Assistant Professor, Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
|ecology, climate change, species invasions, biogeography, marine biology|
|Appointments||University of Massachusetts, Boston, 2011-2013|
|In the Sorte Lab, we take an integrative approach - spanning studies of organismal physiology to biogeography - to understand the mechanisms of responses to global change. Specific research foci include (1) the ecophysiological underpinnings of species’ distributions, (2) the impacts of climate-driven shifts in these distributions, (3) the interactions between climate change and species invasions, and (4) ways that species can "cope" with climate change (e.g. via acclimation, adaptation, and re-distribution).|
(Updated January 2014; * denotes student advisees)
22. Ibáñez I, Diez JM, Miller LP, Olden JD, Sorte CJB, Blumenthal DM, Bradley BA, D’Antonio CM, Dukes JS, Early RI, Grosholz ED, Lawler JJ (in press) Integrated assessment of biological invasions. Ecological Applications.
21. Bates AE, McKelvie CM, Sorte CJB, Morley SA, Jones N, Mondon J, Bird TJ, Quinn G (2013) Geographical range, heat tolerance, and invasion success in aquatic species. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. 280: 20131958.
20. Sorte CJB, Etter RJ, *Spackman R, Boyle EE, Hannigan RE (2013) Elemental fingerprinting of mussel shells to predict population sources and redistribution potential in the Gulf of Maine. PLoS ONE. 8:e80868.
19. Sorte CJB, White JW (2013) Competitive and demographic leverage points of community shifts under climate warming. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. 280:20130572.
18. Sorte CJB, Ibáñez I, Blumenthal DM, Molinari NA, Miller LP, Grosholz ED, Diez JM, D’Antonio CM, Olden JD, Jones SJ, Dukes JS (2013) Poised to prosper? A cross-system comparison of climate change effects on native and non-native species performance. Ecology Letters. 16:261-270.
17. Sorte CJB (2013) Predicting persistence in a changing climate: flow direction and limitations to redistribution. Oikos. 122:161-170.
16. *Cockrell MA, Sorte CJB (2013) Predicting climate-induced changes in population dynamics of invasive species in a marine epibenthic community. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology. 440:42-48.
15. Diez JM, D’Antonio CM, Dukes JS, Grosholz ED, Olden JD, Sorte CJB, Blumenthal DM, Bradley BA, Early R, Ibáñez I, Jones SJ, Lawler J, Miller LP (2012) Will extreme climatic events facilitate biological invasions? Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10:249-257.
14. Bradley BA, Blumenthal DM, Early RI, Grosholz ED, Lawler JJ, Miller LP, Sorte CJB, D’Antonio CM, Diez JM, Dukes JS, Ibáñez I, Olden JD (2012) Global change, global trade, and the next wave of plant invasions. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 10:20-28.
13. Fischer EV, Mackey KRM, Cusack DF, DeSantis LRG, Harzell-Nichols L, Lutz JA, Melbourne-Thomas J, Meyer R, Riveros-Iregui DA, Sorte CJB, Taylor JR, White SA (2012) Pre-tenure interdisciplinary research: is it a career risk? Eos, Transactions of the American Geophysical Union 93:311-312.
12. Bracken MES, Menge BA, Foley MM, Sorte CJB, Lubchenco J, Schiel DR (2012) Mussel selectivity for high-quality food drives carbon inputs into open-coast intertidal ecosystems. Marine Ecology Progress Series 459:53-62.
11. Sorte CJB, Stachowicz JJ (2011) Patterns and processes of compositional change in a California epibenthic community. Marine Ecology Progress Series 435:63-74.
10. Sorte CJB, Jones SJ, Miller LP (2011) Geographic variation in temperature tolerance as an indicator of potential population responses to climate change. Journal of Experimental Marine Biology and Ecology 400:209-217.
9. *Zerebecki RA, Sorte CJB (2011) Temperature tolerance and stress proteins as mechanisms of invasive species success. PLoS ONE 6:e14806.
8. Sorte CJB, Williams SL, *Zerebecki RA (2010) Ocean warming increases threat of invasive species in a marine community. Ecology 91:2198-2204.
7. Sorte CJB, Williams SL, Carlton JT (2010) Marine range shifts and species introductions: comparative spread rates and community impacts. Global Ecology and Biogeography 19:303-316.
6. Sorte CJB, *Fuller A, Bracken MES (2010) Impacts of a simulated heat wave on composition of a marine community. Oikos 119:1909-1918.
5. Harley CDG, Hughes AR, Hultgren K, Miner BG, Sorte CJB, Thornber CS, Rodriguez LF, Tomanek L, Williams SL (2006) The impacts of climate change in coastal marine systems. Ecology Letters 9:228-241.
4. Sorte CJB, Hofmann GE (2005) Thermotolerance and heat-shock protein expression in Northeastern Pacific Nucella species with different biogeographical ranges. Marine Biology 146:985-993.
3. Sorte CJB, Hofmann GE (2004) Changes in latitudes, changes in aptitudes: Nucella canaliculata (Mollusca: Gastropoda) is more stressed at its range edge. Marine Ecology Progress Series 274:263-268.
2. Halpin PM, Sorte CJ, Hofmann GE, Menge BA (2002) Patterns of variation in levels of Hsp70 in natural rocky shore populations from microscales to mesoscales. Integrative and Comparative Biology 42:815-824.
1. Sorte CJ, Peterson WT, Morgan CA, Emmett RL (2001) Larval dynamics of the sand crab, Emerita analoga, off the central Oregon coast during a strong El Niño period. Journal of Plankton Research 23:939-944.
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=6026|