Oncologic Surgery, Breast Cancer, Endocrine Surgery, Sarcoma
Professor of Surgery
Orange County Physician of Excellence
Castle Connolly "America's Top Doctors"
Novel Imaging Techniques in the Early Diagnosis of Breast Cancer
Laser Technology in the Diagnosis and Management of Breast Cancer
Skin Sparing Mastectomy
Minimally Invasive Endocrine Surgery: Thyroid, Parthyroid, Adrenal
Multidisciplinary Treatment of Soft Tissue Sarcoma
1. Wilson SE, Chan PD, Butler JA, Chandler C (Editors): SURGERY, 2ND EDITION. CURRENT CLINICAL STRATEGIES PUBLISHING, Fountain Valley, CA, 1995.
1. Berne T,Butler J,Silberman H: Hepatic dysfunction in renal transplant recipients:A serious problem.Transplantation Proceedings 1:1282, 1979.
2. Silberman H, Overturf GD, Field RJ, Butler J, Berne T: Pneumo coccal vaccination in renal allograft recipients.Surgical Forum 30:156, 1979.
3. Silberman H,Berne T, Fitzgibbons T,Butler J:Renal allografts retained in situ after failure. Arch Surg 115:42,1980.
4. Silberman H, Overturf G, Field R, Butler J, Berne I: Response of renal allograft recipients to pneumococcal vaccine. Ann Surg 192199, 1980.
5. Gustaffson L,Butler J, Fitzgibbons T,Silberman H,Berne T:Auxilliary canine hepatic transplants without portal blood flow. ACTA Chir Scand 149:287, 1983.
6. Schick P, Goodstein J, Moor J, Butler J, Senter K: Preoperative chemotherapy followed by mastectomy for locally advanced breast cancer. J Surg Onc, 22:278, 1984.
7. Butler J, Bretsky S, Mendez-Botet C, Kinne D: Estrogen receptor protein on breast cancer as a predictor of recurrence. Cancer 55:1178, 1985.
8. Daly J, Butler J, Kemeny N, et al: Predicting tumor responses in patients with colorectal hepatic metastases. Ann Surg 202:384, 1985.
9. Butler J, Attiyeh H, Daly J: Hepatic resection for metastases of the colon and rectum. Surg Gynecol Obstet 162:109, 1986.
10. Butler J: Resection of colorectal metastases to liver. Gastro-enterology 91:1315, 1986.
11. Butler J, Marcus CS et al: Evaluation of Tc-99m leukocytes scan in the diagnosis of acute appendicitis. J Surg Res 42:575, 1987.
12. Butler J, Huang J, Wilson SE: Repeated laparotomy for post-operative intraabdominal sepsis: an analysis of outcome predictors. Arch Surg 122:702, 1987.
13. Butler J, Hieshima A, State D: Monoclonal antibody staining and impact of surgical technique on the identification and quantitation of steroid receptors in breast cancer. Am J Surg 154:62, 1987.
14. Nordestgaard A, Butler J, Marcus C et al: The value of clinical factors in predicting acute appendicitis in young women: a logistic regression analysis. Surg Forum 38:456, 1987.
Butler, John MD
15. Kinne DW, Butler J, Kimmel M etal: Estrogen receptor protein of breast cancer in positive node positive patients: high recurrence rates in the post-menopausal estrogen receptor-negative group. Arch Surg 122:1303, 1987.
16. Marcus C, Stabin M, Watson E, Henneman P, Butler J, Kuperus J: Dosimetry of leukocytes labeled with Tc-99m albumin colloid. Nuc Med Comm 9:249-254, July 1988.
17. Henneman P, Marcus C, Butler J et al: Appendicitis: Evaluation by Tc-99m leukocyte scan. Ann Emerg Med 17:111, 1988.
18. Smith C, Butler J, Cobb C, State D: Fine-needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of primary breast cancer. Surg 103:178, 1988.
19. Koyle M, Ward H, Klein S, Williams R, White G, Butler J et al: Cadaveric renal transplantation - surgical results and expectations in the cyclosporine era. J of Urol 139:193, 1988.
20. Smith C, Butler J: Efficacy of directed percutaneous fine-needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of intra-abdominal masses. Arch Surg, 123:820, 1988.
21. Marcus C, Kuperus J, Butler J, Hennenman P, Salk R, Chen B, et al.: Phagocytic labeling of leukocytes with Tc-99m albumin collocid for nuclear imaging. Nucl Med Biol, 15(6):673, 1988.
22. Trezona T, Butler J, Nordestgaard A, State D: Regional infusion via hepatic artery and portal vein of FUDR of rabbit VX-2 hepatic implants: comparison with angiotensin modulation of tumor perfusion. Surg Forum 39:431, 1988.
23. Butler J, Trezona T, Nordestgaard A, State D: Hepatic artery vs. portal vein and systemic infusion of FUDR of rabbit VX-2 hepatic implants. Am J Surg 157:126, 1989.
24. Butler J, Trezona T, State D: Value of measuring hormone receptor levels of regional metastatic carcinoma of the breast. Arch Surg 124:1131, 1989.
