Kristen M. Kelly
Clinical Vice Chief, Dermatology
|Cutaneous Angiogenesis; Vascular Birthmarks; Photodynamic therapy of cutaneous lesions|
2010-2016 Physician of Excellence – Orange County Medical Association
2011-Present Castle Connolly’s Top Doctors
2011 Institute for Clinical and Translational Science Mentoring Award
2009 Dr. Horace Furumoto Innovations Professional Development Award
American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
2008 Key Professional Media Super Doctor - Key Professional Media, publishers of Super Doctors magazine, conducted an independent survey to identify top doctors in more than 30 specialties across Southern California. Thousands of ballots were sent to doctors, nurse practitioners and nurse managers, asking them to nominate doctors who they hold in high regard and whom they would select when asked "If you needed medical care, which doctor would you choose?"
2008 ASLMS Presidential Citation for contributions in port wine stain treatments and laser education; commitment to bridging the gap between basic science and cutaneous applications and integrity in enhancing laser dermatology
2008, 2010-2013 Physician of Excellence – Orange County Medical Association
1997 Outstanding Resident Teacher of the Year
1994 Outstanding Intern of the Year
1993 Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
1989 Summa Cum Laude
1989 Phi Beta Kappa
1987 American Heart Association Research Scholarship
Selected peer-reviewed publications (out of 91 total, in chronological order)
1. Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S. An Update on the Clinical Management of Port Wine Stains, Lasers in Medical Science 2000: 15,220-226.
2. Chang, C.J., Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S. Cryogen Spray Cooling and Pulsed Dye Laser Treatment of Cutaneous Hemangiomas. Annals of Plastic Surgery 2001:46, 577-583.
3. Nelson J.S., Kelly K.M., Zhao Y., Chen Z. Imaging Blood Flow in Human Port Wine Stain In-situ and In Real-time Using Optical Doppler Tomography. Archives of Dermatology 2001:137, 741-744.
4. Nelson, J.S., Majaron, B., Kelly, K.M. Active Skin Cooling in Conjunction with Laser Dermatologic Surgery: Methodology and Clinical Results. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery 2000:19,253-266.
5. Chang, C-J., Kelly, K.M., van Gemert M.J.C., Nelson J.S. Comparing the Effectiveness of 585 versus 595 nm Pulsed Dye Laser in Conjunction with Cryogen Spray Cooling During Port-Wine Stain Treatment. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 2002:31, 352-358.
6. Kelly, K.M., Nanda, V.S., Nelson, J.S. Treatment of Port Wine Stain Birthmarks Using the 1.5 ms Pulsed Dye Laser at High Fluences in Combination with Cryogen Spray Cooling. Dermatologic Surgery 2002: 28, 309-313.
7. Choi, B, Majaron, B, Vargas, G, Jung, B, Stumpp, O, Kang, NM, Kelly, KM, Welch, AJ, Nelson, JS. Photothermal tomography for imaging of cutaneous blood vessels: Preliminary in vivo results. Proceedings SPIE 2003, vol. 5047 (in press).
8. Jung, W.G., Kao, B., Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S., Chen, Z. Optical coherence tomography for in vitro monitoring of wound healing after laser irradiation. IEEE J Select Topics Quant Electr:2003 9, 222-226..
9. Kao, B., Kelly, K.M., Majaron, B., Nelson, J.S. Novel Model for Evaluation of Epidermal Preservation and Dermal Collagen Remodeling Following Photorejuvenation of Human Skin. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine:2003:32,115-119.
10. Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S., Svaasand, L.O. Optimization of safety for laser treatment in conjunction with cryogen spray cooling. Archives of Dermatology 2003:139, 1372-1373.
11. Selim, M.M., Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S., Wendelschafer-Crabb, G., Kennedy, W.R., Zelickson, B.D. Confocal microscopy study of nerves and blood vessels in untreated and treated port wine stains: preliminary observations. Dermatologic Surgery 2004: 30, 892-7.
12. Kelly, K.M., Kimel, S., Smith, T., Stacy, A., Hammer-Wilson, M.J., Svaasand, L.O., Nelson, J.S. Combined Photodynamic and Photothermal Induced Injury Enhances Damage to In Vivo Model Blood Vessels. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 2004:34, 407-13.
13. Khan, M.H., Choi, B., Chess, S., Kelly, K.M., McCullough, J., Nelson, J.S. Optical clearing of in vivo human skin: implications for light based diagnostic imaging and therapeutics. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine; 2004: 34, 83-85.
