Dana B. Mukamel
Professor of Medicine, Public Health and Nursing
Director, iTEQC Research Program
|Quality of care; Long-term care; Risk-adjusted outcomes; Racial disparities; Health economics; Quality report cards|
2016 “Best in ARM 2016” – paper published as “Best of the 2016 AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting” by HSR: “Personalizing Nursing Home Compare and the Discharge from Hospitals to Nursing Homes”, Dana B. Mukamel et.al.
2015 Lifetime Achievement Award, American Public Health Association
2014 Winner of the “Research Associates Athalie Clarke Achievement Award” for senior faculty member whose research has made significant advances in medicine or basic science.
2014 Winner of “Outstanding Research Poster Award” awarded by the American Academy of Behavior for abstract entitled “Are Disabled Older Adults Living in More Cohesive Communities More Likely to Receive Help with Mobility Needs?”, Nguyen AL and Mukamel DB.
2012 “Best in ARM 2012” – paper published as “Best of the 2012 AcademyHealth Annual Research Meeting” by HSR: “The Effect of State Regulatory Stringency on Nursing Home Quality”, Dana B. Mukamel et.al.
2011 Winner of the Aging and Public Health - Rural and Environment Award awarded by American Public Health Association for manuscript entitled “Rural-Urban Differences in End-of-Life Nursing Home Care: Facility and Environmental Factors” Temkin-Greener, Helena; Zheng, Tracy N and Mukamel, Dana B.
2011 Doctoral student Jingping Xing received Honorable Mention on her manuscript entitled “Factors Associated with in-Hospital Deaths among Nursing Home Residents Receiving Post-Acute Care” – Laurence G. Branch Doctoral Student Research Award funded by the Retirement Research Foundation, American Public Health Association.
2010 Winner of the Betty J. Cleckley Minority Issues Research Award awarded by the Gerontological Health Section of the American Public Health Association for manuscript entitled “Racial Disparities in In-Hospital Death and Hospice use Among Nursing Home Residents” Zheng NT; Mukamel DB; Cai S; Temkin-Greener H.
2009 Winner of the Betty J. Cleckley Minority Issues Research Award awarded by the Gerontological Health Section of the American Public Health Association for manuscript entitled “Pressure ulcer prevalence among Black and White nursing home residents in NY: Evidence of racial disparity” Cai S, Mukamel DB, Temkin-Greener H.
2009 AcademyHealth annual meeting – abstract on “Impact of Work Environment and Processes on Risk of Pressure Ulcers in NYS Nursing Homes” Temkin-Greener H, Cai S, Zheng N, Zhao H, Mukamel DB., was chosen most outstanding abstract.
2007 Aetna Susan B. Anthony Award for “Excellence in Research on Older Women and Public Health” awarded by the Gerontological Health Section of the American Public Health Association for manuscript entitled “Urinary Incontinence in Community-Living Older Women: Does Socioeconomic Status Affect Help Seeking and Receiving Treatment” Yue Li, PhD, MS, Xueya Cai, MA, Laurent Glance, MD, Dana B. Mukamel, PhD.
2007 AcademyHealth annual meeting – abstract on “Gender Differences in Healthcare-Seeking for Urinary Incontinence and the Impact of Socioeconomic Status: A Study of the Medicare Managed Care Population” Li Y, Glance LG, Mukamel DB, was chosen as one of the most outstanding research submitted to the meeting.
2006 AcademyHealth annual meeting – abstract on “When racial disparities disappear: Is it a good news story?” was chosen as one of the most outstanding research submitted to the meeting.
2006 National Institute for Health Care Management and Research & Education Foundation, Health Care Research Award – Finalist.
2004 Doctoral student, Yue Li, received the Student Award from the Medical Care Section of the American Public Health Association for “Misspecification Issues in Risk Adjustment and Constructing Outcome-Based Quality Indicators”,
Yue Li, Andrew Dick, PhD, Dana B. Mukamel.
2002 Academy for Health Services Research and Health Policy Annual Meeting, Best abstract for theme: Disparities in Health & Health Care, “Disparities in Access to High Quality Cardiac Surgeons: Race, Income, and Hospital Effects” – most outstanding abstracts.
2001 Academy for Health Services Research and Health Policy Annual Meeting: Abstract entitled “End of Life Care in Managed Care: Place of Death in the PACE Program” – most outstanding abstracts.
1997 James G. Zimmer New Investigator Award for Excellence in Research in Aging and Disability, American Public Health Association, Gerontological Health Section.
1993 David W. Stewart Assistant Professor of Health Policy
Dana B. Mukamel, Ph.D. is Professor at the Department of Medicine and Director of the iTEQC Research Program at the University of California, Irvine (UCI). Prior to joining the University of California she was on the faculty at the University of Rochester Medical Center. She also has affiliations with the UCI Paul Merage School of Business and the program in Public Health at UCI.
Dr. Mukamel holds an M.S. in Technology and Policy and a Ph.D. in economics. Her research focuses on issues related to quality of care in acute and long term care settings, both methodological issues related to measurement of quality and empirical studies designed to offer insights into policy, market, and provider characteristics that contribute to provision of high quality care. She has developed methods to measure quality in nursing homes and community based long term care programs based on risk-adjusted health outcomes, such as risk-adjusted decline in functional status and pressure ulcers. Her studies have examined the role of competition, regulation, report cards and other factors in provision of high quality care. Her extensive research program is funded by grants from federal agencies (AHRQ, NIA, NINR and the VA), PCORI, and private foundations. Recently, she expanded her work to include the development of sophisticated decision aids, taking advantage of big data and preference elicitation techniques to enhance the capabilities of patients, providers, and policy makers to make better decisions consistent with individual medical needs and preferences.
Dr. Mukamel serves on several CMS task forces advising CMS on the design of risk-adjusted quality measures, quality report cards, and pay for performance programs. Dr. Mukamel has served on the editorial board of the American Journal of Public health and as an editor of the Journal of Health Services Research Outcomes and Methodology. She currently serves on the editorial board of the Journal of Health Services Research. She also serves on many national advisory and review boards for organizations such as CMS, NIH, AHRQ, VA and MedPAC. Dr. Mukamel received a Lifetime Achievement Award from the American Public Health Association (APHA) for her work on quality of long term care.
1. Hartman SE, Mukamel DB. "How Might a Low-Cost Hospital System Look? Lessons from the Rochester Experience." Medical Care 1989 Mar; 27(3):234-43.
2. Hartman SE, Mukamel DB, Panzer RJ. "A Hospital Payment System with Incentives for Improvement in Quality of Care." Quality Review Bulletin 1990 Jul; 16(7):252-6.
3. Mukamel DB, Chou C, Zimmer JG, Rothenberg BM. "The Effect of Accurate Patient Screening on the Cost-Effectiveness of Case Management Programs." The Gerontologist 1997 Dec; 37(6):777-84.
4. Mukamel DB. "Risk Adjusted Outcome Measures and Quality of Care in Nursing Homes." Medical Care. 1997 Apr; 35(4):367-85.
5. Hart KD, Kunitz SJ, Sell RR, Mukamel DB. "Metropolitan governance, residential segregation, and mortality among African Americans." American Journal of Public Health 1998 Mar; 88(3):434-8. [PMCID: PMC1508338]
6. Mukamel DB, Mushlin AI. "Quality of Care Information Makes a Difference: An Analysis of Market Share and Price Changes Following Publication of the New York State Cardiac Surgery Reports." Medical Care 1998 Jul; 36(7):945-54.
7. Spector WD, Mukamel DB. "Using Outcomes to Make Inferences about Nursing Home Quality." Evaluation and the Health Professions 1998 Sep; 21(3):291-315.