25. Smith C, Butler J: Colorectal cancer in patients younger than forty. Dis of Colon and Rectum 32:843, 1989.
26. Butler J, Dubrow T, Trezona T, et al: Total gastrectomy in the treatment of advanced gastric cancer. Am J Surg 658:602, 1989.
27. Butler J, Smith C: Fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of recurrent and metastatic intra-abdominal malignancy. Am J Surg 158:589, 1989.
28. Butler J, Vargas H, Bernstein D, McDonald W: Immunocytochemical determination of the estrogen and progesterone receptor status of breast cancer. Surgical Forum 40:462, 1989.
29. Henneman P, Marcus C, Inkelis S, Butler J et al: Evaluation of children with possible appendicitis using Tc-99m leukocyte scan. Pediatrics 85:838, 1990.
30. Finch M, Butler J: Palliation of nonpancreatic malignant biliary obstruction. Surg Gynecol Obstet 170:437, 1990.
31. Butler J, Vargas H, Worthen N: Accuracy of combined clinical-mammographic-cytologic diagnosis of dominant breast masses: A prospective study. Arch Surg 125:893, 1990.
32. Henneman PL, Marcus C, Butler J, et al: Evaluation of women with possible appendicitis using Technetium-99M Leukocyte Scan. Am J Emerg Med 8:373, 1990.
33. Phillips J, Chang S, Vargas H, Dickman P, Butler J, Lipcaman J: MR and CT imaging of ethanol - treated liver tumors in an animal model. Magn Reson Imaging 9:2, 1991.
34. Trezona T, Butler J, Vargas H: Angiotensin alteration of drug uptake by tumor and normal liver parenchyma in an experimental model of hepatic metastases. J Surg Res 50, 1991.
35. Vargas H, Butler J, Phillips J, Dickman P: Ethanol injection of hepatic tumors. J Inv Surg 4:291, 1991.
36. Butler J, Cameron B, Morrow M, et al.: Small bowel obstruction in the cancer patient. Am J Surg 162:625, 1991.
37. Ipp E, Butler J, Vargas H: Catecholamine concentrations in the hepatic portal system: effect of surgical stress upon portal levels. Diab Res 16:177, 1991.
38. Schwartz R, Williams RA, Butler J, Wilson SE: Guidelines for surgical resident's working hours: Intent versus reality. Arch of Surgery 127(7):778-783, 1992.
39. Cameron BL, Butler J, et al: Immunohistochemical determination of the estrogen receptor content of gastrointestinal adenocarcinomas. Amer Surgeon 58(12):758-760, 1992.
40. Nordestgaard AC, Baumgartner F, Butler JA, Klein SR: Omphalocaval shunt: An alternate procedure for portal decompression. Annals of Vascular Surgery 7(2):187-189, 1993.
41. Chlebowski RT, Lillington L, Butler J: Breast cancer chemo-prevention - Tamoxifen: Current issues and future perspective. Cancer 72(3):1032-1037, 1993.
42. Venegas R, Rutgers JL, Cameron BL, Vargas H, Butler JA: Fine needle aspiration cytology of breast ductal carcinoma in-situ. Acta Cytologica 38(2):136-143, 1994.
43. Chang KJ, Albers CG, Erickson RA, Butler JA, Wuerker RB, Lin F: Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration of pancreatic carcinoma. Am J Gastroenterology 89(2):263-266, 1994.
44. Butler JA, Houshiar A, Lin F, Wilson SE: Goblet cell carcinoid of the appendix. Am J Surg 168:685-687, 1994.
45. Chang KJ, Katz KD, Durbin TE, Erickson RA, Butler JA, Lin F, Wuerker RB:Endoscopic ultrasound-guided fine-needle aspiration. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 40(6):694-699, 1994.
46. Lee J, Baumgartner F, Shellans S, Butler J, French S: Degeneration and sarcomatous transformation of retroperitoneal leiomyoma. Eur J Surg 161:1995.
47. Thakur ML, Marcus CS, Henneman P, Butler J, et al: Imaging inflammatory diseases with neutrophil- specific technetium-99m-labeled monoclonal antibody anti-ssea-1. The J of Nuclear Medicine 37(11):1789-1795, 1996.
48. Cahn MD, Chang KJ, Butler JA: Impact of endoscopic ultrasound with endoscopic ultrasound guided fine needle aspiration on the surgical management of pancreatic cancer. Am J Surg 172(5):470-472, 1996.
49. Kidney DD, Cohen AJ, Butler JA: Abdominal metastases of infiltrating lobular breast carcinoma: CT and fluoroscopic imaging findings. Abdominal Imaging 22(1): Jan/Feb, 1997.
50. Tromberg BJ, Coquoz O, Fishkin JB, Pham T, Anderson ER, Butler J, Cahn M, Gross JD, Venugopalan V,Pham D: Non-invasive measurements of breast tissue optical properties using frequency-domain photon migration. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society 352:661-668, 1997.
51. Cahn MD, Tran T, Theuer CP, Butler JA: Hormone replacement therapy and the risk of breast lesions that predispose to cancer. The Am Surg 63:858-860, 1997.
