Brandon John Brown
Director of Global Health Research, Education, and Translation Program (GHREAT)
|HPV, HIV, STDs, cervical cancer, genital warts, female sex workers, MSM, vaccines|
|URLs||UCI public health website|
|UCLA Program in Global Health|
|NGO Via Libre|
|Epicentro-mens community health center|
|International Ebola ethics panel|
Brandon has received several awards for his work on HPV, HIV, and cervical cancer prevention, including the Mary and Carl Taylor Fund in International Health, the Delta Omega scholarship, the Dan David Prize, the Clements Mann Fellowship in Vaccine Sciences, the Carol Eliasberg Martin scholarship in cancer prevention, and the International AIDS Research Travel Award.
Brandon teaches several courses, including Ethics and responsible conduct of research in public health, Introduction to ethics in public health, International Epidemiology, Sex trafficking, Advances in global health, Introduction to global health ,Honors Research,Upper division writing in public health
UCLA Program in Global Health
My research focuses on infectious diseases in developing countries. I have a large vaccination study with female sex workers (FSWs) in Peru. I also have ongoing studies of cancer screening, HPV, STIs, and HIV in FSWs and men who have sex with men (MSM). My new cohort study looks at the effect of genital warts on HIV incidence among high risk MSM. I have submitted grants for projects on syphilis, HIV and HPV in high risk groups, and setting up an STD lab in Peru.
Most recently my research has focused on Ebola. I have 5 Ebola journal articles accepted which will soon be online.
1. Petros G*, Airhihenbuwa CO, Simbayi L, Ramlagan S, Brown B. HIV/AIDS and OTHERING in South Africa: The Blame Goes On. Culture, Health and Sexuality 2006; 8(1): 67-77.
2. Brown BE and Brown BJ, M, Welch R, Cranston B, Hanchard B, Hisada M*. Haplotypes of IL6 and IL10 and Susceptibility to Human T Lymphotropic Virus Type I Infection among Children. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 2006; 194: 1565-9
3. Brown BJ, Huang M-H, Karlamangla AR, Kado DM*, and Seeman TE. APOE- ?4 and vitamins B6, B12, folate, or homocysteine interacting to predict cognitive function and longitudinal decline: MacArthur Studies of Successful Aging. Journal of Nutrition, Health, and Aging 2010.
4. Brown B, Carcamo C, Blas M, Valderrama M, and Halsey N*. Peruvian FSWs: understanding HPV and barriers to vaccination. Vaccine 28 (2010) 7743-7747.
5. Brown B, Blas M, Cabral A, Carcamo C, Gravitt P, Halsey N*. Oral sex practices, oral HPV, and correlations between oral and cervical HPV prevalence among female sex workers in Lima, Peru. International Journal of STDs and AIDS 2011; 22: 655-658.
6. Brown B*, Blas M, Cabral A, Byraiah G, Guerra-Giraldez C, Sarabia-Vega V, Carcamo C, Gravitt PE, Halsey NA. HPV Prevalence, Cervical Abnormalities, and Risk Factors among Female Sex Workers in Lima, Peru. International Journal of STDs and AIDS 2011; 23 242-247
7. Brown B*, Blas M, Cabral A, Carcamo C, Gravitt P, Halsey N. Randomized trial of HPV4 vaccine assessing the response to vaccine in two schedules among Peruvian FSWs. Vaccine 2012; 30: 2309-14.
8. Brown B* and Klausner JD. High-level evidence demonstrates male circumcision reduces Human Papilloma Virus infections. HPV Today n26.
9. Munoz K, Sharoff N, Brown B*. Reducing HPV Transmission in the Developing World through Education and Targeted Vaccination. Journal of Global Health Perspectives (Accepted October 3, 2012).
10. Brown B, Davtyan M, Galea J, Chow E, Leon S, Klausner J. The role of human papillomavirus in human immunodeficiency virus acquisition in men who have sex with men: a review of the literature. Viruses-Special Issue on HPV 2012; 4(12):3851-8.
11. Davtyan M, Munoz K, Urada L, Brown B. Transactional Sex-A Clients Perspective from Peru. Journal of Human Sexuality (Volume 16-March 12, 2013).
12. Brown B and Merritt M. Incentive Parameters for International Human Subjects Research in Low-Resource Settings. IRB: Ethics and Human Research 2013; 35(2): 14-17
13. Nurena C, Brown B, Galea J, Sanchez H, Blas M. HPV and genital warts among Peruvian men who have sex with men: Knowledge, attitudes and treatment experiences. PLoS One 2013; 8(3):e58684.
