Heart Disease in pregnancy, Fetal Echocardiography, Preeclampsia, Anticoagulation in pregnancy
2nd Annual Kirk A. Keegan, Jr, MD, Resident Teaching Award, University of California, Irvine: 2009
Best Faculty Teaching Award- Osler OB/GYN Board Review: 2008
Best Teacher in Gynecology, University of Southern California: 2001
Ortho McNeil Award for scientific paper: 2001
Sutherland Memorial Gold Medal, Internal Medicine, King Edward Medical University: 1988
Silver Medal General Pathology, King Edward Medical University: 1986
Gold Medal, First Position in Pre- Medical: 1982
Dr. Hameed's research focuses on maternal cardiac disease, anticoagulation in pregnancy, and improving maternal morbidity and mortality. She maintains current funding for four active research projects looking specifically at cardiac disease and relationship to pregnancy with an emphasis on heart failure, valvular disease, and anticoagulation in pregnancy.
Orange County Physician of Excellence – Orange Coast Magazine:
2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008
Best Doctors 2018, 2017
Castle Connelly Exceptional Women in Medicine 2019, 2018, 2017
Castle Connelly Top Doctors 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017
America’s most honored professionals – Top 1% 2019, 2018, 2017
Southern California Super Doctors: 2019, 2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2012, 2008
Nominated for Who’s Who in America: 2017, 2015, 2014, 2011
Best Doctors of America – OC Metro Register: 2017, 2014, 2012, 2011
Top Obstetrician Gynecologist in Orange, CA. International Association of OB GYN: 2013
Top Perinatologists in the Nation - US News and World Report: 2012
Person of the year 2017. The Shane Foundation.
Dr. Hameed is a Maternal Fetal Medicine Specialist and a Cardiologist at the University of California, Irvine. She co-authored inter-conception care guidelines from ACOG in women with hypertension in the form of an algorithm to improve postpartum care and follow up. She serves on the California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative (CMQCC) Pregnancy Associated Mortality Review Advisory Committee (PAMR) that reviews all cases of maternal mortality to identify gaps in care for quality improvement opportunities. She co-chaired the Cardiovascular Toolkit and Venous Thromboembolism Toolkit published by CMQCC. Dr. Hameed served on the ACOG Presidential Task Force for publication of Practice Bulletin on Heart Disease in Pregnancy in 2019. She currently serve as an expert to help create Obstetrics Basic Life Support curriculum to integrate into the American Heart Association Life Support Program. She serves on the writing committee for Heart Rhythm Society’s “Arrhythmias in Pregnancy Guidelines”, scheduled release later in 2020. She also serves on the SMFM Quality and Patient Safety Committee. He goal is to eliminate preventable causes of maternal morbidity and mortality.
1. Goodwin TM, Gherman RB, Hameed A, Elkayam U. Favorable response of Eisenmenger syndrome to inhaled nitric oxide during pregnancy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 180:64-67, 1999.
2. Hameed AB, Tummala PP, Goodwin TM, Nuno I, Wani OR, Karaalp IS, Elkayam U. Unstable angina during pregnancy in two patients with premature coronary atherosclerosis and aortic stenosis in association with familial hypercholestrolemia. Am J Obstet Gynecol 182(5):1152-5, 2000.
3. Elkayam U, Tummala P, Rao K, Akhter M, Karaalp I, Wani O, Hameed A. Outcome of subsequent pregnancies in patients with peripartum cardiomyopathy. N Engl J Med 344(21):1567-72, 2001.
4. Hameed A, Karaalp IS, Tummala PP, Wani OR, Canetti M, Akhter MW, Goodwin I, Zapadinsky N, Elkayam U. The effect of valvular heart disease on maternal and fetal outcome of pregnancy. JACC 37(3):893-09, 2001.
5. Mack WJ, Hameed AB, Xiang M, Roy S, Slater CC, Stanczyk FZ, Lobo RA, Liu CH, Hodis HN. Does elevated body mass modify the influence of postmenopausal estrogen replacement on atherosclerosis progression: results from the estrogen in the prevention of atherosclerosis trial. Atherosclerosis 168(1):91-8, 2003.
6. Hameed A, Akhtar W, Bitar F, Khan S, Sarma, Goodwin T, Elkayam U. Left atrial thrombosis in pregnant women with mitral stenosis in sinus rhythm. Am J Obstet Gynecol 193:501-504, 2005.
7. Hameed AB, Rahimtoola SH. Pharmacologic Therapy for Heart Failure. Journal of the Saudi Heart Association 017(1) 2005.
