Associate Professor of Ophthalmology & Neurology, Surgery
|Dr. Bose received his medical degree from the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi, India, and residency in Ophthalmology from New York University Medical Center, New York. In June 1993 he completed a research fellowship in Glaucoma at the Scheie Eye Institute, University of Pennsylvania. In 1994 he completed a Neuro-Ophthalmology/ Neurovascular fellowship at New York University Medical Center and, most recently, an additional two year clinical and research fellowship in Neuro-ophthalmology and Neuroplastics/Orbital surgery at the Doheny Eye Institute, University of Southern California, Los Angeles. He joined the academic faculty of the University of California, Irvine in 2000.|
Dr. Swaraj Bose is an Associate Professor of Ophthalmology and Neurology, a board certified ophthalmologist and is currently the Director of Neuro-ophthalmology and orbital surgery at the University of California, Irvine. He specializes in the medical and surgical management of patients with diseases of the eye in relation to the brain. His interests include optic neuropathies including MS, cranial nerve palsies, ocular myopathies including myasthenia gravis, thyroid eye disease, pseudotumor cerebri and eyelid/orbital tumors. Dr. Bose is experienced in performing orbital decompression in thyroid eye disease, optic nerve sheath fenestration, muscle surgery in restrictive and paralytic strabismus, lid retraction surgery, Botox injection, and complex surgeries of the head and orbit in association with maxillofacial surgeons and neurosurgeons.
Dr. Bose is an accomplished physician, surgeon and research scientist who has a long list of publications. He has presented his work across the country and abroad. Over the past year, Dr. Bose has been researching the effects of thyroid hormone on the lacrimal gland using an in-vitro model. His work in this area is considered cutting edge and has resulted, most recently, in an invitation to present the results of his research at the annual meeting for The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. He is the recipient of several research grants, including Research to Prevent Blindness (RPB).
Dr. Bose is also a scientific reviewer for both national and international journals that include Ophthalmology, Graefes' Archives of Clinical & Experimental Ophthalmology, American Journal of Ophthalology, Neurology and Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology.
Dr. Bose's academic office is located on the UC Irvine Campus. His clinic offices are located at UCI Medical Center, Pavilion II in Orange and the Gottschalk Medical Plaza in Irvine.
1. Barr D, Kupersmith M, Bose S, Turbin R, Roth R. Isolated Sixth Nerve Palsy: An Uncommon Presenting Sign of Multiple Sclerosis. Journal of Neurol, 247: 701-704, 2000.
2. Sadun A, Carelli V, Bose S, Ross-Cisneros F, Barboni P, Ahrens E. First Application of Extremely High-resolution Magnetic Resonance Imaging to Study Microscopic Features of Normal and LHON Human Optic Nerve. Ophthalmology, 109(6): 1085-91, 2002.
3. Grant A, Jain V, Bose S. Epileptic Monocular Nystagmus. Neurology, 59: 1438-1441, 2002.
4. Zhu Z, et al, Bose S, Trousdale MD. Tumor Necrosis Factor Inhibitor Gene Expression Suppresses Lacrimal Gland Immunopathology and Ocular Surface Disease in a Rabbit Model of Autoimmune Dacryoadenitis. Cornea, 22 (4): 343-351, 2003.
5. Sadun AA, Bose S. Neuro-Ophthalmology at Large, (from the) Annual Meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO). Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology, (23) 1, 83-86, March 2003.
6. Bose S. Neuro-Ophthalmology at Large. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology, (23)4: 298-300, 2003.
7. McCulley TJ, Lam BL, Bose S, Feuer WJ. The effect of optic disk edema on spontaneous venous pulsations. Am J Ophthalmol. 135(5):706-8. May; 2003
8. Bose S, Poneranz H. Neuro-Ophthalmology at Large. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology, 2004 Dec; 24(4):323-6.
9. Bose, S, Dhillon N, Ross Cisneros F, Carelli V. Relative Post-Mortem Sparing of Afferent Pupil Fibers in a Patient with 3460 Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy. Graefes’ Archives of Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. July 2005; 1-5.
10. Bose S, Pomeranz H. Neuro-Ophthalmology at Large. Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology. 2005 Dec 25 (4); 321-4.
11. Bose S, Mok AC, Fallon JH, Potkin SG, Keator D. Three month change in Cerebral Glucose Metabolism in patients with Non Arteritic Ischemic Optic Neuropathy. Graefes’ Archives of Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology. 2006 Jan, 13; 1-4
12. Bose S, Pomeranz H. “Neuro-Ophthalmology at Large”. Proceedings of “The Annual Meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), Fort Lauderdale, Florida, April 30-May 4, 2006.” Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology. 26 (3), 2006.
