Air Pollution. Human exposures to air pollution, Indoor air pollution, Paint emissions, Emissions of climate altering pollutant species, Health co-benefits
Dr Edwards was awarded the 2009 Joan M. Daisey Outstanding Young Scientist Award by the International Society of Exposure Science.
Post-Doctoral researcher at the Finnish National Institute of Public Health, Kuopio, Finland. Analysis of Air Pollution Exposure Distributions of Adult Populations in Helsinki, as part of a European Union 4th Framework RTD Program funded multi-center study - EXPOLIS. Sponsored by the National Academy of Sciences, Finland. (1999 - 2000)
Research Associate with Kirk Smith University of California, Berkeley.
Analysis of emissions form household solid fuel use; Evaluation of the Chinese national improved stove program; Particle monitor development
Dr. Edwards' research focuses on human exposures to air pollution emissions and subsequent health effects. These include populations in the industrialized world exposed to combustion byproducts from transportation, wildfires and tobacco smoke, and populations in less industrialized nations exposed to emissions from household solid fuel use for cooking and space heating. Dr Edwards was a member of the WHO Indoor Air Quality Guidelines Development Group (GDG) to establish air quality guidelines for household combustion sources, and was lead convening author for the evidence chapter on emissions from household solid fuel use, and a lead author for the chapter on models to link household energy use with indoor air quality. Dr Edwards was also consultant to the WHO to develop the Household Energy Assessment Rapid Tool (HEART) to conduct rapid situational assessments and stakeholder mapping of a country’s readiness to address access to clean energy technologies and has worked with the WHO Urban Health Initiative to identify evidence based strategies to reduce the burden of air pollution in Accra, Ghana, and Katmandu Nepal. Dr Edwards was senior international air pollution consultant to UNICEF Mongolia to address effects of air pollution from rapid urbanization on children’s health which included convening a workshop of international experts on air pollution and health in Ulaanbaatar and drafting the 2016 UNICEF report “Understanding and addressing the impact of air pollution on children’s health in Mongolia”. Dr Edwards was also senior maternal and child health and air pollution consultant to the Asia Development Bank and UNICEF culminating in the 2019 ADB and UNICEF report “Addressing the impacts of prenatal and early life exposures to air pollution in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia”. He also serves on the Environment/Climate Advisory Committee for the Global Alliance for Clean Cookstoves.
31. Chowdhury Z., Edwards R.D., Johnson M., Naumoff Shields K., Allen T., Canuz E., Smith K.R., 2007. An inexpensive light-scattering particle monitor: field validation. Journal of Environmental Monitoring, 9 (10), 1099-1106
32. Berrueta, V., Edwards R.D., and Masera O.R., 2008. Energy performance of woodburning cookstoves in Michoacan, Mexico. Renewable Energy 33, 859–870
33. Johnson M.J., Edwards R.D., Alatorre Frenk C., Masera O. 2008. In-field greenhouse gas emissions from cookstoves in rural Mexican households. Atmospheric Environment. 42, 1206–1222
34. Amendariz Arnez C., Edwards R.D., Johnson M.J., Zuk M., Rojas-Bracho L., Serrano P., Riojas-Rodríguez H., Masera O.R., 2008. Reductions in personal exposures and indoor concentrations of PM and CO in rural Mexico as a result of the installation of a Patsari Improved Cook Stove. Indoor Air, 18: 93–105
35. Johnson, M., Edwards, R., Ghilardi, A., Berrueta, V., Gillen, D., Frenk, C.A., Masera, O. 2009. Quantification of Carbon Savings from Improved Biomass Cookstove Projects. Environmental Science & Technology, 43(7), 2456-2462.
36. Allen-Piccolo G., Rogers J.V., Edwards R.D., Clark M.C., Allen T.T., Ruiz-Mercado I, Shields K.N., Canuz E., Smith K.R. 2009. An Ultrasound Personal Locator for Time-Activity Assessment, Internl J Occup and Environ Health, 15 (2): 122-132
37. Edwards R.D. Jantunen M.J. 2009. Subgroups exposed to systematically different elemental compositions of PM2.5. Atmospheric Environment 43 (2009) 3571–3578
38. Smith K.R., McCracken J.P., Thompson L., Edwards R.D., Shields K.N., Canuz E., Bruce N. 2009. Personal Child and Mother Carbon Monoxide Exposures and Kitchen Levels: Methods and Results from a Randomized Trial of Woodfired Chimney Cookstoves in Guatemala (RESPIRE) Journal of Exposure Science and Environmental Epidemiology pp1-11
39. Johnson, M., Edwards, R., Masera, O. Improved stove programs need robust methods to estimate carbon offsets. Climatic Change (2010) 102:641–649
40. Edwards R.D., Lam N.L., Zhang L., Johnson M.A., Kleinman M.T., 2009. NO2 and Ozone as factors in the availability of lead from lead based paints. Environmental Science and Technology 43 (22), pp 8516–8521
41. Cohan A.J., Edwards R.D., Kleinman M.T., Dabdub D., 2009. Potential for Atmospheric Driven Lead Paint Degradation in the South Coast Air Basin of California. Environmental Science and Technology. 43 (23), pp 8881–8887
42. Johnson M.J., Edwards R.D., Berrueta V., Masera O. 2009. New Approaches to Performance Testing of Improved Cook Stoves. Environmental Science and Technology 44, pp368–374
43. Wu J., Edwards R.D., Lejano R., Kleinman M.T., 2010. Spatial Analysis of Soil Lead Concentrations in Los Angeles, California. Environmental Research 110, pp 309–317
44. Armendáriz Arnez C., Edwards R.D., Johnson M.J., Rosas I.A., Espinosa F.J., Masera O.R. 2010. Indoor particle size distributions in homes with open fires and improved Patsari cook stoves in Mexico. Atmospheric Environment 44 2881-2886
45. García-Frapolli E, Berrueta V.M., Riojas-Rodríguez H., Schilmann A., Edwards R.D., Johnson M., Guevara A., Armendariz C., Masera O.R. 2010. Beyond Fuelwood Savings: Valuing the economic benefits of introducing improved biomass cookstoves in the Purhepecha region, Mexico. Ecological Economics 69, pp 2598–2605
46. Mestl H.E.S., Edwards R.D. 2011. Global burden of disease as a result of indoor air pollution in Shaanxi, Hubei and Zhejiang, China. Science of the Total Environment 409 1391–1398
47. Pine K., Edwards R.D., Masera O.R., Schilmann A., Marrón-Mares A., Riojas-Rodríguez H. Adoption and Use of Improved Biomass Stoves in Rural Mexico. Energy for Sustainable Development. June 2011
48. Boarnet M.G., Houston D., Edwards R.D., Princevac M., Ferguson G., Pan H., Bartolome C., 2011. Fine Particulate Concentrations on Sidewalks in Five Southern California Cities Atmospheric Environment 45 pp4025-4033
UCI Genetic Epidemiology Research Institute (GERI)