8. Elkayam U, Akhter M, Singh H, Khan S, Bitar F, Hameed A, Shotan A. Pregnancy-associated cardiomyopathy. Clinical characteristics and a comparison between early and late presentation. Circulation 111:2050-2055, 2005.
9. Donnelly CT, Hameed AB, Abdenur JE, Wing DA. Carnitine Deficiency in Pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2007;110:1-1.
10. Hameed AB, Sklansky MS. Pregnancy: Maternal and Fetal Heart Disease. Curr Probl Cardiol 2007;32:419-494.
11. Hameed AB, Goodwin TM, Elkayam U. Effect of Pulmonary Stenosis on Pregnancy Outcomes – A case-control study. Am Heart J 2007;154:852-4.
12. Hameed AB, Chan K, Ghamsary M, Elkayam U. Longitudinal Changes in the B-Type Natriuretic Peptide Levels in Normal Pregnancy and Postpartum. Clinical Cardiology 2009; e-publication.
13. Willner JB, Hatfield TJ, Hameed AB. Successful Pregnancy after Aortic Stent - Graft in a Patient with Middle Aortic Syndrome. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2009;200(6):e4-e5.
14. Friedrich E, Hameed A. Fluctuations in the Anti-factor Xa levels with Therapeutic Enoxaparin Anticoagulation in Pregnancy. Journal of Perinatology advance online publication, 15 October 2009;loi:10.1038/jp.2009.164.
15. Hameed AB, Mehra A, Rahimtoola SH. The Role of Catheter Balloon Commisurotomy for Severe Mitral Stenosis in Pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2009;114(6):1336-1340.
16. Hameed AB, Shrivastava VK, Blair L, Wing DA. Intracranial Hemorrhage in Pregnancy. Am J Perinatol Rep 2012;00:1-4.
17. Hameed A. How not to miss Pregnancy Related Cardiomyopathy. Int J Cardiovasc Res 2013,2:5.
18. Johnston R, Swank M, Shrivastava V, Hameed AB. Patient-Prosthesis Mismatch in Pregnancy. Obstet Gynecol 2014; 123 (2, Part2): 441-443.
19. Mhyre JM, D’Oria R, Hameed AB, Lappen JR, Holley SL, Hunter SK, Jones RL, King JC, D’Alton ME. The Maternal Early Warning Criteria. Obstet Gynecol 2014;124:782-6.
20. Hameed AB, Steller, J. Cardiovascular disease in pregnancy. What OB Gyns need to know. Contemporary OB/GYN 2015;60(12):26-32.
21. Duffy JY, Hameed AB. Cardiovascular Disease Screening. Seminars in Perinatology 2015;39:264-267.
22. Hameed AB, Lawton ES, McCain CL, Morton CH, Mitchell C, Main EK, Foster E. Pregnancy Related Cardiovascular Deaths in California: Beyond Peripartum Cardiomyopathy. Am J Obstet Gynecol 2015;213:379.e1-10.
23. Lovell S, Bignami J, Bassioni N, Yu L, Hameed A. Noonan Syndrome – Cardiac Decomposition due to severe Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy in Pregnancy. JJ Gynec Obst 2016;3(3):034.
24. D’Alton ME, Friedman AM, Smiley RM, Montgomery DM, Paidas MJ, D’Oria R, Frost JL, Hameed AB, Karsnitz D, Levy BS, Clark SL. Consensus Statement. National Partnership for Maternal Safety. Consensus bundle on Venous Thromboembolism. Obstet Gynecol 2016;0:1-11.
25. D’Alton ME, Friedman AM, Smiley RM, Montgomery DM, Paidas MJ, D’Oria R, Frost JL, Hameed AB, Karsnitz D, Levy BS, Clark SL. Expert Opinion. National Partnership for Maternal Safety: Consensus bundle on Venous Thromboembolism. JOGNN 2016;45:706-717.
26. D’Alton ME, Friedman AM, Smiley RM, Montgomery DM, Paidas MJ, D’Oria R, Frost JL, Hameed AB, Karsnitz D, Levy BS, Clark SL. Narrative Review Article. National Partnership for Maternal Safety. Consensus bundle on Venous Thromboembolism. Anesth Analg 2016;123:942-9.
27. D’Alton ME, Friedman AM, Smiley RM, Montgomery DM, Paidas MJ, D’Oria R, Frost JL, Hameed AB, Karsnitz D, Levy BS, Clark SL. Consensus Statement. National Partnership for Maternal Safety. Consensus bundle on Venous Thromboembolism. Journal of Midwifery & Womens Health 2016;16 (5).