13. Bose S, “Neuroimaging in Neuro-Ophthalmology.” Neurosurgical Focus. 23 (5):E9, November 2007
14. Bose S, Pomeranz H. “Neuro-Ophthalmology at Large”. Proceedings of “The Annual Meeting of the Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO), Fort Lauderdale, Florida, May 6 – 10, 2007.” Journal of Neuro-Ophthalmology. 27 (4), 2007
15. Bose S, Nien C, Jester J. “Layer Specific Differences of Normal and Hyperthyroid Extraocular Muscles in C57BL/6 Mice” North American Neuro-Ophthalmology Society (NANOS) 2008.
16. Bose S, Nien CJ, Lam LT, Jester J. “Orbital and Global Layer Differences of Normal and Hyperthyroid Extraocular Muscles in C57BL/6 Mice”. IOVS. A108 Pg 286. 2008.
17. Bose S, Nien CJ, Jester J. “Mitochondrial Abnormalities in Extraocular Muscles of Hyperthyroid Mice” International Neuro-Ophthalmology Society Meeting. INOS. 2008
18. Bose S. Confocal Microscopy and neuro-ophthalmology. Asia ARVO. Hyderabad, India 2009.
|Grants||1. NIH Funded GCRC Grant: Direct Costs $30,000. Principal Investigator: Swaraj Bose, MD. Title: "Functional Assessment of the Visual Cortex Using PET Scanning in Patients with Optic Neuropathy." University of California, Irvine. 12/2000-12/2004|
|2. Allergan Study. "A One-Year, Multicenter, Open-Label Study (With A One-Year Extension) Of The Safety And Efficacy Of Brimonidine-PuriteTM 0.15% Ophthalmic Solution Administered QID In Patients With Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy." Principal Investigator: Swaraj Bose, MD. 12/2002- 8/2004.|
|3. University of California, Irvine. Grant for Research: $40,000. Project. "Tissue Culture of Rabbit Lacrimal Gland Acinar Cells and Study the Effects of Thyroid Hormone." Principal Investigator: Swaraj Bose, MD. Completed.|
|4. NIH EY 05801: Project - "Secretory Changes in Purified Lacrimal Acinar Cells in Culture." Principal Investigator: Austin Mircheff, Ph D. University of Southern California and Keck School of Medicine. Completed.7/2000-2001.|
|5. NEI EY 10550: Project - "Morphological Changes in Purified Lacrimal Acinar Cells in Culture." Principal Investigator: Joel Schechter, Ph D. University of Southern California and Keck School of Medicine. Completed. 7/2000-2001.|
|6. James H. Zumberge Fund: $50,000. Co Investigator: Swaraj Bose, MD. Principal Investigator: Steven E. Feldon, MD. Completed.9/2001.|
|7. Clinical X Grant: $60,000 (for two years) 2003-2005. University of California, Irvine. “Effect of hyperthyroidism on the mouse extraocular muscle ultra structure and mitochondria. Principal Investigator: Swaraj Bose, M.D. Current. 2003-2005.|
|8. Fight for Sight, New York. $2100. UCI Faculty Mentor. “Mitochondria in Graves’ Disease” summer 2004.|
|9. Dean’s Research Award. $ 8000.University of California, Irvine. UCI Faculty Mentor “Mitochondria in Graves’ Disease” summer 2004.|
|10. Research for the Prevention of Blindness (RPB). $20,000. Thyroid Research, Unrestricted grant. June, 2005.|
|11. Novartis Pharmaceuticals Research Grant. “A 24 month, double-blind, randomized, multi-center, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study comparing efficacy and safety of FTY720 1.25mg and 0.5mg administered orally once daily versus placebo in patients with relapsing-remitting MS.” Co-Investigator: Swaraj Bose, MD. Principal Investigator: Stanley Van Den Noort, MD. September 2007.|
|12. Pfizer Study: Case-Crossover Study of PDE5 Inhibitor Exposure as a Potential "Trigger Factor" for Acute NAION. 2009. Principal Investigator: Swaraj Bose, MD|
Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology (ARVO)
American Academy of Ophthalmology (AAO)
North American Neuro-Ophthalmological Society (NANOS)
Southern California Neuro-Ophthalmological Society (SCANOS)
|Link to this profile||http://www.faculty.uci.edu/profile.cfm?faculty_id=4861|