14. Kimel, S., Svaasand, L.O., Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S. Synergistic photodynamic and photothermal treatment of port wine stain? Lasers in Surgery and Medicine; 2004:34, 80-82.
15. Kao, B., Aguilar G., Kelly K.M., Hosaka Y., Barr R., Nelson J.S. In vitro evaluation of cryogen spray cooling exposure on model human skin. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine; 2004:34, 146-154.
16. Jung B., Choi B., Durin A.J., Kelly K.M., Nelson J.S. Characterization of Port Wine Stain Skin Erythema and Melanin Content Using Cross-Polarized Diffuse Reflectance Imaging. Lasers Surg Med, 2004:34, 174-181.
17. Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S., Svaasand, L.O. Further Investigation of Pigmentary Changes After Alexandrite Laser Hair Removal in Conjunction with Cryogen Spray Cooling. Dermatologic Surgery 2004:30, 581-2.
18. Khan, M.H., Chess, S., Choi, B., Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S. Can topically applied optical clearing agents increase the epidermal damage threshold and enhance therapeutic efficacy? Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 2004:35, 93-95.
19. Ramirez-San-Juan, J.C., Aguilar, G., Tuqan A.T., Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S. Skin model surface temperature during single and multiple cryogen spurts used in laser dermatologic surgery. Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 2005: 36:141-146.
20. Ramirez-San-Juan, J.C., Aguilar, G., Tuqan A.T., Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S. Evaluation of sub-zero and residence times after continuous versus multiple intermittent cryogen spray cooling exposure on human skin phantom in Proceedings of 2004 ASME International Mechanical Engineering Conference and Exposition (IMECE), November 13-19, 2004, Aneheim, CA, CD-ROM, Paper IMECE 2004-59635, ISBN: 0-7918-4178-2.
21. Smith TK, Choi B, Ramirez-San-Juan J, Nelson JS, Kelly KM. Evaluation of vascular effects of photodynamic and photothermal therapies using benzoporphyrin derivative monoacid ring A on a rodent dorsal skinfold model. In: Bartels KE, Bass LS, de Riese WT, Gregory KW, Hirschberg H, Katzir A, Kollias N, Madsen SJ, Malek RS., McNally-Heintzelman KM, Tate LP Jr., Trowers EA, Wong BJF, eds. Photonic Therapeutics and Diagnostics. Bellingham, Wash: International Society for Optical Engineering; 2005:14-21.
22. Sun, F., Wang, G.X., Kelly, K.M., Aguilar, G. A Numerical Model for Tissue Freezing in Cutaneous Cryosurgery using Liquid Nitrogen Spray in Proceedings of 5th Int. Symposium on Multiphase Flow, Heat Mass Transfer and Energy, Xi'an Jiaotong University, China, July 2005, ISBN 7-900661-48-4/Z.
23. Tuqan, A.T., Kelly, K.M., Aguilar, G., Ramirez-San-Juan, J.C., Sun, C-H., Cassarino, D., Derienzo, D., Barr, R.J., Nelson, J.S. Evaluation of single versus multiple cryogen spray cooling spurts on in vitro model human skin. Lasers Med Sci 2005;20:80-6.
24. Kelly, K.M., Choi, B., McFarlane, S., Motosue, A., Jung, B., Khan, M.H., Ramirez-San-Juan, J.C., Nelson, J.S. Description and analysis of treatments for port wine stain birthmarks. Arch Facial Plas Surg 2005;7:287-294.
25. Jung, B., Kim, C.-S., Choi, B., Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S. Use of erythema index imaging for systematic analysis of port wine stain skin response to laser therapy. Lasers Surg Med 2005; 37:186-191.
26. Datrice, N., Ramirez-San-Juan, J., Zhang, R., Mehskinpour, A., Aguilar G., Nelson , J.S., Kelly, K.M. Cutaneous Effects of Cryogen Spray Cooling on In Vivo Human Skin. Dermatologic Surgery 2006 ; 32:009-1014.
27. Zhong , R., Ramirez-San-Juan, J.C. Choi, B., Jia, W., Aguilar, G., Kelly, K.M., Nelson, J.S. Thermal response of ex vivo human skin during multiple cryogen spurts and 1,450 nm laser pulses. Lasers Surg Med 2006 Feb;38(2):137-41.
