geriatrics, elder abuse, advanced care planning, dementia
Board Certified - American Board of Family Practice, and Geriatric Medicine
2019 UCI Engage Faculty Great Partner Award
Recognition for excellence, innovation, and effectiveness in teaching/research
that demonstrates community collaboration, institutional impact, and deeply
engaged, high quality learning and research
Orange County Medical Association Physicians of Excellence Award
Best Hospital by U.S. News & World Report; Ranked #42 for Geriatrics.
2017 Physician of the Year, Orange County Medical Association
Orange County Medical Association Physicians of Excellence Award ARIISE
finalist for Innovation, UC Irvine
2016 Orange County Medical Association Physicians of Excellence Award 2015
Orange County Medical Association Physicians of Excellence Award
Best Doctor® in America in Geriatric Medicine Best Doctors, Inc.
Best Hospital by U.S. News & World Report; Nationally Ranked 43rd for
2014 Orange County Medical Association Physicians of Excellence Award
Outstanding EduProjects 2013-2014 Project: GeriTeam iPhone app – an
Interprofessional Health Education App for Geriatrics Care Teams (launched in
the Apple App Store)
Best Doctor® in America in Geriatric Medicine Best Doctors, Inc.
America’s Best Hospital by U.S. News & World Report; Nationally Ranked 39th
2013 Orange County Medical Association Physicians of Excellence Award
Best Doctor® in America in Geriatric Medicine Best Doctors, Inc. America’s
Best Hospital by U.S. News & World Report; Ranked 30th for Geriatrics.
Fellow of the American Geriatrics Society, awarded May 2012, Baltimore, MD.
2012 The UCOP University of California’s Center for Quality and Innovation
Fellowship Program Award recipient
Office of Educational Affairs MVP Outstanding Service Award, UC Irvine School
2007-2009 Orange County Medical Association Physicians of Excellence Award
2005 Primary Care Physician of the Month, Primary Care Medical Group, UC Irvine
SAGE Program of the Year Recipient: UCI Medical Center Health Assessment
Program for Seniors
Director of Health Assessment Program for Seniors (HAPS).
2003 Primary Care Physician of the Month, Primary Care Medical Group, UC Irvine
1996 Dean’s Award for Outstanding Community Service Stanford University School
1. Gibbs L. Mosqueda L. Clinics Review Articles: Clinics in Geriatric Medicine; Medical Implications of Elder Abuse and Neglect. McCool J, editor. Philadelphia (PA): 2014 November. Available from http://www.theclinics.com
1. Shapiro J, Gibbs L: Souls on a Walk: An Enduring Love Story Unbroken by Alzheimer’s, Book Review, Family Medicine, 6:2, February 2014.
ONLINE CURRICULUM PUBLICATIONS
1. Akasheh, A, Gibbs, L, Mosqueda, L, Taheri, N, Chakravarthy, B, Fox, J and Lotfipour, S. Geriatric Emergency Medicine Online Curriculum (GEM-OC) 1 - Advance Directives. POGOe - Portal of Geriatric Online Education; 2010 http://www.pogoe.org/productid/20800
2. Gibbs, L, Sehgal, S and Abrams, A. Student/Senior Partner Program (SSPP)-Medical Student Handbook. POGOe - Portal of Geriatric Online Education; 2011 http://www.pogoe.org/productid/20785
3. Gibbs, L. Syllabus for an Internal Medicine Residency Program Rotation in Geriatrics. POGOe - Portal of Geriatric Online Education; 2011 http://www.pogoe.org/productid/20786
4. Lisa Gibbs, MD, University of California, Irvine, John Halphen, MD and Sabrina Pickens, PhD, University of Texas Houston. Elder Abuse (Mrs. James). POGOe - Portal of Geriatrics Online Education; 2013 Available from: http://www.pogoe.org/webgem/9499
5. Gibbs L, Sehgal S, Austin R. “Elder Abuse Simulation”, University of California, Irvine, http://www.pogoe.org/productid/21718, June 2014.
