Sherrie H. Kaplan
Assistant Vice Chancellor, Healthcare Measurement and Evaluation
Executive Co-Director, Health Policy Research Institute
|evaluating quality of care for chronic disease in both adults and children, increasing patient participation in treatment decisions, health status and quality of life assement, changing physician and patient behavior and doctor-patient communication|
1. Roblin DW, Kaplan SH, et al. Collaborative Clinical Culture And Primary Care Outcomes, AHSR National Meeting June 2002. Selected as 1 of the 3 Top Rated Abstracts of 700 submitted.
2. Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Wilson IB, Terrin N, Connor M. “The failure of health plans to bridge the gap between fee for service and health maintenance organizations,” J Gen Int Med 1999; 14(2):100.
3. Kaplan SH, Dukes KA, Sullivan LM, Tripp TJ, Greenfield S. “Is passivity a risk factor for poor health outcomes”? J Gen Int Med 1996: 11(Supp 1):76.
4. Kaplan SH, Khan A, Shea J, Schwartz S, Greenfield S. “Fair [Overweight] and Forty: The Relationship of Body Image to Functional Status for Men and Women with Gallbladder Disease”, J Gen Int Med 1996: 11(Supp 1):76.
5. Spetter DS, Kaplan SH, Khan A, Barlow S, Grand R. “Family illness burden and health status in the parents of children with chronic disease”. Presented at the Great Lakes Regional conference of the Society of Pediatric Psychology, April 27, 1996, Toronto, Canada.
6. Kaplan SH, Barlow S, Spetter DS, Sullivan LM, Khan A, Grand R. “Assessing Functional Status and Health-Related Quality of Life among School-Aged Children: Reliability and Validity of a New Self-Reported Measure”. Presented at the International Society for Quality of Life Research, 1995, Montreal, Canada.
7. Kaplan SH, Sullivan LM Dukes KA, Khan A, Wilson IB, Wagner E, Shea J, Schwartz S, Greenfield S. “Underestimating the Hassle Factor: Using Disease-Specific vs. General Health Status Measures to Evaluate Medical Care”. J Gen Int Med 1995; 10(Apr Supp):69.
8. Greenfield S, Sullivan LM, Dukes KA, D’Agostino R, Dittus R, Wagner E, Kaplan SH. “Estimating the Impact of Total Illness Burden on Patient Outcomes Among Patients with Non-Insulin Dependent Diabetes: A Comparison of Three Co-Morbidity Measures”. J Gen Int Med 1995; 10(Apr Supp):67.
9. Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Khan A. “Outcome assessment of the effectiveness of watchful waiting vs. laparoscopic or traditional cholecystectomy for symptomatic gallstone patients,” J Gen Int Med 1994; 9 (4) Suppl 2: 58.
10. Kaplan SH, Greenfield S. “Gender differences in physician-patient communication for patients seeing the same and opposite gender physicians”. Clin Res 1991; 39(2):627A.
11. Kaplan SH, Ware JE, Jr., Greenfield S. “The Distinction between Quality of Life and Subjective Measures of Health Status,” Clin Res 1988; 36(3):724A.
12. Murray JP, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH. “Can a Capitation Program Reduce Costs without Compromising Outcomes?” Clin Res 1988; 36(3):725A.
13. Kravitz RL, Greenfield S, Rogers WH, Hallowell L, Kaplan SH, Hays R, Ware JE, Jr. “Disease Severity among Patients Treated by Internists and Family Practitioners,” Clin Res 1988; 36(3):724A.
14. Kaplan SH, Ware JE, Jr., Greenfield S. “Effect of Patient Attitudes on Success of Programs Designed to Expand Patient Involvement in Care,” Clin Res 1986; 34(2):822A,.
1. Ngo-Metzger N, Kaplan SH, Sorkin D, Clarridge B, Phillips R. Surveying Minorities with Limited English Proficiency: Does Data Collection Method Affect Data Quality Among Asian American? Medical Care. In Press.
2. Schneider J, Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Wenjun L, Wilson I. Better Physician-Patient Relationships are Associated With Higher Reported Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy in Patients with HIV Infection. JGIM. In Press.
3. Weitzman S, Tabenkin H, Plakht Y, Friger M, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH. Patients’ participation improves diabetes-related outcomes in primary care. The DIABRICARE Study. In Preparation.
4. Kaplan SH, Greenfield S. The Patient’s Role in Reducing Ethnic and Minority Health Disparities. Ann Int Med, Editorial. In Press.