28. Smith, T.K., Choi, B., Ramirez-San-Juan, J., Nelson, J.S., Osann, K., Kelly, K.M. Microvascular blood flow dynamics associated with photodynamic therapy, pulsed dye laser irradiation and combined regimens. Lasers Surg Med 2006 Apr 13;38(5):532-539.
29. Sun, F., Wang, G.X., Kelly, K.M. Aguilar, G. “Thermal Analysis for Cryosurgery of Nodular Basal Cell Carcinoma”, Proceedings of 2006 ASME-IMECE (Accepted for publication).
30. McCullough J.L. and Kelly K.M. Prevention and Treatment of Skin Aging. Annals NY Acad Sci 2006; 1067:323-331.
31. Channual J, Choi B, Osann K, Pattanachinda D, Lotfi J, Kelly KM. Vascular effects of photodynamic and pulsed dye laser protocols. Lasers Surg Med 2008 Nov;40(9):644-50.
32. Choi B, Jia W, Channual J, Kelly KM, Lotfi J. The importance of long term monitoring to evaluate the microvasculature response to light-based therapies. J Invest Derm 2008; 128 (2), 455-458.
33. Kelly KM. Current treatment options for port wine stain birthmarks. Photodiag and Photodynamic Ther 2007; 4, 147—148.
34. Huang Y-C, Tran N, Shumaker PR, Kelly KM, Ross EV, Nelson JS, Choi B. Blood flow dynamics after laser therapy of port wine stain birthmarks. Accepted to LSM 2009.
35. Ayers F, Cuccia D, Kelly KM, Durkin AJ. Wide field spatial mapping of in-vivo tattoo skin optical properties using modulated imaging. Lasers Surg Med 2009 41:442-453.
Moy AJ, White MS, Indrawan ES, Lotfi J; Nudelman MJ; Costantini SJ; Agarwal N; Jia W, Kelly KM, Sorg BS, Choi B. Wide-field Functional Imaging of Blood Flow and Hemoglobin Oxygen Saturation in the Rodent Dorsal Window Chamber. Microvascular Research 2011; 82:199-209.
36. Saager R, Cuccia D, Saggese S, Kelly KM, Durkin AJ. Quantitative fluorescence imaging of Protoporphyrin IX though determination of tissue optical properties in the Spatial Frequency Domain. J. Biomed. Opt. 16, 126013 (2011), DOI:10.1117/1.3665440.
37. Nguyen JQM, Saager R, Cuccia DJ, Kelly KM, Hsiang D, and Durkin AJ. Effects of Motion on Optical Properties in the Spatial Frequency Domain, J Biomed Optics. 16, 126009 (2011), DOI:10.1117/1.3662454.
38. Moy WJ, Patel SJ, Lertsakdadet BS, Arora RP, Nielsen KM, Kelly KM, Choi B. Pre-clinical in vivo evaluation of nPe-6 mediated photodynamic therapy on normal vasculature. Laser Surg Med 2012; 44:158-162.
39. Aguilar G, Choi B, Broekgaarden M, Yang O, Yang B, Ghasri P, Chen J, Bezemer R, Nelson JS, van Drroge AM, Wolkerstorfer A, Kelly KM, Heger M. An overview of three promising mechanical, optical, and biochemical engineering approaches to improve selective photothermolysis of resistant port wine stains. Ann Biomed Eng. 2012 Feb;40(2):486-506.
40. Tremaine AM, Armstrong J, Huang Y-C, Elkeeb L, Ortiz A, Harris R, Choi B, Kelly KM. Enhanced port wine stain lightening achieved with combined treatment of selective photothermolysis and imiquimod. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2012 Apr;66(4):634-41.
41. Laquer VT, Dao BM, Pavlis JM, Nguyen AN, Chen TS, Harris RM, Rugg EL, Kelly KM. Immunohistochemistry of angiogenesis mediators before and after pulsed dye laser treatment of angiomas. Lasers Surg Med. 2012 Mar;44(3):205-10. doi: 10.1002/lsm.22005.
42. Truitt A, Elkeeb L, Ortiz A, Saedi N, Echague A, Kelly KM. Evaluation of a long pulsed 1064-nm Nd:YAG laser for improvement in appearance of cellulite. J Cosmet Laser Ther. 2012 Jun;14(3):139-44.
