Dr. Choi is evaluating pulse oximetry (a noninvasive system designed to measure arterial oxygen saturation) as a monitor of respiration during epidural morphine analgesia. This type of analgesia is used to lessen postoperative pain, particularly postcaesarean section pain. Dr. Choi also is evaluating epidural administration of sufentanyl with local anesthetics for relief of labor pain.
Golden Bucket Award from Residents graduating Class 2015, June 13, 2015
Faculty Exemplar Award from Residents graduating Class 2016, June 18, 2016
Chapter 42, Obstetric Anesthesia: Corey K Nelson, Ho J Choi, Dmitry Portnoy. OB/GYN Hospital Medicine Principles and Practice Edited by Jennifer Butler et al.
Published by McGraw Hill, 2019
Younan L, Dhoon T, Choi H: Case presentation, Management of a Patient with Unexpected Placenta Percreta
Presented at American Society of Anesthesiologists Annual Meeting, October 2018.
1. Choi HJ, Chiu L, Hurd JM, Tremper KK: Epidural anesthesia for a woman with severe aortic stenosis undergoing a cesarean section. Anesthesiology Review, 19:61-69, 1992.
2. Choi, HJ, Little MS, Garber SZ, Tremper KK: Pulse oximetry for monitoring during ward analgesia, epidural morphine versus parenteral narcotics. Journal of Clinical Monitoring, 5:87-89, 1989
3. Garber SZ, Choi HJ, Tremper KK, Fujita RA: Use of a pulse oximeter in the anesthetic management of a pregnant patient with Eisenmenger’s syndrome. Anesthesiology Review, 15:59-63, 1988.
4. Choi HJ, Tremper KK, Scruggs R, Asrani RV, Cullen BF: Continuous transcutaneous PC02 monitoring during epidural morphine analgesia. Critical Care Medicine, 13:584-585, 1985.
5. I have contributed Chapters of “Maternal Fetal Physiology”, “Complication of OB anesthesia”, “General anesthesia for Cesarean section” for ObGyn Hospitalist Medicine: Principles and Practice, McGrawHill March, 2017
1. Chapter 21, Obstetric Anesthesia (Translated into Japanese)
“Complications of Pregnancy” Editor Yuji Murata, M.D.
Published by Medica Publishing in February 2006
2. Four Chapters: Muscle Relaxants, Hypnotics/Intravenous Anesthetics, Hemodynamic
For the purpose of departmental education resources for Medical students: eBook edited
by Dr. Ashley Broussard. November, 2014
1. Bogard DR, Wong DH, Choi HJ: Case Report: Severe pulmonic stenosis in a parturient. Poster presentation, Western Anesthesia Residents’ Conference, Sacramento, California, April 1993.
2. Little MS, McNitt JD, Choi HJ, Tremper KK: A pilot study of low dose epidural sufentanil and bupivacaine for labor anesthesia. Anesthesiology 67:A444, 1987. Abstract presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, October 1987.
3. Choi HJ, Little MS, Fujita RA, Garber SZ, Tremper KK: Pulse oximetry for monitoring during ward analgesia: epidural morphine versus parenteral narcotics. Anesthesiology 65:A371, 1986. Abstract presented at the annual meeting of the American Society of Anesthesiologists, October 1986.
4. Choi HJ, Asrani R, Tremper KK, Scruggs R, Cullen BF: Continuous transcutaneous PC02 monitoring during epidural analgesia. Anesthesia and Analgesia 63:196, 1984. Abstract presented at the International Anesthesia Research Society 58th Congress, March 1984.
Letters to the Editor:
1. Fujita, RA, Choi HJ: Use of atracurium in pre-eclamptic patients.
British Journal of Anaesthesia 58:1343, 1986.
2. Choi, HJ, Tremper KK, Garber SZ: End-tidal PCO2, should it be a standard of care in obstetric anesthesia? Anesthesiology 64:829-830, 1986.
3. Garber S, Choi HJ, Fujita R, Kies D: Another wrong turn. Journal of Clinical Monitoring 2:142, 1986.
4. Bassell GH, Choi HJ: Maternal hypotension complicating epidural block.
American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology 144:361, 1982.
Kim WH; Hahm KB; Park SJ; Kang JK; Park IS; Choi HJ; Shin JS; Youn JK. Effect of polyuridylic acid on cellular responses of peripheral blood mononuclear cells from patients with chronic active hepatitis B. Yonsei Medical Journal, 1993 Sep, 34(3):258-65.
American Society of Anesthesiologists
California Society of Anesthesiologists