28. Hameed AB, Rahimtoola SH. Congenital Aortic Stenosis: Pregnancy is another Dimension. JACC 2016;68(16): 1738-40.
29. Khalil G, Hameed A. Preeclampsia: Pathophysiology and the Maternal-Fetal Risk. J Hypertens Manag 2017;3:024.
30. Turner K, Hameed AB. Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy Current Practice Review. Current Hypertension Reviews 2017;13;0.
31. Sheibani L, Lechuga TJ, Zhang H, Hameed A, Wing DA, Kumar S, Rosenfeld CR, Chen DB. Augmented H2S Production via Cystathionine-Beta-Synthase Upregulation Plays a Role in Pregnancy-Associated Uterine Vasodilation. Biol Reprod 2017; 96(3),664-672.
32. CMQCC CARDIOVASCULAR TOOLKIT- Co-Chair. California Department of Public Health, 2017; supported by Title V funds. Developed in partnership with California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative Cardiovascular Disease in Pregnancy and Postpartum Taskforce. www.CMQCC.org
33. CMQCC VENOUS THROMBOEMBOLISM TOOLKIT- Co-Chair. California Department of Public Health, 2018; supported by Title V funds. Developed in partnership with California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative Cardiovascular Disease in Pregnancy and Postpartum Taskforce. www.CMQCC.org
34. Simon R, Yang S, Hameed A. Bromocriptine use in Peripartum Cardiomyopathy: Review of cases. Am J Perinatol Rep 2018;8:e335–e342.
35. Wolfe SD, Hameed AB, Taub CC et. al. Call to Action: Addressing Maternal Mortality. AJOG, February 2019;167-173. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2018.09.035
36. ACOG Practice Bulletin #212. Pregnancy and Heart Disease. Presidential Task Force on Pregnancy and Heart Disease. May 2019.
37. Shellhaas CS, Zaharatos J, Clyton L, Hameed AB. Expert Review: Examination of a death due to cardiomyopathy by a maternal mortality review committee. AJOG 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2019.01.211
38. Patburg, L, Duffy, J, Hameed, AB. Rupture of a Type B Aortic Dissetion in a Postpartum Patient with Marfan Syndrome. Am J Perinatol Rep 2019 (accepted for publication)
39. Combs CA, Hameed AB, Friedman AM, Hoskins IA. Special Statement: Proposed quality Metrics to Assess Accuracy of Prenatal Detection of Congenital Heart Defects. AJOG February 2020 https://www.ajog.org/article/S0002-9378(20)30228-3/fulltext
40. Cho SH, Leonard SA, Lyddon A, Main EK, Abrams B, Hameed AB, Carmichael SL. Pre-pregnancy Obesity and the Risk of Peripartum Cardiomyopathy. AJP 2020 in press.
41. Combs CA, Davidson C, Einerson B, Hameed AB, Toner L. SMFM Special Statement: Who’s Who in Patient Safety and Quality for Maternal Health Care in the United States. April 6th 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2020.03.037
42. Matters of the Heart: Cardiovascular Health in Women Throughout Their Lifetimes. Obstet Gynecol Clin North Am. 2019 Sep; 46(3):515-525. PMID: 31378292
43. In Reply. Obstet Gynecol. 2019 10; 134(4):882. Hameed AB, Connolly HM, Turrentine MA, Martin JN. In Reply. Obstet Gynecol. 2019 10; 134(4):882. PMID: 31568353.
Editor: Cardio-Obstetrics: A Practical Guide to Care for Pregnant Cardiac Patients. Published April 2020. CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group.
2020 Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation grant $326,195. Implementation of measure: Diagnosis of Cardiovascular Disease in Pregnant and Postpartum Women
2019 Shane Foundation Grant $10,000. Anticoagulation Profile in Pregnant Women treated with three times a day of Low Molecular Weight Heparin
Health Research and Quality grant as co-investigator $250,000. Improving communication and perinatal outcomes with the use of standardized handoffs for nurses, residents and staff physicians. Completed in 2016
Memorial Foundation Pre and post dose factor X a levels in pregnant patients on low molecular weight heparin – completed 2007
Fellow, American Congress of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Fellow, American College of Cardiology
Member, Society for Maternal Fetal Medicine
Member, American Heart Association
Member, American College of Physicians
Member, American institute of Ultrasound Medicine