8. Mukamel DB, Temkin-Greener H, Clark M. "Stability of Disability among PACE Enrollees: Financial and Programmatic Implications." Health Care Financing Review 1998 Spring; 19(3):83-100. [PMCID: PMC4194541]
9. Mukamel DB, Brower CA. "The Influence of Risk Adjustment Methods on Conclusions About Quality of Care in Nursing Homes Based on Outcome Measures." The Gerontologist 1998 Dec; 38(6): 695-703.
10. Mukamel DB, Bresnick GH, Wang Q, Dickey CF. “Barriers to Compliance with Screening Guidelines for Diabetic Retinopathy.” Ophthalmic Epidemiology 1999 Mar; 6(1):61-72.
11. Bresnick GH, Mukamel DB, Dickinson JC, Cole DP. “A Screening Approach to the Surveillance of Diabetic Patients for the Presence of Vision Threatening Retinopathy”. Ophthalmology 2000 Jan; 107(1):19-24.
12. Szilagyi PG, Zwanziger J, Rodewald LE, Holl JL, Mukamel DB, et al. “Evaluation of a State Health Insurance Program for Low-Income Children: Implications for State Child Health Insurance Programs”. Pediatrics 2000 Feb; 105(2):363-71.
13. Zwanziger J, Mukamel DB et al, “Evaluating Child Health Plus in Upstate New York: How Much Does Providing Health Insurance to Uninsured Children Increase Health Care Costs?”, Pediatrics 2000 Mar; 105(3 Suppl E):728-32.
14. Szilagyi PG, Holl JL, Rodewald LE, Yoos L, Zwanziger J, Shone-Pollard L, Mukamel DB et al, “Evaluation of New York State’s Child Health Plus: Children Who Have Asthma”, Pediatrics 2000 Mar; 105(3 Suppl E):719-27.
15. Holl JL, Szilagyi PG, Rodewald LE, Shone Pollard L, Zwanziger J, Mukamel DB et al, “Evaluation of New York State’s Child Health Plus: Access, Utilization, Quality of Health Care, and Health Status”, Pediatrics 2000 Mar; 105(3 Suppl E):711-8.
16. Holl JL, Dick A, Shone-Pollard L, Rodewald LE, Zwanziger J, Mukamel DB et al, “A Profile of The Population Enrolled in New York State’s Child Health Plus: Implications for State Children’s Health Insurance Programs (SCHIP)”, Pediatrics 2000 Mar; 105(3 Suppl E):706-10.
17. Szilagyi PG, Shone Pollard L, Holl JL, Rodewald LE, Jennings J, Zwanziger J, Mukamel DB et al, “Evaluation of New York State’s Child Health Plus: Methods”, Pediatrics 2000 Mar; 105(3 Suppl E):697-705.
18. Trafton S, Shone Pollard L, Zwanziger J, Mukamel DB et al, “Evaluation of a Children’s Health Insurance Program: Lessons from New York State’s Child Health Plus” Pediatrics 2000 Mar; 105(3 Suppl E):692-6.
19. Szilagyi, PG, Holl JL, Rodewald LE, Shone Pollard L, Zwanziger J, Mukamel DB et al. “Evaluation of Children’s Health Insurance: From New York State’s Child Health Plus to SCHIP” Pediatrics, 2000 Mar; 105(3 Suppl E):687-91.
20. Mukamel DB, Spector WD. “Nursing Home Costs and Risk Adjusted Outcome Measures of Quality”. Medical Care 2000 Jan; 38(1):78-89.
21. Mukamel DB, Mushlin AI, Weimer D, Zwanziger J, Parker T, Indridason I. “Do Quality Report Cards Play a Role in HMO’s Contracting Practices? Evidence from New York State”, Health Services Research 2000 Apr; 35(1 Pt 2):319-32. [PMCID: PMC1089104]
22. Mukamel, DB, Murthy A., Weimer DL. "Racial differences in access to high quality cardiac surgeons", American Journal of Public Health 2000 Nov; 90(11):1774-1177. [PMCID: PMC1446409]
23. Mukamel DB, Mushlin AI. “The Impact of Quality Report Cards on Choice of Physicians, Hospitals and HMOs: A Midcourse Evaluation”, Joint Commission Journal on Quality Improvement, 2001 Jan; 27(1):20-27.
24. Greener-Temkin H, Mukamel DB, Meiners MR. "Long Term Care Insurance Underwriting: Understanding Eventual Claims Experience." Inquiry, 2000/2001Winter; 37(4):348-358.
25. Spector WD, Mukamel DB. “Nursing Home Administrators’ Perceptions of Competition and Strategic Responses”. Long-Term Care Interface 2001; 2(3):37-41.
26. Mukamel DB, Gold HT, Bennett NM. “Cost-Utility of Public Clinics to Increase Pneumococcal Vaccines in the Elderly”. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2001 Jul; 21(1):29-34.
27. Mukamel DB, Zwanziger J, Tomaszewski KJ. “HMO Penetration, Competition, and Risk Adjusted Hospital Mortality”, Health Services Research, 2001 Dec; 36(6 Pt 1):1019-1035. [PMCID: PMC1089276]
28. Mukamel DB, Dick A, Spector WD. “Specification Issues in Measurement of Quality of Medical Care Using Risk Adjusted Outcomes”, Journal of Economic and Social Measurement 2000; 26(3,4):267-282.
29. Mukamel DB, Spector WD. “The Competitive Nature of the Nursing Home Industry: Price Mark Ups and Demand Elasticities”. Applied Economics 2002; 34(4):413-420.
30. Temkin-Greener H, Mukamel DB. “Predicting Place of Death in the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE): Participant vs. Program Characteristics”. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2002 Jan; 50(1):125-135.
31. Zwanziger J, Mukamel DB, Indridason I. “Use of Resident Origin Data to Define Nursing Home Market Boundaries”, Inquiry 2002 Spring; 39(1):56-66.
32. Mukamel DB, Zwanziger J, Bamezai A. “Hospital Competition, Resource Allocation and Quality of Care”. BMC Health Services Research 2002 May; 2(1):10. [PMCID: PMC116588]
33. Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Zwanziger J, Mushlin AI. “Quality of Cardiac Surgeons and Managed Care Contracting Practices”, Health Services Research 2002 May; 37(5):1129-1144. [PMCID: PMC1464035]
34. Mukamel DB, Bajorska A, Temkin-Greener H. “Health Care Services at the End-of-Life in PACE – A Managed Care Program Integrating Acute and Long-Term Care”. Medical Care 2002 Dec; 40(12):1136-1148.
35. Sorbero ME, Dick AW, Zwanziger J, Mukamel D, Wyle N. “The Effect of Capitation on Switching Primary Care Physicians”. Health Services Research 2003 Feb; 38(1 Pt 1):191-209. [PMCID: PMC1360881]
36. Mukamel DB, Spector WD. “Quality Report Cards and Nursing Home Quality.” The Gerontologist 2003 Apr; 43(special issue II):58-66.
37. Mukamel DB, Watson NM, Meng H, Spector WD. “Development of a Risk-Adjusted Urinary Incontinence Outcome Measure of Quality for Nursing Homes”. Medical Care 2003 Apr; 41(4):467-478.
38. Glance LG, Dick AW, Mukamel DB, Osler TM. “Is the Hospital Volume-Mortality Relationship in Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery the Same for Low-Risk Versus High-Risk Patients?” Annals of Thoracic Surgery, 2003 Oct; 76(4):1155-1162.
39. Glance LG, Dick AW, Osler TM, Mukamel D. “Using Hierarchical Modeling to Measure ICU Quality.” Intensive Care Medicine, 2003 Dec; 29(12):2223-2229.