6. GeriTeam Communication: Gibbs L, Olsen B, Youm J, O’Toole E. University of California, Irvine, 2014; www.pogoe.org/productid/21764, October 2014.
7. “Responding to Physical Elder Abuse and Neglect” 2 hour eLearning course, UC Irvine Center on Elder Abuse & Neglect, California Geriatric Education Center and the Academy for Professional Excellence. email@example.com.
8. Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Project Podcast Series director and presenter. (ADD)
1. Jewett BA, Gibbs LM, Tarasiuk A, Kendig JJ: “Propofol and Barbiturate Depression of Spinal Nociceptive Neurons”, Anesthesiology, December 1992.
2. Gibbs LM, Kendig JJ: “Substance P and NMDA Receptor-Mediated Slow Potentials in Neonatal Rat Spinal Cord: Aged Related Changes”, Brain Research, Vol. 595, 1992.
3. Kendig JJ, Kodee A, Gibbs LM, Ionescu P, Eger E: “Correlates of Anesthetic Properties in Isolated Spinal Cord: Cyclobutane”, European Journal of Pharmacology, 264(3):427-36, 1994.
4. Tarasuik A, Gibbs LM, Kendig JJ: “Descending Inhibition in Neonatal Rat Spinal Cord Actions of Pentobarbital and Morphine”, Brain Research Bulletin, 41:37-45, 1996.
5. Wiglesworth A, Austin R, Corona M, Schneider D, Liao S, Gibbs L, Mosqueda L.: “Bruising as a Marker of Physical Elder Abuse”, Journal American Geriatrics Society. 2009 Jul;57(7):1191-6. Epub 2009 June 3.
6. Wiglesworth A, Mosqueda L, Mulnard R, Liao S, Gibbs L, Fitzgerald W: “Screening for Abuse and Neglect of People with Dementia”, Journal American Geriatrics Society. 58(3), 493-500 (2010).
7. Mosqueda L, Wiglesworth A, Gibbs L: “The Ability of People with Dementia to Recall Emotional Life Events” Abstract, International Conference on Alzheimer’s Disease, Honolulu, HI, July 13, 2010.
8. Mosqueda, M., Wiglesworth, A., Moore, A.A., Nguyen, A.L., Gironda, M.W., Gibbs, L. Variability in Findings from Adult Protective Services Investigations of Elder Abuse in California. Journal of Evidence Based Social Work, 2016;13(1):34-44.
9. Lee DR, Kawas CH, Gibbs L, Corrada MM., Prevalence of Frailty and Factors Associated with Frailty in Individuals Aged 90 and Older: The 90+ Study, J Am Geriatric Soc. 64:2257- 2262, 2016.
10. Kim HJ, Kehoe P, Gibbs LM, Lee JA: “Caregiving Experience of Dementia among Korean American Family Caregivers”, Issues Mental Health Nursing 2019 Feb; 40(2): 158-165, doi: 10.1080/01612840.2018.1534909. Epub 2019 Jan 8.
11. Nguyen H, Lee JA, Sorkin DH, Gibbs L: “Living happily despite having an illness”, Perceptions of healthy aging among Korean American, Vietnamese American, and Latino older adults; App. Nurse Res. 2019 Aug; 48:30-36. doi: 10.1016/j.apnr.2019.04.002. Epub 2019 May 10.
12. Lee, JA., Kim, HJ., Nguyen, H., Le, K., Sorkin, D., & Gibbs, L. (2019, April). Asian older immigrants’ perceptions on depression, dementia, and elder abuse. Western Institute of Nursing annual meeting, San Diego, CA. (Best Research Poster Award)
13. Walling, AM, Sudore, RL, Bell, D, Tseng, C, Ritchie, C, Hays, RD, Gibbs, L, Rahimi, M, Sanz, J, and Wenger, NS: “Population-Based Pragmatic Trial of Advance Care Planning in Primary Care in the University of California Health System”, Journal of Palliative Medicine,Vol. 22, No. S1 | Advance Care Planning Studies; https://doi.org/10.1089/jpm.2019.0142. Epub 2019 August 22
14. Lee, JA. Campbell, S., Rousseau, J., Di Sano, A., Gibbs, L. (2020, April). Geriatric in-home caregivers’ support: a community and academic partnership for cultural and linguistic tailored education. Journal of American Geriatrics of Society, Supplement Page 8. https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.16432. (Presidential Best Paper Award).