52. Hsiang D, Friess H, Buchler MW. Ebert M, Butler J, Korc M: Absence of K-ras mutations in the pancreatic parenchyma of patients with chronic pancreatitis. The American Journal of Surgery. 174:242-246, September, 1997
53. Theuer CP, Nastanski F, Butler J, Anton-Culver H: Signet ring cell histology is associated with unique clinical features but does not affect gastric cancer survival. American Surgeon 65:915-921, 1999
54. Tromberg Bj, Shah N, Lanning R, Cerussi A, Espinoza J, Pham T, Svaasand L, and Butler J. Non-invasive In Vivo characterization of breast tumors using photon migration spectroscopy. Neoplasia, 2:1-15, Jan 2000
55. Delfino RJ, Smith C, West J, White E, Lin H, Liao SY, Butler J, Anton-Culver H: Breast Cancer, passive and active cigarette smoking and N-acetyltransferase 2 genotype. Pharmacogenetics. 10:461-469, 2000
56. Holboke MJ, Tromberg BJ, Li X, Fishkin J, Kidney D, Butler J, Chance B, Yodh AG. Three-dimensional diffuse optical mammography with ultrasound localization in a human subject. J Biomed Opt. 2000 Apr; 5 (2): 237-47.
57. Delfino RJ, Smith C, West JG, Lin HJ, White E, Liao SY, Gim JS, Butler J, Anton-Culver H. Breast cancer, passive and active cigarette smoking and N-acetyltransferase 2 genotype. Pharmacogenetics. 2000 Jul; 10(5):5461-9.
58. Theuer CP, Kurosaki T, Ziogas A, Butler J, Anton-Culver H: Asian patients with gastric cancer diagnosed in the United States exhibit different clinical features and superior overall and cancer- specific survival. Cancer 89:0; Nov 1, 2000
59. Shah N, Cerussi A, Espinoza CKJ, Butler J, et al. Non-invasive functional optical spectroscopy of human breast tissue. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 98(8); 4420–4425. Apr 10, 2001
60. Cerussi, AE., Berger, AJ., Bevilacqua, F., Shah N., Jakubowski, D., Butler, J., Holcombe, RF., Tromberg, BJ. Sources of Absorption and scattering Contrast for Near-Infrared Optical Mammography. Academic Radiology, 8, 211-218, 2001
61. Cerussi, A.E., Berger AJ., Bevilacqua, N., R. Lanning, A.J. Berger, D. Hsiang, J Butler, R.F. Holcombe and B.J. Tromberg, “Spectropscopy ehances the information content of optical mammography.” Journal of Biomedical Optics, 7 1, 60-71 2002
62. Theuer C, Campbell B, Peel D, Lin F, Carpenter P, Argyrios Z, Butler J, Microsatellite Instability in Japanese vs European American Patients with Gastric Cancer. Arch Surg. 2002; 137:960-966
63. Shah N, Cerussi AE, Jakubowski D, Hsiang D, Butler J, Tromberg BJ. The role of diffuse optical spectroscopy in the clinical management of breast cancer. Dis Markers. 19 2-3: 95-105 2003
64. Jakubowski DD, Cerussi AE, Bevilacqua F, Shah N, Hsiang D, Butler J, Tromberg BJ. Monitoring neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer using quantitative diffuse optical spectroscopy:a case study. J. Biomed Opt. 9 1: 230-8 2004
65. Perrera GB, Wilson SE, Barie PS, Butler JA. Orange, California and New York, New York Duodenocaval Fistula: A Late Complication of Retroperitoneal Irradiation and Vena Cava Replacement. Ann Vasc Surg 2004; 18: 52-58
66. Shah N, Cerussi AE, Jakubowski D, Hsiang D, Butler J, Tromberg BJ. Spatial variations in optical and physiological properties of healthy breast tissue. J Biomed Opt.,9 3: 534-40. 2004
67. Hsiang D, Shah N, Yu H, Su MY, Cerussi A, Butler J, Baick C, Mehta R, Nalcioglu O, Tromberg B. Co registration of Dynamic Contrast Enhance MRI and Broadband Diffuse Optical Spectroscopy for Characterizing Breast Cancer. Technology in Cancer Research and Treatment, 4 5: 549-558 2005
68. Tromberg BJ, Cerussi A, Shah N, Compton M, Fedyk A, Hsiang D, Butler J, Mehta R. Diffuse Optics in Breast Cancer: Detecting Tumors in Pre-Menopausal Women and Monitoring Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Breast Cancer Research, 7 279-285 2005.
