Melanoma, Mycosis Fungoides, Skin Cancer, Cutaneous Lymphoma, Chemoprevention, Skin Imaging
Dr. Linden joined the Dermatology faculty in July 1998 and has a joint appointment in dermatology and in the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center as a Professor. He earned his Bachelor of Science degree and Ph.D. in biochemistry from the University of California, Davis. Dr. Linden earned his M.D. from the University of California, Irvine. He completed his internship at the University of California, San Diego and returned to UCI for his dermatology residency.
Dr. Linden is a Diplomate of the American Board of Dermatology and a Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology. He is also member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Chemical Society, and the Southwest Oncology Group. Dr. Linden's major area of interest in research is skin cancer, particularly melanoma.
Dr. Linden sees patients at the Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center in Orange in the Melanoma Center, as well as practices general and surgical dermatology in Irvine at The Dermatology Center at the Gottschalk Medical Plaza, University of California Irvine.
1. Linden, K. G., and Benisek, W. F. (1986) Amino Acid Sequence of a ?5-3-Oxosteroid
Isomerase from Pseudomonas putida Biotype B. J. Biol. Chem. 261(14), 6454-6460.
2. Hasan, T., Chen, N., Anderson, T., Deak, M. R., Linden, K., Granstein, R., Zurawski, V. R., Jr., and Flotte, T.
(1989) Immunologic Targeting of Cancer Cells. Proceedings of the SPIE, Fundamentals of Photodynamic
Therapy, Editor Thomas J. Dougherty, Los Angeles, Vol. 1065.
3. Linden, K. G., Liao, J. C., and Jay, D. G. (1992) Spatial Specificity of Chromophore Assisted
Laser Inactivation of Protein Function. Biophysical Journal 61 (4), 956-962.
4. Jeffes III, E. W. B., Lee, G. C., Said, S., Sabahi, M., McCullough, J. L., Herrod, R., Alzona, C. P.,
Linden, K. G., Soundararajan, D., Edwards, S., and Weinstein, G. D. (1995) Elevated Numbers of Proliferating Mononuclear Cells in the Peripheral Blood of Psoriatic Patients Cor-
relate with Disease Severity. Journal of Investigative Dermatology 105 (6); 733-738.
5. Lebwohl, M., Ellis, C., Gottlieb, A., Koo, J., Krueger, G., Linden, K., Shupack, J., and Weinstein, G. (1998)
Cyclosporine consensus conference: with emphasis on the treatment of psoriasis.
Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 39(3):464-75.
6. Linden, K.G., Weinstein, G.D. (1999) Use of methotrexate in psoriasis. Dermatologic Therapy, 11:52-59.
7. Linden, K.G., Weinstein, G.D. (1999) Psoriasis: current perspectives with an emphasis on treatment.
Am. J. Med. 107(6):595-605.
8. Hui JI, Linden KG, and Barr RJ. (2002) Desmoplastic Malignant Melanoma of the Lip.
Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, 47(6):863-8.
9. Barr RJ, Linden KG, Rubinstein G, and Cantos KA. (2003) Analysis of heterogeneity of atypia within melanocytic nevi. Archives in Dermatology, 139(3):289-292.
10. Linden KG, Carpenter PM, McLaren CE, Barr RJ, Hite P, Sun JD, Li K-T, Viner JL, and Meyskens FL. Chemoprevention of Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer: Experience with a Polyphenol from Green Tea.
Recent Results in Cancer Research, 2003 163:165-171.
11. Gottlieb AB, Kang S, Linden KG, Lebwohl M, Menter A, Abdulghani AA, Goldfarb M, Chieffo N, Totoritis MC.
Evaluation of safety and clinical activity of multiple doses of the anti-CD80 monoclonal antibody, galiximab, in patients with moderate to severe plaque psoriasis. Clin Immunol. 2004 Apr;111(1):28-37.
12. Linden KG. Screening and early detection of skin cancer. Curr Oncol Rep. 2004 Nov;6(6):491-6.
13. Carpenter PM, Linden KG, McLaren CE, Li K-T, Arain S, Barr RJ, Hite P, Sun JD, and Meyskens FL
Nuclear morphometry and molecular biomarker studies of actinic keratoses, sun-damaged, and non sun-damaged skin. Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention, 2004 Dec;13(12):1996-2002.
14. Cassarino DS, Linden KG, and Barr RJ. Cutaneous Keratocyst Arising Independently of the Nevoid Basal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome. American Journal of Dermatopathology, 2005 Apr;27(2):177-8.
15. Sun JD, and Linden KG. Netherton Syndrome: A case report and review of literature. International Journal of Dermatology, 2006 Jun;45(6):693-7.