40. Temkin-Greener H, Mukamel D, Gross D, Kunitz SJ. “Measuring Interdisciplinary Team Performance in a Long-Term Care Setting”, Medical Care, 2004 May; 42(5):472-481.
41. Hicks LL, Rantz MJ, Petroski GF, Mukamel. DB. “Nursing Home Costs and Quality of Care Outcomes.” Nursing Economics, 2004 Jul-Aug; 22(4):178-192.
42. Temkin-Greener H, Bajorska A, Peterson DR, Kunitz SJ, Gross D, Williams TF, Mukamel DB. “Social Support and Risk-Adjusted Mortality in a Frail Older Population.” Medical Care 2004 Aug; 42(8):779-788.
43. Mukamel DB, Peterson DR, Bajorska A, Temkin-Greener H, Kunitz S, Gross D, Williams TF. “Variations in Risk-Adjusted Health Outcomes in a Managed Acute/Long-Term Care Program for the Frail Elderly.” International Journal for Healthcare Quality 2004 Aug; 16(4):293-301.
44. Gross DL, Temkin-Greener H, Kunitz S, Mukamel DB. “The Growing Pains of Integrated Health Care for the Elderly: An Analysis of the Expansion of PACE.” Milbank Quarterly 2004; 82(2):257-282.
45. Horev T, Pesis-Katz I, Mukamel DB. “Trends in Geographic Disparities in Allocation of Health Care Resources in the U.S.” Health Policy 2004 May; 68(2):223-232.
46. Rothenberg BM, Pearson T, Zwanziger J, Mukamel D. “Explaining Disparities in Access to High Quality Cardiac Surgeons.” Annals of Thoracic Surgery 2004 Jul; 78(1):18-24.
47. Glance L, Dick A, Osler TM, Mukamel D. “Judging Trauma Center Quality: Does It Depend on the Choice of Outcomes?” Journal of Trauma 2004 Jan; 56(1):165-172.
48. Glance LG, Osler TM, Dick A, Mukamel D. “The Relationship between Trauma Center Outcome and Volume in the National Trauma Databank.” Journal of Trauma 2004 Mar; 56(3):682-690.
49. Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Zwanziger J, Mushlin AI, Huang-Gorthy SF. “Quality Report Cards, Selection of Cardiac Surgeons and Racial Disparities: A Study of the Publication of the NYS Cardiac Surgery Reports.” Inquiry 2004/2005 Winter; 41(4):435-446.
50. Friedman SM, Mukamel DB, Rathouz PJ, Burton LC, Steinwachs DM. “Characteristics Predicting Nursing Home Admission on Enrollment in the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE).” Gerontologist 2005 Apr; 45(2):157-166.
51. Meng H, Friedman B, Wamsley B, Mukamel D, Eggert G. “The Effect of a Consumer-Directed Voucher & a Disease Management/Health Promotion Nurse Intervention on Home Care Use”. The Gerontologist 2005Apr; 45(2):167-176.
52. Berlowitz D, Rosen A, Wang F, Tsilimingras D, Tarriot PN, Engelhardt J, Kader B, Mukamel DB. “Purchasing or Providing Nursing Home Care: Can Quality Data Provide Guidance”, Journal of the American Geriatric Society 2005 Apr; 53(4):603-608.
53. Glance LG, Dick AW, Osler TM, Mukamel DB. “The relation between surgeon volume and outcome following off-pump vs on-pump coronary artery bypass graft surgery”, Chest 2005 Aug; 128(2):829-837.
54. Mukamel DB, Spector W, Bajorska A. “Nursing home spending patterns in the 1990s: the role of nursing home competition and excess demand”, Health Services Research 2005Aug; 40(4):1040-1055. [PMCID: PMC1361180]
55. Temkin-Greener H, Gross D, Mukamel DB. “Advance Care Planning in a Frail Older Population: Patient Versus Program Influences”, Research on Aging 2005; 27(6):659-691.
56. Glance LG, Dick AW, Osler TM, Mukamel DB. “Does Date Stamping ICD-9-CM Codes Increase the Value of Clinical Information in Administrative Data?”, Health Services Research 2006 Feb; 41(1):231-251. [PMCID: PMC1681527]
57. Temkin-Greener H, Bajorska A, Mukamel DB. “Disenrollment from an Acute/Long-Term Managed Care Program (PACE)”, Medical Care 2006 Jan; 44(1):31-38.
58. Zinn JS, Spector WD, Hsieh L, Mukamel DB. “Do trends in the reporting of Nursing Home Compare Quality Measures Differ by Nursing Home Characteristics”, Gerontologist 2005 Dec; 45(6):720-730.
59. Glance LG, Dick AW, Osler TM, Li Y, Mukamel DB. "Impact of Changing the Statistical Methodology on Hospital & Surgeon Ranking: The Case of the NYS Cardiac Surgery Report Card", Medical Care 2006 Apr; 44(4):311-319.
60. Mukamel DB, Temkin-Greener H, Delavan R, Peterson D, Gross D, Kunitz S, Williams TF. “Team performance and Risk-Adjusted Health Outcomes in the Program of All Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE).” The Gerontologist 2006 Feb; 46(2):227-237.
61. Meng H, Friedman B, Dick A, Wamsley B, Eggert G, Mukamel D. “Effect of a Voucher Benefit on the Demand for Paid Personal Assistance.” The Gerontologist 2006 Apr; 46(2):183-192.
62. Glance LG, Dick AW, Osler TM, Mukamel DB. “Accuracy of Hospital Report Cards Based on Administrative Data”. Health Services Research 2006 Aug; 41(4 Pt 1):1413-37. [PMCID: PMC1797077]
63. Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Mushlin AI. “Referrals to High Quality Cardiac Surgeons: Patient Race and Characteristics of their Physicians” Health Services Research 2006 Aug; 41(4 pt 1), 1276-1295. [PMCID: PMC1797085]
64. Glance LG, Li Y, Osler TM, Dick AW, Mukamel DB. “Impact of Patient Volume on the Mortality of Adult Intensive Care Unit Patients”, Critical Care Management 2006 Jul; 34(7):1925-1934.
65. Mukamel D, Glance LG, Weimer DL, Pearson T, Massey T, Gold J, Greenfield S, Jackson J, Mushlin AI. “Racial variations in the choice of on-pump versus off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting”. Journal of Health Services Research and Policy 2007 Jan; 12(1):31-35.
66. Glance LG, Wissler R, Glantz C, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Dick AW. “Racial Differences in the Use of Epidural Analgesic for Labor” Anesthesiology 2007 Jan; 106(1):19-25.
67. Friedman SM, Mukamel DB, Steinwachs D, Bingham K. “Informal Caregivers & The Risk Of Nursing Home Admission Among Individuals Enrolled in the Program if All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE)” The Gerontologist, 2006 Aug; 46(4):456-63.
68. Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Dick AW. “Use of a matching algorithm to evaluate hospital coronary artery bypass grafting performance as an alternative to conventional risk adjustment”, Medical Care 2007 Apr; 45(4)292-299.
69. Li Y, Dick AW, Glance LG, Cai X, Mukamel DB. “Misspecification Issues in Risk Adjustment and Construction of Outcome Based Quality Indicators”, Health Services and Outcomes Research Methodology 2007 Jun; 7(1-2):39-56.
70. Mukamel DB, Weimer D, Buchmueller T, Ladd H, Mushlin AI. “Changes in racial disparities in access to coronary artery bypass grafting surgery between the late 1990s and early 2000s,” Medical Care 2007 Jul; 45(7)664-71.
71. Li Y, Glance LG, Cai X, Mukamel DB. "Are Patients with Co-Existing Mental Disorders More Likely to Receive CABG Surgery From Low-Quality Cardiac Surgeons The Experience in New York State?” Medical Care 2007 Jul; 45(7):587-593.