5. Litwin M, Elkin E, Lubeck D, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH. Assessment of Future Health Based on Current Comorbidity in Men with Prostate Cancer: Testing of the TIBI-CAP. In Preparation.
6. Litwin M, Lubeck D, Elkin E, Broering J, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH. Prediction of Future Health Using Current Comorbidities: Validation of the TIBI-CaP. In Preparation.
7. Roblin D, Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Roberts M. Associations of Patient Satisfaction with Health Care Professionals' Perceptions of Teamwork, Practice Design, and Morale in the Primary Care Practice of a Managed Care Organization. In Preparation.
8. Roblin D, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH. Associations of Quality of Care with Physician Characteristics and Practice Culture in the Primary Care Practice of a Managed Care Organization. In Preparation.
9. Schneider J, Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Wenjun Li, Wilson IB. Quality of Physician-Patient Relationships, Attitude Towards Antiretrovirals, Age, and Mental Health Predict Self-Reported Adherence to Antiretroviral Therapy. Under Review.
10. De Berardis G, Pelligrini F, Franciosi M, Belfiglio M, Di Nardo B, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Rossi M, Sacco M, Tognoni G, Valentini M, Nicolucci A. The QuED Study Group - Quality of Care and Outcomes in Type 2 Diabetes. Diabetes Care 2004;27:398-406.
11. Pelligrini F, Belfiglio M, De Berardis G, Franciosi M, Di Nardo B, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Sacco M, Tognoni G, Valentini M, Corrado D, D’Ettoree A, Nicolucci A. Poor Blood Pressure Control is Dependent on Organizational Factors in Type 2 Diabetic Patients. Arch Int Med 2003; 163:473-80.
12. De Berardis G, Franciosi M, Belfiglio M, Di Nardo B, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Pellegrini F, Sacco M, Tognoni G, Valentini M, Nicolucci A. Erectile Dysfunction and Quality of Life in Type 2 Diabetic Patients: A Serious Problem Too Often Overlooked. Diabetic Care 2002;25:284-91.
13. Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Kahn R, Ninomiya J, Griffith J. Profiling Care Provided by Different Groups of Physicians: Effects of patient case-mix (bias) and physician-level clustering on quality assessment results. Ann Int Med, 2002;136:111-121.
14. Franciosi M, Pellegrini F, De Berardis G, Belfiglio M, Cavaliere D, Di Nardo B, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Sacco M, Tognoni G, Valentini M, Nicolucci A. The Impact of Blood Glucose Self-Monitoring on Metabolic Control and Quality of Life in Type 2 Diabetic Patients: An Urgent Need for Better Educational Strategies. Diabetes Care 2001; 24:1870-1877.
15. Oliver J, Kravitz R, Kaplan SH, Meyers, F. Individualized patient education and coaching to improve pain control among cancer outpatients. J Clinical Oncology 2001; 19(8):2206-2212.
16. Belfiglio M, De Berardis G, Franciosi M, Cavaliere D, Di Nardo B, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, et al. The relationship between physicians' self-reported target fasting blood glucose levels and metabolic control in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care 2001; 24(3): 423-429.
17. Wilson IB, Dukes KA, Greenfield S, Kaplan, SH, Hillman, B. Patient’s role in the use of radiology testing for common office practice complaints. Archives of Internal Medicine 2001; 161(2): 256-63.
18. Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Connolly GA, Barlow S, Grand R. Methodologic issues in the conduct and interpretation of pediatric effectiveness research. Amb Peds 2001; 1(1): 63-70.
19. Wilson IB, Kaplan, SH. Physician-patient communication in HIV disease: the importance patient, physician and visit characteristics. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr, 2000; 25(5): 417-25.
20. Kaplan, SH, Kravitz, RL, Greenfield, S. Using health status for treatment effectiveness and quality of care: A critique”. Med Care 2000; 38(9) Suppl II: 184-91.
21. Parsons, SK, Barlow, SE, Levy SL, Supran SE, Kaplan SH. Health-related quality of life in pediatric bone marrow transplant survivors: According to whom? Int J Cancer Suppll 1999;12: 46-51
22. Stier DM, Greenfield S, Lubeck DP, Dukes KA, Flanders SC, Henning JM, Weir J, Kaplan SH. Quantifying comorbidity in a disease-specific cohort: Adaptation of the Total Illness Burden Index to prostate cancer. Urology 1999; 54(3): 424-429.
