Brandon John Brown
Director of Global Health Research, Education, and Translation Program (GHREAT)
|HPV, HIV, STDs, cervical cancer, genital warts, female sex workers, MSM, vaccines|
|URLs||UCI public health website|
|UCLA Program in Global Health|
|NGO Via Libre|
|Epicentro-mens community health center|
Brandon has received several awards for his work on HPV, HIV, and cervical cancer prevention, including the Mary and Carl Taylor Fund in International Health, the Delta Omega scholarship, the Dan David Prize, the Clements Mann Fellowship in Vaccine Sciences, the Carol Eliasberg Martin scholarship in cancer prevention, and the International AIDS Research Travel Award.
Brandon teaches several courses, including Ethics and responsible conduct of research in public health, Introduction to ethics in public health, International Epidemiology, Sex trafficking, Advances in global health, Introduction to global health ,Honors Research,Upper division writing in public health
UCLA Program in Global Health
|My research focuses on infectious diseases in developing countries. I have a large vaccination study with female sex workers (FSWs) in Peru. I also have ongoing studies of cancer screening, HPV, STIs, and HIV in FSWs and men who have sex with men (MSM). My new cohort study looks at the effect of genital warts on HIV incidence among high risk MSM. I have submitted grants for projects on syphilis, HIV and HPV in high risk groups, and setting up an STD lab in Peru.|
1. Petros G*, Airhihenbuwa CO, Simbayi L, Ramlagan S, Brown B. HIV/AIDS and OTHERING in South Africa: The Blame Goes On. Culture, Health and Sexuality 2006; 8(1): 67-77.
2. Brown BE and Brown BJ, M, Welch R, Cranston B, Hanchard B, Hisada M*. Haplotypes of IL6 and IL10 and Susceptibility to Human T Lymphotropic Virus Type I Infection among Children. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 2006; 194: 1565-9
3. Brown BJ, Huang M-H, Karlamangla AR, Kado DM*, and Seeman TE. APOE- ?4 and vitamins B6, B12, folate, or homocysteine interacting to predict cognitive function and longitudinal decline: MacArthur Studies of Successful Aging. Journal of Nutrition, Health, and Aging 2010.
4. Brown B, Carcamo C, Blas M, Valderrama M, and Halsey N*. Peruvian FSWs: understanding HPV and barriers to vaccination. Vaccine 28 (2010) 7743-7747.
5. Brown B, Blas M, Cabral A, Carcamo C, Gravitt P, Halsey N*. Oral sex practices, oral HPV, and correlations between oral and cervical HPV prevalence among female sex workers in Lima, Peru. International Journal of STDs and AIDS 2011; 22: 655-658.
6. Brown B*, Blas M, Cabral A, Byraiah G, Guerra-Giraldez C, Sarabia-Vega V, Carcamo C, Gravitt PE, Halsey NA. HPV Prevalence, Cervical Abnormalities, and Risk Factors among Female Sex Workers in Lima, Peru. International Journal of STDs and AIDS 2011; 23 242-247
7. Brown B*, Blas M, Cabral A, Carcamo C, Gravitt P, Halsey N. Randomized trial of HPV4 vaccine assessing the response to vaccine in two schedules among Peruvian FSWs. Vaccine 2012; 30: 2309-14.
8. Brown B* and Klausner JD. High-level evidence demonstrates male circumcision reduces Human Papilloma Virus infections. HPV Today n26.
9. Munoz K, Sharoff N, Brown B*. Reducing HPV Transmission in the Developing World through Education and Targeted Vaccination. Journal of Global Health Perspectives (Accepted October 3, 2012).
10. Brown B, Davtyan M, Galea J, Chow E, Leon S, Klausner J. The role of human papillomavirus in human immunodeficiency virus acquisition in men who have sex with men: a review of the literature. Viruses-Special Issue on HPV 2012; 4(12):3851-8.
11. Davtyan M, Munoz K, Urada L, Brown B. Transactional Sex-A Clients Perspective from Peru. Journal of Human Sexuality (Volume 16-March 12, 2013).
12. Brown B and Merritt M. Incentive Parameters for International Human Subjects Research in Low-Resource Settings. IRB: Ethics and Human Research 2013; 35(2): 14-17
13. Nurena C, Brown B, Galea J, Sanchez H, Blas M. HPV and genital warts among Peruvian men who have sex with men: Knowledge, attitudes and treatment experiences. PLoS One 2013; 8(3):e58684.
14. Nasiruddin M, Halabi M, Chen K, Dao A, Brown B. Zombies—A Pop Culture Resource for Public Health Awareness. Emerging Infectious Diseases 2013; 19(5): 809-813.
15. Brown B, Blas M, Heidari O, Carcamo C, Halsey N. HPV4 completion and reported change in sexual behaviors following HPV vaccination among FSWs in Peru. IJSA 2013; 24: 531-535.
16. Shroff N, Brown B, Kinsler J, Cabral B, Blas M, Carcamo C, Halsey N. Barriers and Facilitators in the Recruitment and Retention of Peruvian Female Sex Workers in an HPV Vaccine Trial. Vaccines and Vaccination 4: 198.