72. Mukamel DB, Spector WD, Zinn JS, Huang L, Weimer DL. “Nursing Homes' Response To The Nursing Home Compare Report Card”, Journal of Gerontology: Series B: Psychological Sciences and Social Science 2007 Jul; 62B(4):S218-S225.
73. Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Dick AW. “Effect of Complications on Mortality after Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting Surgery: Evidence from New York State”, Journal of Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery 2007 Jul; 134(1):53-58.
74. Glance LG, Dick AW, Mukamel DB, Li Y, Osler TM. “Are High-Quality Cardiac Surgeons Less Likely to Operate on High-Risk Patients Compared to Low-Quality Surgeons? Evidence from New York State”, Health Services Research 2008 Feb; 43(1 Pt 1): 300-312. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2007.00753.x. [PMCID: PMC2323133]
75. Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Dick AW. “Estimating the Potential Impact of Regionalizing Health Care Delivery based on Volume Standards Versus Risk-Adjusted Mortality Rate” International Journal for Quality in Health Care 2007 Aug;19(4):195-202. Epub 2007 Jun 10.
76. Li Y, Cai X, Glance LG, Mukamel DB. “Gender Differences in Healthcare-Seeking Behavior for Urinary Incontinence and the Impact of Socioeconomic Status: A Study of the Medicare Managed Care Population”. Medical Care 2007 Nov; 45(11):1116-1122.
77. Mukamel DB, Peterson DR, Temkin-Greener H, Delavan R, Gross D, Kunitz S, Williams TF. “Program Characteristics and Enrollees Outcomes in the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE).” Milbank Quarterly 2007 Sep; 85(3):499-531. [PMCID: PMC2690315]
78. Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Mushlin AI. “Interpreting Market Share Changes as Evidence for Effectiveness of Quality Report Cards”. Medical Care 2007 Dec; 45(12):1227-1232.
79. Zinn JS, Spector WD, Weimer DL, Mukamel DB. “Strategic Orientation and Nursing Home Response to Public Reporting of Quality Measures: An Application of the Miles and Snow Typology”. Health Services Research 2008 Apr; 43(2):598-615. [PMCID: PMC2442378]
80. Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Dick AW. “Impact of the Present-On-Admission Indicator on Hospital Quality Measurement: Experience with the Experience with the Agency for Healthcare Quality (AHRQ) Inpatient Quality Indicators”, Medical Care 2008 Feb; 46(2):112-119.
81. Temkin-Greener H, Bajorska A, Mukamel DB. “Variations in Service Use in the Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE): Is More Better?” The Journal of Gerontology A: Biological Sciences and Medical Sciences 2008 Jul; 63(7): 731-738.
82. Mukamel DB, Glance LG, Li Y, Weimer DL, Spector WD, Zinn JS, Mosqueda L. “Does Risk Adjustment of the CMS Quality Measures For Nursing Homes Matter?” Medical Care 2008 May; 46(5):532-541. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e31816099c5. [PMCID: PMC2741305]
83. Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Spector WD, Ladd H, Zinn JS. “Publication of Quality Report Cards and Trends in Reported Quality Measures in Nursing Homes”, Health Services Research 2008 Aug; 43(4):1244-1262. [PMCID: PMC2517273]
84. Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Meredith W, Dick AW. “Expert Consensus vs. Empiric Estimation of Injury Severity: Effect on Quality Measurement in Trauma”, Archives of Surgery 2009 Apr; 144(4):326-332; discussion 332.
85. Li Y, Glance L, Cai X, Mukamel DB. “Mental Illness and Hospitalization for Ambulatory Care Sensitive Medical Conditions”, Medical Care 2008 Dec; 46(12): 1249-1256. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e31817e188c.
86. Li Y, Glance LG, Mukamel DB. “Adverse Hospital Events for Mentally-Ill Patients Undergoing Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery” Health Services Research 2008 Dec; 43(6): 2239-2252. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2008.00875.x. Epub 2008 Jul 28. [PMCID: PMC2613995]
87. Osler T, Glance L, Buzas JS, Mukamel D, Wagner J, Dick A. “A Trauma Mortality Prediction Model Based on the Anatomic Injury Scale” Annals of Surgery 2008 Jun; 247(6): 1041-1048. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31816ffb3f.
88. Temkin-Greener H, Cai S, Katz P; Zhao H, Mukamel D. “Daily Practice Teams in Nursing Homes: Evidence from New York State” The Gerontologist 2009 Feb; 49(1):68-80. doi: 10.1093/geront/gnp011. Epub 2009 Mar 18. [PMCID: PMC2664618]
89. Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Meredith W, Dick AW. “Impact of Statistical Approaches for Handling Missing Data on Trauma Center Quality” Annals of Surgery 2009 Jan; 249(1):143-8. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31818e544b.
90. Li Y, Cai X, Glance LG, Spector WD, Mukamel DB. “National Release of the Nursing Home Quality Report Cards: Implications of Statistical Methodology for Risk Adjustment” Health Services Research 2009 Feb; 44(1):79-102. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2008.00910.x. [PMCID: PMC2669625]
91. Glance LG, Li Y, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Dick A. “Impact of Date Stamping on Patient Safety Measurement In Patients Undergoing CABG: Experience with the AHRQ Patient Safety Indicators” BMC Health Services Research 2008 Aug; 8:176. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-8-176. [PMCID: PMC2529290]
92. Temkin-Greener H, Zheng N, Katz P, Zhao H, Mukamel DB. “Measuring Work Environment and Performance in Nursing Homes” Medical Care 2009 Apr; 47(4):482-91. [PMCID: PMC2663940]
93. Glance LG, Mukamel DB, Meredith W, Dick AW. “Hospital Performance in Caring for Injured Patients: Does the Type of Injury Make a Difference?” Archives of Surgery 2009 Dec; 144(12):1121-6.
94. Mukamel DB, Ladd H, Weimer DL, Spector WD, Zinn JS. “Is There Evidence Of Cream Skimming Among Nursing Homes Following The Publication Of The Nursing Home Compare Report Card?” The Gerontologist 2009 Dec; 49(6):793-802. doi: 10.1093/geront/gnp062. Epub 2009 Jun 2. [PMCID: PMC2800777]
95. Mukamel DB, Spector WD, Limcangco R, Wang Y, Feng Z, Mor V. “The Costs Of Turnover in Nursing Homes” Medical Care 2009 Oct; 47(10):1039-45. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e3181a3cc62. [PMCID: PMC2761533]
96. Glance LG, Osler TM, Meredith W, Dick AW, Mukamel DB. "The Survival Measurement and Reporting Trial for Trauma (SMARTT): Background and Study Design" The Journal of Trauma, Injury, Infection and Critical Care 2010 Jun; 68(6):1491-7. doi: 10.1097/TA.0b013e3181bb9a55.
97. Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Meredith W, Wagner J, Dick AW. “TMPM-ICD9: A Trauma Mortality Prediction Model Based on ICD-9-CM Codes” Annals of Surgery 2009 Jun; 249(6):1032-9. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181a38f28.
