Peer-reviewed Journal Articles
1. Rucker L, Cygan RW. Periodic health examinations. West J Med. 1983; 138:713- 14.
2. Cygan RW, Rucker L. Thyroid hormone replacement. West J Med. 1983; 139:
3. Rucker L, Frye EB, Staten MA. Usefulness of screening chest roentgenograms in preoperative patients. JAMA 1983; 250:3209-3211.
4. Sternberg EB, Rucker L, Cygan RW. Drugs that induce hypertension: a discussion of mechanisms. Dateline Hypertension 1984 (July); 11(4): 1-7.
5. Cygan RW, Rucker L. Benign prostatic hyperplasia. West J Med. 1984; 141:528- 30.
6. Rucker L, Meador J. Kaposi's sarcoma presenting as homogeneous pulmonary infiltrates in a patient with acquired immunodeficiency syndrome. West J Med. 1985; 142:831-33.
7. Rucker L, Kietch J. Depression in primary care: evolving concepts and approach to therapy. South Med J. 1986; 79:215-222.
8. Rucker L, Frye EB, Cygan RW. Feasibility and usefulness of depression screening in medical outpatients. Arch Intern Med. 1986; 146:729-731.
9. Goodman PH, Murphy MG, Siltanen GL, Kelley MP, Rucker L. Normal temperature asymmetry of the back and extremities by computer-assisted infrared imaging. Thermology. 1986: 1:195-202.
10. Waitzkin H, Akin BV, de la Maza L, Hubbell FA, Meshkinpoor H, Rucker L, Tobis JS. Deciding against corporate management of a state-supported academic medical center. N Engl J Med. 1986; 315:1299-1304.
11. Akin BV, Hubbell FA, Frye EB, Rucker L, Friis R. Efficacy of the routine admission urinalysis. Am J Med. 1987; 82:719-22.
12. Rucker L, Hubbell FA, Akin BV, Frye E. Electrolyte, BUN, and glucose level screening in medical admissions; impact on patient management. West J Med. 1987; 147:287-91.
13. Frye EB, Hubbell FA, Akin BV, Rucker L. Usefulness of routine admission complete blood cell counts on a general medical service. J Gen Intern Med. 1987; 2:373-6.
14. Hubbell FA, Frye EB, Akin BV Rucker L. Routine admission laboratory testing for general medical patients. Med Care. 1988; 26:619-30.
15. Elias A, Kaupke J, Cygan R, Rucker L. Pancreatic polypeptide concentrations in obese patients before and after a weight loss regimen. J Obesity and Weight Research. 1988; 7:125-30.
16. Hubbell FA, Waitzkin H, Rucker L, Akin BV, Heide MG. Financial barriers to medical care: a prospective study in a university-affiliated community clinic. Am J Med Sci. 1989; 3:158-162.
17. Hubbell FA, Webb DW, Ofstein MR, Goldberg RS, Rucker L. Biochemical testing in patients with alcoholic liver disease. South Med J. 1989; 82:318-320.
18. Akin BV, Rucker L, Hubbell FA, Cygan RW, Waitzkin H. Access to medical care in a medically indigent population. J Gen Int Med. 1989; 4:216-220.
27. Rucker L, Kaslow J, Onishi R. Liver extract-folic acid-cyanocobalamine for chronic fatigue syndrome. Arch Int Med. 1989; 149:2501-2503.
19. Rucker L, Mabourakh S, Onishi R. Treatment decisions in white coat hypertension. South Med J. 1990; 6:610-612.
20. Mayster B, Waitzkin H, Hubbell FA, Rucker L. Local advocacy for the medically indigent: strategies and accomplishments in one county. JAMA. 1990: 263:262-268.
21. Elias A, Kaupke J, Cygan RW, Rucker L. Serum cachectin (TNF) in obese patients. J Obesity. 1989: 8:113-117.
22. Gin N, Rucker L, Cygan R, Hubbell FA. Prevalence of domestic violence among patients in three ambulatory internal medicine clinics. J Gen Int Med. 1991; 6:317- 22.
23. Mayster V, Waitzkin H, Hubbell FA, Rucker L. Local advocacy for the medically indigent. Int J Health Services. 1992; 22:317-29.