17. Deiss RG, Leon SL, Konda KA, Brown B, Segura ER, Galea JT, Caceres CF, Klausner JD. Characterizing the syphilis epidemic among men who have sex with men in Lima, Peru, to improve understanding of disease transmission and treatment. BMC Infectious Diseases 2013;13 (426): 1-7.
18. Soohoo M, Blas M, Carcamo C, Byraiah G, Brown B. Cervical HPV Infection in Female Sex Workers: A Global Perspective. Open AIDS 2013; 7: 58-66.
19. Moss T, Nguyen M, Martin C, Klausner J, Brown B. Integration of HIV, syphilis, and hepatitis testing at a Community Based STD Testing Facility in Miami, Florida. LGBT Health 2014; 1: 1-4.
20. Munoz K, Davtyan M, Brown B. Revisiting the Condom Riddle: Solutions and Implications. Electronic Journal of Human Sexuality (Volume 17-January 29, 2014).
21. Folayan MO, Haire B, Harrison A, Brown B, Odetoyingbo M. Ethical Issues in Adolescents Sexual and Reproductive Health Research in Nigeria. Developing World Bioethics (Published before print June 9, 2014).
22. Dutcuic T, Gorman N, Tanjisiri S, Brown B. A Preliminary Health Needs Assessment of the Romanian-American Population in the Southern California Region. California Journal of Health Promotion 2014; 12 (1): 53-61.
23. Brown B, Kinsler J, Ukpong M, Allen K. Post-Approval Monitoring and Oversight of U.S.-Initiated Human Subjects Research in Resource-Constrained Countries. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry 2014; 11 (2): 119-123.
24. Folayan MO, Peterson K, Haire B, Brown B, Audu K, Makanjuola O, Pelemo B, Marsh V. Debating ethics in HIV research: gaps between policy and practice in Nigeria. Developing World Bioethics 2014; 11:119–123.
25. Kinsler J, Blas M, Cabral A, Carcamo C, Halsey N, Brown B. Understanding STI/HIV risk and condom use patterns by partner type among female sex workers in Peru. Open AIDS 2014; 8: 17-20.
26. Brown B, Klausner K, Galea J, Leon S, Sanchez H, Calvo G. Risk factors for ano-genital warts in a community-based sample of HIV-uninfected MSM in Lima, Peru. Sexually Transmitted Diseases 2014; 41: Suppl.1.
27. M Folayan, Gottemoeller M, Brown B, Mburu R. Getting to Zero the Biomedical Way in Africa: Outcomes of deliberation at the 2013 Biomedical HIV Prevention Forum in Abuja, Nigeria. BMC Proceedings 2014, 8(Suppl 3):S1 (11 September 2014)
28. Brown B, Folayan M, Imosili A, Durueke F. HIV self-testing in Nigeria: Public opinions and perspectives. Global Public Health 2014.DOI:10.1080/17441692.2014.947303
29. Brown B, Davtyan M, Fisher C. Peruvian FSW ethical perspectives on their participation in an HPV vaccine clinical trial. Ethics and Behavior (Accepted August 2014).
30. Folayan M, Odetoyinbo M, Harrison A, Brown B. Rape in Nigeria: a silent epidemic among adolescents with implications for HIV infection. Glob Health Action 2014, 7: 25583 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/gha.v7.25583
31. Heidari O, Ghuman P, Soohoo M, Davtyan M, Folayan M, Brown B. Using Financial Incentives for HIV Prevention Studies in Diverse Global Contexts- a Review of the Literature. Nigerian Journal of Health Sciences (Accepted August 2014).
32. Folayan MO, Odetoyinbo M, Harrison A, Brown B. Considerations in design, implementation and reporting of research involving adolescents living with HIV in Nigeria: experience from the field. Nigerian Journal of Health Sciences (Accepted August 2014).
33. Folayan MO, Odetoyinbo M, Brown B, Harrison A. The underserved sexual and reproductive health needs of adolescents living with HIV in Nigeria. Nigerian Journal of Health Sciences (Accepted August 2014).
34. Brown B, Davtyan M, Leon S, Sanchez H, Klausner J, Galea J. A prospective cohort study to characterize the role of ano-genital warts in HIV acquisition among men who have sex with men in Lima, Peru. BMJ Open 2014;4:e005687.
35. Yakubu A, Folayan MO, Peterson K, Brown B. Ebola virus outbreak in Western Africa and the ethical obligation to provide care. Journal of Medical Ethics. Published Online First: September 9, 2014. doi:10.1136/medethics-2014-102434
36. Olusesan M, Olaleye L, Brown B. Medical tourism and the code of medical ethics on advertisement in Nigeria. Pan African Medical Journal (Accepted September 2014).
37. Folayan M, Brown B, Yakubu A, Peterson K, Haire B. Compassionate use of experimental interventions in the Ebola outbreak. The Lancet, Early Online Publication, 12 September 2014 doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61605-6
|Grants||Merck IISP 39619: October 2011-December 2014~The role of Genital Warts in HIV acquisition among MSM in Peru|
|NIH R01 PAR-11-145 International Research in Infectious Diseases: July 2012-June 2017~Syphilis: Translating technology to understand a neglected epidemic|
Infectious Disease Society of America
Global Health Council
NGO Via Libre 2009—Pres
|Research Center||Global Health|
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=5873|