43. Chen JK, Ghasri P, Aguilar G, van Drooge M, Wolkerstorfer A, Kelly KM, Heger M. An overview of clinical and experimental treatment modalities for port wine stains. J Amer Acad Dermatol 2012 67(2): 289-304. PM22305042.
44. Patel AM, Chou EL, Findeiss L, Kelly KM. The Horizon for Treating Cutaneous Vascular Lesions. Seminars in Cutaneous Medicine and Surgery 2012 31(2) 98-104.
45. Mazhar A, Sharif SA, Nelson JS, Kelly KM, Choi B, Durkin AJ. Spatial frequency domain imaging of port wine stain biochemical composition lesions in response to laser therapy: A pilot study. Lasers Surg Med 2012 Aug 44(8): 611-21. PMC3490707, PM22911574.
46. Sun F, Martínez-Suástegui L, Wang G-X, Kelly KM, Aguilar G. Numerical prediction of the intracellular ice formation zone during cryosurgery on a nodular basal cell carcinoma using liquid nitrogen spray. Int J Spray Combustion Dynamics 2012 4(4) 341-380.
47. Saager R, Hassan K, Durkin AJ, Kelly KM. Quantitative Near Infrared Spectroscopic Analysis of Q-switched Nd:YAG Treatment of Generalized Argyria. Lasers Surg Med. 2013 Jan;45(1):15-21. doi: 10.1002/lsm.22084.
48. Laquer V, Hevezi PA, Albrecht H, Chen TS, Zlotnik A, Kelly KM. Microarray Analysis of Port Wine Stains Before and After Pulsed Dye Laser Treatment. Lasers Surg Med. 2013 Feb;45(2):67-75. doi: 10.1002/lsm.22087
49. Saager RB, Cuccia DJ, Saggese S, Kelly KM, Durkin AJ. A Light Emitting Diode Based Spatial Frequency Domain Imaging System for Optimization of Photodynamic Therapy of Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer: Quantitative Reflectance Imaging. Lasers Surg Med. 2013;45:207-215.
50. Balu M, Kelly KM, Zachary C, Harris RM, Krasieva TB, Konik K, Tromberg BJ; Clinical studies of pigmented lesions in human skin by using a multiphoton tomograph Proc. SPIE 8588, Multiphoton Microscopy in the Biomedical Sciences XIII, 858812.
51. Saager RB, Cuccia DJ, Saggese S, Kelly KM, Durkin AJ. A Light Emitting Diode Based Spatial Frequency Domain Imaging System for Optimization of Photodynamic Therapy of Nonmelanoma Skin Cancer: Quantitative Reflectance Imaging. Lasers Surg Med. 2013;45:207-215. PMID: 23619900
52. Balu M, Kelly KM, Zachary C, Harris R, Krasieva T, Koenig K, Tromberg B. Distinguishing between benign and malignant melanocytic nevi by in vivo multiphoton microscopy. Cancer Research; 2014 May:74(10); 2688–97. PMID: 24686168
53. Ortiz AE, Truong S, Serowka K, Kelly KM. 1320 nm Laser to Improve the Appearance of Onychomycosis. Dermatol Surg. 2014 Dec; 40(12):1356-60. PMID: 25357174
54. Kelly KM, Moy WJ, Moy AJ, Lertsakdadet BS, Moy JJ, Nguyen E, Nguyen A, Osann KE, Choi B. Talaporfin sodium-mediated photodynamic therapy alone and in combination with pulsed dye laser on cutaneous vasculature. J Invest Dermatol. 2015 Jan;135(1):302-4. PMID: 25036051
55. Saager RB, Balu M, Crosignanci V, Sharif A, Durkin AJ, Kelly KM, Tromberg BJ. In Vivo Measurements of Cutaneous melanin across spatial scales using combined Multiphoton Microscopy and Spatial Frequency Domain Spectroscopy. J Biomed Optics 2015 Jun;20(6):066005. PMID: 26065839.
56. Yang B, Yang O, Guzman J, Nguyen P, Crouzet C, Osann KE, Kelly KM, Nelson JS, Choi B. Intraoperative, real-time monitoring of blood flow dynamics associated with laser surgery of port wine stain birthmarks. Lasers Surg Med 2015. 2015 Aug;47(6):469-75. PMID: 26040983
57. Moy W, Yakel JD, Osorio C, Salvador J, Hayakawa C, Kelly KM, Choi, B. Targeted narrowband intense pulsed light on cutaneous vasculature. Lasers Surg Med 2015; 47:651-657. PMID: 26227344.