98. Mukamel DB, Glance LG, Dick AW, Osler TM. “Measuring Quality For Public Reporting Of Health Provider Quality: Making It Meaningful To Patients” American Journal of Public Health 2010 Feb; 100(2):264-9. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2008.153759. Epub 2009 Dec 17. [PMCID: PMC2804637]
99. Mukamel DB, Cai S, Temkin-Greener H. “Cost Implications of Organizing Nursing Home Workforce in Teams” Health Services Research 2009 Aug; 44(4):1309-25. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2009.00980.x. Epub 2009 May 26. [PMCID: PMC2739030]
100. Temkin-Greener H, Zheng NT, Cai S, Zhao H, Mukamel DB. “Nursing Home Environment and Organizational Performance: Association with Deficiency Citations” Medical Care 2010 Apr; 48(4):357-64. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e3181ca3d70. [PMCID: PMC2925404]
101. Li Y, Schnelle J, Spector WD, Glance LG, Mukamel DB. “The Nursing Home Compare Measure of Urinary Fecal Incontinence: Cross-Sectional Variation, Stability over Time, and the Impact of Case Mix” Health Services Research 2010 Feb; 45(1):79-97. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2009.01061.x. Epub 2009 Oct 29. [PMCID: PMC2813438]
102. Cai S, Mukamel DB, Temkin-Greener H. “Pressure Ulcer Prevalence among Black and White Nursing Home Residents in New York State: Evidence of Racial Disparity” Medical Care 2010 Mar; 48(3):233-9. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e3181ca2810. [PMCID: PMC3313600]
103. Li, Y and Mukamel DB. “Racial Disparities in Receipt of Influenza and Pneumonococcal Vaccinations among US Nursing Home Residents” American Journal of Public Health 2010 Apr 1; 100 Supplement 1:S256-62. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2009.173468. Epub 2010 Feb 10. [PMCID: PMC2837451]
104. Li Y; Cai X; Mukamel DB; Glance L. "The Volume-Outcome Relationship in Nursing Home Care: An Examination of Functional Decline among Long-Term Care Residents" Medical Care 2010 Jan; 48(1):52-7. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e3181bd4603.
105. Glance LG, Dick AW, Osler TM, Meredith W, Mukamel DB. “The Association Between Cost and Quality in Trauma: Is Greater Spending Associated with Higher-Quality Care?” Annals of Surgery 2010 Aug; 252(2):217-22. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181e623f6.
106. Glance LG, Dick AW, Mukamel DB, Li Y, Osler TM. “How Well Do Hospital Mortality Rates Reported in the New York State CABG Report Card Predict Subsequent Hospital Performance?” Medical Care 2010 May; 48(5):466-71.
107. Meng H, Friedman B, Dick A, Liebel D, Wamsley B, Eggert G, Mukamel DB. “Impact of a Disease Management-Health Promotion Nurse Intervention on Personal Assistance Use and Expenditures” Home Health Care Services Quarterly 2009; 28(4):113-129. doi: 10.1080/01621420903579669.
108. Glance LG, Dick AW, Mukamel DB, Meredith W, Osler TM. “The Effect of Preexisting Conditions on Hospital Quality Measurement for Injured Patients” Annals of Surgery 2010 Apr; 251(4):728-34. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e3181d56770.
109. Cai S, Mukamel DB, Veazie PJ, Temkin-Greener H. “Validation of the Minimum Data Set in Identifying Hospitalization Events and Payment Source” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2011 Jan; 12(1):38-43. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2010.02.001. Epub 2010 Aug 7. [PMCID: PMC3052878]
110. Zinn JS, Weimer DL, Spector W, Mukamel DB. “Factors Influencing Nursing Home Response to Quality Measure Publication: A Resource Dependence Perspective” Health Care Management Review 2010 Jul - Sep; 35(3):256-65.
111. Mukamel DB, Spector WD, Zinn J, Weimer DL, Ahn R. ”Changes in Clinical and Hotel Expenditures following Publication of the Nursing Home Compare Report Card”, Medical Care 2010 Oct; 48(10):869-74. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e3181eaf6e1. [PMCID: PMC20733531]
112. Glance LG, Wissler RW, Mukamel DB, Li Y, Diachun CB, Salloum R, Fleming FJ, Dick AW. “Perioperative Outcomes among Patients with the Modified Metabolic Syndrome Undergoing Noncardiac Surgery, Anesthesiology 2010 Oct; 113(4):859-72. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e3181eff32e.
113. Li Y, Harrington C, Spector W, Mukamel DB. “State Regulatory Enforcement and Nursing Home Termination from the Medicare and Medicaid Programs” Health Services Research 2010 Dec; 45(6 Pt 1):1796-814. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01164.x. Epub 2010 Sep 1. [PMCID: PMC2976829]
114. Glance LG, Dick AW, Meredith W, Mukamel DB. “Variation in Hospital Complication Rates and Failure-to-Rescue for Trauma Patients” Annals of Surgery 2011 Apr; 253(4):811-816. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e318211d872.
115. Glance LG, Dick AW, Mukamel DB, Fleming FJ, Zollo RA, Salloum R, Meredith W, Osler TM. “Association between Intraoperative Blood Transfusion and Mortality and Morbidity in Patients Undergoing Noncardiac Surgery. Anesthesiology 2011 Feb; 114(2):283-92. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0b013e3182054d06.
116. Spector WD, Limcangco R, Ladd H, Mukamel D. “Incremental Cost of Post-Acute Care in Nursing Homes” Health Services Research 2011 Feb; 46(1 Pt 1):105-19. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2010.01189.x. Epub 2010 Oct 28. [PMCID: PMC3015022]
117. Li Y; Glance L; Yin J; Mukamel DB. “Racial Disparities in Rehospitalization among Medicare Patients Skilled Nursing Facility Patients” American Journal of Public Health 2011 May; (101)5:875-82. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2010.300055. Epub 2011 Mar 18.
118. Glance LG, Stone PW, Mukamel DB, Dick AW. “Increases in Mortality, Length-of-Stay, and Cost Associated with Hospital Acquired Infections in Trauma Patients” Archives of Surgery 2011 Jul; 146(7):794-801. doi: 10.1001/archsurg.2011.41. Epub 2011 Mar 21. [PMCID: PMC3336161]
119. Cai S, Mukamel DB, Veazie P, Katz P, Temkin-Greener H. “Hospitalizations In Nursing Homes: Does Payer Source Matter?: Evidence from New York State” Medical Care Research and Review 2011, Oct; 68(5):559-78. doi: 10.1177/1077558711399581. Epub 2011 Apr 7. [PMCID: PMC3374862]
120. Mukamel DB, Li Y, Harrington C, Spector WD, Weimer DL; Bailey L. “Does State Regulation of Quality Impose Costs on Nursing Homes?” Medical Care 2011 Jun; 49(6):529-534. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e318207ef9e. [PMCID: PMC21558967]
121. Glance LG, Dick AW, Osler TM, Meredith JW, Stone PW, Li Y, Mukamel DB. “Relationship between Leapfrog Safe Practices Survey and outcomes in trauma” Archives of Surgery 2011 Oct; 146(10):1170-7. doi: 10.1001/archsurg.2011.247. [PMCID: PMC3336156]
122. Glance LG, Lustik S, Hannan E, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Qian F, Dick AW. “The Surgical Mortality Probability Model: Derivation and Validation of a Simple Risk Prediction Rule for Noncardiac Surgery” Annals of Surgery 2012 Apr; 255(4):696-702. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0b013e31824b45af.