15. Burton, C., Lee, JA, Waalen, A., & Gibbs, L. (2019). “Things are Different Now But”: Older LGBT adults’ experiences and unmet needs in health care. Journal of Transcultural Nursing, 19;1043659619895099. doi: 10.1177/1043659619895099. Online ahead of print. PMID: 31854263 (In Press)
1. Jerant AF and Gibbs L: “Development of a Distance and Computer Technologies in Medicine Elective”, The Journal of Information Technology in Medicine, January 2000, Vol. 2, #1, htttp://www.-itm.com/articles/tmedelrv/index/html.
2. Hixon A and Gibbs L: “Osteochondritis Dissecans: A Diagnosis Not to Miss”, American Family Physician, January 1, 2000.
3. Neyhart B and Gibbs L: “Osteoporosis,” Primary Care Geriatrics, Ham, Sloan and Warshaw eds., Mosby Publishing, 2002.
4. Gibbs L and Mosqueda L: “Confronting Elder Mistreatment in Long-Term Care”, Annals in Longterm Care, 12(4), April 2004.
5. Gibbs L, Mosqueda L and Morrison E: “Primary Care of Adults with Disabilities”, AAFP Home Study Monograph, November 2006.
6. Gibbs L and Mosqueda L: “The Importance of Reporting Mistreatment of the Elderly”, Editorial for the American Family Physician, 75(5), March 2007.
7. Gibbs L and Young L: “The Medical Director’s Role: Neglect in Long-Term Care” Journal of the American Medical Director’s Association, 8:3, March 2007.
8. Gibbs L, Mosqueda L, Chen E, Williams B, Martinez R: Geriatric Pocket Doc, August 2007. (A resource for allied professionals in the field of Elder Abuse)
9. Gibbs L: “Assessing Self-Neglect in Older Patients”, Ethics Forum, http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2008/08/04/prca0804.htm, August 4, 2008, Accessed August 12, Amednews.com, 2008.
10. Gibbs, L and Mosqueda L: “Elder Abuse: A Medical Perspective”, Aging Health, December 2010, Vol. 6, No. 6, Pages 739-747.
11. Gibbs L, Mosqueda L, Chen E, Williams B, Martinez R: Geriatric Pocket Doc. (A resource for allied professionals in the field of Elder Abuse). 2nd edition, 2012 Expanded version.)
12. Vognar, L, Gibbs, L M, Care of the Victim. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, 30:4, Pgs 869-880, Nov 2014.
13. Gibbs, L. Understanding the Medical Markers of Elder Abuse and Neglect: Physical Examination Findings. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, 30:4, Pgs 687-712, Nov 2014.
14. Gibbs LM, Mosqueda L. Editors: Medical Implications of Elder Abuse and Neglect. Clinics in Geriatric Medicine, 30:4. November 2014.
15. Gibbs LM, Carico C, Walden L: The (Folstein) Mini-Mental State Exam: Just how useful is it for assessing capacity?, Trust and Estates Quarterly, California Bar Association, Vol 24, Issue 2., 2018.
16. A Practical Guide to Addressing the Social Needs of Older Adults by West Health Institute and University of California, Irvine, https://www.westhealth.org/resource/addressing-the-social-needs-of-older-adults-a-practical-guide-to-implementing-a-screening-and-referral-program-in-clinical-settings/, 2020.