14. Nasiruddin M, Halabi M, Chen K, Dao A, Brown B. Zombies—A Pop Culture Resource for Public Health Awareness. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2013; 19(5): 809-813.
15. Brown B, Blas M, Heidari O, Carcamo C, Halsey N. HPV4 completion and reported change in sexual behaviors following HPV vaccination among FSWs in Peru. IJSA 2013; 24: 531-535.
16. Shroff N, Brown B, Kinsler J, Cabral B, Blas M, Carcamo C, Halsey N. Barriers and Facilitators in the Recruitment and Retention of Peruvian Female Sex Workers in an HPV Vaccine Trial. Vaccines and Vaccination 4: 198.
17. Deiss RG, Leon SL, Konda KA, Brown B, Segura ER, Galea JT, Caceres CF, Klausner JD. Characterizing the syphilis epidemic among men who have sex with men in Lima, Peru, to improve understanding of disease transmission and treatment. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013;13 (426): 1-7.
18. Soohoo M, Blas M, Carcamo C, Byraiah G, Brown B. Cervical HPV Infection in Female Sex Workers: A Global Perspective. Open AIDS 2013; 7: 58-66.
19. Moss T, Nguyen M, Martin C, Klausner J, Brown B. Integration of HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis testing at a Community Based STD Testing Facility in Miami, Florida. LGBT Health 2014; 1: 1-4.
20. Munoz K, Davtyan M, Brown B. Revisiting the Condom Riddle: Solutions and Implications. Electronic Journal of Human Sexuality (Volume 17-January 29, 2014).
21. Folayan MO, Haire B, Harrison A, Brown B, Odetoyingbo M. Ethical Issues in Adolescents Sexual and Reproductive Health Research in Nigeria. Developing World Bioethics (Published before print June 9, 2014).
22. Dutcuic T, Gorman N, Tanjisiri S, Brown B. A Preliminary Health Needs Assessment of the Romanian-American Population in the Southern California Region. California Journal of Health Promotion 2014; 12 (1): 53-61.
23. Brown B, Kinsler J, Ukpong M, Allen K. Post-Approval Monitoring and Oversight of U.S.-Initiated Human Subjects Research in Resource-Constrained Countries. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry 2014; 11 (2): 119-123.
24. Folayan MO, Peterson K, Haire B, Brown B, Audu K, Makanjuola O, Pelemo B, Marsh V. Debating ethics in HIV research: gaps between policy and practice in Nigeria. Developing World Bioethics 2014; 11:119–123.
25. Kinsler J, Blas M, Cabral A, Carcamo C, Halsey N, Brown B. Understanding STI/HIV risk and condom use patterns by partner type among female sex workers in Peru. Open AIDS 2014; 8: 17-20.
26. Brown B, Klausner K, Galea J, Leon S, Sanchez H, Calvo G. Risk factors for ano-genital warts in a community-based sample of HIV-uninfected MSM in Lima, Peru. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2014; 41: Suppl.1.
27. M Folayan, Gottemoeller M, Brown B, Mburu R. Getting to Zero the Biomedical Way in Africa: Outcomes of deliberation at the 2013 Biomedical HIV Prevention Forum in Abuja, Nigeria. BMC Proceedings 2014, 8(Suppl 3):S1 (11 September 2014)
28. Brown B, Folayan M, Imosili A, Durueke F. HIV self-testing in Nigeria: Public opinions and perspectives. Global Public Health 2014.DOI:10.1080/17441692.2014.947303
29. Brown B, Davtyan M, Fisher C. Peruvian FSW ethical perspectives on their participation in an HPV vaccine clinical trial. Ethics and Behavior (Accepted August 2014).
30. Folayan M, Odetoyinbo M, Harrison A, Brown B. Rape in Nigeria: a silent epidemic among adolescents with implications for HIV infection. Glob Health Action 2014, 7: 25583 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/gha.v7.25583
31. Heidari O, Ghuman P, Soohoo M, Davtyan M, Folayan M, Brown B. Using Financial Incentives for HIV Prevention Studies in Diverse Global Contexts- a Review of the Literature. Nigerian Journal of Health Sciences (Accepted August 2014).
32. Folayan MO, Odetoyinbo M, Harrison A, Brown B. Considerations in design, implementation and reporting of research involving adolescents living with HIV in Nigeria: experience from the field. Nigerian Journal of Health Sciences (Accepted August 2014).
33. Folayan MO, Odetoyinbo M, Brown B, Harrison A. The underserved sexual and reproductive health needs of adolescents living with HIV in Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Health Sciences (Accepted August 2014).
