Sumit (Sam) Garg
Associate Professor of Ophthalmology
Medical Director - Gavin Herbert Eye Institute
Vice Chair of Clinical Ophthalmology
|Cataract Surgery, Mulitfocal Intraocular Lens, Toric Intraocular Lens, Refractive Surgery, LASIK, PRK, Corneal Surgery, Corneal Transplant, DSEK, Pterygium Surgery, Keratoconus, Collagen Crosslinking, INTACs, Implantable Mini Telescope (IMT)|
2013 – Recognized in Best Doctors for 2013
2013 – Recognized in Super Doctors “Rising Stars” for 2013
2013 – Recognized in Academic Keys Who's Who in Medicine Higher Education
2013 – Patients’ Choice – One of California’s Favorite Physician Award
2013 – Recognized in Who’s Who in America Sixty Eighth Edition 2014
2014 – Recognized in Best Doctors for 2014
2014 – Vitals Patients’ Choice Compassionate Doctor Award
2014 – Recognized in Super Doctors “Rising Stars” for 2014
2014 – Recognized in Vitals Most Compassionate Doctor
2014 – Recognized in Vitals Top 10 Doctor (Ophthalmologist)
2015 – Recognized in Orange County Physicians of Excellence
2015 – Recognized in Super Doctors “Rising Stars” for 2015
2015 – Recognized in Best Doctors for 2015
2015 – Castle Connolly's 2015 Top Doctors Award
2016 – Recognized in Who's Who in Science and Engineering Twelfth Edition 2016
2016 – Recognized in Orange County Physician of Excellence
2016 – Recognized in Best Doctors for 2016
2016 – Castle Connolly's 2016 Top Doctors Award
2016 – The 2016 America’s Most Honored Professional Award
2016 – Recognized in Ocular Surgery News as a Premier 300 Refractive Cataract Surgeon
2016 – Castle Connolly's 2016 Top Doctors Award
2016– Recognized in The Leading Physicians of the World as a Top Ophthalmologist by the International Association of Ophthalmologist (IAO)
2017 – Recognized in Who's Who in Science and Engineering Twelfth Edition 2017
Articles – Peer Reviewed
3. Almony, A., Garg, S., Tsong, J., Peters, R.K., Meihmadi, R., Shibuya, B., Kitridou, R., Sadun, A.A. Threshold Amsler Grid as a Screening Tool for Asymptomatic Patients on Hydroxychloroquine Therapy. Br J Ophthal. 2005 May; 89(5):569-74.
4. Garg S., Said B., Farid M., Steinert RF. Prevalence of Positive Microbiology Results From Donor Cornea Tissue in Different Methods of Corneal Transplantation. Cornea 2013 Feb; 32(2):137-40. PMID: 22580430
5. Asota I., Farid M., Garg S., Steinert RF. Femtosecond Laser Enabled Keratoplasty. International Ophthalmology Clinics. Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins. Spring 2013; 53(2); 103-14. PMID: 23470593.
6. Wade M, Steinert R, Garg S, Farid M, Gaster R. Results of toric intraocular lenses for post-keratoplasty astigmatism. Ophthalmology 2014 March; 121(3): 771-777.
7. Farid M, Chak G, Steinert R, Garg S. Reduction in mean deviation values in automated perimetry in eyes with multifocal compared to monofocal intraocular lens implants. The American Journal of Ophthalmology. 2014 August; 158 (2): 227-231.
8. Khan A., Srivastava R., Spencer D., Garg S., Fremgen D., Vahed H., Lopes P., Pham T., Hewett C., Kuang J., Ong N., Huang L., Scarfone V., Nesburn A., Wechsler S., and BenMohamed L. Contributing Author for manuscript "Phenotypic and Functional Characterization of Herpes Simplex Virus Glycoprotein B Epitope-specific Effector and Memory CD8+ T Cells from Ocular Herpes Symptomatic and Asymptomatic Individuals.” Accepted for Publication. Journal of Virology.
9. Jerry R. Paugh, Alba Alfonso Garcia, Sumit Garg, Marjan Farid, Eric Potma, James V. Jester Contributing Author for ARVO Poster: “Assesing Meibum Quality in MGD subjects using stimulated Raman Spectroscopy” Poster presented at the ARVO annual meeting, Denver, Colorado, May, 2015, IOVS 56; ARVO Abstracts, Program # 308.
10. David Boyerm K. Bailey Freund, Carl Regillo, Marc H. Levy, Sumit Garg, Co_Authors: “ Long-term (60-month) results for the implantable miniature telescope: efficacy and safety outcomes stratified by age in patients with end-stage age-related macular degeneration” Clinical Ophthalmology, Dove Press
11. Behshad S, Tucker J, Garg S. Toric Intraocular Lens Alignment: Manual Versus Automated Alignment Techniques for Toric IOLs. International Ophthalmology Clinics. 2016 Jun; 56 (3)71–84.