69. Carson J, Huerta S, Butler J. Hepatobiliary Cystadenoma: A Case Report and a Review of the Literature. Current Surgery, Volume 63(4) 285-289; Jul 2006
70. Cerussi A, Shah N, Hsiang D, Durkin A, Butler J, Tromberg BJ. In Vivo Absorption, Scattering and Physiologic Properties of 58 Malignant Breast Tumors Determined by Broadband Diffuse Optical Spectroscopy. J Biomed Opt. 11 4: 1-16; 5 September 2006
71. Chlebowski R, Blackburn GL…Butler J…Dietary Fat Reduction and Breast Cancer Outcome: Interim Efficacy Results From the Women’s Intervention Nutrition Study” Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Vol. 98, No. 24; December 20, 2006
72. Cerussi A, Hsiang D, Shah N, Mehta R, Durkin A, Butler J, Tromberg BJ. Predicting response to breast cancer neoadjuvant chemotherapy using diffuse optical spectroscopy. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the Untied States of America. Vol. 104; March 6, 2007
73. Zhou C, Choe R, Shah N, Durduran T, Yu G, Durkin A, Hsiang D, Mehta R, Butler J, Cerussi A, Tromberg BJ, Yodh AG. Diffuse Optical Monitoring of Blood Flow and Oxygenation in Human Breast Cancer During Early Stages of Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. J. Biomed. Opt., Vol. 12; Oct 19. 2007
74. Datrice N, Narula N, Butler JA, Hsiang D, Baick C, Lane KT, Do Breast Columnar Cell Lesions with Atypia Need to be Excised? The American Surgeon 2007 Oct;73(10):984-986
75. Hsiang D, Yamamoto M, Mehta R, Baick C, Lane K, Butler J; Predicting nodal status using dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in patients with locally advanced breast cancer undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy with and without sequential trastuzumab. Archives of Surgery. 2007 Sep;142(9):855-61
76. Yamamoto M, Mehta RS, Baick CH, Su MY, Lane KT, Butler JA, Hsiang DJ. The predictive value of sentinel lymph node biopsy in locally advanced breast cancer patients who have undergone neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Am Surg. 2007 Oct;73(10):977-80
77. Lane K, Kempf A, Magno C, Lane J, Butler J, Hsiang D, Greenfield S, Jakowatz J, Regional Differences in the Use of Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy for Melanoma: A Potential Quality Measure. Am Surg. 2008 Oct;74(10):981-4
78. Tanamai W, Chen C, Siavoshi S, Cerussi A, Hsiang D, Butler J, Tromberg BJ. Diffuse optical spectroscopy measurements of healing in breast tissue after core biopsy: case study. J. Biomed. Opt., Vol. 14; Jan 20, 2009
79. Chen J, Feig BA, Hsiang D, Butler J, Mehta R, Bahri S, Nalcioglu O, Su M. Impact of MRI-Evaluated Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy Response on Change of Surgical Recommendation in Breast Cancer. Ann Surg. 2009 Mar; 249(3):448-54
80. Cerussi AE, Tanamai VW, Mehta RS, Hsiang D, Butler J, Tromberg BJ. : Frequent optical imaging during breast cancer neoadjuvant chemotherapy reveals dynamic tumor physiology in an individual patient. Acad Radiol. 2010 Aug;17(8):1031-9.
81. Roblyer D, Ueda S, Cerussi A, Tanamai W, Durkin A, Mehta R, Hsiang D, Butler JA, McLaren C, Chen WP, Tromberg B. Optical imaging of breast cancer oxyhemoglobin flare correlates with neoadjuvant chemotherapy response one day after starting treatment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011 Aug 30;108(35):14626-31.
82. Albert E. Cerussi, Vaya W. Tanamal, David Hsiang, John Butler, Rita S. Mehta, and Bruce J. Tromberg. Diffuse optical spectroscopic imaging correlates with final pathological response in breast cancer neoadjuvant chemotherapy.2011 Nov 28 Philos Transact A Math Phys Eng. Sci.
83. Chen JH, Bahri S, Mehta RS, Kuzucan A, Yu HJ, Carpenter PM, Feig SA, Lin M, Hsiang DJ, Lane KT, Butler JA, Nalcioglu O, Su MY. Breast Cancer: Evaluation of Response to Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy with 3.0-T MR Imaging. Radiology. 2011 Dec.
84. Kuzucan A, Chen JH, Bahri S, Mehta RS, Carpenter PM, Fwu PT, Yu HJ, Hsiang DJ, Lane KT, Butler JA, Feig SA, Su My. Diagnostic performance of magnetic resonance imaging for assessing tumor response in patients with HER2-negative breast cancer receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy is associated with molecular biomarker profile. Clin Breast Cancer. 2012 Apr; 12(2):110-8
85. Ueda S, Roblyer D, Cerussi A, Durkin A, Leproux A, SantoroY, O’Sullivan TD, Hsiang D, Mehta R, Butler JA, Tromberg BJ. Baseline tumor oxygen saturation correlates with a pathologic response in breast cancer patients undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Cancer Res. 2012 Sep 1;72(17):4318-28
86. Datrice N, Wirth GA, Hsiang DJ, Butler JA, Lane KT. Can Regional Tattoos Impact Sentinel Lymph Node Identification? Am Surg. 2013 Mar;79(3):331-2
87. Chen JH, Bahri S, Mehta RS, Carpenter PM, McLaren CE, Chen WD, Fwu PT, Hsiang DJ, Lane KT, Butler JA, Su MY. Impact of factors affecting the residual tumor size diagnosed by MRI in comparison to pathology. J Clin Oncol 2014, 109 (2):158-167.
1. Daly J, Ridge J, Butler J: Regional Chemotherapy For Metastatic Colorectal Carcinoma. COLORECTAL TUMORS, Bhears, Higgins and Weinstein, Lippincott, pp. 247-254, 1986.