23. Hofer TP, Hayward RA, Greenfield S, Wagner EH, Kaplan SH, Manning WG. The un-reliability of individual physician “report cards” for assessing the costs and quality of care of a chronic disease. JAMA 1999; 281: 2098-2105.
24. Kaplan SH. Coaching children to participate in health care decision making. Qual. Lett. Healthc. Lead 1999; 11(1):11-14.
25. Schaller JG and Kaplan SH. The future of women in pediatrics. Pediatr Ann 1999; 28(3):190-193.
26. Silliman RA, Dukes KA, Sullivan LM, Kaplan SH. Breast cancer care in older women: Sources of information, social support, and emotional health outcomes. Cancer 1998; 83(4):706-711.
27. Hayward RA, Manning WG, Kaplan SH, Wagner EH, Greenfield S. Starting insulin therapy in patients with Type 2 diabetes: Effectiveness, complications, and resource utilization. JAMA 1997: 278(20):1663-1669.
28. Silliman RA, Troyan SL, Guadagnoli E, Kaplan SH, Greenfield S. The impact of age, marital status, and physician-patient interactions on the care of older women with breast carcinoma. Cancer 1997:80(7):1326-1334.
29. Meigs JB, Singer, DE, Sullivan, LM, Dukes KA, D’Agostino, RB, Nathan DM, Wagner EH, Kaplan, SH, Greenfield, S. Metabolic control and prevalent cardiovascular disease in non-insulin dependent diabetes mellitus (NIDDM): The NIDDM Patient Outcomes Research Team. Am J Med 1997; 102(39):38-47.
30. Kaplan SH. Satisfaction surveys: Does the information make a difference? Clin Perform Qual Health Care. 1996; Oct-Dec; 4(4):216-217.
31. Kaplan SH, Sullivan LM, Dukes KA, Phillips CF, Kelch RP, Schaller JG. Sex differences in academic advancement: Results of a national study of pediatricians. New Eng J Med October 1996; 335(17); 1282-1289.
32. Meredith LS, Wells KB, Kaplan SH, Mazel RM. Counseling typically provided for depression: Role of clinician specialty and payment system. Archives of General Psychiatry October 1996; 53(10):905-912.
33. Kaplan SH, Sullivan LM. Maximizing the quality of the physician-patient encounter. J Gen Int Med 1996; 11(3):187-188.
34. Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Gandek B, Rogers W, Ware JE, Jr. Characteristics of physicians with participatory decision-making styles. Ann Int Med 1996; 24:497-504.
35. Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Purdy S. “Measuring Health Care Quality: Diabetes”. AHCPR Discussion Paper. AHCPR Pub. No. 96-N022.
36. Kaplan SH, Gandek B, Greenfield S, Rogers W, Ware JE, Jr. Patient and visit characteristics related to physician’s participatory decision-making style: Results from the Medical Outcomes Study. Med Care 1995; 33(12):1176-1187.
37. Eckman ME, Greenfield S, Mackey WC, Wong JB, Kaplan SH, Sullivan L, Dukes KA, Pauker SG. Foot infections in diabetic patients: Decision and cost-effectiveness Analyses. JAMA 1995; 273(9):712-720.
38. Greenfield, S, Sullivan, LM, Dukes, KA, Silliman, R, D'Agostino, R, Kaplan, SH. Development and testing of a new measure of case-mix for use in office practice. Med Care 1995; 33(4):AS47-AS56.
39. Sullivan, LM, Dukes, KA, Harris, L, Dittus, R, Greenfield, S, Kaplan, SH. “A comparison of various methods of collecting self-reported health status data among low income and minority patients. Med Care 1995; 3(4): AS183-AS194.
40. Wilson, IB, Kaplan, SH. Clinical practice and patients’ health status: How are the two related? Med Care 1995; 33(4):AS209-AS214.
41. Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Silliman R, Sullivan L, D'Agostino R, Manning WG, Singer D. The use of quality of life outcomes for medical effectiveness reimbursement and quality of care in Type II diabetes. Diabetes Care 1994; 17(1):32-39.
42. Goldberg HI, Cummings MA, Steinberg EP, Ricci EM, Shannon T, Soumerai SB, Mittman BS, Eisenberg J, Heck DA , Kaplan SH, et al. Deliberations on the dissemination of PORT products: Translating research findings into improved patient outcomes. Med Care 1994; 32(7):JS90-JS110.