16. Kappel ST, Wu JJ, Hillman JD, Linden KG. Histopathologic findings of disseminated coccidioidomycosis with hyphae. Arch Dermatol. 2007 Apr;143(4):548-9.
17. Ortiz AE, Wu JJ, Linden KG. Clear Margins after the Use of Imatinib Mesylate prior to Resection of Extensive
Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans. Dermatol Surg. 2008 May 28.
18. Breneman D, et. al. Intermittent therapy for flare prevention and long-term disease control in stabilized atopic dermatitis: a randomized comparison of 3-times-weekly applications of tacrolimus ointment versus vehicle. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008 Jun;58(6):990-9. Epub 2008 Mar 21.
19. Phillips TJ, et. al. Does hormone therapy improve age-related skin changes in postmenopausal women? A randomized, double-blind, double-dummy, placebo-controlled multicenter study assessing the effects of norethindrone acetate and ethinyl estradiol in the improvement of mild to moderate age-related skin changes in postmenopausal women. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2008 Sep;59(3):397-404.e3. Epub 2008 Jul 14.
20. Paller AS, et. al. Tacrolimus Ointment Study Group. Three times weekly tacrolimus ointment reduces relapse in stabilized atopic dermatitis: a new paradigm for use. Pediatrics. 2008 Dec;122(6):e1210-8. Epub 2008 Nov 17.
21. Fife DJ, Wu JJ, Behnam SE, Linden KG. Sunitinib-induced hand-foot syndrome: a new, distinct form. Clin Exp Dermatol. 2010 Mar;35(2):200-1.
22. Bertoni JM, et. al. Increased melanoma risk in Parkinson disease: a prospective clinicopathological study. Arch
Neurol. 2010 Mar;67(3):347-52.
23. Elmets CA, Viner JL, Pentland AP, Cantrell W, Lin HY, Bailey H, Kang S, Linden KG, Heffernan M, Duvic M, Richmond E, Elewski BE, Umar A, Bell W, Gordon GB. Chemoprevention of nonmelanoma skin cancer with celecoxib: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2010 Dec15;102(24):1835-44.
24. Kamell JM, Rietkerk W, Lam K, Phillips JM, Wu JJ, McCullough JL, Linden KG, Osann K. Medical students educate teens about skin cancer: what have we learned? J Cancer Educ. 2011 Mar;26(1):153-5.
25. Linden KG, Leachman SA, Zager JS, Jakowatz JG, Viner JL, McLaren CE, Barr RJ, Carpenter PM, Chen WP, Elmets CA, Tangrea JA, Lim SJ, Cochran AJ, Meyskens FL Jr. A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Phase II Clinical Trial of Lovastatin for Various Endpoints of Melanoma Pathobiology. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 2014 May;7(5):496-504.
26. Chapman LW, Korta DZ, Lee PK, Linden KG. Awareness of Surgical Smoke Risks and
Assessment of Safety Practices During Electrosurgery Among US Dermatology Residents.
JAMA Dermatol. 2017 May 1;153(5):467-468. PubMed PMID: 28249072
27. Korta DZ, Chapman LW, Lee PK, Linden KG. Splash Safety During Dermatologic Procedures Among US Dermatology Residents. Dermatol Surg. 2017 Jul;43(7):934-939. PubMed PMID: 28346255
28. Zikry J, Korta DZ, Chapman LW, Linden KG. Melanoma arising in an ovarian cystic teratoma: a systematic review of presentation, treatment, and outcomes. Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2017 Sep;296(3):397-404. PubMed PMID: 28643027.
29. Amber KT, Valdebran M, Lu Y, De Feraudy S, Linden KG. Localized pretibial bullous pemphigoid arising in a patient on pembrolizumab for metastatic melanoma. J Dtsch Dermatol Ges. 2018 Feb;16(2):196-198.
PubMed PMID: 29389067
30. Abrouk M, Song JE, Linden KG. A recalcitrant case of toxic epidermal necrolysis. Cutis. 2018 Mar;101(3):E8-E10. PubMed PMID: 29718031.
31. Linden KG. Commentary: Sunscreen sun protection factor (SPF): Is higher better? J Am Acad Dermatol. 2018 May;78(5):911-912. PubMed PMID: 29548519.
32. Hosking AM, Makdisi J, Ortenzio F, de Feraudy S, Smith J, Linden K. Diffuse cutaneous mastocytosis: Case report and literature review. Pediatr Dermatol. 2018 Nov;35(6):e348-e352. PubMed PMID: 30187958.
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
American Chemical Society (ACS)
Fellow of the American Academy of Dermatology
Southwest Oncology Group (SWOG)
Orange County Dermatology Society
American Society for Mohs Surgery