Federico E. Vaca
Professor of Clinical Emergency Medicine
Adjunct Professor, Department of Population Health and Disease Prevention
Executive Director, Center for Trauma and Injury Prevention Research
Fellowship Director, Public Health and Injury Prevention, Center for Trauma and Injury Prevention Research
|Traffic Safety, Injury Epidemiology, Injury Prevention and Control, Public Health Promotion and Education|
|URLs||University of California Irvine-School of Medicine Center for Trauma and Injury Prevention Research|
|University of California, Irvine Department of Emergency Medicine|
|UCI Faculty Expert Video Library - Teen Driving Safety and Parents - 2007|
2002 Delta Omega National Honorary Society in Public Health
2005-Present Faculty Fellow, Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME), Association of American Medical Colleges and the American Medical Association.
2005 Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) / University of California, Irvine, Humanism in Medicine Award
2005 – 2006 Orange County Medical Association, Physician of Excellence
1. Berns SD, Vaca F. We need to give children a boost before we buckle them. Ann Emerg Med. 2001;37(4):407-410.
2. Vaca F. Cellular phones and cars: a mix that is a real hand full with or without the hands. Ann Emerg Med. 2002;39(1):82-85.
3. Vaca F. Developing best practices of emergency care for the alcohol-impaired patient. Ann Emerg Med. 2002;39(6):685-686.
4. Vaca F, Caetano R. For the U.S. Department of Transportation, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Facts about drinking and driving and Hispanics, DOT HS 809 511,September 2002.
5. Vaca F. Characteristics of fatal rollover crashes: making progress…with a caution. Ann Emerg Med. 2003;41(2):271-275.
6. Peterson T, Vaca F. Trauma systems: a key factor in homeland preparedness. Ann Emerg Med. 2003;41(6):798-801.
7. McKay M, Vaca F. Pedestrian roadway fatalities: profiling the problem. Ann Emerg Med. 2003;42(4):479-482
8. Dinh-Zarr B, Heitman R, Baker S, Vaca F, Wen W, Osberg S, DiGuiseppi C. Latino child health and injury. JAMA. 288(16):October 23/30, 2002.
9. Vaca F. Child restraint use up but mitigation of misuse slow to gain ground. Ann Emerg Med. 2004;43(2):274-277.
10. McKay M, Vaca F. Super-sized Vans: a Super-sized Problem. Ann Emerg Med. 2004;44(6):657-659.
11. Vaca F. Drowsy driving: get safe…get sleep. Ann Emerg Med. 2005;45(4):434-436.
12. Vaca F. Motorcycle helmet law repeal: when will we learn … or truly care to learn? Ann Emerg Med. Feb 2006;47(2):203;204-206.
13. Kahn CA, Vaca F. The National EMS scope of practice model: scoping out reciprocity, career mobility and recognition. Ann Emerg Med. Aug 2006;48(2):213-214.
14. Vaca F. Speeding: socially acceptable but often fatal. Ann Emerg Med. Oct 2006;48(4):470.
15. Mansuri O, Hoonpongsimanont W, Vaca F, Lotfipour S., The Crisis in Emergency and Trauma Care in California and the United States, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine: Vol. 7: No. 4, 2006
16. Chakravarthy B, Lotfipour S, Vaca F. Pedestrian Injuries: Emergency Care Considerations, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine: Vol. 8: No. 1, May 2007
17. Chu I, Vaca F, Stratton S, Chakravarthy B, Hoonpongsimanont W, Lotfipour S., Geriatric Trauma Care: Challenges Facing Emergency Medical Services, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine: Vol. 8: No. 2, Article 4, May 2007
18. Lotfipour S, Vaca F. Polypharmacy and Older Drivers: Going beyond the doors of the Emergency Department (ED) for patient safety. Ann Emerg Med. 2007;49(4):535-37
19. Chakravarthy B, Vaca F, Lotfipour S, Bradley D. Pediatric Pedestrian Injuries, Pediatric Emergency Care, Pediatric Emergency Care, Volume 23, Number 10, October 2007
20. Vaca F. Teen Unsafe Driving Behaviors: Faulty perceptions shaping risk, Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 50(4):478 80
21. Vaca F, Winn D. The Basics of Alcohol Screening, Brief Intervention and Referral to Treatment in the Emergency Department, Western Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2007 Volume: 13, Issue: 6
22. Henary B, Sherwood C, Crandall J, Kent R, Vaca F, Arbogast K, Bull M. Child Restraints: Rear Facing for Best Protection, Injury Prevention, 2007 Volume: 13, Issue: 6
23. Vaca F, Mai D, Anderson C, Fox C, Farrarella N. Associated Economic Impact of Skatepark Related Injuries, Clinical Medicine and Research, 2007 Oct;5(3):149-54.
24. Tsai V, Anderson C, Vaca F. Young Female Drivers in Fatal Crashes, Recent Trends, 1995-2004, Traffic Injury Prevention, 2008 Mar;9(1):65-9.
|Grants||Development and Crash Injury Risk in Adolescent Latino Males (Principal Investigator / NIH - NICHD)|
|Computerized Alcohol Screening and Brief Intervention (Principal Investigator / State of California – Office of Traffic Safety)|
Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
American College of Emergency Physicians
Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration - Medical Fellow
U.S. Department of Transportation / National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, Washington, D.C. 2000—2002
|Research Centers||University of California Irvine-School of Medicine - Center for Trauma and Injury Prevention Research|
|Faculty Associate, UCLA - Southern California Injury Prevention Research Center|
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=4964|