43. Greenfield S, Sullivan LM, Silliman RA, Dukes KA, Kaplan SH. Principles and practice of case mix adjustment: Applications to end stage renal disease. Am J Kidney Dis 1994; 24(2):298-307.
44. Kaplan SH, Greenfield S. Evaluation of new statewide health reform initiatives. Milbank Mem Fund Q 1994; 72(4):695-699.
45. DiMatteo MR, Sherbourne CD, Hays RD, Ordway L, Kravitz RL, McGlynn EA, Kaplan S, Rogers WH. Physicians' characteristics influence patients' adherence to medical treatment: Results from the Medical Outcomes Study. Health Psychology 1993; 12(2):93-102.
46. Kaplan S, Greenfield S. Enlarging patient responsibility: Strategies to increase patients’ involvement in their health care. Forum 1993; 14(3):9-11.
47. Murray JP, Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Yano EM. Ambulatory testing for capitation and fee-for-service patients in the same practice setting: Relationship to outcomes. Med Care 1992; 30(3): 252-261.
48. Kaplan SH, Greenfield S, Ware JE, Jr. Assessing the effects of physician-patient interactions on the outcomes of chronic disease. Med Care 1989; 27(Suppl):S110-S127.
49. Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Ware JE Jr., Martin E, Frank H. Patient participation in medical care: Effects on blood sugar control and quality of life in diabetes. J Gen Intl Med 1988; 3:448-457.
50. Kaplan SH. Patient reports of health status as predictors of physiologic health measures in chronic disease. J Chron Dis 1987; 40(Suppl 1):27S-35S.
51. Lewis CE, Freeman HE, Kaplan SH, Corey CR. The impact of a program to enhance the AIDS-related competencies of primary care physicians. J Gen Int Med . 1986; 1(6):287-294.
52. Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Ware JE, Jr. Expanding patient involvement in care: Effects on patient outcomes. Ann Int Med 1985; 102(4):520-528.
53. Greenfield S, Kaplan SH, Nadler MA, Deigh-Hewertson RA. Physician preference for criteria-mapping in medical care evaluation. J Fam Pract 1978; 6:1079-1086.
54. Kaplan SH, Greenfield S. Criteria-mapping: Using logic in evaluation of processes of care. Quality of Care Rev Bull 1978; 4:3-7.
55. Greenfield S, Lewis CE, Kaplan SH, Davidson MB. Peer review by criteria mapping: Criteria for diabetes mellitus. Ann Int Med 1975; 83:761-770.
56. Greenfield S, Kaplan SH. Creating a Culture of Quality: The Remarkable Transformation of the VA. Ann Int Med. In Press.
57. Kaplan SH, Greenfield S. Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Health Care. Ann Int Med. In Press.
|Grants||Addressing the Challenges in Using Individual Physician Performance Profiles for Quality Assessment and Improvement. Commonwealth Fund - Co-Investigator. This grant supports constructing valid physician performance measures using diabetes as a test case.|
|Collaborative Clinical Culture and Quality of Care. AHRQ - Principal Investigator. The objective of this study is to measure and model the associations of organization cutlure and workforce characteristics with quality of care in the primary care practice of Kaiser Permanente Georgia.|
Member, American Public Health Association
Member, American Sociologic Association
Member, Society for General Internal Medicine
Member, American Association for Health Services Research
UCLA Robert Wood Johnson Foundation Clinical Scholars Program 1983—1988
Joint RAND/UCLA Health Services Research Training Program, National Gender for Health Services Research 1986—1988
Assistant Professor in Residence
School of Public Health University of California at Los Angeles 1987—1989
Assistant Professor of Medicine
Division of Health Services Research, Department of Medicine, Tufts University of School of Medicine 1990—1996
Primary Care Outcomes Research Institute, New England Medical Center Hospitals and Tufts University School of Medicine 1993—2003
National Advisory Committee, Robert Wood Johnson Generalist Physician Scholars Program 1993—2004
Associate Research Professor Medicine
Departments of Medicine and Community Health, Tufts University School of Medicine 1996—2003
Adjunct Assistant Professor
Harvard School of Public Health 1996—2004
Adjunct Associate Professor
Harvard School of Public Health 1996—2004
Visiting Associate Professor
Department of Epidemiology, Ben Gurion University of the Negev, Beer Sheva, Israel 2003—2004
Associate Dean, College of Medicine
University of California, Irvine 2003—2004
Division of General Internal Medicine, University of California 2003—2004
|Research Center||Center for Health Policy Research|
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=5096|