2. Butler J: Treatment of Hepatic Metastases With an Implantable Pump. In VASCULAR ACCESS SURGERY, 2nd Edition, Year Book Medical Publisher, Chicago, IL 1987.
3. Tominaga G, Butler J: Long-Term Venous Access. In VASCULAR SURGERY, 4th Edition, Chapter 92. W. S. Moore (Ed): 1993
4. Butler J: Hepatic Artery Infusion Pump: Indications, Techniques & Results. Mosby-Year Book for VASCULAR SURGERY, 3rd Edition, Chapter 10. July 1994.
5. Tromber, BJ, Coquoz, O, Fishkin, JB, Butler, J, Noninvasive Characterization of Tissue Optical Properties Using Frequency Domain Photon Migration in Photomedicine in Gynecology and Reproduction, P. Wyss, Y. Tadir, U. Haller, and B. Tromberg eds., Basel, Karger, 2000.
6. Butler J:Breast-Benign and Malignant Disease. IN GENERAL SURGRY EDUCATIONAL REVIEW MANUAL. Castle Connolly Graduate Medical Publishing, LLC 2000
7. Butler J: Surgical Options for Stage1 and Stage 2 Breast Cancer: A Critique. In SURGICAL ONCLOGY. Arnold Publisher, 2002
8. Butler J: Breast - Benign and Malignant Disease. In GENERAL SURGERY EDUCATIONAL REVIEW MANUAL. Castle Connolly Graduate Medical Publishing, LLC. Revised version 2005.
FORMAL PRESENTATIONS (SELECTED)
1. Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, "Canine Auxiliary Liver Transplantation for Short-Term Hepatic Support" Palm Springs, California: January 1979
2. Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, "Hemodynamic and Oxygen Transport Determinants in Acute Pancreatitis" Newport Beach, California January 1982
3. Society of Surgical Oncology, New York, New York "Estrogen Receptor Protein of Breast Cancer as a Predictor of Recurrence" May 1984
4. Southern California Chapter of the American College of Surgeons, "Predicting Tumor Response in Hepatic Arterial Infusion Chemotherapy" San Diego, California January 1985
5. Eisenhower Medical Center, "Combined Modality Therapy in the Management of Locally Advanced Breast Cancer" Palm Springs, California November 1985
6. Association for Academic Surgery, "Evaluation of Tc-99m Leukocyte Scan in the Diagnosis of Acute Appendicitis" Washington, D.C. November 1986
7. Western Surgical Society, "Relaparotomy for Postoperative Intraabdominal Sepsis: Analysis of Outcome Predictors" Detroit, Michigan November 1986
8. Pacific Coast Surgical Society, "Monoclonal Antibody Staining and Impact of Surgical Technique on the dentification and Quantitation of Steroid Receptors in Human Breast Cancer" Palm Spring, California February 1987
9. Society of Surgical Oncology, "Estrogen Receptor Protein of Breast Cancer in Positive Node Patients: High Recurrence Rates in the Postmenopausal Estrogen Receptor Negative Group" London, England May 1987
10. Western Surgical Society, "Efficacy of Directed Percutaneous Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology in The Diagnosis of Intraabdominal Masses" Dallas, Texas November 1987
11. Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract, "Hepatic Artery vs. Portal Vein and Systemic Infusion of FUDR of Rabbit VX-2 Hepatic Implants: Correlation with Tumor Perfusion" New Orleans, Louisiana May 1988
12. Surgical Forum, "Hepatic Artery, Portal Vein Infusion of FUdR of Rabbit VX-2 Hepatic Implants; Comparison with Angiotensin Modulation of Tumor Perfusion" Chicago, Illinois October 1988
13. Pacific Coast Surgical Society, "Value of Measuring Hormone Receptor Levels of Regional Metastatic Carcinoma of the Breast" Vancouver, British Columbia February 1989
14. Southwestern Surgical Congress, "Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology in the Diagnosis of Recurrent and Metastatic Intra-abdominal Malignancy" Monterey, California April 1989
15. Southwestern Surgical Congress, "Total Gastrectomy in the Treatment of Advanced Gastric Cancer" Monterey, California April 1989
16. Academy of Surgical Research, Charleston, "Ethanol Injection of Hepatic Tumors" South Carolina, September 1989
17. Surgical Forum, "Immunocytochemical Determination of the Estrogen and Progesterone Receptor Status of Breast Cancer" Atlanta, Georgia October 1989
18. Western Surgical Society, "Accuracy of Combined Clinical - Mammographic - Cytologic Diagnosis Of Dominant Breast Masses: A Prospective Study" St. Louis, MO, November 1989
19. Academy of Surgical Research, "The VX-2 Tumor of the New Zealand White Rabbit: An Experimental Model of Hepatic Tumors/Metastases" Long Beach, California, September 1990
20. Pacific Coast Surgical Society, "Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology of Noninvasive Breast Cancer" Monterey, California, February 1991
21. Grand Rounds, Bay Harbor Hospital, “Breast Cancer Update” Harbor City, California November 7, 1996
22. Oncology Grand Rounds, Eisenhower Medical Center, “Pancreatic Cancer”, Rancho Mirage, California December 19, 1996
23. Surgery Grand Rounds, Queen of Angeles Hospital, “Current Management of Pancreatic Cancer”, Los Angeles, California February, 1997
24. Grand Rounds Presentation San Gabriel Valley Medical Center “Surgery/Chemotherapy for Breast Cancer”, San Gabriel, California May 1997
25. Surgery Grand Rounds Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, “Recent Advances in the Diagnosis and Management of Early Breast Cancer”, Los Angeles, California May 5, 1997
26. UCI Family Practice Refresher Course, “Update on Breast Cancer”, Newport Beach, California June 9, 1997
27. Grand Rounds Presentation, Chapman Medical Center, “Carcinoma of the Breast Diagnosis, Treatment, & Risk Factors”, Orange CaliforniaJuly 21, 1997