58. Choi B, Tan W, Jia W, White SM, Moy W, Yang B, Zhu J, Chen Z, Kelly KM, Nelson JS. The role of laser speckle imaging in port-wine stain research: Recent advances and opportunities. IEEE J Sel Top Quantum Electron. 2016 May-Jun 2016 (3). PMID: 27013846.
59. Saager R, Sharif A, Kelly KM, Durkin AJ. In vivo isolation of the effects of melanin from underlying hemodynamics across skin types using Spatial Frequency Domain Spectroscopy (SFDS). J. Biomed. Opt. 2016; 21(5), 057001. PMID: 27143641
|Grants||1/05-1/06 Sturge-Weber Foundation Grant 7/04-3/08 NIH R03 Photodynamic and Photothermal treatment of Port Wine Stain 6/02-6/05 Dermatology Foundation Clinical Career Development Award 10/01-10/03 A.Ward Ford Grant – American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery 6/03-9/04 Thermage Corporation Research Grant 9/06-5/08 Candela Corporation Research Grant ($45,000) 4/06-present 3M Research Grant ($20,000) 4/07-present Faculty Sponsor for American Society of Dermatologic Surgery Grant Resident: Doug Fife; LED photomodulation for prevention of post-radiation treatment dermatitis: A prospective, randomized, controlled study 1/07-1/09 Faculty Sponsor for Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Student Service Award Students: Jennifer Channual and Kristy Davis Skin Cancer Awareness, Education and Detection for Cosmetologists and Allied Health Professionals 6/08-8/08 Faculty Sponsor for Dean’s Summer Research Stipend Student: Natalie Hoffman: Vascular effects of pulsed dye laser in combination with anti-angiogenic agents 6/08-8/08 Faculty Sponsor for Dean’s Summer Research Stipend Student: David Rayhan: Investigation of a novel photosensitizer, nanoparticle indocyanine green, for cutaneous photodynamic therapy 7/08-9/08 Faculty sponsor for medical Student American Heart Association Grant Student: Van T.L. Hoang; Role of Angiogenesis in Dermatologic Diseases: A Potential Therapeutic Target 7/08-9/08 Faculty sponsor for undergraduate student Undergraduate Student Research Opportunities award ($500); Student Carlos Cossio Effects of Indocyanine Green in Combination with 755 nm Laser on Mouse Microvasculature 2/08-7/09 Project Title: SEAtreat Cancer Technology / SEAtreat Photodynamic Therapy Sponsor: US Army Medical Research & Material Command AJ Durkin, PI on UCI subcontract, Kristen M. Kelly, Clinical Lead Summary: This is a collaborative project between UCI, Modulated Imaging Inc. and Science & Engineering Associates (SEA) Inc.|
|7/10-7/11 NIH Shared Instrumentation Grant Award: $450,000 Project Title: Multiwavelength Diode Laser System Role: PI|
|1/11-Present UC Irvine Cancer Center Seed Grant Award: $14,089 Project Title: Regarding Role of Metabolic Enzymes in Skin Cancer: Potential for Informative Biomarkers and Therapeutic Targets Role: Clinical PI|
|7/10-Present NIH R01 Award: $1,016,750 (direct cost) over 5 years Project Title: Novel Treatment Approach for Vascular Birthmarks Role: PI|
|10/11-Present Faculty Sponsor for American Society of Dermatologic Surgery Grant Award: $10,000 Resident: Arisa Ortiz Project Title: A Randomized, Placebo-Controlled Study of the 1320 nm Nd:YAG Laser for Treatment of Onychomycosis Role: PI|
|3/14-3/16 Sturge Weber Foundation Grant Project Title: Vascularized Port Wine Stain Skin Model for Evaluation of Cell Types in Lesion Pathogenesis|
|10/14-2/17 1R44CA183169-01A1 PI: Dan Farkas (SMI Inc), AJ Durkin Subcontract (UCI) NIH/NIBIB Phase 1/Phase 2 SBIR NIH/NCI via Spectral Molecular Imaging Total (direct+indirect): $190,000 to UCI 0.24 cal mo. Hyperspectral Imaging based Multimode Dermoscope for Early Melanoma Detection Role: Co-Investigator|
Fellow American Academy of Dermatology
Member Orange County Dermatologic Society
Member American Society for Dermatologic Surgery
Member American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=5703|