: Pathophysiological Concepts (2nd ed.). Philadelphia:
J.B. Lippincott. (3rd edition – 2006 – Olshansky, E., Sacco, D., Barr, T. – authors).
Olshansky, E. (1994). Maintaining personhood in the context of assisted reproductive technology. In. J. C. McCloskey & K. K. Grace (Eds.), Current Issues in Nursing (4th ed.). St. Louis: C. V. Mosby.
Cohen, S., Mitchell, E., Olesen, V., Olshansky, E., & Taylor, D. (1994). From female disease to women’s health. In A. Dan (Ed.), Reframing Women’s Health. CA: Sage.
Olshansky, E. (1996). The reproductive years. In J. Lewis, J. Bernstein & A. Paul-Simon (Eds.), Women Across the Life Cycle. Jones & Bartlett.
Olshansky, E. (1992, 1996, 1999, 2002, 2006). Human sexuality. In. R. Craven & C. Hirnle (Eds.) Fundamentals in Nursing. Philadelphia: J.B. Lippincott.
Olshansky, E. (1999). Infertility. In A.S. Hinshaw, S. Feetham, & J. Shaver (Eds.), Handbook of Clinical Nursing Research. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publishing Company.
Olshansky, E. (2005). Infertility: A feminist perspective. K.Schuiling and F. Likis (Eds),
Women’s Gynecologic Health, Bartlett and Jones Publishing Company.
Olshansky, E. (in press). The use of community-based participatory research to understand
and work with vulnerable populations. In De Chesnay, M., Anderson, B. (Eds). Caring for the Vulnerable, 2nd Edition. Jones and Bartlett Publishing Company.
Olshansky, E. (in press). Infertility. In Fogel, C., Woods, N.F. (Eds.)
2006-2010 Barriers to Antiviral Therapy for Veterans with Hepatitis C
Grant: IIR 05-281-1 HSR&D (Consultant)
2006-2010 Medicare Beneficiaries and High Cost Pharmaceuticals: Prescribing
Patterns, Treatment Adherence, and Patient Perceptions of Quality
K12 grant funded by NIH, PI: Julie Donohue, PhD, Graduate School of
Role on Project: Faculty Mentor for the qualitative portion of study.
The major goal of this project is to reduce cost-related underuse of
prescription drugs among elders with chronic medical conditions
2007-2011 Race and Tubal Sterilization
K12 grant pending review by NIH, PI: Sonya Borreo, MD, School of
Medicine, University of Pittsburgh
Role on Project: Faculty Mentor for the qualitative portion of the study.
2007-2008 Telemedicine: Kiosks for Elderly Patients
Rand Corporation and University of Pittsburgh Health Institute
P.I. Karen Courtnery
My Role on Project: Senior Mentor
2011-2014 Impact of Exercise on Body Composition in Premature Infants: New Approaches
Principal Investigator: Dan Cooper, MD
Role on Project: Co-Investigator
Council for the Advancement of Nursing Science (CANS)
American Academy of Nursing
Sigma Theta Tau International
American Holistic Nurses Association
American Nurses Association
National Organization of Nurse Practitioner Faculties