28. Women’s Health Update, “New Advances in Breast Cancer”, Riverside California October 3, 1997
29. Downey Community Hospital Grand Rounds, “Advances in the Diagnosis and Management of Breast Cancer” Downey California, November 9, 1997
30. Women’s Healthcare Update Beckman Laser Center, “New Advances in Breast Cancer”, Irvine, California November 14, 1997
31. Grand Rounds Long Beach Community Hospital, “New Techniques in Treatment of Pancreatic Cancer”, Long Beach California November 18, 1997
32. Grand Rounds La Palma Community Hospital, “Breast Cancer Update”, La Palma, California November 20, 1997
33. Oncology Grand Rounds Eisenhower Medical Center “Advances in Surgical Oncology” Rancho Mirage, California March 20, 1998
34. Surgery Grand Rounds, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, “Recent Advances in the Management of Gastric Cancer” Los Angeles, California, April 9, 1998
35. UCI Family Practice Refresher Course, Newport Beach “Breast Cancer Management”, June 1998
36. Surgery Grand Rounds, Queens of Angels Hospital, “Recent Advances in Diagnosis and Treatment of Breast Cancer” Los Angeles California September 11, 1998
37. OB/GYN Grand Rounds, Harbor/UCLA Medical Center, “Update on Breast Cancer Treatment”, Los Angeles, California September 14, 1998
38. Oncology Grand Rounds, Methodist Hospital, “Pancreatic Cancer Update”, Arcadia, California September 24, 1998
39. Centinela Hospital Medical Center, “Breast Cancer Update”, Inglewood California October 27, 1998
40. Parkview Community Hospital Medical Center, “New Techniques in Treatment of Pancreatic Cancer”, Parkview California November 10, 1998
41. UCI Pancreatic Cancer Symposium, “Endoscopic Ultrasound in the surgical Management of Pancreatic Cancer” Newport Beach, California November 20, 1998
42. Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, UCI Medical Center, “Controversies in Thyroid Surgery”, Orange, California March 18, 1999
43. High Priority Survivors Outreach, Orange County Performing Arts Center Club, “Breast Cancer Update”, Costa Mesa, California May 3, 1999
44. Trauma/Critical Care Conference, UCI Medical Center, “Thyroid & Parathyroid Tumors” Orange, California June 4, 1999
45. Grand Rounds Presentation Centinela Hospital Medical Center, “Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy in the Treatment of Breast Cancer”, Inglewood, California June, 1999
46. Oncology Lecture, Queen of Angels Hospital, “Breast Cancer Update”, Hollywood California January 14, 2000
47. Breast Cancer Symposium,“Reducing the Incidence of Breast Cancer in women with high risk”, Orange, California May 2000
48. UCI Practice Refresher Course, “Update on Benign and Malignant Breast Disease”, Newport Beach, California June 26, 2000
49. Oncology Grand Rounds, La Palma Community Hospital, , “Breast Cancer Overview: Current Paradigms in Breast Cancer Management”, La Palma, California September, 2000
50. Family Medicine Update Course “Breast Cancer” June 14, 2004
51. 27th Annual OB/GYN Review Course, “Carcinoma of the Breast: Treatment and Subsequent use of Estrogen” October 19, 2004
52. Family Medicine Update Course “Breast Cancer” June 13, 2005
53. 28th Annual OB/GYN Review Course “Carcinoma of the Breast: Treatment and subsequent use of estrogen” Benign Breast Mass Work-Up”, October 25, 2005
54. OB/GYN Grand Rounds UCI “Advances in the Diagnosis and Management of Breast Cancer” Orange, California December 2005
55. American College of Surgeons Regional Meeting “What’s new in Endocrine Surgery” January 2006
56. Surgery Grand Rounds Harbor/UCLA Medical Center “Current Treatment for Thyroid Caner” Los Angeles, May, 2006
57. Rancho Los Amigos National Medical Center “Breast Cancer- An Update” Los Angeles, California June, 2006
58. Family Medicine Update Course, “Breast Cancer”, June 19, 2006
59. Society of Philippine Surgeons of America Annual Symposium, Keynote Address “Recent Advances in Breast Cancer Management” Long Beach California July 19,2006
60. Northridge Regional Medical Center Oncology Grand Rounds “Surgical Treatment of Breast Cancer” September, 2006
61. Japanese Gynecologic Oncology Group UCI Medical Center, “Emerging Technologies in Breast Cancer Imaging and Treatment Monitoring” Orange, California October, 2006
62. Fountain Valley Regional Hospital Oncology Rounds, “Inflammatory Breast Cancer” Fountain Valley, California October 20, 2006
63. 29th Annual OB/GYN Review Course, “Management of Breast Disease of the Gynecologist”, October, 2006
64. Citrus valley Intercommunity Hospital, Cancer Committee Grand Rounds February 2007
65. National’s Survivor’s Day, UCI Medical Center, June 2008
66. 31st Annual OB/GYN review course, “Management of Breast Disease for the Gynecologist” October 2008
67. Citrus Valley Medical Center, “Breast Cancer Update” October 2009
68. 32nd Annual OB/GYN review
course, “Recent Advances in Breast Cancer” October 2009
69. Lane K, Hyunh K, Smith E, Hsiang D, Butler J. Acceptance of chemoprevention by women at high risk for breast cancer. American Society of Breast Surgeons May 2010, Las Vegas, NV
70. UCI Biology of Cancer Guest Lecture, “Surgical Oncology” January 31, 2013
71. Guest Lecture, Marina del Rey Hospital, “Thyroid Cancer” March 7, 2014
72. Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, UCI Medical Center, “The Continuing Saga DCIS: Lessons Unlearned”, Orange, California April 30, 2015.