123. Li Y, Cai X, Du H, Glance LG, Lyness JM, Cram P, Mukamel DB. “Mentally Ill Medicare Patients Less Likely Than Others To Receive Certain Types Of Surgery” Health Affairs 2011 Jul; 30(7):1307-15. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2010.1084. [PMCID: PMC3784991]
124. Li Y, Cai X, Yin J, Glance LG, Mukamel DB. "Is Higher Volume of Post-Acute Care Patients Associated With a Lower Rehospitalization Rate In Skilled Nursing Facilities?" Medical Care Research and Review 2012 Feb; 69(1):103-18.
doi: 10.1177/1077558711414274. Epub 2011 Aug 1. [PMCID: PMC3785004]
125. Li Y, Yin J, Cai X, Temkin-Greener H, Mukamel DB. “Association of Race and Sites of Care with Pressure Ulcers in High-Risk Nursing Home Residents” Journal of the American Medical Association 2011 Jul 13; 306(2):179-186.
doi: 10.1001/jama.2011.942. [PMCID: PMC4108174]
126. Zheng NT, Mukamel DB, Caprio T, Cai S, Temkin-Greener H. "Racial Disparities in In-Hospital Death and Hospice Use among Nursing Home Residents at the End-of-life" Medical Care 2011 Nov; 49(11):992-998. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e318236384e. [PMCID: PMC3215761]
127. Temkin-Greener H, Cai S, Zheng NT, Zhao H, Mukamel DB. “Nursing Home Work Environment and the Risk of Pressure Ulcers and Incontinence” Health Services Research 2012 Jun; 47(3 Pt 1):1179-200. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2011.01353.x. Epub 2011 Nov 18. [PMCID: PMC3290703]
128. Glance LG, Dick AW, Mukamel DB, Osler TM. “Association between Trauma Quality Indicators and Outcomes for Injured Patients” Archives of Surgery 2012 Apr; 147(4):308-15. doi: 10.1001/archsurg.2011.1327. Epub 2011 Dec 19.
129. Mukamel DB, Caprio T, Ahn R, Zheng NT, Norton S, Quill T, Temkin-Greener H. “End-of-Life Quality-of-Care Measures for Nursing Homes: Place of Death and Hospice” Journal of Palliative Medicine 2012 Apr; 15(4):438-46. doi: 10.1089/jpm.2011.0345. [PMCID: PMC3322517]
130. Temkin-Greener H, Zheng NT, Mukamel DB. “Rural-Urban Differences in End-of-Life Nursing Home Care: Facility and Environmental Factors” Gerontologist 2012 Jun; 52(3):335-44. doi: 10.1093/geront/gnr143. Epub 2012 Jan 9. [PMCID: PMC3342513]
131. Li Y, Spector WD, Glance LG, Mukamel DB. “State ‘Technical Assistance Programs’ for Nursing Home Quality Improvement: Variations and Implications” Journal of Aging and Social Policy 2012; Oct; 24(4):349-67. doi: 10.1080/08959420.2012.735157. [PMCID: PMC3785000]
132. Quinn, J, Pesis-Katz I, Mukamel DB. “Variations in Patterns of Care Activities for Nursing Home Residents with Heart Failure” Research in Gerontological Nursing 2013 Jan; 6(1):29-35. doi: 10.3928/19404921-20121204-02. Epub 2012 Dec 12.
133. Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Li Y, Bailey L, Spector WD, Harrington C. “Nursing Homes Appeals of Deficiencies: The Informal Dispute Resolution Process” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2012 Jul; 13(6):512-6.
doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2012.01.005. Epub 2012 Mar 7. [PMCID: PMC3389192]
134. Mutter RL, Spector W, Greene WH, Rosko MD, Mukamel DB. “Investigating the Impact of Endogeneity on Inefficiency Estimates in the Application of Stochastic Frontier Analysis to Nursing Homes” Journal of Productivity Analysis 2012; published online March 20.
135. Glance LG, Osler T, Mukamel DB, Dick A. “Impact of Trauma Center Designation on Outcomes: Is There a Difference between Level I and Level II Trauma Centers?” Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2012 Sep; 215(3):372-8.
doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2012.03.018. Epub 2012 May 24.
136. Mukamel DB, Kang T, Collier E, Harrington C. “The Relationship of California's Medicaid Reimbursement System to Nurse Staffing Levels” Medical Care 2012 Oct; 50(10):836-42. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e318264e4ce.
137. Li Y, Cai X, Mukamel DB, Cram P. “Impact of Length of Stay after Coronary Bypass Surgery on Short-Term Readmission Rate: An Instrumental Variable Analysis” Medical Care 2013 Jan; 51(1):45-51. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e318270bc13.
138. Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Harrington C, Spector WD, Ladd H, Li Y. “The Effect of State Regulatory Stringency on Nursing Home Quality” Health Services Research 2012 Oct; 47(5):1791-813. doi: 10.1111/j.1475-6773.2012.01459.x. Epub 2012 Sep 4. Best in ARM 2012. [PMCID: PMC3513606]
139. Glance LG, Dick AW, Osler T, Mukamel DB, Li Y, Stone PW. “The Association between Nurse Staffing and Hospital Outcomes in Injured Patients”. BMC Health Services Research 2012 Aug 9; 12:247. doi: 10.1186/1472-6963-12-247. [PMCID: PMC3444311]
140. Li Y, Glance LG, Lyness JM, Cram P, Cai X, Mukamel DB. “Mental Illness, Access to Hospitals with Invasive Cardiac Services, and Receipt of Cardiac Procedures by Medicare AMI Patients” Health Services Research 2013, Jun; 48(3):1076-95. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12010. Epub 2012 Nov 7. [PMCID: PMC3651773]
141. Murphy CR, Hudson LO, Spratt BG, Quan V, Kim D, Peterson E, Whealon M, Tan G, Evans K, Meyers H, Cheung M, Lee BY, Mukamel DB, Enright MC, Huang SS. “Predicting High Prevalence Of Community Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Strains In Nursing Homes” Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology 2013 Mar; 34(3): 325-6. doi: 10.1086/669519. Epub 2013 Jan 23. [PMCID: PMC4151251]
142. Mukamel DB, Li Y, Weimer DL, Spector WD, Bailey L, Harrington C. “What Factors Contribute to Successful Appeal of Nursing Homes’ Deficiencies in the Informal Dispute Resolution Process?” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2013, Feb; 14(2):101-4. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2012.09.015. Epub 2012 Nov 7. [PMCID: PMC3563759]
143. Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB, Dick AW. “Outcomes of Adult Trauma Patients Admitted to Trauma Centers in Pennsylvania, 2000-2009” Archives of Surgery 2012 Aug; 147(8):732-7. doi: 10.1001/archsurg.2012.1138.
144. Zheng NT, Mukamel DB, Caprio TV and Temkin-Greener H. “Hospice Utilization in Nursing Homes: Association with Facility End-of-Life Care Practices” The Gerontologist 2013 Oct; 53(5):817-27. doi: 10.1093/geront/gns153. Epub 2012 Dec 10 [PMCID: PMC3858022]
145. Murphy CR, Quan V, Kim D, Peterson E, Whealon M, Tan G, Evans K, Meyers H, Cheung M, Lee BY, Mukamel DB, Huang SS. ”Nursing Home Characteristics Associated with Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) Burden and Transmission” BMC Infectious Diseases 2012 Oct 24;12(1):269. doi: 10.1186/1471-2334-12-269. [PMCID: PMC35828666]
146. Glance LG, Osler T, Mukamel DB, Meredith JW, Li Y, Qian F, Dick AW. “Trends in Racial Disparities for Injured Patients Admitted to Trauma Centers”. Health Services Research 2013 Oct; 48(5):1684-703. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12064. Epub 2013 May 13. [PMCID: PMC3796108]
147. Glance LG, Mukamel DB, Osler TM and Dick AW. “Ranking Trauma Center Quality - Can Past Performance Predict Future Performance?” Annals of Surgery 2014 Apr; 259(4):682-6. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000000334.
148. Pesis-Katz I, Phelps CE, Temkin-Greener H, Spector WD, Veazie P, Mukamel DB “Making Difficult Decisions: The Role of Quality of Care in Choosing a Nursing Home” American Journal of Public Health, 2013 May; 103(5): e31-7. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301243. Epub 2013 Mar 14. [PMCID: PMC3670650]
149. Mukamel DB, Ladd, H, Temkin-Greener H. “Stability of Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Do Not Resuscitate Orders among Long-Term Nursing Home Residents” Medical Care, 2013 Aug; 51(8):666-72. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e31829742b6. [PMCID: PMC3714314]
150. Temkin-Greener H, Zheng NT, Xing J, Mukamel DB. “Site of Death among Nursing Home Residents in the United States: Changing Patterns, 2003-2007” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2013 Oct; 14(10): 741-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2013.03.009. Epub 2013 May 7. [PMCID: PMC3744590]
151. Glance LG, Li Y, Osler TM Mukamel DB, Dick AW. “Impact of Obesity on Mortality and Complications in Trauma Patients” Annals of Surgery 2014 Mar; 259(3): 576-81. doi: 10.1097/SLA.0000000000000330.
