Professor Emeritus, Physics & Astronomy
|In addition to research interests in plasma physics, Dr. Rostoker had early interests in explosives and shaped-charge jets, energy-band theory, and fission reactors before starting his work in plasma physics in 1958. He was a member of the fusion group at General Atomics from 1958 to 1967 and in charge of it from 1965 to 1967. In 1967 Dr. Rostoker moved to Cornell University, where he was one of the founders of the pulsed power, electron/ion beam laboratory. In 1972 he moved to UCI where he continued research on intense ion beam propagation, as well as on high-density pinches and nonlinear plasma properties. He continues to work on intense ion beams at UC Irvine, but mainly on questions of propagation. Dr. Rostoker is the author of more than 100 archival papers and four book chapters and review articles, as well as numerous invited papers at U.S. and international conferences.|
|Norman Rostoker was born on l6 August 1925 in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and received his B.A.Sc. and M.A. from the University of Toronto in 1946 and 1947, respectively. In 1950 he was awarded the D.Sc. degree from the Carnegie Institute of Technology, where he was a Research Physicist from 1948-1953, after which he was Supervisor of Theoretical Physics at the Armour Research Foundation from 1953-56. From 1956-67 he held the positions of Research Staff Member and Manager of Fusion and Plasma Physics Projects at General Atomics and Professor of Physics at the University of California at San Diego. This was followed by his tenure as IBM Professor of Engineering and Chairman of the Applied Physics Department at Cornell University. From 1972 to the present time Dr. Rostoker has been a Professor in, and Chairman of (1973-1976), the Department of Physics at the University of California at Irvine. He was Chairman of the Plasma Physics Division of the APS in 1972 and was awarded the Distinguished Faculty Lectureship at UCI for 1988-89. In 1988 Dr. Rostoker was the recipient of the James Clerk Maxwell Prize of the APS.|
1. Coupling of Radiation and Hydrodynamics in a Z-Pinch Plasma (with J. Bailey and A. Fisher), J. Appl. Phys. 60(6), 1939 (1986).
2. Phase Conjugate Reflection of Electromagnetic Waves from Plasma (with A. Fisher, I. Nebenzahl, and A. Ron), Comments Plasma Phys. Cont. Fusion 11(1), 1 (1987).
3. Modified Elongated Betatron Accelerator (with M. Cavenago), Particle Accelerators 21, 53 (1987).
4. X-Ray Laser Gain From Bragg Reflection Coupling in Channeled Relativistic Beam Systems (with M. Strauss, P. Amendt, and A. Ron), Appl. Phys. Lett. 52(11), 866 (1988).
5. The Plasma as a Phase Conjugate Reflector (with I. Nebenzahl, A. Ron and D. Tzach), Phys. Fluids 31(8), 2144 (1988).
6. Plasmoid Propagation in a Transverse Magnetic Field and in a Magnetized Plasma (with F. Wessel, R. Hong, J. Song, A. Fisher, A. Ron, R. Li, and R. Y. Fan), Phys. Fluids 31(12), 3778 (1988).
7. Reduced Radiation Losses in a Channeled-Beam X-Ray Laser by Bragg Reflection Coupling (with M. Strauss), Phys. Rev. A 39(11), 5791 (1989).
8. Radiation Guiding in Channeling Beam X-Ray Laser by Bragg Reflection Coupling (with M. Strauss), Phys. Rev. A 40(12), 7097 (1989).
9. Propagation of Neutralized Plasma Beams (with F. Wessel, A. Fisher, H. U. Rahman, and J. J. Song), Phys. Fluids B 2(6), 1467 (1990).
10. Wide Channeling Beam X-Ray Laser (with M. Strauss), Appl. Phys. Lett. 59(1), 40 (1991).
11. Stability of Annular Equilibrium of Energetic Large Orbit Ion Beam (with Vernon Wong, H. L. Berk, and R. V. Lovelace), Phys. Fluids B 3(11), 2973 (1991).
12. Electron Trapping and Acceleration in a Modified Elongated Betatron (with Y. Song, A. Fisher, and R. Prohaska), Phys. Fluids B 4(11), 3771 (1992).
13. Magnetic Fusion with High Energy Self-Colliding Ion Beams (with F. Wessel, H. Rahman, B. C. Maglich, B. Spivey, and A. Fisher), Phys. Rev. Letts. 70(12), 1818 (1993).
14. Inertial Confinement Fusion in a Z- Pinch (with H. Rahman, P. Ney, and F. Wessel), Comments Plasma Phys. Cont. Fusion 15(6), 339 (1994).
15. Beam Generation, Acceleration, and Extraction on a Stellatron Accelerator (with Y. Song and A. Fisher), Phys. Plasmas 1(8), 2777 (1994).
16. Staged Z-Pinch (with H. Rahman and F. Wessel), Phys. Rev. Letts. 74(5), 714 (1995).
17. Turbulent Transport in Magnetic Confinement: How to Avoid It (with M. W. Binderbauer), J. Plasma Physics 56, 451 (1996).
18. Colliding Beam Fusion Reactor (with M. Binderbauer and H. Monkhorst), Science 278, 1419 (1997).
19. Self-Colliding Beams as an Alternative Fusion System for D-He3 Reactors (with M. Binderbauer), in Current Trends in International Fusion Research, Ed. E. Panarella, Plenum Press (1997), pp. 33-41.
20. The Colliding Beam Fusion Reactor I. Solution of the Problem of Anomalous Transport with Beams in a Field Reversed Configuration Plasma (with M. Binderbauer and H. Monkhorst), in Proceedings of the Second Symposium on Current Trends in International Fusion Research, Ed. E. Panarella, NRC Research Press, Ottawa (1999), pp. 291-301.
21. Proceedings of the 3rd Smposium on Current Trends in International Fusion Research (with M. Binderbauer and H. Monkhorst), Ed. E. Panarella, NRC Research Press, Ottawa (1999), pp. 79-95.
22. Staged Z-Pinch for Controlled Fusion (with P. Ney, H.U. Rahman, and F. Wessel), Phys. Of Plasmas 8, 616 (2001).
23. Equilibrium of Field Reversed Configurations with Rotation. I. One Space Dimension and One Type of Ion (with A. Qerushi), Phys. Plasmas 9, 3057 (2002),
24. Equilibrium of Field Reversed Configurations with Rotation. II. One Space Dimension and Many Ion Species (with A. Qerushi), Phys. Plasmas 9, 3068 (2002),
25. Equilibrium of Field Reversed Configurations with Rotation. III. Two Space Dimensions and One Type of Ion (with A. Qerushi), Phys. Plasmas 9, 5001 (2002),
26. Equilibrium of Field Reversed Configurations with Rotation. IV. Two Space Dimensions and Many Ion Species (with A. Qerushi), Phys. Plasmas 10, 737 (2003),
27. Classical Transport in a Field Reversed Configuration (with A. Qerushi), Plasma Physics Reports (Russian Journal), (June 2003).
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=4978|