34. Brown B, Davtyan M, Leon S, Sanchez H, Klausner J, Galea J. A prospective cohort study to characterize the role of ano-genital warts in HIV acquisition among men who have sex with men in Lima, Peru. BMJ Open 2014;4:e005687.
35. Yakubu A, Folayan MO, Peterson K, Brown B. Ebola virus outbreak in Western Africa and the ethical obligation to provide care. Journal of Medical Ethics. Published Online First: September 9, 2014. doi:10.1136/medethics-2014-102434
36. Olusesan M, Olaleye L, Brown B. Medical tourism and the code of medical ethics on advertisement in Nigeria. Pan African Medical Journal (Accepted September 2014).
37. Folayan M, Brown B, Yakubu A, Peterson K, Haire B. Compassionate use of experimental interventions in the Ebola outbreak. The Lancet; 384 (9957): 1843-1844. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61605-6.
38. Haire B, Folayan M, Brown B. Development and Guidelines for the conduct of HIV research monitoring by ethics committees in Nigeria. African Journal of Reproductive Health (Accepted September 2014).
39. Folayan M, Odetoyinbo M, Harrison A, Brown B. Addressing the Socio-Development Needs of Adolescents Living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria: A call for action. African Journal of Reproductive Health September 2014 (Special Edition); 18(3): 92-100.
40. Folayan M, Odetoyinbo M, Harrison A, Brown B. Tackling the Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights of Adolescents Living with HIV/AIDS: A Priority Need in Nigeria. African Journal of Reproductive Health September 2014 (Special Edition); 18(3):101-117.
41. Folayan M, Haire B, Harrison A, Fatusi O, Brown B. Beyond Informed Consent: Other Ethical Considerations in the Design and Implementation of Sexual and Reproductive Health Research Among Adolescents. African Journal of Reproductive Health September 2014 (Special Edition); 18(3):118-125.
42. Brown B. High HPV prevalence and need for ancillary care. Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases 2014 Dec 15. pii: S1413-8670(14)00200-1. doi: 10.1016/j.bjid.2014.09.003. [Epub ahead of print].
43. Davtyan M, Brown B, Folayan M. Stigma-a comparison of HIV and Ebola epidemics. Global Health Action 2014, 7: 26058 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/gha.v7.26058
44. Folayan M, Brown B, Yakubu A. Black market blood transfusions for Ebola: potential for increases in other infections. Global Health Action 2014 Nov 17;7:26356. doi: 10.3402/gha.v7.26356. eCollection 2014.
45. Brown B. Public health education using pop culture and media. Frontiers in Public Health Education and Promotion Nov 10;2:231. eCollection 2014.
46. Brown B. Ebola as an opportunity to educate on vaccines. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry 2014 Dec;11(4):415-6. doi: 10.1007/s11673-014-9590-8.
47. Folayan MO, Odetoyingbo M, Brown B, Harrison A. Differences in sexual behaviour and practices of adolescents in Nigeria based on sex and self-reported HIV status. Reproductive Health 2014 Dec 6;11(1):83.
48. Khalessi P, Brown B. Factors impacting the perceptions of HPV and vaccine uptake among high school students in Orange County. California Journal of Health Promotion (Accepted December 2014).
49. Chi Low H, Silver M, Brown B, Leng CY, Blas MM, Gravitt PE, Woo YL. Comparison of Hybribio GenoArray and Roche HPV Linear Array for human papillomavirus genotyping in anal swab samples. Journal of Clinical Microbiology 2014 Dec 10. pii: JCM.02274-14. [Epub ahead of print]
50. Brown B. Promoting HPV vaccine based on the most relevant HPV data. HIV Medicine (Accepted December 2014).
51. Galea J, Kinsler J, Galan DB, Calvo G, Sanchez H, Leon S, Klausner JD, Brown B. The relationship between visible anogenital warts and HIV-related risk factors among Peruvian MSM and transwomen. STD (Accepted December 2014).
52. Folayan M, Brown B. Ebola and the limited effectiveness of travel restrictions. Disaster Medicine and Public Health Preparedness (Accepted December 2014).
|Grants||Merck IISP 39619: October 2011-December 2014~The role of Genital Warts in HIV acquisition among MSM in Peru|
|NIH R01 PAR-11-145 International Research in Infectious Diseases: July 2012-June 2017~Syphilis: Translating technology to understand a neglected epidemic|
Infectious Disease Society of America
Global Health Council
NGO Via Libre 2009—Pres
|Research Center||Global Health|
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=5873|