152. Glance LG, Osler TM, Mukamel DB. Meredith W, Dick AW. “Effectiveness of Non-Public Report Cards for Reducing Trauma Mortality” JAMA Surgery 2014 Feb; 149(2): 137-43. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2013.3977.
153. Glance LG, Mukamel DB, Blumberg N, Fleming FJ, Hohmann SF, Dick AW. “Association between Surgical Resident Involvement and Blood Use in Noncardiac Surgery” Transfusion 2014 Mar; 54(3):691-700. doi: 10.1111/trf.12350. Epub 2013 Jul 25.
154. Li Y, Cai X, Yi Z, Glance LG, Mukamel DB. "Satisfaction with Massachusetts Nursing Home Care Was Generally High During 2005-2009 with Some Variability across Facilities" Health Affairs 2013 Aug; 32(8):1416-25. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2012.1416. [PMCID: PMC3784993]
155. Xing J, Mukamel DB, Temkin-Greener H. “Hospitalizations among Nursing Home Residents in the Last Year of Life: Nursing Home Characteristics and Variation on Potentially Avoidable Hospitalizations” Journal of the American Geriatric Society 2013 Nov; 61(11):1900-8. doi: 10.1111/jgs.12517. Epub 2013 Nov 5. [PMCID: PMC3827689]
156. Murphy CR, Kim D, Kaplan SH, Mukamel DB, Cui E, Lee C, Huang SS. “Are Nursing Homes Less Likely to Admit Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus Carriers?” American Journal of Infection Control 2014 Jan; 42(1):63-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ajic.2013.07.015. [PMCID: PMC4151248]
157. Noyes K, Bajorska A, Weinstock-Guttman B, Mukamel DB. “Is there Extra Cost of Institutional Care for MS Patients?” Multiple Sclerosis International 2013, Volume 2013:713627. doi: 10.1155/2013/713627. Epub 2013 Sep 14. [PMCID: PMC3791799]
158. Noyes K, Bajorska A, Wasserman EB, Weinstock-Guttman B, Mukamel D. “Transitions between SNF and Home-Based Care in Patients with Multiple Sclerosis” NeuroRehabilitation 2014 Jan 1; 34(3): 531-40. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.3233/NRE-141056. 2014 Jan 24. [Epub ahead of print].
159. Schwarzkopf R, Phan D, Hoang M, Ross S, Mukamel D. “Do Patients with Income-based Insurance Have Access to Total Joint Arthroplasty”, The Journal of Arthroplasty 2014 Jun; 29(6): 1083-1086.e1. doi: 10.1016/j.arth.2013.11.022. Epub 2013 Dec 2.
160. Mukamel DB, Weimer DL, Haeder S. “Top-Down and Bottom-Up Approaches to Health Care Quality: The Impacts of Regulation and Report Cards – A Review” Annual Review of Public Health (Invited Review) 2014 Mar 18; 35: 477-97. doi: 10.1146/annurev-publhealth-082313-115826. Epub 2013 Oct 23.
161. Mukamel DB, Fortinsky RH, White A, Harrington C, White, LM. “The Policy Implications of the Cost Structure of Home Health Agencies” Medicare and Medicaid Research Review 2014, 4(1):E1-E21. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5600/mmrr.004.01.a03. pii: mmrr2014.004.01.a03. doi: 10.5600/mmrr2014-004-01-a03. eCollection 2014. [PMCID: PMC4062313]
162. Glance LG, Kellermann A, Osler TM, Li Y, Mukamel DB, Lustick S, Eaton M, Dick A. “Hospital Readmission after Noncardiac Surgery: The Role of Major Complications” JAMA Surgery 2014 May; 149(5): 439-45. Mar 5. doi: 10.1001/jamasurg.2014.4.
163. Glance LG, Dick AW, Glantz JC, Wissler RN, Qian F, Marroquin BM, Mukamel DB, Kellerman AL. “Rates of Major Obstetrical Complications Vary Almost Fivefold Among US Hospitals” Health Affairs, 2014 Aug; 33(8): 1330-6. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2013.1359.
164. Zheng NT, Mukamel DB, Friedman B, Caprio T, Temkin-Greener H. “The Effect of Hospice on Hospitalizations of Nursing Home Residents” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2015 Feb; 16(2): 155-9.doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2014.08.010. Epub 2014 Oct 7. [PMCID: PMC4312703]
165. Temkin-Greener H; Ladwig S; Caprio T; Norton S; Quill T; Olsan T; Cai X; Mukamel DB. “Developing Palliative Care Practice Guidelines and Standards for Nursing Home Based Palliative Care Teams: A Delphi Study”, Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2015 Jan; 16(1):86.e1-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2014.10.013. Epub 2014 Dec 4.
166. Ye Z, Mukamel DB, Huang SS, Li Y, Temkin-Greener H. “Healthcare-Associated Pathogens and Nursing Home Policies and Practices: Results from a National Survey” Infection Control & Hospital Epidemiology 2015 Jul; 36(7):759-66. Epub 2015 Mar 23. doi: 10.1017/ice.2015.59. [PMCID: PMC4472566]
167. Haeder SF, Weimer DL. Mukamel DB. “California Hospital Networks Are Narrower In Marketplace Than In Commercial Plans, But Access And Quality Are Similar” Health Affairs 2015 May 1; 34(5):741-8. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2014.1406.
168. Cai S, Miller SC, Nelson DL, Mukamel DB. “The Impact of Medicaid Payer Status on Hospitalizations in Nursing Homes” Medical Care 2015 Jul; 53(7):574-81. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000375. [PMCID: PMC4467352]
169. Mukamel DB, Ye Z, Glance LG, Li Y. “Does Mandating Nursing Home Participation in Quality Reporting Make a Difference? Evidence from Massachusetts” Medical Care 2015 Aug; 53(8):713-9. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000390. [PMCID: PMC4503495]
170. Li, Y, Harrington C, Temkin-Greener H, Kai, Y, Cai X, Cen, X, Mukamel DB. “Deficiencies in Care at Nursing Homes and Racial Disparities across Homes Declined, 2006–11” Health Affairs 2015 Jul 1; 34(7):1139-46. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0094. [PMCID: PMC4618506]
171. Haeder S, Weimer DL, Mukamel DB. “Narrow Networks and the Affordable Care Act” Journal of the American Medical Directors Association 2015 Aug 18; 314(7):669-70. doi: 10.1001/jama.2015.6807. Jun 25. [Epub ahead of print].
172. Cohn DE, Havrilesky LJ, Osann K, Lipscomb J, Hsieh S, Walker JL, Wright AW, Alvarez RD, Karlan BY, Bristow RE, DiSilvestro PA, Wakabayashi MT, Morgan R, Mukamel DB (senior co-author), Wenzel L. “Consensus in Controversy: The Modified Delphi Method Applied to Gynecologic Oncology Practice” Gynecologic Oncology 2015 Sep; 138(3):712-6. doi: 10.1016/j.ygyno.2015.07.014. Epub 2015 Jul 12. [PMCID: PMC4920477]
173. Mukamel DB, Ladd H, Temkin-Greener H, Li Y, Ngo-Metzger Q. “Have Racial Disparities in Ambulatory Care Sensitive Admissions Abated over Time?” Medical Care 2015 Nov; 53(11):931-9. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000426. [PMCID: PMC4607653]
174. Schwarzkopf R, Ho J, Snir N, Mukamel DD. “Factors Influencing Discharge Destination after Total Hip Arthroplasty: A California State Database Analysis” Geriatric Orthopaedic Surgery & Rehabilitation 2015 Sep; 6(3):215-9. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1177/2151458515593778.