1. Forensic Skills Seek to Uncover Hidden Patterns of Elder Abuse, The New York Times September 27, 2006.
2. Interview: Satellite radio station and web portal Reach MD (XM Radio XM157), “Elder Abuse: Neglect”, October 2008.
3. Teaching Doctors What Older Patients Need, Orange County Business Journal, July 27- August 2, 2009 Vol. 32 No. 30.
4. Panelist: Expert Chat Webinar: Forensic Markers and Elder Abuse March 2011, http://innovations.harvard.edu/event/elder-abuse-series-forensic-markers.
5. Guest speaker: REAL ORANGE at PBS SoCal. Topic: UCI Medical Center Geriatrics Program Recognized In US News & World Report, July 2012.
6. Lisa Gibbs Innovation Profile, October 31, 2012, health.universityofcalifornia.edu/2012/10/31/innovationprofile-lisa-gibbs/.
7. UCI Implementing New Model for Patient-Centered Senior Care – Physicians News Network: OC County, December 1, 2013.
8. UC Irvine Ageless Lessons in Doctoring – Senior partners offer first-year medical students an Education in caring for older adults, Orange County Register, January 6, 2014.
9. GERiteam Mobile App, designed to promote communication and collaboration within outpatient Geriatric health care teams. February 14, 2014. Published in the Apple Store for learners in Interdisciplinary Team Training and Geriatrics, Olsen B, Youm J, Gibbs L and O’Toole E. University of California, Irvine, 2014.
10. SeniorHealth Center is designated as patient-centered medical home. October 7, 2014. Published in UC HEALTH.
11. Interviewed for, 'Where was I supposed to go?' Pilot program helps elder abuse victims, whose O.C. numbers are on the rise. The Orange County Register, March 23, 2015.
12. “How to Detect Elder Abuse” Warnings Signs to detect Elder Abuse. U.S. News & World Report, September 28, 2015.
13. “Grant to fund training for geriatric healthcare workers”, California Health Report September 28, 2015.
14. “Holidays a time for celebration with older relatives, friends and to recognize their needs”, UC Irvine Health, November 16, 2015
15. “Big money in nursing home therapy, but is all the treatment necessary?” OC Register, February 29, 2016.
16. “Clashes at nursing homes not uncommon”, HealthDay, June 13, 2016, and Arizona Daily Star, Associated Press, June 2016.
17. Living Well, UC Irvine, Summer 2017.
18. Orange Coast Magazine feature for Physician of the Year, June 2017
19. NPR Radio, Larry Mantel show: Mental Health of Older Adults during COVID, March 2020
20. NPR Radio: Food program: Shopping Hours for Seniors, March 2020
21. “Phone pals? For UC Irvine med and nursing students students, and older people dodging the virus, a call can be a lifeline.” OC Register, June 2020
Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program (GWEP): Technology Advanced Geriatrics: Together Educating, Advocating, and Mentoring (TAG-TEAM), funded by US HHS-HRSA
Population-Based Comparison of Evidence-Based, Patient Centered Advanced Care Planning Interventions (UCLA Primary Site), funded by PCORI
Orange County Harm Reduction Initiative: Combination of Trauma Informed Care & Case Management, funded by Administration for Community Living
Elder Abuse Forensic Center, funded by the County of Orange
Social Work Intervention for Transforming Dementia Health Care (SWIFT-DC), funded by UniHealth Foundation
Women's Health Project - Orange County Health and Domestic Violence System Integration Project, funded by BlueShield of California Foundation
Orange County Community Eldercare Project, funded by Altarum Institute
CRAFT Award for COVID-19: Basic, Translational, and Clinical Research Funding Opportunity, funded by UCI Office of the Vice Chancellor of Research
Assisting and Supporting Socially Isolated Seniors through Telehealth in the COVID-19 Pandemic (ASSIST), funded by CARES Act
American Association of Family Practice
American Geriatrics Society
Vulnerable Adult Specialist Team/Orange County Forensic Center
Elder Death Review Team, Orange County
Society for Teachers in Family Medicine
Association of the Directors of Geriatric Academic Programs
Orange County Medical Association
NAGE (National Association for Geriatric Education)
Orange County Aging Services Collaborative (OCASC)
Orange County Healthy Aging Initiative (OCHAI)