73. Sharp Grossmont Hospital, “Breast Cancer Prevention: Treatment of Benign Breast Diseases” La Mesa, California April 7, 2016
74. Department of Surgery Grand Rounds, UCI Medical Center, “DCIS-The Final Word”, Orange, California September 24, 2015
75. Fountain Valley Regional Hospital and Medical Center, Oncology Grand Rounds Lecture and Presentation, “Thyroid Cancer” June 17, 2016
Invited Articles, Critiques, Commentaries, Introductions
1. Lane KT, Butler JA. Commentary on: Silberman H. Surgical Options for Stage I and II Breast Cancer 2009
1. Silberman H, Fitzgibbons T, Butler J, Berne T: Renal allo-grafts retained in situ after failure. Year Book of Surgery, 162, 1981.
2. Daly J, Butler J, Kemeny N, et al: Predicting tumor response in patients with colorectal hepatic metastases. Year Book of Surgery, 416, 1986.
3. Butler J, Attiyeh F, Daly J: Hepatic resection for metastases of the colon and rectum. Year Book of Surgery, 394, 1987.
4. Marcus, CS, Henneman, PL, Butler JA, Kuperus JH: Characteristics of the Tc-99m albumin colloid preparation. J Nucl Med 28:574, 1987.
5. Henneman PL, Marcus CS, Butler JA, Freeland ES, Rothstein RJ Wilson SE: Appendicitis: evaluation by Tc-99m Leukocyte Scan. Ann Emerg Med 16:150-447, 1987.
6. Marcus CS, Shoji B, Butler JA, Henneman PL, Yamanaka LM, Vivian MR, Wilson SE: Imaging of abdominal infection/inflammation with Tc-99m-albumin colloid-WBC's. Clin Nuc Med 13/9S:P11, 1988.
7. Chiu LC, Peng T, Ong R, Butler J, Trezona T, Chow P: Early detection of hepatic Tumor by CT/MR in experimental and clinical study. Magn Reson Imaging Vol 6, Supp 1:4, 1988.
8. Butler J, Hieshima A, Bernstein D, Huang S, State D: Monoclonal antibody staining and impact of surgical technique on the identification and quantitation of steroid receptors in human breast cancer. Year Book of Cancer, 294, 1989.
9. Henneman PL, Hall TA, Marcus CS, Butler JA, Koci T, Worthen N, Wilson SE: Evaluation of women with possible appendicitis using Tc-99m-Leukocyte Scan. Ann Emerg Med 18:464, 1989.
10. Smith C, Butler J: Efficacy of directed percutaneous fine needle aspiration cytology in the diagnosis of intra-abdominal masses. Radiology 170:287, 1989 and to be published in the 1990 Year Book of Diagnostic Radiology.
11. Vargas H, Butler J, Phillips J, Dickman P: Ethanol injection of hepatic tumors. J Invest Surg 2:337, 1989.
12. Marcus CS, Henneman PL, Butler J, et al: Value of TC-99mm-albumin colloid-WBC scan in women with possible appendicitis. Clin Nucl Med 14 (9S): 13, 1989
13. Henneman P, Marcus C, Butler J, et al: Appendicitis: Evaluation by Tc-99m-leukocyte scan. Int Synop, in press.
14. Butler J, Vargas H, Phillips J: The VX-2 tumor of the New Zealand White Rabbit: An experimental model of hepatic tumors/metastases. J Invest Surg 3:312, 1990.
15. Butler J, Vargas H, Worthen N: Accuracy of combined clinical-mammographic-cytologic diagnosis of dominant breast masses: A prospective study. Breast Dis: A Yearbook Quarterly 2:22, 1991
16. Thakur ML, Marcus CS, Hennemann P, Butler J, et al: Tc-99m labeled monoclonal antibody (MAb) in patients with inflammatory diseases. (European)
17. Society of Nuclear Medicine Annual Meeting, Summer,(1991)
18. Thakur ML, Marcus CS, Hennemann P, Butler J, et al: Imaging inflammatory diseases with neutrophil (PMN) specific, Tc-99m monoclonal antibody (MAB). J Nucl Med 32:1836, 1991.