175. Li Y, Harrington C, Mukamel DB, Cen X, Cai X, Temkin-Greener H. “Nurse Staffing Hours At Nursing Homes With High Concentrations Of Minority Residents, 2001–11” Health Affairs (Millwood) 2015 Dec 1; 34(12):2129-37. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2015.0422. [NIHMSID: NIHMS776635]
176. Valdmanis VG, Rosko MD, Leleu H, Mukamel DB. “Assessing Overall. Technical, and Scale Efficiency among Home Health Care Agencies” Health Care Management Science 2016 Jan 4. [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1007/s10729-015-9351-1.
177. Sorkin DH, Amin A, Weimer DL, Sharit J, Ladd H, Mukamel DB. “Rationale And Study Protocol For The Nursing Home Compare Plus (NHCPlus) Randomized Controlled Trial: A Personalized Decision Aid For Patients Transitioning From The Hospital To A Skilled-Nursing Facility” Contemporary Clinical Trials 2016 Mar; 47:139-45. doi: 10.1016/j.cct.2015.12.018. Epub 2016 Jan 7. [PMCID: PMC4818159]
178. Mukamel DB, White LM, Nocon RS, Huang ES, Sharma R, Shi L, Ngo-Metzger Q. “Comparing the Cost of Caring for Medicare Beneficiaries in Federally Funded Health Centers to Other Care Settings” Health Services Research 2016 Apr; 51(2):625-44. doi: 10.1111/1475-6773.12339. Epub 2015 Jul 26. [PMCID: PMC4799905]
179. Mukamel DB, Amin A, Weimer DL, Sharit J, Ladd H, Sorkin DH. “When Patients Customize Nursing Home Ratings, Choices and Rankings Differ from the Government’s Version” Health Affairs (Millwood) 2016 Apr 1; 35(4):714-9. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1340. [PMCID: PMC4818159]
180. Wright DJ, Mukamel DB, Greenfield S, Bederman SS. “Cost Variation within Spinal Fusion Payment Groups” Spine (Phila Pa 1976) 2016 Apr 21. [Epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1097/BRS.0000000000001649.
181. Mukamel DB, Ladd H, Caprio T, Temkin-Greener H. “Prototype End-of-Life Quality Measures Based on MDS 3 Data” Medical Care 2016 Jun 3. [Epub ahead of print]. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0000000000000576
182. Haeder S, Weimer DL, Mukamel DB “California Secret Shoppers Find Access To Providers And Network Accuracy Lacking For Those In Marketplace And Commercial Plans” Health Affairs (Millwood) 2016 Jul 1; 35(7):1160-6. doi: 10.1377/hlthaff.2015.1554.
183. Cai S, Miller S, Mukamel DB. “Racial Differences in Hospitalizations among Medicare-Medicaid Dual Eligible Dying Nursing Home Residents” Journal of the American Geriatrics Society 2016 Aug 22. doi: 10.1111/jgs.14284. [Epub ahead of print].
184. Nocon RS, Lee SM, Sharma R, Ngo-Metzger Q, Mukamel DB, White LM, Shi L, Chin MH, Laiteerapong N, Huang ES. “Health Care Use and Spending for Medicaid Enrollees in Federally Qualified Health Centers versus Other Primary Care Settings”, American Journal of Public Health 2016, in press.
185. Segelman M, Intrator O, Li Y, Mukamel DB, Veazie P, Temkin-Greener H “HCBS Spending And Nursing Home Admissions For 1915(C) Waiver Enrollees” Journal of Aging and Social Policy 2016, in press.
186. Temkin-Greener H, Li Y, Xing J, Mukamel DB. “End-of-Life Care in Nursing Homes: From Care Processes to Quality” Journal of Palliative Medicine, 2016 Aug 16. [Epub ahead of print] doi: 10.1089/jpm.2016.0093.
187. Mukamel DB, Amin A, Weimer DL, Ladd H, Sharit J, Schwarzkopf R, Sorkin DH. “Personalizing Nursing Home Compare and the Discharge from Hospitals to Nursing Homes” Health Services Research, 2016, in press. Best in ARM 2016.
|Grants||R01 AG027420 Nursing Home Quality and Variations in State Regulations – NIA. PI: Dana Mukamel, 2/1/07 – 1/31/12.|
|R01 AG023177 Nursing Homes Response to Quality Indicators’ Publication - NIA. PI: Dana Mukamel, 5/1/04 - 4/30/11.|
|R01 AG023077 Team Performance and Quality of Care in Nursing Homes. NIA, PI: Helena Temkin-Greener, 09/01/05 - 08/31/10|
|R01 HS016737-01 Improving Trauma Outcomes Using Hospital Performance Reports. PI: Laurent Glance, MD, 04/01/07 - 03/31/12|
|DK-069846 Reducing Diabetes Disparities Using Community Coaches, NIDDK. PI: Sheldon Greenfield, UCI, 04/01/07 - 03/31/11|
|California Health Care Foundation (CHCF) Evaluation of California AB1629 – Payment Incentives for Nursing Homes, 8/15/10-8/15/11.|
|R01 NR010727 End-Of-Life Quality of Care in Nursing Homes, NINR. PI: Helena Temkin-Greener, 9/30/2008 - 7/31/2012.|
|R01 AG032264 State Nursing Home Technical Assistance Programs: Variation & Impact on Quality, NIA. PI: Yue Li, 03/01/12 – 08/31/13.|
|HC 0103 Barriers to Access to LTC for MS patients, National Multiple Sclerosis Society. PI: Ekaterina Noyes, 07/01/09 –06/30/12.|
|NIA Physician Referral & Mental Disorder Related Disparities in PCI or CABG Surgery, PI: Yue Li, 03/15/12 – 06/30/13.|
|R21 HS021844 Patient Centered Quality Reporting: NHCPlus, AHRQ. PI: Dana Mukamel, 09/01/12 – 08/31/16.|
|R01 MD007662 Impacts of Nursing Home Competition & State Policies on Disparities in Quality, NIMHD. PI: Yue Li., 07/03/13 – 01/31/17.|
|PCORI Ovarian Cancer Patient-Centered Decision Aid, PI: Lari Wenzel, 06/17/13 – 06/17/16.|
|PCORI Improving Palliative and End-of-Life Care in Nursing Homes, PI: Helena Temkin-Greener, 04/01/13 - 04/30/17.|
|HHSH250200460221 BPHC Program Cost Analyses Data Support, HRSA. PI: Leiyu Shi, 11/01/11-12/28/13.|
|R03 AG045495 The Effect of Payer Status on Nursing Home Residents’ Hospitalizations, NIA. PI: Shubing Cai. Consultant.|
|California HealthCare Foundation Cost of Cancer Care in California, PI: Deborah Schrag. Consultant.|
|NIA Effects of Cost-Sharing for Post-Acute Care: Evidence from Medicare Advantage. PI: Amal Trivedi. Consultant.|
|RO1 AG051719 The Costs of Home Health and Patient Outcomes, NIA. PI: Dana Mukamel, 09/01/16 – 05/31/20. Total Costs: $2,145,418.|
|73053 Understanding Consumers’ Health Care Preferences and Values. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF). PI: Dana Mukamel, 10/01/15 – 03/31/17. Total Costs: $400,000.|
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=4962|