24. Hubbell FA, Waitzkin H, Rucker L, Mayster V. Health care for the poor in Orange County: a story of neglect in the midst of plenty. J of Orange County Studies. 1990- 91; 5/6:14-17.
25. Greep N, Rodriquez F, Rucker L, Hubbell FA. A comparison of methods and criteria
used by traditional and primary care internal medicine programs to select residents. J
Gen Int Med. 1995;10(7):387-391.
26. Rucker L, Morrison, E. The EBM Rx: an initial experience with an Evidence-based Medicine learning prescription. Academic Medicine. 2000;75: 527.
27. Morrison E, Rucker L, Prislin M, Castro C. A lack of correlation of residents’ academic performance and teaching skills. American Journal of Medicine. 2000;109:238-240.
28. Scherger J, Rucker L, Morrison E, Cygan R, Hubbell A. The primary care specialties working together: a model of success in an academic environment. Academic Medicine. 2000;75:693-698.
29. Rucker L, Morrison E. A longitudinal communication skills initiative for an academic health system. Medical Education. 2001;35:17-18.
30. Amin A, Rucker L. A curriculum based on patient-directed subspecialty rounds. Medical Education. 2001;35:1090.
31. Liao S, Amin A, Rucker L. A longitudinal home hospice rotation for internal medicine residents. Academic Medicine. 2001;5:518-519.
32. Morrison E, Friedland J, Boker J, Rucker L, Hollingshead J, Murata P. Residents-as-teachers training in US residency programs and offices of graduate medical education. Academic Medicine. 2001;76:S1-S4.
33. Morrison E, McLaughlin C, & Rucker L. Medical students’ note-taking in a medical biochemistry course: an initial exploration. Medical Education. 2002;36:384-386.
34. Rucker L. The best job in the world. Journal of Medical Humanities. 2002;23:153-156.
35. Morrison E, Hollingshead J, Rucker L. Reach out and teach someone. Family Medicine. 2002;34:445-450.
36. Lie D, Rucker L, Cohn F. Using literature as the framework for a new course. Academic Medicine. 2002;77: 1170.
37. Amin A, Rucker L. Through the patient’s eyes. Medical Education. 2002:36:1104-5.
38. Rucker L, Shapiro J, Boker J. Becoming a physician: Students’ creative projects in a third-year IM clerkship. Academic Medicine. 2003;78:391-397.
39. Morrison EH, Rucker L, Boker J, Hollingshead J, Hitchcock MA, Prislin MD, Hubbell
FA. A pilot randomized controlled trial of a longitudinal residents-as-teachers curriculum. Academic Medicine. 2003;78: 722-729.
40. Shapiro J, Rucker L. Can poetry make better doctors? Teaching the humanities and arts to medical students and residents at the University of California, Irvine, College of Medicine. Academic Medicine. 2003;78:953-57.
41. Liao S, Amin A, Rucker L. An Innovative longitudinal program to teach residents about end-of-life care. Academic Medicine. 2004;79:752-757.
42. Morrison E, Rucker L, Boker J, et al. The effect of a 13-hour curriculum to improve
residents’ teaching skills: A randomized trial. Ann Internal Med. 2004;141:257-63.
43. Shapiro J, Rucker L. The Don Quixote Effect: Why going to the movies can help develop empathy and altruism in medical students and residents. Families, Systems & Health, 2004;22:445-453.
44. Amin A, Rucker L. A systems-based practice continuum for second-year internal medicine residents based on continuous quality improvement. Medical Education 2004;38:568-9.
45. Amin A, Rucker L. An innovative advanced patient doctor course for medical students.
Medical Education 2005;39:518-519.
46. Shapiro J, Rucker L, Beck J. Training the clinical eye and mind: using the Arts to Develop Medical Students’ Clinical Observations. Medical Education. 2006; 40:263-8.
47. Shapiro J, Rucker L. Point of View Writing: A method for increasing medical students’ empathy, identification and expression of emotion and insight. Education for Health 2006;19:96-105.
48. Shapiro J, Rucker L, Robitshek D. Teaching the Art of Doctoring: an innovative medical school elective curriculum. Medical Teacher. 2006; 28:30-35.
50. Gustin W, Batra R, Amin A, Rucker L. Education first: Curricular reform for the Internal
Medicine Internship. Academic Medicine. In press, March 2009.