19. Chlebowski R, Lillington L, Nelson A, Butler J: Barriers to minority/ underserved breast cancer prevention study participation. J Clin Onc, 1992
20. Berger, AJ, Bevilacqua, F, Jakubowski, DB, Cerussi, AE, Butler JA, Hsiang D, Tromberg, BJ, Broadbamd Absorption Spectroscopy by Combining Frequency-Domain and Steady-State Techniques in Optical Tomography and Spectroscopy of Tissue IV. Proceedings of SPIE Vol. 4250, 2001
21. Anderson J, Jackson D, Boyle J, Babin D, Butler J, Mehta R, Meyskens F. Clinical Care Assistance: Serving Underserved Women. AACRE 2003
22. Mehta RS, Schubbert T, Hsiang D, Su M-Y, Carpenter P, Holcombe R, Butler J, Baick C. High pathological complete remission rate following neoadjuvant taxane, carboplatin and trastuzumab therapy after doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide in Her-2 positive breast cancer patients. Breast Cancer Res Treat 88, 2004 ( suppl 1, abst 1110)
23. Su M-Y, Yu HJ, Mehta RS, Carpenter P, Hsiang D, Butler J, Baick C, Nalcioglu O MRI monitoring of neoadjuvant chemotherapy in breast cancer: association of MRI morphological patterns with early and final responses in AC followed by Taxane+carboplatin+trastuzumab regimen. Scientific Meeting of International Society for MR in Medicine. May 2005
24. Mehta RS, Schubbert T, Hsiang D, Butler J, Baick C, Su M Y. High pathological complete remission rates with paclitaxel and carboplatin [plusmn] trastuzumab (TC[plusmn]H) following dose dense doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide (AC) supported by GM-CSF in breast cancer-a phase II study. Breast Cancer Res Treat 89, 2005 (suppl 1, abst 5056)
25. Hsiang D, Yamamoto M, Mehta R, Baick C, Lane K, Butler J; Predicting nodal status using dynamic contrast-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging in patients with locally advanced breast cancer undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy with and without sequential trastuzumab. Archives of Surgery. 2007 Sep;142(9):855-61
26. Yamamoto M, Mehta RS, Baick CH, Su MY, Lane KT, Butler JA, Hsiang DJ. The predictive value of sentinel lymph node biopsy in locally advanced breast cancer patients who have undergone neoadjuvant chemotherapy. Am Surg. 2007 Oct;73(10):977-80.
27. Datrice N, Narula N, Butler JA, Hsiang D, Baick C, Lane KT, Do Breast Columnar Cell with Atypia Need to be Excised? The American Surgeon 2007 Oct;73(10):984-986
28. Ashley Kempf, BS, Karen Lane, MD, Cheryl Magno, MPH, Butler, J., et. al., Regional Differences in the use of Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy for Melanoma: A Potential Quality Measure. Am Surg. 2008 Oct;74(10):981-4.
29. Karen Lane, MD, Nicole Datrice, MD, Cheryl Magno, MPH, Edith Smith, NP, John Butler, MD, David Hsiang, MD, Sheldon Greenfield, MD, Lari Wenzel, PhD. Evaluating the Quality of Follow-up Care in Breast Cancer Survivors. Southern California Chapter, American College of Surgeons. Jan 17, 2009; Santa Barbara, CA.
30. Evangelista MS, Cerussi A, Mehta R, Butler J, Tromberg B, Hsiang D. : Predicting Final Pathologic Response in Breast Cancer Patients Receiving Neoadjuvant Therapy Using Diffuse Optical Spectroscopic Imaging. American College of Surgeons, 96th Annual Clinical Congress, Surgical Forum, October 2010. Washington, D.C.
31. Evangelista MS, Hsiang D, Chen J, Su L, Lane K, Butler J, Mehta R.: Exploring the Option of Breast Conservative Surgery in Inflammatory Breast Cancer Patients Treated with Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy. Annual Meeting of the Southern California Chapter American College of Surgeons, January 2010. Santa Barbara, California.
32. Lane K, Hyunh K, Smith E, Hsiang D, Butler J. Acceptance of chemoprevention by women at high risk for breast cancer. American Society of Breast Surgeons May 2010, Las Vegas, NV
33. Piper M, Mehta RS, Butler J, Hsiang D, Wirth G, Lane K. The use ofneoadjuvant bevacizumab and postoperative complications in patients undergoing mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. SCACS January 2011, Santa Barbara, CA
34. Merisa Piper, Rita Mehta MD, John Butler MD, David Hsiang MD,Garrett Wirth MD, Karen Lane MD: The Use of Neoadjuvant Bevacizumab and Postoperative Complications in Patients Undergoing Mastectomy with Immediate Reconstruction. Annual Meeting of the Southern California Chapter American College of Surgeons, January 2011. Santa Barbara, California.
Pacific Coast Surgical Society