12. Behshad S, Jacobsen BH, Pinney E, Wade M, Garg S. Endothelial Kertoplasty Safety-Basket Suture for Management of Difficult Cases. Journal of Cornea. 2016 Jun; 35 (6)908–910. PMID: 27100656
Articles – Non Peer Reviewed
6. Garg S. “Transitioning to Venturi Cataracta Surgery.” Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today, August 2012, pages 35-36.
7. Farid, M., Garg, S. (co-authors). “Toric options benefit patients, surgeons.” Ocular Surgery News. July 25, 2013.
8. Garg S. “IOL calculations in post-LASIK eyes pose numerous challenges.” Ocular Surgery News. April 24, 2013.
9. Garg S., Farid M. “Toric options benefit patients, surgeons.” Ocular Surgery News. July 25, 2013.
10. Garg S. “My Preferred Phaco Platform”. Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today. January 2014.
11. “Updates from the 9th International Congress of Corneal Cross-Linking”. The National Keratoconus Foundation. 2014 Winter Newsletter.
12. “Pearls for Creating Quality Surgical Video.” Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today. March 2014.
13. “What You Need to Know About Cataracts”. The Discovery Eye Foundation Blog. June 5, 2014.
14. “Rethinking Cataract Surgery in Advanced AMD.” Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today. September 2014.
15. “Blocking Portions of the Spectrum.” Defining Excellence in IOL Optics. Supplement to EyeWorld. December 2014.
16. “Cataract Surgery and Keratoconus”. The Discovery Eye Foundation Blog. Jan 8, 2015.
17. Garg S. “Dry Eye Diagnosis.” The Discovery Eye Foundation, August 2015.
18. Garg, S. “Lessons Learned from My Early Experiences with Laser Cataract Surgery”. Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today. February 2016.
19. Garg, S. “Efficiency in the OR and Clinic”. Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today. February 2016.
20. Behshad, S., Garg, S. “Toric IOLs: Options for Alignment” Millennial Eye. February 2016.
21. Balakrishnan, A., Colvard, M., Fram, N., Garg, S., Matossian, C., Lesniak, S., Ayres, B.D. “Posttraumatic White Cataract.” Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today. July 2016.
1. Garg S., Steinert RF. “Corneal Imaging: Clinical”. In: Darlene A. Dartt, editor. Encyclopedia of the Eye. Vol 1. Oxford: Academic Press; 2010. pp 463-484.
2. Garg, S. McColgin, A., Steinert RF. LASIK. Duane’s Ophthalmology, 2010 Edition.
3. Garg, S. McColgin, A., Steinert RF. Adavanced Surface Ablation: PRK, LASEK, Epi-LASIK, and Epi-LASEK. Duane’s Ophthalmology, 2010 Edition.
4. Garg, S. McColgin, A., Steinert RF. Phototherapeutic Keratectomy (PTK). Duane’s Ophthalmology, 2010 Edition.
5. Garg S., Farid M., Steinert RF. Femtosecond Laser Keratoplasty (FLK). Clinical Atlas of Procedures in Ophthalmic Surgery, 2010.
6. Farid, M., Garg, S., Steinert, RF. Femtosecond Laser-Assisted Penetrating Keratoplasty. Cornea 3e. Elsevier. 2011, Chapter 115, pp 1349-1353.
7. Garg S, Farid, M and Steinert RF. Femtosecond Laser Keratoplasty (FLK), Clinical Atlas of Procedures in Ophthalmic and Oculofacial Surgery, Second Edition, Oxford University Press, 2011, Chapter 28, Pages 280-291.
8. Farid M, Garg S, Steinert RF. Femtosecond Laser Keratoplasty (FLK), Copeland and Afshari's Principles and Practice of Cornea. Jaypee Brothers Medical Publishers 2012, Volume 2, Chapter 115, Pages 1421-1426.
9. Garg, S. Microscope Basics. Garg & Steinert. Ophthalmic Microsurgery: Principles, Techniques, and Applications. SLACK Incorporated, 2014 Edition.
10. Garg, S. Ophthalmic Viscosurgical Devices. Garg & Steinert. Ophthalmic Microsurgery: Principles, Techniques, and Applications. SLACK Incorporated, 2014 Edition.
11. Garg, S. Corneal Surgery. Garg & Steinert. Ophthalmic Microsurgery: Principles, Techniques, and Applications. SLACK Incorporated, 2014 Edition.
1. Garg, S., Steinert, RF. Ophthalmic Microsurgery: Principles, Techniques, and Applications. SLACK Incorporated, 2014 Edition.
American Academy of Ophthalmology
American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
Orange County Society of Ophthalmology
Orange County Cornea Society
The Cornea Society
The International Society of Refractive Surgery
The International Scoiety of Ophthalmologists
Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons
California Medical Association
Orange County Medical Association
Orange County Society of Ophthalmology
Southern California Cornea Society
Vanguard Ophthalmology Society
Eye Bank Association of America (EBAA) Accreditation Board
Fellowship - Corneal and Refractive Surgery
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=5642|